test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My idea for making stf queues more active

my idea is to make stfs the way they use to be when i first played the game if you completed the borg stfs you would get the borg set which was a good incentive to do the borg stfs not only that but the teams would work together better because
they have something to work toward's

when you do stf's today everyone is doing there own thing and there is no team work unless you do it as a fleet or private queue

i think if there were special sets you could get from stfs like there use to be the queues would be more active
but hey thats just me

what do you guys think

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    Technically... it still works that way because the sets are tied to the reps, and the reps are associated with specific content, therefore to get the sets you need to play associated content. The way it used to be was you'd have a CHANCE at the piece to get the special gear in each specific STF. And that chance meant some people could do well over 100 STF runs and get nothing while someone else could get 50 in a row. The RNG really hated some people and loved others.

While I agree that we need some way to revitalize teamwork, I don't think going back to the Random Number Gods will do it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    You mean go back to the system where you spent 30 minutes doing a que for a 2% chance of getting one piece of a set?

Yeah.. no thanks. The current system is much better. Having to grind the same ques hundreds of times trying to get that one specific drop was not my idea of fun. It was changed because people hated it.

Getting ques active again is a simple process. People play ques that reward well in proportion to the time spent doing the mission. The most popular ques are the quick ones like ISA, CCA, etc that give useful rewards for minimal time invested. People avoid overly complex or long ques that are difficult for auto formed public groups to complete.

Like it or not, the way to get people into a que is make the que fairly short with straight forward objectives that are accessible to public groups. Those will always have the highest population, that's just how it is. Most rewards in this game require a repetition of tasks over an extended period in order to obtain the resources required for the goal. People want to get it over with as quickly and as easily as possible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I would suggest Cryptic to choose a random ground and space queue each weak and add extra rewards on it. Maybe something relative unique like an Omega Upgrade Kit, or Omega Fragments. Something consumable, ideally also tradeable. Even if it can be gotten only once a day, you know the kind of run on Crystalline Event and Mirror Invasions.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Just bring back hourly's...bonus XP, bonus rewards... that should be enough. But they don't seem to like the hourly's for some reason
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I would suggest Cryptic to choose a random ground and space queue each weak and add extra rewards on it. Maybe something relative unique like an Omega Upgrade Kit, or Omega Fragments. Something consumable, ideally also tradeable. Even if it can be gotten only once a day, you know the kind of run on Crystalline Event and Mirror Invasions.​​

This has been my preferred method as well, and I believe it's an excelent idea.

They should have a 'featured que' that changes weekly. For that period, be it 1 or 2 weeks, the rewards for that one specific que are increased along with a special 'once a day' reward as you suggested. Rather it was an elite mark, a special R&D kit, an upgrade component.. whatever.

A system like this would go a long way toward getting people to try new mission ques.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Just bring back hourly's...bonus XP, bonus rewards... that should be enough. But they don't seem to like the hourly's for some reason

+1

There were always people doing the hourly queues. I loved the fleet mark hourly - you could do colony invasion as much as you wanted then. There was no one queuing for it yesterday and we have a mark bonus week going!

I haven't done a vault run since there was an hourly for it.

Why did they remove them???
  • eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    [...]Getting ques active again is a simple process. People play ques that reward well in proportion to the time spent doing the mission. The most popular ques are the quick ones like ISA, CCA, etc that give useful rewards for minimal time invested. People avoid overly complex or long ques that are difficult for auto formed public groups to complete.

Like it or not, the way to get people into a que is make the que fairly short with straight forward objectives that are accessible to public groups. Those will always have the highest population, that's just how it is. Most rewards in this game require a repetition of tasks over an extended period in order to obtain the resources required for the goal. People want to get it over with as quickly and as easily as possible.
    I half agree with you. Queues shouldnt be dumbed down so that they get popular. Increase rewards (mainly XP Id say) instead to get the same ratio of time/effort as the currently popular STFs.

I think they should introduce a system that would reward you for completing sets of missions, e.g. "do all the borg space ones" or "do all space ones".
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

This has been my preferred method as well, and I believe it's an excelent idea.

They should have a 'featured que' that changes weekly. For that period, be it 1 or 2 weeks, the rewards for that one specific que are increased along with a special 'once a day' reward as you suggested. Rather it was an elite mark, a special R&D kit, an upgrade component.. whatever.

A system like this would go a long way toward getting people to try new mission ques.

These are both great ideas, its that sort of thing that would get players involved again provided the time/reward ratio was good enough.
    In other words make sure the reward is good enough to make doing an old or outdated pve queue attractive.

I think a modernized version of the old pve rewards system would be acceptable. Nobody wants to grind for hours to get a minor chance of a piece of a space set, but add in a small chance of a decent rare reward consumable and people will be more attracted. That's what the old elites did anyway, you had a small change to walk away with 11 BNP's, that was nearly 4000 dilithium for 15 minutes work. That is why they were popular.
    SulMatuul.png
  • anarricanarric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I would love if the hourlies came back; but I would also kill for all the individual marks to go away and make 1 uniform Rep Mark, so no matter what you do, what you queue, you can put it toward which ever rep you want. Some traits are better than others but those queues are ghost towns :( I imagen the same thing will soon happen to borg disconnect.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    r24681012 wrote: »
    do it as a fleet or private queue
    That's it right there. Friends don't let friends PUG.

• shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    As noted, this is a simple, proven idea... which raises the question, 'why hasn't it been applied to some of these derelict queues?'
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    Just bring back hourly's...bonus XP, bonus rewards... that should be enough.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    All wrong. The most important thing to bringing queues back is eliminating "any marks rewards" from events like Crystalline Catastrophe, Elachi Alert Weekend, and Shuttle Weekend. People just wait for those weekends to get the marks that they need. And now it's even worse, since people can trade 100 marks for advanced marks.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    r24681012 wrote: »
    my idea is to make stfs the way they use to be when i first played the game if you completed the borg stfs you would get the borg set which was a good incentive to do the borg stfs not only that but the teams would work together better because
    they have something to work toward's

when you do stf's today everyone is doing there own thing and there is no team work unless you do it as a fleet or private queue

i think if there were special sets you could get from stfs like there use to be the queues would be more active
    but hey thats just me

what do you guys think

The thing about Set pieces or unique items, is that all you need is the one and you're done. That's pretty much why Reputation queues are dead, because people are done with them. Only way to increase the plays with item drops is to increase the rarity, so determined people would keep coming back. But given it's somewhat attempted that in the past with Tech Drops, I don't think people would be too enthusiastic in repeating history.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Bring live back to queues?

Hand out more free upgrade related stuff since that seems to be the main wall for peeps.

- 1 superior tech upgrade added to all queues on all difficulties (different ones for different missions)
    - 1 Salvage tech & a chance to drop 5 tech booster for advanced
    - 2 Salvage techs & a chance to drop 5 quality booster for elite.
    - More Dil for upgrading in form of more rep marks for any queue with a -:- time to pop estimation.
    - Terminate the c-stor sale of crafting boxes and redirect any special event ships back to doff packs.

New currency?

- Mod-Selector token for a crafted items: 1 for normal; 2 for advanced; 3 for elite (make em bound to account if u have to to get peeps to play)

If XP is supposed to be earned elsewhere make PvE maps all about upgrades because they are the only contend which need the upgrades in the first place.

As if anybody would make epic builds on shiney new ships for battle zones and story contend. Perhaps it’s time to wake up Cryptic.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated