Install Arc
Options

New ship class: Super Dreadnaught

2»

Comments

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    So, basically, a mini Twitch Plays STO!

Gonna be glorious during a Borg Disconnected run.

"-Bring me closer to the disconnected ship, I can free it!
    -No, we can destroy those probes before!
    -No, let me free that ship! Damnit, I now have a plasma DOT that's messing my interaction!
    -I activate FAW to take it down faster!
    -Jeez, now you've aggro'd a sphere and 2 more probes! Argh and they've just inflicted two plasma DOTs after my hazard emitters went on cooldown!
    -Use science team, we have the Ablative Field Projector trait.
    -No, because we agreed to replace it with Predictive Algorithms."
    -etc...
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    Just....no...... and people on the forums complain about cryptic being non cannon? Ideas like this are even worse.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    That thing is ugly as hell! :neutral:
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    hakon007hakon007 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    That thing is ugly as hell! :neutral:

LOL incase no one got the reference i noticed similarities between an intrepid's shape and this 'small" ship called a cobra from a game called gothic:
    pre00.deviantart.net/d835/th/pre/f/2014/006/5/1/battlefleet_gothic_imperial_ships_size_comparison_by_cheeselover555-d713ipz.png

I sleeked the design and added warp nacells to make it look more federation like.

For those saying if they could do a 2 person ship then next would be 4 or 5 person ships, note the bigger ships that could be used as inspiration all of them feature an intrepid/promethius style front but theres a lot more mass taking up the body of the ship
  • Options
    stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    It sounds good, but i don't think cryptic will ever made such a ship. Also theres too many types of ships in this game already. I hope cryptic concentrate on content and of course dealing with bugs as they occur.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Step 1) Make your own starship with Paint
    Step 2) Pretend it to be the best ship in game because "you made it"
    Step 3) Add suffixes like -super to it
    Step 4) Don't be surprised if everyone laughs.

A bad enough... thing that when I opened the image my MacBook Pro's 15" Retina display lost resolution and downscaled from 2880x1800 to 1440x900.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'd rather see 5 starships form a megazord, personally.

actually that be kinda neat once, actually if I remember right they had one in one of the power rangers.

and it have to be a Q episode. because it be funny

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    laferrari1 wrote: »

A bad enough... thing that when I opened the image my MacBook Pro's 15" Retina display lost resolution and downscaled from 2880x1800 to 1440x900.

maybe because i used OS paintbrush and set the image too 1400x700? just a thought.
    and got a better name for something bigger then a dreadnaught or cruiser?
    its easy to judge, hard to be creative.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I had to hit delete on a post that would have been quite improper, in favor of something a bit more civil. No, No, and hhhhhhhhayelllllllllllllzzzzzzz NO!
  • Options
    kyrrok wrote: »
    I had to hit delete on a post that would have been quite improper, in favor of something a bit more civil. No, No, and hhhhhhhhayelllllllllllllzzzzzzz NO!

bIHnuch
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    hakon007 wrote: »
    kyrrok wrote: »

bIHnuch

How so?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    adamkafei wrote: »

How so?

perhaps in fear of an infraction
  • Options
    thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    So effectively, you'd have only partial control over your ship while other players control the missing bits. Doesn't sound like much fun to me to be honest.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    1) that pic is hideous

2) how would this affect queues? right now we have 5 players and 5 ships (or 10 and 10 or 20 and 20 whatever). Sometimes those ships will have pets, saucer sections, MVAM whatever but its still just one ship under the control of one person. But now you will only have 5 players and possibly 4 ships? Or what if you get really unlucky and you have 4 people with two of these ships ending up in the same 5 man? now you have 5 people running around in an instance and there are only 3 ships total because 2 of them are super dreadnaughts and 1 is a regular ship. So then what? do you alter the system to accomodate 5 players like how we have it now and see how a 5 man goes with only 3 ships? or do you change it to where what is now a 5man dungeon can now hold max 10 people? thats assuming you get really really REALLY lucky (or unlucky if the ship ends up sucking) and now you have 5 super dreadnaughts doing an infected run with 2 players in each one for 10 total.

