Install Arc
Options

How the Iconian War Should Have Ended

2»

Comments

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    4) Add a Oh S! moment by having Iconian Planet Killers appear and ready to attack the Earth. Either the Earth is destroyed as you enter the portal (with the time ship) and return moments before the beam is fired. Or you enter the portal before the beam is fired and return just in time to stop the beam from being fired.

No.
    Serious, no ... lets stop giving everyone and their mother a "planet killer", its the same trash that polluted Star Wars EU with superweapons being so commonplace and the whole "destroying a planet" became so common place that lacks any impact.

Not doing and just having the Iconians taking Sol was far better, also more damaging and making more sense ... if they wanted and could destroy entire planets with Death Stars they would never bothered in taking worlds.

This right here is what makes me so angry with the people who complain that the Iconian War wasn't a war. I feel like the main reason people didn't like the Iconian War was because they were expecting another Dominion or the Vorlons or the Reapers and Cryptic didn't give it to them. Cryptic showed the Iconians as a race who performed guerrilla warfare tactics with Superior Firepower and Thinking With Portals via the Heralds. They didn't need to blow up planets to show they meant business because they could drop in and out of anywhere whenever they wanted. They were essentially the boogeyman with energy blasting staves.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    4) Add a Oh S! moment by having Iconian Planet Killers appear and ready to attack the Earth. Either the Earth is destroyed as you enter the portal (with the time ship) and return moments before the beam is fired. Or you enter the portal before the beam is fired and return just in time to stop the beam from being fired.

No.
    Serious, no ... lets stop giving everyone and their mother a "planet killer", its the same trash that polluted Star Wars EU with superweapons being so commonplace and the whole "destroying a planet" became so common place that lacks any impact.

Not doing and just having the Iconians taking Sol was far better, also more damaging and making more sense ... if they wanted and could destroy entire planets with Death Stars they would never bothered in taking worlds.

This right here is what makes me so angry with the people who complain that the Iconian War wasn't a war. I feel like the main reason people didn't like the Iconian War was because they were expecting another Dominion or the Vorlons or the Reapers and Cryptic didn't give it to them. Cryptic showed the Iconians as a race who performed guerrilla warfare tactics with Superior Firepower and Thinking With Portals via the Heralds. They didn't need to blow up planets to show they meant business because they could drop in and out of anywhere whenever they wanted. They were essentially the boogeyman with energy blasting staves.

No, we say it wasn't a war because nothing freaking happened outside of a handful of missions where the Iconians were smacked around repeatedly and our only losses were due to Klingon stupidity.

A few badly written blogs outside of the game do not a war make.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    hippiejon wrote: »
    I did not find this better than the actual ending. Sorry.
    Honestly, "Midnight" is one of the better pieces of content Cryptic has ever put out.
    I don't see the need for a fan-fic rewrite of something that ended peacefully and very Trek like into another Section 31 bluff.
    Just my opinion.
    Written well, I just see no need for your rewrite and I don't think your vision is "How the Iconian War Should Have Ended"

Your thread title should be "How I FEEL the Iconian War should Have Ended."
    protogoth wrote: »
    How it should have ended was with me being sent to SFA, seeing Sela, drawing my side arm, and killing her in front of the startled onlookers. Then ...
    I activate my combracer. "Open a channel to the Proconsul's office, Priority Tal'Diann Zero-Zero-One."
    Communications Officer: "Ie, Fvillhu."
    I speak again: "Jolan'tru, Proconsul. It is done. The Pretender is dead, in front of witnesses. I will have her corpse brought to ch'Mol'Rihan for verification."
    The voice of D'Tan: "Well done, t'Charvon. Your people owe you a great debt. Stop by my office in Hachae s'Temer when you're finished with the pleasantries."
    I speak once more: "Ie, Rekkhai."
    Then I walk over to the stunned audience, tag the body for transport, and the discussion proceeds as it did, with one extra bit of dialogue in which I point out the facts that I executed a dangerous escaped prisoner and that the action was an internal matter of the Republic, and without me ever having to hear the voice of incompetent condescension or pretend remorse again.

"Wait for Sela to finish speaking."
    *turns bright green with rage, draws Honor Blade, and ends her speaking right then and there*

I prefer protogoth's ending to hippiejon's since it means the player gets to kill Sela.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    lizwei wrote: »

No.

No, we say it wasn't a war because nothing freaking happened outside of a handful of missions where the Iconians were smacked around repeatedly and our only losses were due to Klingon stupidity.

A few badly written blogs outside of the game do not a war make.

This "war" never felt like it happened in-game. Sure we ran the PvE and episode missions, but it wasn't in the atmosphere of the game--like the Borg. If anything, we are constantly fighting the Borg; that war remains the focal point of the game.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Actually, many players didn't complain about that, but rather how it didn't feel like a war in other aspects:
    -where are the casualty reports?
    -where are the funerals being held?
    -where are the over-filled sickbays?
    -where are the officers and civilians breaking down in ESD?
    -where the timed red alerts?
    -where are the Heralds suddenly and randomly showing up during a normal mission?
    -where are the Heralds suddenly having a probe disable your ship's shields and boarding it without any warning while you're travelling?
    -where are the new Doff assignments related to the war, like providing relief to attacked colonies, defending an outpost, trying to learn more about the Iconians, etc...?

Even if the Iconian method is usually "strike hard and teleport away just to make a point", you could still make in-game events around this.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Actually, many players didn't complain about that, but rather how it didn't feel like a war in other aspects:
    -where are the Heralds suddenly and randomly showing up during a normal mission?
    -where are the Heralds suddenly having a probe disable your ship's shields and boarding it without any warning while you're travelling?
    -where are the new Doff assignments related to the war, like providing relief to attacked colonies, defending an outpost, trying to learn more about the Iconians, etc...?

Even if the Iconian method is usually "strike hard and teleport away just to make a point", you could still make in-game events around this.

Those would have been great devices to make the war more real to the players. I like the idea of having DOFF missions that dealt with the Iconian war. Since T'Ket is still out there, having those type of DOFF misison would be worth keeping.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    1) No Stupid World Heart, because it was a lame Deus Ex Machina that never once was mentioned throughout STO and made zero sense that Iconians ended the war because of it.

Disagreeing twice. First, it makes sense that the Iconians would end a war for getting their lost cultural knowledge back in my eyes. But I think that is a lesser point.

More importantly, I don't see the WH as a deus ex machina. It doesn't have any powers (we use) in and of itself. What ended the war wasn't "activating the omega 13 device" and suddenly everything is better. What happened is that we are the others, and we just needed to remind L'Miren of that fact. That we helped them escape and tried to help them defend. The same could have been done by a lot of different McGuffins, like a branch of a tree Kagran broke of in the park as a memento, like a line of a po

Well, the funerals... probably not too many going on, since there will be not too many bodies recovered.

Everything else would need special instancing just for the players who have started the arc but not yet finished it. For us now all of this is the past since we ended the war so nothing of this would apply to us anymore. In other missions of other arcs the Iconians cannot drop in because the war as it is hadn't started back then. And in a couple of months time this will be "just another arc" which players play through in a couple of game days, so all these instances would be deserted. Which would make the solo red alerts a lot of fun... While it would have been nice from an immersion point of view, I just don't think it is feasible.

My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    "You see," Drake said, "the Dominion has a better relationship with the Federation than with the Romulans. With the aid of a Vorta, I was able to have a meeting with one of the Founders and explain the dilemma. Lucky for us, Odo has had enough influence on the Great Link that I was able to persuade the Founders to spare a few ships for the cause."

Section 31 tried to commit genocide against the Founders. To claim they are closer to the Federation than the Romulans isn't very realistic. They aren't close to either of them and dislike them both grudgingly even with Odo, who also doesn't like Section 31.

"Do you honestly think they would have kept their word? In time, they would have subjugated the quadrants like they did with their Heralds and treated those who did not follow their guidance as undeserving and unwanted children. Or have you forgotten what you saw on Iconia?"

They changed their ways once, they can't again?

Rest is just sad rationalizing of genocide.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    I do think that without their military leader and the destruction of the World Heart, the remaining Iconians would be lost and give up the fight--retreating back into the sphere and possibly back to the Andromeda Galaxy.

Based on what? Given they complete changed their civilization to war and revenge?

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    How it should have ended was with me being sent to SFA, seeing Sela, drawing my side arm, and killing her in front of the startled onlookers. Then ...
    I activate my combracer. "Open a channel to the Proconsul's office, Priority Tal'Diann Zero-Zero-One."
    Communications Officer: "Ie, Fvillhu."
    I speak again: "Jolan'tru, Proconsul. It is done. The Pretender is dead, in front of witnesses. I will have her corpse brought to ch'Mol'Rihan for verification."
    The voice of D'Tan: "Well done, t'Charvon. Your people owe you a great debt. Stop by my office in Hachae s'Temer when you're finished with the pleasantries."
    I speak once more: "Ie, Rekkhai."
    Then I walk over to the stunned audience, tag the body for transport, and the discussion proceeds as it did, with one extra bit of dialogue in which I point out the facts that I executed a dangerous escaped prisoner and that the action was an internal matter of the Republic, and without me ever having to hear the voice of incompetent condescension or pretend remorse again.

