test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to compensate for small crew?

So a crews size is a direct impact on hull healing, the larger the crew the faster the rate of repair, smaller the slower. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So for ships that have really small crews comparatively, for example the Defiant or BOP who have a crew size of 50 and 30 respectively, what can one do to offset the smaller complement?

Such as using consoles like emergency force fields, biofunction monitor do anything to help?

Or just concede that it's a glass cannon and there's nothing that can really help?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    If you have the Kobali Sansar cruiser, its console can be used in any ship and gives an instant 6K heal, plus up to another 2.5K based on 100% of the damage you do over the next 20 seconds. If you have Eng Team, Hazard Emitters, Polarize Hull they all offer heals + damage reduction. I also try to fit in 1 Neutronium console.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    You don't have to worry about crew size at all. It does absolutely nothing and is a pointless stat.

The difference in hull healing is so small it's almost impossible to even notice. Crew size isn't going to be the difference between life or death in any mission, it's not something you have to worry about. It's never worked right and probably never will.

If you wish to augment your defensive capability, that's best done through selection of bridge officer powers, gear sets and consoles. If you're having issues with survivability, please feel free to post your build using the STO Academy Skill Planner and we would be more then happy to offer suggestions to help you out.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    A large crew count is actually bad; I've forgotten the reason why that is, but it is - I would appreciate someone prodding with the reason why again - unless they fixed it, but I've read in other posts that it is still broke.
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    Small crew size regenerates much faster.
    As you lose crew, the repair rate does drop significantly. I also think it affects turn rates and speed to.
    If you have a bigger crew, it takes longer to regenerate which means that getting back to your default repair rate takes a lot of time.
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    From what I understand, (with the form reshuffling multiple times I have lost track of the original information, I think it was from frtoaster?)

Hull regeneration from crew is based of percentage, not absolute crew numbers. So a 5 crew ship will heal just as fast as a 500 crew ship, assuming max crew. same class, same max hit points, ect.
    Crew recovery is at a flat rate, assuming the same class of ship and no other things effecting it.
    Crew loss is a percentage, 10% for instance. A few special attacks are flat numbers, but loss from kinetic damage is a percentage, and that is mostly what you will see.

So in total having less crew is better*, though there are many things that will effect hull regen rate and crew is really one of the smaller ones.

*There is an edge cases where a large crew matters, boarding parties.​​
    Post edited by r5e4w3q2 on
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Small crew size regenerates much faster.
    As you lose crew, the repair rate does drop significantly.
    The innate repair rate. Every other heal doesn't care, and the other heals are what keeps you alive.
    I also think it affects turn rates and speed to.
    Nope.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Yeah crew is pretty much a garbage stat. If cryptic ever decided it was time to clean up the messy state of things, removing stats like that would hopefully be the first place they start.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    [These are excactly the points​]​

The less crew the better. But finally the effect is so unimportant that there is no point even looking at it.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    crew loss is mostly from torp hits.

there's other stuff like the CE's death beam, but torpedoes are what you see most often. And it seems to be missing from the item info boxes now. Hmmm.... It used to claim 10% or 50 whichever is less, but apparently that didn't really work right and it usually just did 10%....

in theory the repair rate should be higher for ships with larger crew. in practice? not really. I think crew might also affect subsystem disables.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I should've put innate, that is what I want.
    However, I'm going to try the speed/turn rate one out sometime, my ship seems to get slower as the crew gets smaller
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Side note, the fact small crews paradoxically work better than big ones is a major point in the Andromeda's favor. It's already got a great layout for a tank cruiser, and triggering saucer separation cuts the crew to a tenth its original size. It's enough to counteract the loss of hull points for dropping the saucer.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    Yeah crew is pretty much a garbage stat. If cryptic ever decided it was time to clean up the messy state of things, removing stats like that would hopefully be the first place they start.
    Why remove it? I thought I had a pretty good idea to revamp it before. I think they should do that instead.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Smaller crew is better than bigger crew. The ideal crew size is three: a chimpanzee and two trainees.
  • Options
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Why remove it? I thought I had a pretty good idea to revamp it before. I think they should do that instead.
    Not sure how something like crew (a mechanic designed to diminish one's combat prowess over time) could be revamped in a way people would like.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    Not sure how something like crew (a mechanic designed to diminish one's combat prowess over time) could be revamped in a way people would like.
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1135802/lets-revamp-the-crewmen-system/p1

(dead thread btw, don't post in it)
  • Options
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1135802/lets-revamp-the-crewmen-system/p1

(dead thread btw, don't post in it)
    When viewed from the perspective of someone playing under those mechanics, it'd be very frustrating to play any ship
    with small crew compliments, especially since STF things like to hit really hard. Also, players would be dangerously at the mercy of RNG with crew recovery. What if your bridge officer with the crew healing abilities was the one that got disabled?

