test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 182: 'Tangent Vectors Maxed'

Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 182: 'Tangent Vectors Maxed' has been published on Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from: http://bit.ly/1fPt2Op

In this week's episode, Captain MidNite Shadow leads the crew of the USS Tribble with another new panelist, Doc, who joins Dragon and StooDogg and the usual crew into discussions about all the Star Trek Online and Star Trek news that has been released this week!

In this week's episode the Tribbles crew discuss:
  • R&D Weekend,
  • Social media event for a mega-bonus weekend,
  • United Federation of Planets' interview with Stephen Ricossa,
  • the new Role Playing Blog,
  • STO Release Notes,
  • "Butterfly" Review (part 2!),
  • Sneak peak at the final episode of the Iconian war,
  • Star Trek Renegades,
  • Star Trek: Anthology,
  • Star Trek Beyond,
  • Red Shirt Diaries,
  • Trekyards,
  • and more!

Comments

• Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    What are your guys thoughts of a Social Media Event on top of in-game events?

Do you participate actively in some of the current event's forms of Social Media?​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    dwwolfedwwolfe Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Hmmmm, wondering what happened to Alex.... He usually says something by now. LOL
    Too many characters to list but still adding more.......The addiction to this game is real
  • Options
    Honestly i'm surprised we kept the Feedback Train fueled for this long! XD​​
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    joc#8855 joc Member Posts: 39 New User
    Losers.
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    I think the "social media events" attempt to funnel players from social media toward the game should go both ways for maximum effect. It is barely mentioned ingame - only in the launcher.
  • Options
    alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Well, you were all over the place in this week's show, so I'm still not sure where to even begin.

- "regional borg":
    I can see why they would do that. It's basically more efficient to keep using the old technology and tactics (which were tailor-made for that exact technology), albeit in a borgified variant, and let the old stuff slowly fade out. I mean, those ships are probably still usable and when you assimilate a civilization, would you throw away all their old stuff and pull new borg ships/technology just out of thin air?

- "cloaking borg":
    That's a different topic. The assimilated klingon ships sunseahl mentioned would be "regional borg" in my opinion. But in Butterfly we got borg ships decloaking. Not assimilated romulan ships. I would understand those, but we are supposed to believe that because the borg assimilated Romulus in this timeline they would magically use cloak on actual borg ships.
    We never had any indication the borg were interested in cloaking technology at all. And let's be real, they could have just assimilated a few klingon ships or romulan ships or something to figure out how cloak works and upgrade the whole borg fleet to have cloak and assimilate earth and the federation and then conquer the rest of the alpha and beta quadrants...
    So the desire to get cloak does not mean they have to assimilate Romulus (or Qo'nos for that matter). They could get cloak in so many other ways, which leads me to believe that these borg (!) ships just got cloak to hammer it in that Romulus got assimilated.

- Now the "borg need cloak now to fight the federation"...
    Uhm. Sure. They could have also tried something equally innovative: Send an invasion fleet to earth that consists of more than a single cube... Like they did at... uhm... I don't know... Vega colony?

- And the "vengeful borg":
    Well, if the borg were "angered" by the fact that the romulans investigated and stripped borg ships of any useful technology... wouldn't they be way more agitated by the federation in general and Warlord Janeway in particular? Why target the mosquito when someone just stabbed you in the chest?

- Writing klingons:
    Oh boy... uhm... let me start by saying that the "crazy klingon" that sacrificed his life against the doomsday machine... his name was K'Valk. (spelling?) And technically we've known Guroth longer (two missions and two (?) warblogs...) than we've known K'Valk. Still K'Valk got the better background. We saw his dilemma. We saw his epic sendoff. We acknowledged his sacrifice. I REMEMBER HIS NAME!
    With Guroth... we know pretty much nothing about him, we only learned that it was Guroth if we did actually read the debriefing dialogue and Captain Paris does not even acknowledge what just happened when he gives the order to continue the attack. Like nothing ever happened.
    See the difference?

- Tales of the war #19:
    Like I already said during the show, the nurse is a klingon. It's stated in the blog. She does not want to "kill the wounded" because that's better than having them live to fight another day. She wants them to die because it was a glorious battle and if they die now they will go to Sto-vo-kor. Like the doctor (who seems to be some kind of alien/non-klingon) alludes to, klingons have this really weird appreciation for death and this nurse is the rule rather than the exception.

