test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why did they (Iconians) kill the Preservers?

War's over, but I don't think this was ever explained.

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    couldn't risk someone older, more powerful then, them helping us or even existing. or that my guess from the way they act.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    They knew how to stop the Iconians. So they destroyed the Preservers.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • ggsimmonds84ggsimmonds84 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Better question, how did the Preservers know about the Iconian's new attitude?
    The Iconians were peaceful hippies like the Federation until their civilization was destroyed.

How do the Preservers keep up with current events? Maybe I need to replay that episode
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    ^Best guess, the Preservers' installation itself was keeping tabs on events.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Because plot. We needed to be reminded that they are/were the bad guys.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I meant what was the big secret? What exactly was it that the Iconians didn't want anyone to know? It was a pretty big event, with incredible thoroughness.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    How do you know all of the Preservers are dead? They don't seem like the kind of people who would build only one archive. Perhaps in later Exploration missions we learn of another Preserver Archive, or even of dozens spread out across the galaxy.

As for how they know about modern stuff: it is implied that from time to time Preservers are woken to explore the galaxy to see what their children are up to, returning to download new information into their data storage. It is then possible that when a Preserver is woken to interact with the modern world, the latest updates are downloaded into his brain.
  • arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    There are other preservers still, just not ones that we know of in such large numbers. M'Tara killed that archive partly because the preservers knew about Iconian weaknesses, but mainly for story to show that they were capable of destroying planets, and not in a mood for diplomacy.

"Know that your death brings me no joy, but the story demands it."
    She would have punched Worf if he had been there too.
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    arachnaas wrote: »
    There are other preservers still, just not ones that we know of in such large numbers. M'Tara killed that archive partly because the preservers knew about Iconian weaknesses, but mainly for story to show that they were capable of destroying planets, and not in a mood for diplomacy.

"Know that your death brings me no joy, but the story demands it."
    She would have punched Worf if he had been there too.

Bad writing 101. You do not imply a weakness and then never follow up on it.
    This is basically what happened in Mass Effect, though this isn't as bad as you only end up appeasing the paranoid genocidal lunatics and not actively working for them.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Preservers knew that the way to kill an Iconian was with a Bat'Leth. They also knew that you shouldn't stop and philosophise while you are doing it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The Preservers knew that the way to kill an Iconian was with a Bat'Leth. They also knew that you shouldn't stop and philosophise while you are doing it.

He never had a chance. "The honorable warrior always wins" and I don't remember T'ket's minions firing an omega particle beam at Kahless, or interfering with the fight in any other way.
  • nostalgiamannostalgiaman Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    T'ket cheated first, she used massive genetic engineering to become a godlike energy being. Just ask Basheer about that. ;)
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    That's one of the things that bothers me about this Iconian War, is that the Preservers had no reason to die. Given earlier dialogue they had no weapons and wouldn't give weapons to be used. And I bet if T'ket didn't arrive, they would've declined us.

So the Preservers didn't have to die.

Also goes with the logic about this stupid war. If it was all was because of Sela, then what was the point of the Iconians dragging almost every sentient species into this war in the first place? Would've been more logical if the Iconians merely wanted to restablish their Empire and was taking any means necessary. But nope, not it. Starting to feel like Divide et Imperia had a better plot.
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Would've been more logical if the Iconians merely wanted to restablish their Empire and was taking any means necessary. But nope, not it. Starting to feel like Divide et Imperia had a better plot.

That is what they were doing. As a result of the Lesser Races rallying against them, it's clear that mistrust, open contempt, and outright hatred borne through as far as their approach to reasserting themselves. They couldn't simply return to Iconia and restore it. They need to eliminate the Lesser Races as potential threats.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    They killed off the Preservers for the same reason that Taris got killed off: Crytpic had been ignoring them for so long that they pretty much had to do something with them, but they had never really thought about what to do with them in the first place when they left them hanging years ago. So they were simply written out of the plot in the most expedient manner possible- by killing them off.
    edited September 2015
    farshore wrote: »
    That is what they were doing. As a result of the Lesser Races rallying against them, it's clear that mistrust, open contempt, and outright hatred borne through as far as their approach to reasserting themselves. They couldn't simply return to Iconia and restore it. They need to eliminate the Lesser Races as potential threats.

Thats a reasonable explaination, but that plot has never been elaborated.
    Replay the mission again, but this time actually pay attention.

Sela did nothing but draw the ire of the Iconians into destroying her homeworld outright.

It is YOU who tells T'ket she should live so she can claim vengeance for her fallen race. And given T'kets already mental instability, she was going to wage on on the various species reagrdless of Sela.

Sela did nothing but caus the Iconians to hate Romulans just a little bit more then the other races.

The Iconian WAR however, had nothing to do with her actions.

You should take your own advice since it was specifically stated a couple of times that Sela's action IS the reason for the war.

The Iconians never got revenge on the Icobar or the other races that turned Iconia into a desert for millenia. The Preservers did nothing to the Iconians and T'ket destroyed them all along with their planet. The Delta Quadrant species had zero interaction with the Romulans (prior to the gate) and they were dragged into wars. The Undine had nothing to do with the Romulans and dragged into starting wars. And the Alpha Quadrant races pretty much were enemies with the Romulans. So by what logic does getting other species to start wars have to do with getting revenge on the Romulans?

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    This is pure speculation, but given T'Ket's attitude toward the war, it could be that she was afraid the Preservers would identify the Other and end the war before it even really got started. That would further require her to convince M'Tara that the Preservers had to be eliminated, but that doesn't seem altogether far-fetched.
    The Iconians never got revenge on the Icobar or the other races that turned Iconia into a desert for millenia. The Preservers did nothing to the Iconians and T'ket destroyed them all along with their planet. The Delta Quadrant species had zero interaction with the Romulans (prior to the gate) and they were dragged into wars. The Undine had nothing to do with the Romulans and dragged into starting wars. And the Alpha Quadrant races pretty much were enemies with the Romulans. So by what logic does getting other species to start wars have to do with getting revenge on the Romulans?

Trying to reconcile their actions in the 'present' with what went down in the past is just a headache IMO. Their motivations are really strange.

They recognized Romulans despite them not existing yet. And kept a grudge long enough to specifically target the Romulans for extinction (but not the Vulcans). Yet they helped Sela rise to power, and even had her as a captive for a prolonged period of time without recognizing her.

On the other hand-they didn't notice the potential six or so Klingons (if you went with an all klingon team) that *did* help them escape-one of them even shielding them with their body-not in the potential millenia of time in which they were aware of the Klingons existence through the Hurq were they able to put one and one together-instead they are one of the few species specifically targeted by the Iconians. By genetically engineering the Feklhri to attempt to murder them all. Yet spend five seconds in the same room with one of them while holding their magic ball, and they instantly recognize you specifically.

They forget their millennia-long quest to subjugate/exterminate all life that might challenge them (and apparently not even only in this galaxy, since they have at least one base in the Andromeda galaxy) the moment we show up and wave that bauble under their noses, despite taking a decidedly 'ends justify the means' approach in the past, murdering the preservers, for example. For another, their treatment of the Dewans, whom they not only abandoned immediately (this takes place right after they go through the gate) and even sabotage the gate to exterminate them as a species. In fact, the episode entirely ignores the dewans, despite them being their 'servitors' at this time (I think Cryptic is trying to sweep under the rug the 'iconians have always been evil jerks' personna the have been running with for ages)

Iconians come across as rather insane, IMO. And this episode didn't really help that.
    Trying to reconcile their actions in the 'present' with what went down in the past is just a headache IMO. Their motivations are really strange.

They recognized Romulans despite them not existing yet. And kept a grudge long enough to specifically target the Romulans for extinction (but not the Vulcans). Yet they helped Sela rise to power, and even had her as a captive for a prolonged period of time without recognizing her.

