test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the biggest(size) ship in STO?

Just Curious, whats the biggest ship in STO? (size) I am guessing the Scimitar? Is this correct?

Best Answer

• Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited October 2015 Answer ✓
    Playable? Elachi Shesar dreadnought. NPC? Borg Unimatrix. Overall in Star Trek? Probably Voth fortress, V'Ger or Whale probe ship

latest?cb=20131117104405

Post edited by tmassx on

Answers

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Playable? Scimitar NPC? The Voth dread
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015

No, the biggest NPC is the Voth fortress ship. The damn thing is in Eldar Craftworld territory. Its gun turrets are as big as most cruisers.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

No, the biggest NPC is the Voth fortress ship. The damn thing is in Eldar Craftworld territory. Its gun turrets are as big as most cruisers.

That's if you consider it a ship instead of a background prop/map, the biggest NPC ship is the Unimatrix ship, followed by the Voth Citadel and borg cubes, then the Tholian tarantula the Breen rezreth (please cryptic, make it the winter event ship), Jem'hadar Dreadnought and Romulan dreadnought.
  • Options
    tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Here you go, from the small to the Colossal:

comparison_small.png

comparison_medium.png

comparison_large.png

comparison_huge.png

Damn near everything:

original.jpg

Earth and The Moon compared to the Deathstars:

white-house-responds-to-petition-to-build-a-death-star-size-comparison.jpeg

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh & by the way, it ONLY took The Galactic Empire 6 months to build the Deathstar II.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Oh & by the way, it ONLY took The Galactic Empire 6 months to build the Deathstar II.

says who? i thought they started constructing the second one shortly after luke blew up the first, and there was a 4 year gap between the battle of yavin and the battle of endor​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    forf4ckssake#8527 forf4ckssake Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Are we not forgetting the Dyson/Jenolan and other Sphere's ?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,826 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »

That's if you consider it a ship instead of a background prop/map, the biggest NPC ship is the Unimatrix ship, followed by the Voth Citadel and borg cubes, then the Tholian tarantula the Breen rezreth (please cryptic, make it the winter event ship), Jem'hadar Dreadnought and Romulan dreadnought.

Why would anyone consider it a back ground prop? We've flown around it and inside it...it's a ship.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

Why would anyone consider it a back ground prop? We've flown around it and inside it...it's a ship.
    because ships can move, be selected and targeted, have weapons that can't be individually targeted and destroyed and one or more abilities it can use on itself or enemy targets; the fortress has none of those

it's a giant space cave​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

comparison_small.png

comparison_medium.png

comparison_large.png

comparison_huge.png

Damn near everything:

original.jpg

LOL
    I like the Damn Near Everything Chart.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options

says who? i thought they started constructing the second one shortly after luke blew up the first, and there was a 4 year gap between the battle of yavin and the battle of endor​​

I stand corrected; according to the EU novel Shadows of the Empire approximately 60% of the Deathstar II was completed in the six month period before ROTJ.

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    this topic makes me think of two guys standing at a urinal trying trying to decides whos is bigger
  • Options

says who? i thought they started constructing the second one shortly after luke blew up the first, and there was a 4 year gap between the battle of yavin and the battle of endor

I stand corrected; according to the EU novel Shadows of the Empire approximately 60% of the Deathstar II was completed in the six month period before ROTJ.

even 60% complete in a six month period seems way too fast, even for the empire - especially when it took them 19 years to FINISH constructing the first one after 'liberating' it from seperatist control, and that one was only, what - 1/7th the size?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    this topic makes me think of two guys standing at a urinal trying trying to decides whos is bigger

Heh...