3) if you read #2 and say "i dont think it should be a problem" then that kinda lets me know you didnt put much thought into the pros and cons of your suggestion.
  • Options
    maybe make it unavailable to pvp, or only available in 10-20 man pvp, and then limit it to a max of 1 per 10 people.
    it would be no different to a que in other games that has 2 tanks to 30 dps and 8 healers.
  • Options
    maybe make it unavailable to pvp, or only available in 10-20 man pvp, and then limit it to a max of 1 per 10 people.
    it would be no different to a que in other games that has 2 tanks to 30 dps and 8 healers.

We're not talking about other games we're talking about STO. Does STO right now have any pvp or pve queues that restrict the number of tanks, dps, healers or ship types that can go inside of it? but this ship will be the first one that does? ok well, can you give me a rough idea of how this will affect queue times for the people who still fly single ships and for the people who fly super dreadnaughts? what about if there are multiple dreadnaughts in the queue? 1 dread, 2...3...4...5? Can you predict if this will be a popular or unpopular ship? what if it becomes wildly popular and you have 10-15 ships sitting in a pvp queue or a pve queue where Infected has 90 people sitting in it?
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    This is just a "little" outrageous.

First the ship itself which...well lets be honest, it's pretty self explanatory.

Second, you'd want to make this a two person ship? That just doesn't make any sense for STO. I don't even want to know how the purchasing of this thing would go, who would keep it?

Third, you want to give this ship special permissions for PVE and PVP queue. That's a lot of work for this hulk of junk.

Fourth, giving it just double everything means changing the dynamics of the BOFF's powers, any passives(I guess in this case combining the two players?) and any other effects that you'd run into which could very easily just break the game in on itself.

Fifth, speaking of game breaking, the size of it wouldn't be possible to do as far as I'm aware.

Overall, there is nothing good about this idea. I can only imagine the resources needed to pull this off and even then, it probably still wouldn't be enough.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    stonewbie wrote: »

We're not talking about other games we're talking about STO. Does STO right now have any pvp or pve queues that restrict the number of tanks, dps, healers or ship types that can go inside of it? but this ship will be the first one that does? ok well, can you give me a rough idea of how this will affect queue times for the people who still fly single ships and for the people who fly super dreadnaughts? what about if there are multiple dreadnaughts in the queue? 1 dread, 2...3...4...5? Can you predict if this will be a popular or unpopular ship? what if it becomes wildly popular and you have 10-15 ships sitting in a pvp queue or a pve queue where Infected has 90 people sitting in it?

perhaps the "super dreadnaught" can only be fielded in specific pvp maps. perhaps when you que with your buddy you tick a box which says which position you would like, fore or mid, and if too many que then you are put into your regular 1 man ship. their are solutions to every problem, and problems to every solution, nobody is saying it would be an easy thing to implement, but it would be a cool feature. to have ships in game which are truly classified as war vessels and not just exploration vessels with weapons.

Im talking of a star trek equivalent of the chariot to the calvary, battle ship yamato to the standard battleship, the super star destroyer to the star destroyer.

Having a limit of 1 per 10 (so 1 super dreadnaught to 8 regular ships) keeps it rare but also allows for fleets to try out new tactics. perhaps on fleet leaders and officers can adjust the weaponry and it is brought by the fleet and the 2 people who get to operate it are randomly selected by the game.
    perhaps every person has a character tab listing their fore settings and mid settings and when they are lucky enough to be placed in the SD the ship immediately adopts their load out.
    there are tons of ways to do it, the only real questions are:
    1) will people enjoy it
    2) is there a fair way to implement it
    3) is there a way to make it rare without making it elitist
  • Options
    kavase wrote: »

First the ship itself which...well lets be honest, it's pretty self explanatory.

Second, you'd want to make this a two person ship? That just doesn't make any sense for STO. I don't even want to know how the purchasing of this thing would go, who would keep it?

Third, you want to give this ship special permissions for PVE and PVP queue. That's a lot of work for this hulk of junk.

Fourth, giving it just double everything means changing the dynamics of the BOFF's powers, any passives(I guess in this case combining the two players?) and any other effects that you'd run into which could very easily just break the game in on itself.

Fifth, speaking of game breaking, the size of it wouldn't be possible to do as far as I'm aware.

Overall, there is nothing good about this idea. I can only imagine the resources needed to pull this off and even then, it probably still wouldn't be enough.