On the other hand-they didn't notice the potential six or so Klingons (if you went with an all klingon team) that *did* help them escape-one of them even shielding them with their body-not in the potential millenia of time in which they were aware of the Klingons existence through the Hurq were they able to put one and one together-instead they are one of the few species specifically targeted by the Iconians. By genetically engineering the Feklhri to attempt to murder them all. Yet spend five seconds in the same room with one of them while holding their magic ball, and they instantly recognize you specifically.

They forget their millennia-long quest to subjugate/exterminate all life that might challenge them (and apparently not even only in this galaxy, since they have at least one base in the Andromeda galaxy) the moment we show up and wave that bauble under their noses, despite taking a decidedly 'ends justify the means' approach in the past, murdering the preservers, for example. For another, their treatment of the Dewans, whom they not only abandoned immediately (this takes place right after they go through the gate) and even sabotage the gate to exterminate them as a species. In fact, the episode entirely ignores the dewans, despite them being their 'servitors' at this time (I think Cryptic is trying to sweep under the rug the 'iconians have always been evil jerks' personna the have been running with for ages)

Iconians come across as rather insane, IMO. And this episode didn't really help that.

Exactly, instead of resolution it created more questions.

And I forgot about the Andromeda Galaxy, because the Kelvans could be another innocent race that was caught up in this Iconian war. Because they were forced to flee the Andromeda Galaxy millenia ago, to find a new home because of raising radiation. Since the Iconians were hiding there, begs the question if they were responsible?
  • ggsimmonds84ggsimmonds84 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    farshore wrote: »

Thats a reasonable explaination, but that plot has never been elaborated.
    Replay the mission again, but this time actually pay attention.

Sela did nothing but draw the ire of the Iconians into destroying her homeworld outright.

It is YOU who tells T'ket she should live so she can claim vengeance for her fallen race. And given T'kets already mental instability, she was going to wage on on the various species reagrdless of Sela.

Sela did nothing but caus the Iconians to hate Romulans just a little bit more then the other races.

The Iconian WAR however, had nothing to do with her actions.

You should take your own advice since it was specifically stated a couple of times that Sela's action IS the reason for the war.

Granted it is late and maybe I need some sleep, but your post makes no sense. It is almost as if you contradict yourself.

Iconians were going to get their revenge anyway, what Sela did was just make sure that the Romulans received "special" treatment.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    About how the Iconians knew Sela was a Romulan
    1) Kagran might have told them, probably also in an effort to gain their trust so he could fulfill the plan.
    • Kagran had no reason to conceal their races from them, since the plan at the time of their arrival was to kill all Iconians. No survivors that could plot their revenge against Sela or the Romulans or the entire Galaxy. But even if he had reason to expect they would not achieve this goal - the Iconians did attack everyone, not just the Klingons, Romulans and all the species in my personal away team. Everyone. Knowing a specific race's name is meaningless.
    • If you want to lie, you keep your story simple. Making up false alien races is not simple.
    2) It could be that Sela herself or anyone on the away team mentions it. The cut scene before we go off to save the World Heart implies that the group was seperate for a while, as the different away team members (both NPCs and BOFFs) are coming slowly together.

About the Preservers
    We might never learn why they were targeted - which was kinda the point of killing them.
    But my guess would be that the Preservers might know enough about the Iconian physiology and genetics that they could have helped us defeat them. The talk with the Preserver suggested that the Iconians themselves didn't realize how much they have changed after the destruction of Iconia.
    The Preservers might have known specific weaknesses or even have the ability to undo the Iconian alterations. Or they might be able to repeat the modifications and apply them to us, so we can defend ourselves.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    1) Kagran might have told them, probably also in an effort to gain their trust so he could fulfill the plan.
    • Kagran had no reason to conceal their races from them, since the plan at the time of their arrival was to kill all Iconians. No survivors that could plot their revenge against Sela or the Romulans or the entire Galaxy. But even if he had reason to expect they would not achieve this goal - the Iconians did attack everyone, not just the Klingons, Romulans and all the species in my personal away team. Everyone. Knowing a specific race's name is meaningless.
    • If you want to lie, you keep your story simple. Making up false alien races is not simple.
    2) It could be that Sela herself or anyone on the away team mentions it. The cut scene before we go off to save the World Heart implies that the group was seperate for a while, as the different away team members (both NPCs and BOFFs) are coming slowly together.

