test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Counterpoint Premise

While I'm not a fanboy of this game at all, I must say that I found the premise of the Mirror Universe winning the war that we're fighting as well to be very interesting. It's certainly a creative twist. To whomever wrote that story bit I'd like to say: cool. :smiley:

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I very much dislike what I see as a disproportionate focus on mirror universe storylines. I think it is an easy-out for Cryptic story wise. I understand that it gives them freedom, but I'm not here for the mirror universe and I would argue that many people, if it boiled down to it, would feel the same.

Anyway... given we ARE getting a focus on mirror universe storyline.... I just hope Leeta is not a stereotypical megalomaniac. Conquered her galaxy with superweapons - now she's coming to ours? I hope Cryptic have a richer premise in the works that just that.
    Post edited by nynik on
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    How is it disproportionate? They are probably going to revamp the Cardassian Arc for better story flow. And I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that the Cardassian Arc needs it. *Cough* Cage of Fire *Cough*

There are only a couple missions that deal with the Mirror Universe now, and one event PvE queue that comes up at least once a year.

Heck... I still remember when Mirror ships were frickin' PURPLE and we had the Mirror Invasion as an hourly event. My fleet would go bananas running it. I even had fun laying a Warp Plasma trap for the Stadi to jump into.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I certainly hope they don't make it so that the Imperials have conquered their whole galaxy. Seeing as we've only explored >10% of our own.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    How is it disproportionate? They are probably going to revamp the Cardassian Arc for better story flow. And I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that the Cardassian Arc needs it. *Cough* Cage of Fire *Cough*

There are only a couple missions that deal with the Mirror Universe now, and one event PvE queue that comes up at least once a year.

Heck... I still remember when Mirror ships were frickin' PURPLE and we had the Mirror Invasion as an hourly event. My fleet would go bananas running it. I even had fun laying a Warp Plasma trap for the Stadi to jump into.
    Ah, yes, that was lots of fun. I think we might still have some of those in the Foundry. They make nice alien ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,613 Arc User
    Dabo! With Smiley and his son gone, Leeta takes over! I'm ready for some mirror universe battles for a change of pace after all of the Tholians and Heralds I've fought lately.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    I'm looking forward to fighting Mirror forces. Since they use Fed AI, that includes pretty much all the Fed NPC abilities, which are more varied than most other factions besides Klingon NPCs. Herald... some of their abilities have no counter and they are disable happy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • massflyermassflyer Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    If Mirror Leeta is the new villain, did they(cryptic) forget that the Terran empire hates aliens, and Leeta is Bajoran?
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    massflyer wrote: »
    If Mirror Leeta is the new villain, did they(cryptic) forget that the Terran empire hates aliens, and Leeta is Bajoran?

Well Leeta was part of the Terran resistance just like Mirror Tuvok, Jadzia and Ezri for example. Not sure why they would pick Leeta as leader of the new Terran Empire. She's now (year 2410) about 70 years old.
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Presumably there are some differences between the new Terran Empire and the old one, at least grandfathering in aliens that were involved with the Terran Rebellion back in the day (as Leeta was).
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Presumably there are some differences between the new Terran Empire and the old one, at least grandfathering in aliens that were involved with the Terran Rebellion back in the day (as Leeta was).
    Yeah, but the Bajorans? Considering that the Terrans did to the Mirror Bajorans what the Prime Cardassians did to the Prime Bajorans? And who are now an Alliance species, i.e. the primary enemy of the Terran people?

I find that highly implausible, and that's saying something for this game.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Yeah, but the Bajorans? Considering that the Terrans did to the Mirror Bajorans what the Prime Cardassians did to the Prime Bajorans? And who are now an Alliance species, i.e. the primary enemy of the Terran people?

I find that highly implausible, and that's saying something for this game.
    I don't think the situation is entirely comparable, and of course this Bajoran being with the Terrans goes back to DS9, not Cryptic. From the perspective of the 2370s, the Cardassian atrocities were just a few years old, while the old Terran Empire gave the impression of having been overthrown at least a few decades back. Prime-Leeta would remember Cardassian atrocities that happened while she was alive and old enough to comprehend - she might not remember Terran atrocities (it's even possible her parents didn't remember Terran atrocities, if the Empire fell some time in the 2290s-2300s period). That's time enough to start to refocus on modern grudges - and with people like the Intendant running around, that might well be other, ruling and therefore Alliance-affiliated Bajorans for some Bajorans.
    Also, "Resurrection" seemed to imply that the Bajorans were starting to sympathize with the Terran rebels. If they did change sides, that would change a lot.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • joc#8855 joc Member Posts: 39 New User
    It doesn't take you much to impress you.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I just don't know why Terrans would involve anyone, at least in leadership positions to be anyone but Terrans. If they are indeed the evil empire on the other side of reality itself, I would think that racism would be a plausible part of the evil that they are.
    kyrrok wrote: »
    I just don't know why Terrans would involve anyone, at least in leadership positions to be anyone but Terrans. If they are indeed the evil empire on the other side of reality itself, I would think that racism would be a plausible part of the evil that they are.
    They seemed to be willing to involve others when they were the Terran Rebellion (but of course that kinda involved a freedom thing that must have been lost somewhere along the way for the Terran Empire to be anew, undermining the 'Resurrection seemed to imply Bajorans were starting to sympathize with Terran rebels' thing), and the last Emperor of the first Terran Empire was only half-Terran (but then, that can be flipped around to say he was only half-alien, too).
    My take is that the reborn Empire is less of a Terran Empire and more of a "United Empire of Planets". They keep the original name because it harkens back to the glory days.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone