test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Iconian Disaster

Well the last mission is here, did they nail it, NO. What a way to end a mission. Kind of not thought it through and I would politely ask you take your writers into the parking lot, place them against the wall and shoot them. The Iconians are plain and simple, aggressive, always have been. There probe tech shuts down ships and there gate way tech which they used to invade other worlds was used 200.000 years ago to invade worlds, It wasn't until they banded together and were forced to leave the galaxy into sub space.

They spent years observing races and there development, planning on how to invade the entire galaxy. Yeah using the Elachi was good, the fact they fled from a world that is now the Romulan home world. The better ending would have been this.

The Krenim weapon dissolved the Iconians from history, restoring the Romulan home world, and a few other races along the way, also a few other unknown effects. The Borg did not need to come into the missions and assimilate the Romulan Home world. The Romulan Star Empire could have been returned and they could then be used as a FULL faction with new sectors and missions to be released at a later date. There would of been way, way much more you could of done with this, I think Cryptic were stuck or afraid to make a big choice in this and went for.

"oh hello, remember me, Yeah the guy you been fighting with in the last eight featured missions, the same guy that caused all them deaths 200.000 years ago. No, what if I show you this lovely blue orb here, OHHHH now you remember..... I love you man..... No I love you man.... Lets love everyone and make peace, forget about how you killed BILLIONS of people, destroyed half the galaxy, destroyed most of the ships in the entire Federation, Kdf and Republic, and not to mention whipped out an entire Empire by making not one, but TWO Stars go SUPER NOVA"

It's okay for you to hold a grudge for 200.000 years and then kill everyone, why was it not okay to wipe you from existence. Cryptic, Yes you have failed on a galactic scale here. Please, please try again. Just delete that mission, forget we played it and redo it. I would be all for it. Oh and hire some new writers as you shot the last ones. WIN!

Comments

• Options
    typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Unfortunately you are so right on the ball, Cryptic took the easy way around ending the conflict, more of the same and they said or claimed it would change the game, more less everything is more set in stone. I am more conflicted after this arc, nothing is going to change. I think the foundry community could have done a better job, or if we had modders. But, again that makes way to much sense.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • Options
    xinaerkxinaerk Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It was interesting and intriguing... Until SELA decided to play a 4 year old spoiled little girl and blew it hard. It could bring so much more to the STO episodes returning to a previosly played episode in which you see yourself just like the one with Q and the borg cubes.

The history could have been we return with the blue ball thingie from the past along with a fleshy M'Tara for the amezement of the present day Iconians or a servitor or an enemy ship or enemy soldier carcass to make them see and... Bringing a NEW threat in the form of those that bombarded the planet (OR those that made them a catspaw way back when) originally, because they wanted the iconians rendered unable to travel in time forcing them into subspace... with more baddies to bring WITH the option to BUY in the C-STORE an Iconian Iccobar or etc ship.

They dropped the ball so hard it is sad...

WE could have the Slaver Empire back or the enemies of the Taguans... But no, Cryptic decided to drop the ball. I'm so frustrated.
  • Options
    xanwulfxanwulf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just finished this mission, playing at level 40 having not seen the rest of the story. I thought it would build after the impressive fleet flight at Sol. Nope. Klingon turned into ... something weaker than Worf. Sela couldn't find her spine until the very end--next time she should bring her own landing party, not just tag along.

Really weak. Ok, you want to set things up for Andromeda? There are better ways to do this. I thought we were into a real conflict point with T'kal, something that would build to a fight with them at the gateway and a moment of difference--but no....

Predestination paradoxes suck to play through as much as to live through, it seems. I guess that's Star Trek for you. Even after the militarization of the Borg, then Dominion, then Klingon war, they'll snap back to happiness and flowers at the drop of a hat. (Klingons, too!)

Maybe the Foundary community can create the "Real Iconian War Ending" mission?

Bah,
    Khanwulf
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    I still want to know how an Iconian could have known about Romulans 200,000 years ago, when they still were cave-dwelling monkeys on Vulcan.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    craigthemastercraigthemaster Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    lindaleff wrote: »
    I still want to know how an Iconian could have known about Romulans 200,000 years ago, when they still were cave-dwelling monkeys on Vulcan.

LMFAO, That is an interesting point, and surly they wouldn't have taken 200.000 years to make Hobus go Super Nova. I am left scratching my head in confusion as to why they bottled it.

• Options
    xanwulf wrote: »
    Just finished this mission, playing at level 40 having not seen the rest of the story. I thought it would build after the impressive fleet flight at Sol. Nope. Klingon turned into ... something weaker than Worf. Sela couldn't find her spine until the very end--next time she should bring her own landing party, not just tag along.

Really weak. Ok, you want to set things up for Andromeda? There are better ways to do this. I thought we were into a real conflict point with T'kal, something that would build to a fight with them at the gateway and a moment of difference--but no....

Predestination paradoxes suck to play through as much as to live through, it seems. I guess that's Star Trek for you. Even after the militarization of the Borg, then Dominion, then Klingon war, they'll snap back to happiness and flowers at the drop of a hat. (Klingons, too!)

Maybe the Foundary community can create the "Real Iconian War Ending" mission?

Bah,
    Khanwulf

I agree, the start with the space battle is great, but that's all Cryptic seem to be good at, making space fights. I think we should of stuck it to a vote, three story ark choices. Easy way outs suck. Really not looking forward to Season 11.

• Options
    cirte86cirte86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Spoilers below

i dont like the ending to. Was to... ya "easy". There were outlanders 200.000 years ago, helped the iconians to escape. YA IT WAS ME!

Otherwise: how it should have endet? Change the Timeline? Romulus restored, Iconians all died after the escape try.

It was really the easy way and really, i thought i had some choices of i help the iconians or not, sad all endet same.

Otherwise the Klingon said: The Alliance cant stand against the iconians, the krenim weapon were the last Chance and it was, we traveled back helped the iconians. They remember and ya all happy. Billion died, whole nations erased but who cares. We are still in "war" with T'ket so we can still fight against the heralds ^.^
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    cirte86 wrote: »
    They remember and ya all happy. Billion died, whole nations erased but who cares. We are still in "war" with T'ket so we can still fight against the heralds ^.^
    Of course we are happy, even more people were going to die and we averted that. maybe we could have killed the Iconians and averted the war - but what would we come back to? Maybe a wonderful, peaceful present where everything is sunshine and rainbows and eat targ hearts for breakfast - or maybe half the Alpha Quadrant got assimilated by the Borg, or half the Beta Quadrant is under control of the Dewan Star Empire.​​
    Post edited by mustrumridcully0 on
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    They remember and ya all happy. Billion died, whole nations erased but who cares. We are still in "war" with T'ket so we can still fight against the heralds ^.^
    Of course we are happy, even more people were going to die and we averted that. maybe we could have killed the Iconians and averted the war - but what would we come back to? Maybe a wonderful, peaceful present where everything is sunshine and rainbows and targ hearts for breakfast - or maybe half the Alpha Quadrant got assimilated by the Borg, or half the Beta Quadrant is under control of the Dewan Star Empire.​​
    Yeah, really.... just stop and think about all the races that have been mentioned as being old space faring civs..... How many of them would be mighty empires now if we changed history like that?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I think the ending was pretty great. It preserves the timeline, explains the loose ends, ends the war without removing the option of using Heralds (of T'Ket) as enemies in the future and lets the feddybears keep their ideals.

Sela's temper tantrum was strictly necessary. As one of the possible player responses makes it clear, it was a predestination paradox. It had already happened, it was the reason the Iconians went all evil and invasion-y.

T'Ket's "Romulan" -line was a bit contrived, but explainable since Kagran had been there for some time already.

As usual, there could've been more meaningful player choices. As it is, the mission had a good amount of dialogue options, but few of them seemed to affect anything. I only noticed one time where Sela had clearly different lines based on whether I agreed with her or not.