Btw. when Qo'nos is under attack, Cryptic hates klingons and depicts them as victims and [insert rant about bad marketing]. When ESD gets attacked and severely damaged, let's just poke fun at it. And ignore the fact that New Romulus got attacked at least twice now (ingame). Once again I seem to be missing something.

And since Pulaski came up during that part of the conversation... Sure, the writers were bad at writing for Pulaski, but would you really argue that Troi or Dr. Crusher had "good" stories? Some of them may have been decent, but is there any particular Troi/Crusher story you would call actually good?

- Gorn featured episode series:
    Okay, sunseahl, you got me there. I remember some brouhaha about some Undine Terradome STF-thingy. I even remember something about some "Children of Khan" STF-series or was it a featured episode series or something like that, but I just cannot remember ever hearing about a Gorn featured episode series.

- Playable species:
    Again like I said during the show, Undine basically got the same issue as Tholians: Animation. Playable Tholians have been "ruled out" because Cryptic would need to create a bunch of new animations for them. Animation time is not free. And I think it was stoodog who was about "Undine want to kill everything.". Well, the borg/undine story arc (even the old one) was pretty clear about the why. You may call their reaction exaggerated, but there is a reason for this whole "kill everything"...

Now playable borg... That can of worms... "real" borg, collective borg do not make sense as a playable species. Or even a playable faction.
    Liberated borg/cooperative borg... is that really what people are asking for, when they want to play "borg"? I'm not sure.
    Besides, liberated borg are ingame already as a lifetimer perk. If they opened it up to the public, would you want to see a "replacement perk" for lifetimers?
    And yes, CaptainGeko mentioned that they were working on a cooperative faction for Delta Rising. He even talked about a new movement system for their ships. So cooperative ships would have been able to just hover up and down like an elevator. But that got scrapped for some reason. Why? Well, get him on the show and ask him yourselves. :p

Playable dominion... the dominion is a faction, not a species. If you talk about a playable dominion species, you're doing it wrong. The dominion consists of more than one species. And I don't see playable founders/changelings/shapeshifters ever. Playable Vorta? Maybe, although they are not engineered to be warriors, which leaves us with playable Jem'Hadar. Now if there were "independant" Jem'Hadar that were for some reason or another not addicted to Ketracel White... I could see them as a playable KDF species. In fact they would fit in there like a charm.
    A playable dominion faction... well, sunseahl said it (and like I said a few shows ago) all of their ships did end up in lockboxes already. So yeah, that's really unlikely.

Playable Cardassians... I want them. And I want them either like romulans (choose Fed or KDF) or just as a playable Fed species. I mean, ingame they do have a cardassian defense force, but it's stated pretty clearly that those are just a glorified police force/border patrol instead of a true military force. They depend on federation protection since the dominion war. So playable Cardassians for the Federation and playable Jem'Hadar for the KDF... would be fine by me. What's your opinion?

- The K'Vort:
    Okay, I'm gonna help you here, sunseahl. Playable ships in STO that in my opinion are at least as silly as a K'Vort:

T5/T6/Fleet Excelsior
    Mirror/Fleet heavy cruisers
    T5/Fleet K'Tinga
    T5/Fleet B'Rel

My suspension of disbelief basically ends with the Ambassador/Kamarag-era. Btw. I left out the Kumari/D'Kyr/T'Varo because... I did not watch Enterprise so I don't feel qualified to judge them. If those were authentic... yeah, their T5/Fleet variants would easily take the cake here.

Btw. of the ships I mentioned as being silly. I blame CBS for the Excelsior, K'Tinga and B'Rel. Because they just had to Scrooge it up and reuse all those old ship models they still had, which were just gathering dust somewhere.
  • Options
    @alex1ger

When it comes to galactic issues the Klingons always seem to be the butt of the revenge factor, Just look at the number of times all the big players have been invaded

-Number of Earth Invasions: 1(Undine, soon to be 2)

-Number of Mol'Rihan Invasions: 2 (Elachi/Heralds)

-Number of Qo'nos Invasions: 4 (Fek'iri, Undine, Herald Space/Herald Ground)

I discount both the Elachi and Fek'iri invasions as "galactic issues" because those were factional foes. This still leaves 3 separate instances of "invasion" on Qo'nos and of all the goings on in our slice of the galaxy it seems like the Klingons are the only ones getting things done. If that's the case, yea, sure, it's by all rights that Qo'nos is invaded.

