test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to defuse a riot? (objective/trigger issue)

Okay, so I've got a scene where a bunch of desperate civilians are mobbing a location where your crew is unloading relief supplies. I've got an objective to "defuse the confrontation" with two options planned:
  • Have a couple shuttles drop flash bombs to scare them off. (This pisses off the local religious leader in option #2.)
  • Go find a local religious leader and have her calm them down.

Any ideas how to design the triggers?
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Best Answer

• Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    ok. look for TEST_REKURZION in review and let me know if that would work. Give it 30 minutes before you try, I just published it.

and please ignore the other rekurzion title...it's not done.

Answers

• Options
    well...the quickest and dirtiest way would be to use NPC groups with one animation for the riot and another for their defused posture. tie each to a dialogue prompt trigger where the first group disappears while the other appears. of course that leaves the beam in effect and sound which isn't always pleasant. I have found that with a large enough number of NPC's the beam in animation will not play on all of them.

i have been messing around with idle animations and the like lately to do something similar in one of my stories (it's actually the reverse. the group starts in a calm posture and them transitions to an aggressive one to simulate a revolt). I've found the idle animation most often will be the first animation played and have tried setting up two animations.
    - first the idle set to a low weight with a long execution time
    - then a second animation (like chat since you don't have to add chat text) with a slightly higher weight and a long execution time

the idea is they will start with the idle animation and eventually pick the second animation. if you can time the change to take place behind a dialogue pop up it would appear seamless. It's tricky and I've haven't gotten it work just like I want but you may find something I haven't.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    rekurzion wrote: »
    well...the quickest and dirtiest way would be to use NPC groups with one animation for the riot and another for their defused posture. tie each to a dialogue prompt trigger where the first group disappears while the other appears. of course that leaves the beam in effect and sound which isn't always pleasant. I have found that with a large enough number of NPC's the beam in animation will not play on all of them.

i have been messing around with idle animations and the like lately to do something similar in one of my stories (it's actually the reverse. the group starts in a calm posture and them transitions to an aggressive one to simulate a revolt). I've found the idle animation most often will be the first animation played and have tried setting up two animations.
    - first the idle set to a low weight with a long execution time
    - then a second animation (like chat since you don't have to add chat text) with a slightly higher weight and a long execution time

the idea is they will start with the idle animation and eventually pick the second animation. if you can time the change to take place behind a dialogue pop up it would appear seamless. It's tricky and I've haven't gotten it work just like I want but you may find something I haven't.

That was what I was planning to do, but the problem is how to link it up with solving the objective.

What I want to be able to do is have a dynamic dialogue tree with an NPC contact (your ship's quartermaster) that shows and hides dialog options depending on whether you call in reinforcements or go find Astraea. In other words:
    • If you click "call in reinforcements", the shuttles appear, FX objects appear, I change out the "raucous crowd" mob groups for "subdued/stunned crowd" mobs, and then Astraea turns up and yells at you for being an uncaring TRIBBLE.
    • If you click "go find Astraea", you go talk to her (she's an NPC elsewhere on the map) and then go back to find her talking the down (me having replaced "raucous crowd" with "calm crowd").

In either case the "Dialog with Contact" objective with your quartermaster is completed and the mission advances. The issue is, I'm only getting options to show/hide the dialog options based on "Objective in Progress" and "Objective Complete".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    ^I'm looking and I can't find it.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited September 2015
    oops. the console next to club 47 below the transporter room on ESD. if you mean you can't find the mission are you checking under review? I was just able to find it.

EDIT: oh, it's level 61 fro some reason. standby i'll need to change a few things.
  • Options
    ok, just republished. give it 15 minutes and try again.
  • Options
    oops. the console next to club 47 below the transporter room on ESD. if you mean you can't find the mission are you checking under review? I was just able to find it.
    Yeah, both, actually. :) I've got it loaded; I'll check back after I test it out.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Well... it's a kludge. But I can make it work.

I made a video for my reference. If you don't mind I'd like to upload it to YouTube as a Foundry trick.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    sharing is caring.

but kludge? ;)
  • Options
    sharing is caring.

but kludge? ;)

kludge [klooj] noun, a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task.

Which is par for the course with the Foundry...
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    oh i know what kludge means, just having fun.

i suggest you post a link to your youtube when its done, i use that map for a lot of different testing. this way folks can see the answer. up to you.
  • Options
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    i'm changing my name to Kludge
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    of course that leaves the beam in effect and sound which isn't always pleasant.

There are certain neutral beast npc mobs that do not have beam in/out animations. They just fade in/out, it's far less distracting and you can reskin them with any costume. I can't remember specifically which ones off the top of my head atm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i'm changing my name to Kludge
    lol-star-trek-funny-pictures.jpg
    of course that leaves the beam in effect and sound which isn't always pleasant.

There are certain neutral beast npc mobs that do not have beam in/out animations. They just fade in/out, it's far less distracting and you can reskin them with any costume. I can't remember specifically which ones off the top of my head atm.

I know one of them is "Attack Saur (neutral)", which spawns a single Gorn saur sans beam-in that you can reskin, but with the number of NPCs I'm using (five Fed ensign groups reskinned as custom Cardassian civilians) I think the cost in time would be prohibitive.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I know one of them is "Attack Saur (neutral)", which spawns a single Gorn saur sans beam-in that you can reskin, but with the number of NPCs I'm using (five Fed ensign groups reskinned as custom Cardassian civilians) I think the cost in time would be prohibitive.

Warrigul neutral squad is one of them. Just like any npc group, you can have from 4 to 7 individuals depending which group type you choose. I use these extensively in my missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I tend to use the mastiff neutral squads to avoid beam ins. The dialogue triggers can do amazing things. If i have, say 3 possible paths i will blocks the objective using 3 invisible walls or actual fences/doors that each are set to one of the paths being completed. Complete a path and the passage is clear to continue through one of the 3 possible routes.

Ps. i usually have the objective route open up when the final dialogue of each of the optional paths is reached