But mostly it was great.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The Iconians are plain and simple, aggressive, always have been. There probe tech shuts down ships and there gate way tech which they used to invade other worlds was used 200.000 years ago to invade worlds, It wasn't until they banded together and were forced to leave the galaxy into sub space.
    History is written by the victors.
  • Options
    Of course we are happy, even more people were going to die and we averted that. maybe we could have killed the Iconians and averted the war - but what would we come back to? Maybe a wonderful, peaceful present where everything is sunshine and rainbows and targ hearts for breakfast - or maybe half the Alpha Quadrant got assimilated by the Borg, or half the Beta Quadrant is under control of the Dewan Star Empire.​​
    Yeah, really.... just stop and think about all the races that have been mentioned as being old space faring civs..... How many of them would be mighty empires now if we changed history like that?
    An interesting question would be - what happened to species like the Icobar? Did they murder each other eventually? It seems unlikely it was the Iconians.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Well the last mission is here, did they nail it, NO. What a way to end a mission. Kind of not thought it through and I would politely ask you take your writers into the parking lot, place them against the wall and shoot them.
    Wow, totally uncalled for. You kiss yo momma with that mouth?
    The Iconians are plain and simple, aggressive, always have been. There probe tech shuts down ships
    And Phasers and Torpedoes can damage and destroy ships. Does that make Starfleet evil or agressive? No.
    and there gate way tech which they used to invade other worlds was used 200.000 years ago to invade worlds
    No they didn't. The game says so.
    The Krenim weapon dissolved the Iconians from history
    No it didn't. It erased an asteroid that would lead to the discovery of Iconia.
    Erasing the Iconians from time was discussed but agreed to have desastrous consequences on the development of power structures in the quadrant over the next 200000 years.
    "oh hello, remember me, Yeah the guy you been fighting with in the last eight featured missions, the same guy that caused all them deaths 200.000 years ago. No, what if I show you this lovely blue orb here, OHHHH now you remember..... I love you man..... No I love you man.... Lets love everyone and make peace, forget about how you killed BILLIONS of people, destroyed half the galaxy, destroyed most of the ships in the entire Federation, Kdf and Republic, and not to mention whipped out an entire Empire by making not one, but TWO Stars go SUPER NOVA"
    Text book Star Trek ending. If you don't like that, this is the wrong franchise for you.
    It's okay for you to hold a grudge for 200.000 years and then kill everyone, why was it not okay to wipe you from existence.
    Because we are not them.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Well the last mission is here, did they nail it, NO. What a way to end a mission. Kind of not thought it through and I would politely ask you take your writers into the parking lot, place them against the wall and shoot them.
    Wow, totally uncalled for. You kiss yo momma with that mouth?
    The Iconians are plain and simple, aggressive, always have been. There probe tech shuts down ships
    And Phasers and Torpedoes can damage and destroy ships. Does that make Starfleet evil or agressive? No.
    and there gate way tech which they used to invade other worlds was used 200.000 years ago to invade worlds
    No they didn't. The game says so.
    The Krenim weapon dissolved the Iconians from history
    No it didn't. It erased an asteroid that would lead to the discovery of Iconia.
    Erasing the Iconians from time was discussed but agreed to have desastrous consequences on the development of power structures in the quadrant over the next 200000 years.
    Text book Star Trek ending. If you don't like that, this is the wrong franchise for you.
    It's okay for you to hold a grudge for 200.000 years and then kill everyone, why was it not okay to wipe you from existence.
    Because we are not them.

It was a weak ending, anyone saying otherwise firmly has there tongue placed where the sun don't shine. It was an easy ending. Was not a text book ending, just an ending and a poor one at that. Seriously if you think that was good you must be reading some poor children's stories.
  • Options
    It was a weak ending, anyone saying otherwise firmly has there tongue placed where the sun don't shine.
    No. Anyone saying otherwise simply has a diferrent opinion than you.
    Also, why are you so agressive? Did you get beat up by a schoolyard bully or something?

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    An interesting question would be - what happened to species like the Icobar? Did they murder each other eventually? It seems unlikely it was the Iconians.
    Interesting questions....