-It was the Klingons that found out the Undine before the Federation faced it and even asked nicely(via Worf) to take the Undine seriously.(which the Federation Vulcanly said, "lol wat? Na Brah.")

-During this whole Iconain war, each time the mention of intelligence gathering has been brought up it was the Klingons who had it(What? Klingons as big intel gatherers? How "silly"/un-canon is THAT?!?!)

It just seems over and over that when there's a major threat to the Alpha/Beta quadrants the Klingons are always the first to know it's going on and then Qo'nos gets invaded...​​
  • Options
    @sunseahl
    Well, considering how the Fek'ihri arc ended, I am honestly not sure whether all that stuff actually happened or whether my character was experiencing a bloodwine-induced hallucination. Maybe I should replay that story arc.
    But to the attempted Elachi invasion of New Romulus... uhm... not really. You may call them factional foes because at that time we don't know where they fit in, but since it turns out they are a servitor race it was (like the Undine "story arc", just more directly orchestrated by the Iconians) a prelude to the Iconian war. So by association it is a galactic issue.

And yes, the klingons get depicted as being right. They are the ones who figured out that the Undine were behind stuff. (They could not have known that the Iconians were behind the Undine being behind all those events...)

But don't forget the way the klingons went about it when you played the federation "klingon war" story arc.
    "You got a foul shapeshifter on board your vessel! Turn over the so-called vulcan ambassador right now!"
    "Okay, do you have any proof for that statement? I mean, we're the Federation, and you're accusing an ambassador, so you should know by now that we would ask for evidence."
    "You don't trust my word? What an insult! Attack!"

I mean, that is very klingon, but I think the KDF really needs to make "Diplomacy 101" a mandatory course for its captains.

Then I remembered something you asked (and I answered) during the show:
    No, the maquis does not exist anymore. We saw its dying breath on DS9. Eddington (who was in Federation custody at that time) offered Sisko something... Some maquis secrets or something like that? Anyways, it turned out that he was using Sisko to get to the last maquis hideouts to evacuate the few survivors that were still left.
    What happened to the maquis? We get told that when the cardassians allied with the dominion the Jem'Hadar went out into the badlands and basically just annihilated the maquis.
    So, a few former maquis members might still be alive, but the maquis as an organisation and with it all its bases/hideouts ceased existing during the dominion war.

And now to marketing... uhm... let me preface this by saying I don't blame Trendy (or Smirk before that). But I got the impression that when BranFlakes left, Smirk (and now Trendy) seemed to be on a much shorter leash. I mean, BranFlakes made the job look almost easy whereas Trendy seems to be seriously overworked.

The giveaways went from "One week full of fun with items worth over 7000 Zen!" (I liked that teaser because it got people to speculate about what they might be getting.) to "Hey, there's this giveaway and it's awesome and here is what you will get during this week!" (which I still enjoyed very much, because while I like a teaser here and there, I do not actually like surprises that much) to "Here, three day giveaway, one item a day and no ship and it's free, so you will still enjoy it, right?" (Yes, the New Dawn giveaway gave us the whole weekend to claim the last item.)
    So, yes, it's still free and I welcome free stuff, but to me there's a difference between a uniform I might not have bought or a RnD pack I would definitely never have bought.

And now let's tie the datamining discussion into this... There's a WoW fansite (let's call it... MMO-C ;) ) that reports on WoW news and does its fair share of datamining. People, who like spoilers/sneak peaks, read it, and when it get's their blood flowing, they post about it on the official forums.
    To which Blizzard's CMs respond with "datamining is not an exact science" or "yeah, that stuff is in the game files, but some stuff has been in there for years now so it might not come to pass" or "those numbers are still being tweaked, so it's too early to freak out yet" or "you should take datamined stuff with a grain of salt".