This option would have suited my Reman very, very well too, as payback for Virinat and Crateris. I'm sure Obisek would have applauded her for it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Those would have been great devices to make the war more real to the players. I like the idea of having DOFF missions that dealt with the Iconian war. Since T'Ket is still out there, having those type of DOFF misison would be worth keeping.
    Hehe, you should have been around for when Loriss and Karu'kan invaded DS9. :p We had an FE where DS9 was captured by hostile forces, and we didn't recapture it until several episodes later. BUT, outside the FEs nothing really happened. Well they added Hathon, but Hathon is locked to that part of the story and doesn't recognize the state of the game before or after.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Everything else would need special instancing just for the players who have started the arc but not yet finished it. For us now all of this is the past since we ended the war so nothing of this would apply to us anymore. In other missions of other arcs the Iconians cannot drop in because the war as it is hadn't started back then. And in a couple of months time this will be "just another arc" which players play through in a couple of game days, so all these instances would be deserted. Which would make the solo red alerts a lot of fun... While it would have been nice from an immersion point of view, I just don't think it is feasible.
    You mean like how the Iconian Sphere only shows up for those who finish Uneasy Allies? Like how Bug Hunt only appears in the list if you finished Dragon's Deceit once? Like how New Romulus is called Dewa III if you're Romulan until you settle for it as the new homeworld.

And even if it would be only possible for sector space and PvE queues, there are workarounds that already exist, like having a visible NPC that you can only interact with if you've started the Iconian War episode and who sends you and your crew into either another medbay or a funeral place thanks to the many doors in ESD, or even having ESD allows you to choose between between "Dock" and "Dock (Iconian War)" to lead you to a different instance of ESD.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Congratz, your story has L'Miren and T'Ket killed.

Now, how about those 9 other Iconians who now have absolutely nothing to lose... Their leaders have been killed by treachery, the World Heart is gone forever and with it any hope to restore their civilization, the Other is believed to have been plotting their demise all along, they still have plenty of ships around Earth and a big Dyson Sphere near Iconia.

How is that even remotely better than having the sane Iconian leader leave with all her fleet with the promise to leave you alone, with just her sister being still sour about having to deal with a peaceful resolution.

No, a better ending would have been to have L'Miren giving you a device to visit her and have friendly chats together without T'Ket knowing it.

When I wrote this, I had assumed that all 11 Iconians were aboard the ship to witness the destruction of the Alliance. L'Miren and T'Ket just happened to be the ones on the bridge commanding the forces. I do think that without their military leader and the destruction of the World Heart, the remaining Iconians would be lost and give up the fight--retreating back into the sphere and possibly back to the Andromeda Galaxy.

There's still the megastructure that was moved into Jupiter's orbit to contend with too. I'd imagine there was at least one Iconian onboard that overseeing its deployment, which was likely how they were going to destroy the Sol system. So the gambit of attacking the Iconian flagship and killing their leaders would still result in the loss of the heart of the Federation.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    You mean like how the Iconian Sphere only shows up for those who finish Uneasy Allies? Like how Bug Hunt only appears in the list if you finished Dragon's Deceit once? Like how New Romulus is called Dewa III if you're Romulan until you settle for it as the new homeworld.

And even if it would be only possible for sector space and PvE queues, there are workarounds that already exist, like having a visible NPC that you can only interact with if you've started the Iconian War episode and who sends you and your crew into either another medbay or a funeral place thanks to the many doors in ESD, or even having ESD allows you to choose between between "Dock" and "Dock (Iconian War)" to lead you to a different instance of ESD.

One of those things you listed actually works, too! I don't know how it is since the sector space revamp, since my characters all did Uneasy Allies with the old sector space, but the sphere was there at Iconia before doing Uneasy Allies. I specifically went to look before doing the mission and made a joke about spoilers. New Romulus currently says both New Romulus and Dewa over the star in sector space, as well. So all that we have that shows progression in the storyline in the game properly is what gets unlocked on the queue list.

Edit: Just checked on a little-used alt account character who definitely has not done Uneasy Allies, and the sphere is there in the Iconia system, clear as day. Also looked at New Romulus, and it still has the New Romulus System and Dewa III layered on top of each other.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

This would be possible. Yes. But an Iconian War sector space would still be deserted. Having pop ups, special names, maybe some ships flying around for you if you were to be in that arc would be possible. But do not forget that unlike your examples this war arc ends. Once you're done with the final episode, none of this should be in space for you no more. PvE queues is a different matter, but asking for stuff in sector space would be work that would not be reachable by us now and only for a short time by future players.

My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    iggyvosseniggyvossen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Well, I just read the OP, and it looks like there are people who do not realise that Star Trek is not about pew pew pew, kill everything out there and blowing things up.