The Iccobar were definitely warmongers. It's possible their fate was similar to that of the Iconians(destroyed by a coalition of their enemies).

The Dinasians... definitely seemed to want to create bioweapons. Maybe they killed themselves with them?

The other race? not sure what their name was. But they complained about repeated plagues afflicting their race.... maybe they succumbed?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Seriously, this was a great Feature Episode in my opinion. I do admit we got our share of notoriously bad stuff in the past (*coughs* Harry Kim and the Kobali... Doing puzzle jumps while being forced to listen to Harry's emo soliloquies... *pukes*), but i have always found the Iconian-centered episodes to be pretty interesting and well-built.

I do admit, the plot became sort of predictable the moment that TRIBBLE Sela went all "let's deprive them of any hope of survival while they're defenseless and about to be obliterated." So far, it had always been uncertain whether or not the Iconians were truely evil, or just simply victims of the jealousy of less advanced species, so all in all it's only natural the conflict would end on a positive note instead of just total annihilation of the Iconian civilization. To be honest, i didn't really like the direction the game had been taking with the new storyarc (Really, all those war propaganda posters during the loading screens... Was i seriously playing a Star Trek game?), so i did found that last Feature Episode pretty refreshing.

I also think the predestination paradox idea is rather clever, and definitely in the mood of a classic TNG episode.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Of course we are happy, even more people were going to die and we averted that. maybe we could have killed the Iconians and averted the war - but what would we come back to? Maybe a wonderful, peaceful present where everything is sunshine and rainbows and targ hearts for breakfast - or maybe half the Alpha Quadrant got assimilated by the Borg, or half the Beta Quadrant is under control of the Dewan Star Empire.

The Iccobar were definitely warmongers. It's possible their fate was similar to that of the Iconians(destroyed by a coalition of their enemies).

The Dinasians... definitely seemed to want to create bioweapons. Maybe they killed themselves with them?

The other race? not sure what their name was. But they complained about repeated plagues afflicting their race.... maybe they succumbed?
    That might make sense...

It also occured to me - Iconia might have been evacuated and the World Heart been lost to time, but there was probably still plenty of stuff lying around that the coalition forces might have taken apart and reverese engineered - and maybe the worries of the Iconians were justified, and they basically destroyed themselves (or each other) with technology they were not ready for.​​
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

That’s the only thing that bugged me as well there. Other than that I liked the ending of the Iconian war just fine.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    caltircaltir Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Another illogical mission by the Cryptic Team. *Spoliers below*

I was desperately trying the whole mission to complete the objectives, ie., kill all Iconians. Never had I been given the opportunity to do so: regardless of your answers, you end up with saving them instead of eliminating them for good.

At the end, you bargain for peace with the two remaining Iconians. There would have been no war at all, and countless lives would not have been lost, if there hadn't been any war to begin with! Kill those 12 survivors and we spare billions of lives on Romulus and countless other worlds and onboard of all those starships we lost in combat. If the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the 12, then it was the most ethical and humane thing to do!
  • Options
    Of course we are happy, even more people were going to die and we averted that. maybe we could have killed the Iconians and averted the war - but what would we come back to? Maybe a wonderful, peaceful present where everything is sunshine and rainbows and targ hearts for breakfast - or maybe half the Alpha Quadrant got assimilated by the Borg, or half the Beta Quadrant is under control of the Dewan Star Empire.

That might make sense...

It also occured to me - Iconia might have been evacuated and the World Heart been lost to time, but there was probably still plenty of stuff lying around that the coalition forces might have taken apart and reverese engineered - and maybe the worries of the Iconians were justified, and they basically destroyed themselves (or each other) with technology they were not ready for.​​
    Or maybe they started fighting over it and that lead to a disastrous war? Perhaps a war made more disastrous by failed attempts at replicating Iconian tech.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Well, they're obviously not around anymore. In fact, Dinasia II is where House Pegh took place. The planet has been under quarantine since the 23nd century or something.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    Seriously, this was a great Feature Episode in my opinion. I do admit we got our share of notoriously bad stuff in the past (*coughs* Harry Kim and the Kobali... Doing puzzle jumps while being forced to listen to Harry's emo soliloquies... *pukes*), but i have always found the Iconian-centered episodes to be pretty interesting and well-built.