Which is a longwinded way to say that it keeps those people, who are interested in those sneak peaks, engaged with the game. So you can actually use datamaining to your advantage. Throw stuff out there way before it would hit the PTR, get the community's reaction, take credit for the good stuff, blame the dataminers for "misunderstandings" and move on. But whoever is in charge of this at Perfect World seems to be unable or unwilling to see the possibilities.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @alex1ger

I figured you might bring up the Klingon war at some point. And it's hilarious that you mention it. Did the Klingons ever invade ESD/Earth? Nope. and as for the Vulcan ambassador. The klingons provided proof beforehand(via Path to 2409) that there was Undine infiltration. The Feds have this biomass-ejecting system of "Picarding-it-up." That is to say that since TNG the Feds have gone: "We need proof and because we need proof we wont do anything even as earth starts crumbling for some unknown, unexplained reason. For every torpedo there must be 20 hours of discussion and for every phaser burst there must be 15 minutes of diplomacy."

Honestly that's why I'd rather play Rommy or Klingon at this point... but now.... Oohhh boy the Feddy's have suddenly and violently swung the pendulum in the opposing direction. They've taken to the warpath with the Krenim device, haven't they? Pushing for incursions to erase the Iconians or our knowledge of them....

As for the Fek'iri arc, the end was rather trippy, yes... but you DID fend of a Fek'iri invasion from the first mission of the whole arc.

I asked if the Maquis were really all destroyed because Thomas(Riker 2) stole the Defiant in DS9.... And in the current Cardassian arc you meet his son who is trying to recover supplies stolen by the Cardys. If, like Voyager mentioned, all but a few in prisons/Voy crew were wiped out does that mean Thomas was imprisoned cause I don't think he was... maybe i'm wrong though....​​
  • Options
    @sunseahl

Since f2pdrakon went through all the important stuff, let me just say this...

What the klingons are doing in that episode is nothing less than a witch hunt based on speculation. If I was the captain of that federation ship I would not have handed over any federation citizen based on mere speculation either.
    I would not have handed over anybody at all, but if the klingons had backed up their claim with evidence, I would have had a security team take the suspect to the brig and then turn him over to the next starbase for investigations. If their claim had been reasonable at all, I might have had a security detail observe him (discreetly), but handing him over willy-nilly?
    No way. Even though it turns out the klingons were right afterwards.

I'd like to remind you of the DS9 episode "Apocalypse Rising". Odo had been led to believe that Gowron was a changeling infiltrator. So Sisko, O'Brien, "solid Odo" and... uhm... who was the fourth... infiltrated Ty'Gokor to expose Gowron. In the end it turned out that Martok had been replaced by a changeling.
    But I digress, if the federation had just hailed the klingons like:
    "Hey guys, we kinda believe that your chancellor has been replaced by a changeling and it would be nice if you could turn him over. We have no evidence whatsoever, so just trust us on this one, kk?"
    Are you really trying to make me believe the klingons would have turned over Gowron in that situation? Really?

There is a reason basic civil/human rights exist. That is non-negotiable to me. I will not turn this into a political discussion, because there is nothing to discuss for me. Watch the TNG episode "The Drumhead". I don't think I can say it better than Picard did in that episode.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    alex1ger wrote: »
    @sunseahl

Since f2pdrakon went through all the important stuff, let me just say this...

What the klingons are doing in that episode is nothing less than a witch hunt based on speculation. If I was the captain of that federation ship I would not have handed over any federation citizen based on mere speculation either.
    I would not have handed over anybody at all, but if the klingons had backed up their claim with evidence, I would have had a security team take the suspect to the brig and then turn him over to the next starbase for investigations. If their claim had been reasonable at all, I might have had a security detail observe him (discreetly), but handing him over willy-nilly?
    No way. Even though it turns out the klingons were right afterwards.

I'd like to remind you of the DS9 episode "Apocalypse Rising". Odo had been led to believe that Gowron was a changeling infiltrator. So Sisko, O'Brien, "solid Odo" and... uhm... who was the fourth... infiltrated Ty'Gokor to expose Gowron. In the end it turned out that Martok had been replaced by a changeling.
    But I digress, if the federation had just hailed the klingons like:
    "Hey guys, we kinda believe that your chancellor has been replaced by a changeling and it would be nice if you could turn him over. We have no evidence whatsoever, so just trust us on this one, kk?"
    Are you really trying to make me believe the klingons would have turned over Gowron in that situation? Really?