Curiously, that would shift the 'fault' of the destruction of Romulus to Kagran, which I don't think is what the devs intended. At any rate, 'Romulan' was never mentioned in the episode, so it's not really a concrete answer to the problem of how the Iconians knew to target the folks of Romulus instead of any other vulcanoid species. As far as we know, they didn't exterminate the mintakans who are visually indistinguishable from Romulans, not did they go after the Vulcans. At the same time, they can't tell that their near holy-status 'other' might have themselves been of the same species as Sela.
    About the Preservers
    We might never learn why they were targeted - which was kinda the point of killing them.
    But my guess would be that the Preservers might know enough about the Iconian physiology and genetics that they could have helped us defeat them. The talk with the Preserver suggested that the Iconians themselves didn't realize how much they have changed after the destruction of Iconia.
    The Preservers might have known specific weaknesses or even have the ability to undo the Iconian alterations. Or they might be able to repeat the modifications and apply them to us, so we can defend ourselves.​​

Again, I don't think the 'Iconians are clueless' excuse goes very far to establishing a 'memorable' villain. There wasn't anything the Preservers could have conceivably shared that would have been of military interest. Iconians aren't even biological creatures anymore, so any information on their genetics or physiology would be be utterly useless. And the preservers themselves were complete pacifists. There was no good reason for the genocide.
    edited September 2015
    [Thats a reasonable explaination, but that plot has never been elaborated.
    Granted it is late and maybe I need some sleep, but your post makes no sense. It is almost as if you contradict yourself.

Iconians were going to get their revenge anyway, what Sela did was just make sure that the Romulans received "special" treatment.

I would assume the former. As I said the focus was about Sela attacking the Iconians. Remember she said, "I was the cause of Hobus". This was shortly after T'ket said he would remember the Romulans because of it.

There was nothing in the dialogue that even hinted that the war was because they "dropped the ball" (aka World Heart).
      You know, I can't deny that Kagren could've told them. But realistically I just can't fathom him giving out racial specifics. "I got friends coming through the portal. One's a human, the other is a Romulan in a Dominion ship". Seems like an odd thing to say given the Iconians in the past wouldn't know anything about these races.
      About the Preservers

That's the part that I feel contradicts the Iconian ending. Because in the Breen Arc, did they not say they wouldn't give technology that could cause harm to another?
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      edited September 2015
      That's one of the things that bothers me about this Iconian War, is that the Preservers had no reason to die. Given earlier dialogue they had no weapons and wouldn't give weapons to be used. And I bet if T'ket didn't arrive, they would've declined us.

So the Preservers didn't have to die...

The Preserver who was slain in the cut scene was in the act of accessing data on the Iconians, which he intended to give to the PC.

The Iconians discovered we had knowledge of the Preservers, and acted specifically on those Preservers of whom we were aware. They got the information from the data banks on New Romulus.

But, with all their time as the supreme species of the galaxy, did the Iconians never meet Preservers? Of course they did. The Iconians most likely knew the location of every Preserver in the universe, especially since Preservers were still active as late as Earth's Holocene Epoch.

The Iconians chose that specific target because it was a military intelligence asset of their enemy. It was almost as if the Iconians were sad that we had found it, thus forcing them to destroy it.

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
      brian334 wrote: »
      The Iconians chose that specific target because it was a military intelligence asset of their enemy. It was almost as if the Iconians were sad that we had found it, thus forcing them to destroy it.

They were sad, at least M'Tara was. When the Preserver tries talking her down, M'Tara pretty much says that it's far too late to stop this and says it in a defeated tone.