test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Congratulations TeamOmega!

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Congratulations TeamOmega!

After weeks of voting, the community has decided! Our new Omega design has been chosen to be created into the next Federation Carrier. Over the next month, we will be taking the Omega design and make it a reality. Stay tuned as we take you through building and modeling the ship!

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The problem with popularity contests is that the percentage of people who voted against the design they didn't like won't like the winner.
    However, if you don't do a single elimination style, you run the risk of a heavily fractured percentage-base. Imagine the winner having won because they got 14% of the votes rather than this case (60%+)
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Even though I was Team Alpha, I actually don't mind the rest of the Omega design... as long as something's done about those spindly little "look like they'll break if you try using Evasive Manuvers" nacelle pylons.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    I for one voted for Omega I believe.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    What would be really cool would be a cross faction raider design contest. Kind of like how the origin of the b'rel is a romulan designed ship with tech the empire put into it(being how romulans in TOS era had D7's). Which ever one wins it could have a phase battle cloak based on the prototype of the uss pegasus and klingon and romulan collaboration. Just saying I do like the design of the omega.

This is a good way to know what players want to some degree I just hope its not going to be limited to just one side of the game.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    I want a recount >:)
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    Yay now make sure we get two hangers and some sweet pets for her too. My zen will be standing by
  • Options
    svindal777 wrote: »
    Now now svindal777, this isn't space Florida.

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,390 Arc User

Better yet, i want a Nebula based carrier design. Didn't like any of the designs brought up for voting.
    Either i didn't like the aesthetics, i considered the design unsuited for a carrier or both​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User

Nor is is Space Minnesota. We had to recount for our US Senator one year if I remember correctly.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

Better yet, i want a Nebula based carrier design. Didn't like any of the designs brought up for voting.
    Either i didn't like the aesthetics, i considered the design unsuited for a carrier or both​​
    That's why I liked Beta and Delta. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User

Think of the hanging chads.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Congratulations to the Chimera and Odyssey on not looking half bad anymore...
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Even though I was Team Alpha, I actually don't mind the rest of the Omega design... as long as something's done about those spindly little "look like they'll break if you try using Evasive Manuvers" nacelle pylons.

I agree.

I think most people feel this way.

I know Trendy you have said that the design won't change based off the fact that the model shown is what people were voting for, but I think this is an exception. Most people wanted the Omega, however, those spindly lower engines are a sore spot for nearly everyone.

How about another vote? 'Keep the micro engines' or 'Upgrade them to the same size as the top ones'

Please Trendy, before the ship is set in stone (sent to the Devs to create). :)
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps

No hanging chads, Governor-Brothers or Sigma-leaning Supreme Courts to deal with!
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    The problem with popularity contests is that the percentage of people who voted against the design they didn't like won't like the winner.
    However, if you don't do a single elimination style, you run the risk of a heavily fractured percentage-base. Imagine the winner having won because they got 14% of the votes rather than this case (60%+)

Sounds like the UK's terrible 'First past the post' election voting system.

Whatever happened to that electoral reform everyone was talking about? SNP, UKIP and Greens dropped of a petition (since they always work) but nothing since.

Back on topic, the face-lifted Jupiter class winning isn't much of a revelation if we're honest. If you guys ever do this for a cruiser in the future be sure to add the Typhoon, or better yet just get straight to work on that one ;)​​
  • Options
    djmarr1964djmarr1964 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    when do we find out about who has won the ships and how to claim them
    The True King In The North
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    djmarr1964 wrote: »
    when do we find out about who has won the ships and how to claim them

It isn't a competition to with this ship, it's a design a ship to eventually buy said ship..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I called this on the first vote of Alpha/Beta. I'm awesome. Next time just ask me and save all the silly voting. o:)
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    Do you know why I don't play Fed? Coz all the ships looks the same, and this one won't change that.
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Bah-Humbug...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    Democracy! Congrats all. :)

#OmegaForPresident
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    Omega!!! WOO!!!

Now can I have a Typhoon? Please

TAKE MY MONEY!!!! CAPITAL LETTERZ!!!!!!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    YES!!!!! Omega looks like a Typhoon and Jupiter don't you think?
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    Now she will be built and I will have the pleasure of comanding her as she brings doom to those that stand in her way!!!!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User

Lies! LIES!!!!

I've booked your appointment in the agony booth. Tomorrow at 15:30 ...

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    wakeoflovewakeoflove Member Posts: 103 Arc User

I agree.

I think most people feel this way.

I know Trendy you have said that the design won't change based off the fact that the model shown is what people were voting for, but I think this is an exception. Most people wanted the Omega, however, those spindly lower engines are a sore spot for nearly everyone.

How about another vote? 'Keep the micro engines' or 'Upgrade them to the same size as the top ones'

Please Trendy, before the ship is set in stone (sent to the Devs to create). :)

To this, I must quote myself:
    wakeoflove wrote: »

To those talking about "spindly, fragile nacelles." and "giant bay doors are just a target." The design direction discussed by Doug Drexler, who was one of the ship designers of star trek, was that the ships were intended to look impossible. The original enterprise had a long, thin, spindly neck and long, thin, spindly pylons that anyone should look at and think "those can't possibly support those structures." that's supposed to be part of the allure. That technology in the future, what with better alloys and structural integrity fields, is capable of designs that don't look like they should make sense to our "ape brain" as Drexler calls it. Mr. Drexler stated that he feels it was a mistake for the design direction of some ships to "thicken up the pylons" and things as it looks like the technology got less advanced.

Additionally, according to much of treknology, our ships would fly themselves apart without their structural integrity fields and shields and the like. The ship itself without structural integrity fields and shields wouldn't be all that durable, even with the advanced alloys/materials they are made of. Additionally, the federation, and generally all species in star trek, design their ships around shields for defenses. They do try their best to make their ships robust in their own right, but I think the theory of construction is that no physical defense would match the defense of shields, and there are diminishing returns associated with increasing the mass of your ship with heavy structures and heavy armor.

I imagine the thinking behind "spindly pylons/nacelles" that are "obvious and vulnerable targets" is that, without shields, your pylons/nacelles are likely going to get blown off anyway, so there's not much point in trying to reinforce them to take more damage in their own right, just build them in a way that works and then make sure you slap the best shield matrix/generators you can on the ship to protect them.

Also, those big hangar bays are obviously shielded, and again, shields in star trek are far more powerful than physical defenses, so one could argue that those hangar bays are one of the best defended parts of the ship, given they have their own dedicated shields.

Also, here is a link to a youtube video in which interested parties can hear Drexler's discussion of his opinion of spindly pylons when discussing his design of the Enterprise J, and how he envisions a future in which star trek ships might have bluetooth- like, "wireless" nacelles that aren't even physically connected to the ship.

It's quite lengthy, so these links should take you to the time index where he specifically talks about "spindly pylons":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeB35O3zQ_A&feature=youtu.be&t=15m43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeB35O3zQ_A&feature=youtu.be&t=31m28s

questerius wrote: »

To this, I point to my sig >> And yus, I support more nebula/miranda-configured ship designs in the shipyards. And the mission pod would be an excellent part of the ship to re-purpose into a hangar deck
    NebulaOdyssey1_zpsqjc6anjg.jpg
    The Nebula-configured Odyssey needs to be a thing.
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Tyranny of the majority.

Also, hanging chads.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    So, do we get to vote on more stuff, like seating, and starship traits? I want to lose more votes!
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    I voted Alpha but I liked both designs; they are pretty similar. I can live with this. :)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »

Lies! LIES!!!!

I've booked your appointment in the agony booth. Tomorrow at 15:30 ...

Noooooo not the agony booth!