I do admit, the plot became sort of predictable the moment that TRIBBLE Sela went all "let's deprive them of any hope of survival while they're defenseless and about to be obliterated." So far, it had always been uncertain whether or not the Iconians were truely evil, or just simply victims of the jealousy of less advanced species, so all in all it's only natural the conflict would end on a positive note instead of just total annihilation of the Iconian civilization. To be honest, i didn't really like the direction the game had been taking with the new storyarc (Really, all those war propaganda posters during the loading screens... Was i seriously playing a Star Trek game?), so i did found that last Feature Episode pretty refreshing.

I also think the predestination paradox idea is rather clever, and definitely in the mood of a classic TNG episode.

The fact they used Sela as a way out was too easy. The Krenim weapon was designed to dissolve portions of the time line. All of a sudden you can go back in time. And right at the moment there just about to get invaded too. And the little blue orb that saved the Galaxy. What a load of Goo lol. There is nothing to reference any of this happening in any Star Trek T.v, Film and game and they stretched it to a breaking pint where i just ended up being really bad ending.

A few of the missions are okay, Harry Kim should stay dead, and don't get me started on Kurland, Dam that guy.....
  • Options

That might make sense...

Or maybe they started fighting over it and that lead to a disastrous war? Perhaps a war made more disastrous by failed attempts at replicating Iconian tech.

It don't matter what happened to the other races, it was 200.000 years ago, most civilizations don't last that long, you have wars, disease, natural disasters. A lot can happen. Fact is, there all gone, maybe they grew up and moved on to bigger and better things.
  • Options
    caltir wrote: »
    Another illogical mission by the Cryptic Team. *Spoliers below*

I was desperately trying the whole mission to complete the objectives, ie., kill all Iconians. Never had I been given the opportunity to do so: regardless of your answers, you end up with saving them instead of eliminating them for good.

At the end, you bargain for peace with the two remaining Iconians. There would have been no war at all, and countless lives would not have been lost, if there hadn't been any war to begin with! Kill those 12 survivors and we spare billions of lives on Romulus and countless other worlds and onboard of all those starships we lost in combat. If the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the 12, then it was the most ethical and humane thing to do!

God that's so right, I completely agree. Restoring the Romulan Empire would of had so much more interesting things. Could of opened up a lot of doors for further story arks. The Romulans would of been an interesting enemy. A great full faction with new stories and missions, new sectors of space. Well never mind. We can always have another go at the Iconians.
  • Options

That’s the only thing that bugged me as well there. Other than that I liked the ending of the Iconian war just fine.

There was no way they could of known, Romulans, Klingons and Humans were all cave people chucking stones at one another. Weird.
  • Options

That might make sense...

It don't matter what happened to the other races, it was 200.000 years ago, most civilizations don't last that long, you have wars, disease, natural disasters. A lot can happen. Fact is, there all gone, maybe they grew up and moved on to bigger and better things.
    It's not a yes or no question though. It's highly qualitative. How long did they live on before finally dying out? what did they do while they were here? Those can leave the universe a very different place.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Every time someone complains about something that's different from straightforward murder murder kill kill death, I want to punch them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    There was no way they could of known, Romulans, Klingons and Humans were all cave people chucking stones at one another. Weird.
    There are plenty of ways they could've known. You just lack immagination.
    For example, they could've read it somewhere on Sela's outfit. Remember how we were scanned at the start?
    I'm sure she's got a badge somewhere that has the word Romulan on it, among others.
    Or Kagran coul've mentioned her race in the two weeks he was there. Or Sela mentioned it herself "offscreen".
    Or they screwed up during production and forgot to add "For Romulus!!" in that cutscene. Because that's what she actually yells in the german version.

2bnb7apx.jpg