No, I think crew is just one of those things, right up there with expertise, that needs to be cut from the game.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    joc#8855 joc Member Posts: 39 New User
    Smaller crew = lower rate of repop so if you ever get on a stranded planet, don't expect your cre to repopulate. +1?
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    I think the OP has it the other way. Large crew = penalty, because it takes so long to regen to actually enjoy that very little "bonus".
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    joc#8855 joc Member Posts: 39 New User
    More crew = more regen. Heck, it even overcompensates and builds extra armor.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I think you have it backwards. The large number of crew is why ships like the bortasqu' are so absolutely terrible. Once you've lost them you lose any decent chance of healing out of combat. If you're unlucky enough to get blown up you might as well just leave the queue because you'll be gone again in half a minute, and again and again etc.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Keep the duty roster shifts evenly spread and also make sure the food served in the mess hall is good. Don't forget about shore leave. This will keep a small crew running at peak efficiency. From one captain to another!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    The game would be terrible to play through with the crew system having a real effect on your ability to stay in the fight. When you have at times every ship in your vicinity bearing down on you with torpedoes and beam arrays and other special attacks. Or expected to accomplish something in a very small window of time. This game would become unbearable.

It doesnt take much at all to kill off crew to begin with. I dont know how many times with full shields and only in the fight for less than a minute I looked down at my crew stat to find that all but a handful was dead. The last thing I want to see in this game is another punishing mechanic. We have enough as it is.
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User

there's other stuff like the CE's death beam, but torpedoes are what you see most often. And it seems to be missing from the item info boxes now. Hmmm.... It used to claim 10% or 50 whichever is less, but apparently that didn't really work right and it usually just did 10%....

in theory the repair rate should be higher for ships with larger crew. in practice? not really. I think crew might also affect subsystem disables.

I believe it worked out to "whichever LEAVES less", so 10% or 50 from 3000 would end up taking 300, and I think it only looks at max,not current.​​
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Crew is unimportant. Compared to everything else, you wont see a difference between 2500 and 0 crew.

Funny thing is: Less potential crew will outperform high potential crew, so a defiant will benefit more from its small crew (fast recharge of crew) than an attrox (because the "important" ratio of crew will increase much, much slower). Though the difference is pretty much nonexistent in reality, there is some (minor), going exactly the other way one would expect...

lopequil wrote: »
    I think you have it backwards. The large number of crew is why ships like the bortasqu' are so absolutely terrible. Once you've lost them you lose any decent chance of healing out of combat. If you're unlucky enough to get blown up you might as well just leave the queue because you'll be gone again in half a minute, and again and again etc.

You are grafly overestimating the importance of crew for healing. The bortasque has excellent healing abilities (while dishing out nicely) without crew. The only problem is that you need to be a very good pilot to actually make something out of it, thanks to it flying like a brick in space.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    neomodious wrote: »

I believe it worked out to "whichever LEAVES less", so 10% or 50 from 3000 would end up taking 300, and I think it only looks at max,not current.​​
    Yeah, IIRC that is sorta how it worked. It's not how the tooltip SAID it was supposed to work though. Also, I think that in the current system shielded torp hits don't do too much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    What if your bridge officer with the crew healing abilities was the one that got disabled?
    EMHs. :wink:
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Outside of 1 or more skills, that actually are effected by crew size, the innate healing only works outside of battle.

Not anything really special, by any means other than larger crew, fizzle faster than poprocks!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User

Damn it, man! My mind fills with so many inappropriate jokes! Stop it with the leading thread titles! :s

• Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User

Damn it, man! My mind fills with so many inappropriate jokes! Stop it with the leading thread titles! :s

Yep, I thought it was a Euphamisim too. :D
  • Options
    cptjhunter wrote: »

Yep, I thought it was a Euphamisim too. :D
    Same. My response was originally going to be, "buy a really big cruiser." :D
    kNqxcCf.gif