I WIN!
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    even 60% complete in a six month period seems way too fast, even for the empire - especially when it took them 19 years to FINISH constructing the first one after 'liberating' it from seperatist control, and that one was only, what - 1/7th the size?​​
    It seems too fast for our context, but for a galactic civilisation with tens of millions of inhabited worlds and population sizes exceeding quintillions? Six months seems too long.
  • Options
    stofsk wrote: »
    even 60% complete in a six month period seems way too fast, even for the empire - especially when it took them 19 years to FINISH constructing the first one after 'liberating' it from seperatist control, and that one was only, what - 1/7th the size?
    It seems too fast for our context, but for a galactic civilisation with tens of millions of inhabited worlds and population sizes exceeding quintillions? Six months seems too long.

then why did it take them NINETEEN YEARS to finish a station 1/7 the size that was already roughly 30% completed by the end of the clone wars?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    even 60% complete in a six month period seems way too fast, even for the empire - especially when it took them 19 years to FINISH constructing the first one after 'liberating' it from seperatist control, and that one was only, what - 1/7th the size?

then why did it take them NINETEEN YEARS to finish a station 1/7 the size that was already roughly 30% completed by the end of the clone wars?​​

Getting the hang of it I guess? Or perhaps the Empire was still in the process of forming itself to full efficiency. However I am a little unaware of the timeline scales of Star Wars.

*Looks at the damn near everything picture* Oh my gravity well ship vore senses are tingling at that picture, I just want to see them all bunch up, and form a new star with those chain reacting blasts! mwuhauha! *Casts gravity well MK 9000*
  • Options

The first DS required a great deal more R&D (lol -- Emperor Palpatine did NOT want to spend 18 TRILLION TRILLION refined dilithium to "Finish Now" across thousands of different crafting schools-- lol).

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_II

"...Different from the Empire's first Death Star, which, as a result of supply and design problems, took twenty-one years to be considered an operational battlestation, this much larger Death Star took far less time to construct. Methods of faster construction had been developed in the years since the original station's conception, added to the fact that Imperial engineers made sure to allocate enough space on the station for the maximum possible amount of self-replicating construction droids..."

• Options
    starke1701starke1701 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Are we not forgetting the Dyson/Jenolan and other Sphere's ?

Megastructures will dwarf pretty much everything on that list. So that includes stuff like Halo's Dyson rings or Star Trek's Dyson shells.

We're talking about a jump from something that's, roughly, 2AU in diameter in comparison to things that are, at most, a couple km.
  • Options
    ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User

comparison_small.png

comparison_medium.png

comparison_large.png

comparison_huge.png

Damn near everything:

original.jpg

Mada of gawd. I have been looking for something like this for ages. Thanks bruh!

• Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    STO has an scaling problem, the scimitar is not supposed to be bigger than the D'D, yet in game is way bigger, the Jem dread is supposed to be the biggest playable ship with its 1500m, but it looks way smaller, the Narcine is not supposed to be that big, the game says it's 1800m long, but if you check the series you'll see the Narcine is not as big as 18 NX-01
  • Options
    starke1701starke1701 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    STO has an scaling problem, the scimitar is not supposed to be bigger than the D'D, yet in game is way bigger, the Jem dread is supposed to be the biggest playable ship with its 1500m, but it looks way smaller, the Narcine is not supposed to be that big, the game says it's 1800m long, but if you check the series you'll see the Narcine is not as big as 18 NX-01

To be fair, some of that is a gameplay consideration. Can you imagine how aggravating it would be to try to actually find and attack a Defiant-class ship if the game was scaled correctly?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    starke1701 wrote: »

To be fair, some of that is a gameplay consideration. Can you imagine how aggravating it would be to try to actually find and attack a Defiant-class ship if the game was scaled correctly?

The game is scaled "creatively" for the same reason almost all visual media involving space are. To make it interesting to look at. Space is big, there is no realistic reason for two ships to be in visual range of eachother unless they're trying to dock. If the game was scaled correctly, all ships would mostly appear as target markers in the black. But that would be boring.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ccs46 wrote: »

comparison_small.png

comparison_medium.png

comparison_large.png

comparison_huge.png

Damn near everything:

original.jpg

Mada of gawd. I have been looking for something like this for ages. Thanks bruh!
    You know, what I find the coolest about these charts is not so much the 'Big Boys' on the block. It's the the little guys, the shuttles & small freighters. If you look just above & below the 2001 Space Odyssey's Orion Clipper, you'll see Doctor Who's TARDIS and Spaceballs' Eagle 5 Winnebago. B)

Oh & yippie! Hip, hip hooray! 100 posts! lol :)

Post edited by tigrovaya13akula on
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Size isn't the real important factor, volume is. Some of the large ships have holes, are flat or etc that detract from volume but still give the impression of 'big'.