First: big isn't it

Second: I was thinking a Fleet Guild would own it

Third: True

Fourth its really 2 ships that share a health pool and only have 2 shield facings each, with only 1 player able to move it.

Fifth: point is moot, look at the size of the borg vessels.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

First: big isn't it

Second: I was thinking a Fleet Guild would own it

Third: True

Fourth its really 2 ships that share a health pool and only have 2 shield facings each, with only 1 player able to move it.

Fifth: point is moot, look at the size of the borg vessels.

What I'm saying is, what your asking for is not possible in any practical sense. This is on itself would probably take up an entire season worth of content just for this, and it's all but a guarantee there would be bugs with it, many bugs.

My fourth point really highlights the flaws of your thinking on this. I'm not talking about simple shield facings here, I'm talking about players passives that they have, I'm talking about their skill distributions, passives from ship sets etc. They would all have to change based on this. You can just take everything and x2.

And sorry, fifth isn't moot at all. A borg vessel doesn't go to social zones, or spawn near other players or go through warp gates etc. That would all need to be adjusted.

Having two players play one ship doesn't make sense in STO.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User

maybe because i used OS paintbrush and set the image too 1400x700? just a thought.
    and got a better name for something bigger then a dreadnaught or cruiser?
    its easy to judge, hard to be creative.

lol you didn't get what I mean, did you.
    In this case your creativity shot is laughable, really without offense. There's no thinking about it, no harmony, no visible effort put in drawing it. It's horrible. Just like that. It's surprising that you even decided to share it.

And if it matters something, my Retina display remained at crystal clear 2880x1800, for sure it doesn't downscale the whole resolution on its own.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    looked fine on my retina display
    I'm not an artist, i just like to copy paste resize and fill in blanks. i am happy with it and I like its bulkiness
    not every ship needs to be agile in appearance, the structural integrity is theoretically better than that of a galaxy class.

basically its a ship with a nacelle/body layout similar to 2 defiants stuck together increased in size to be 2.2 times larger then a sovereign with a body that more closely resembles 2 intrepid classes stuck together.
    That was what my goal was to build, and I think the picture turned out exactly how I wanted given my limited artistic capability, i'm an ideas man, not an artsy man, if i become a billionaire i will be sure to enlist a real artist to properly render my idea for your perusal, until that time you will have to do with my cut and paste job.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    ...from a game called gothic:

No, that is pretty blatant WH40K.

gothic is WH40k, thats like saying the defiant not from DS9 its from Star Trek.

@kavase its a fleet ship, as such it would not have be driven around the social area, it could only appear in the fleets guild station docks, and the pvp/pve zones design too cope with it. allowing players upon entering a zone to nominate them selves to command a bridge on it, the game would then select 2 at random from those who nominated.
    as to point 4, again both players would have their own set of officers with abilities, you may have a tactical player in the mid bridge and a science player in the fore bridge or, the other way around, it wouldn't matter, each player would have all of their own officers moves. the only thing that changes is only 1 player can move, a shared health pool and 2 shield facings each instead of 4.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    its easy to judge...

Fun too!

They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    stonewbie wrote: »

perhaps...

I hear you...but what i want to know and what i want you to think about is how this will affect queue times for everybody. You're coming up with all these solutions but none of them say whether it will shorten or lengthen queue times. If a queue takes 10seconds (just a random number) to pop right now will people be willing to wait 5 minutes in a queue just so that they can play their snazzy new dreadnaught?

EDIT: when making suggestions coming up with the idea is the easy part. But predicting how it will affect existing gameplay that can be tricky sometimes. And if you are the type of person to simply shrug it off and say "ehh i dont see how doing X will affect anything" then you probably arent thinking hard enough. Thats just a general thing though not really directed at anything you've said in this thread. I see it a lot when people try to post up suggestions and when people say that it will affect this and that the person suggesting the idea is very quick to brush it off and claim that they dont see any issues.
    Post edited by stonewbie on
  • Options
    edalgo wrote: »
    A ship that size would never be anything more than a transport/colony ship in ST Universe.

Minimal shield, weapons and speed.

Only designed to move people and the necessary materials to establish and/or move a colony.

says who? ever heard of escalation?