There is a reason basic civil/human rights exist. That is non-negotiable to me. I will not turn this into a political discussion, because there is nothing to discuss for me. Watch the TNG episode "The Drumhead". I don't think I can say it better than Picard did in that episode.

the 4th was Worf.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Snipped for lenght

I can Quote Path to 2409 too... Volume and Chapter. The actual Gorn/Klingon war didn't start until after the discovery of the infiltration. Until then it was all border skirmishes with no deceleration of war.
    Volume 16: Chapter 5

A strange incident was reported on the Klingon world of Rha'darus. While on shore leave from his duties on the I.K.S. Kang, Ja'rod, son of Torg, was ambushed by three Klingon warriors. He managed to kill two of them and brought the third back to his ship.

Expecting the attack to be from an enemy of the House of Duras, Ja'rod was shocked to discover that his attackers weren't Klingon at all! Application of a painstik forced the captive to change and its shape morphed from a Klingon to that of a strange tripedal alien.

Under questioning by Ja'rod and members of the Kang's crew, the alien revealed that it was a member of a species known by its Borg designation of Species 8472. The alien called itself an Undine, and revealed that not only was its party specifically sent to Rha'darus to capture Ja'rod and replace him, this was not the first time the Undine have done so.

There were Undine infiltrators in every major political entity of the Alpha and Beta quadrants.

The proof. No matter what anyone says the Gorn/Klingon "war(as in a declaration there of)" was after they found the infiltration.
    Volume 20 : Chapter 4

President Aennik Okeg announced plans to travel to Qo'noS to meet with Chancellor J'mpok to try to find a peaceful solution to the Klingons' conflict with the Gorn. However, before he could depart Paris, the I.K.S. Kang returned to Qo'noS.

Captain Ja'rod met in a closed session with J'mpok and the High Council for more than seven hours. Reports indicated that Ja'rod revealed the details of his investigation into the Undine presence in the Gorn Hegemony to the Council, and that the infiltration went much deeper than previously believed.

A day later, J'mpok, with the full backing of the High Council, ordered an invasion of the Gorn Hegemony. "No more waiting. No more talking. We are Klingon, and we will protect the Alpha Quadrant from these qa'meH quv - these replacers of honor with dishonor. We attack!"

A combined Klingon and Orion fleet stormed across the border into the Gorn Hegemony. The ships clashed with Gorn and Nausicaan forces in multiple systems, and the simmering conflict flared into open warfare.

It was after this that Worf and a BUNCH of Federations players pleaded with the Federation Council
    Volume 22 : Chapter 5
    A contingent of retired and current Starfleet officers, including Ambassador Worf, Admirals Beverly Crusher, Kathryn Janeway and Chakotay and retired Captains Ezri Dax and Tuvok appealed to the Federation Council to reconsider its position on the Klingon-Gorn war.

"The Undine threat is real," Admiral Chakotay told the Council. "The Klingons know it. We should acknowledge it. Perhaps if we were helping them fight the Undine, more innocent people could be saved."

"There's a war coming, and it will be a long one."

Ambassador Sokketh of Vulcan led the opposition. "While we acknowledge and are grateful for the service of these fine Starfleet officers, the threat of the Undine is overstated," Sokketh says. "I'm sure, given time, that we will be able to come to a peaceful resolution with these ... observers from fluidic space."

After the council closed its session, Ambassador Worf resigned his position with the Federation and returned to Qo'noS for good.

"I can no longer support a regime that willfully ignores danger and puts itself and its citizens in harm's way," Worf wrote in a letter to Federation President Aennik Okeg. "I am Klingon, and I must follow the path of honor."

The Klingons had the proof they were there, no accusations. It's only logical that after such they found a way to detect. And as for the furtherence there of.... the "end" of the war was rather peaceful.
    Volume 21 : Chapter 1
    On Stardate 80344.81, the web of transport inhibitors protecting the Gorn homeworld collapsed after the Klingon fleet blockading the planet used surgical strikes to take out the planet's power relay network. Less than 50 minutes after the network was destroyed, the first Klingon landing parties transported onto the planet's surface.

The remaining Gorn forces planetside made a last stand to defend key areas, and large segments of the population took up arms to defend their homes and families. However, the Klingons showed little interest in engaging civilian militias and instead massed their forces for an assault on the capital.

Twenty-eight hours after the first Klingon landed on the Gorn homeworld, forces from the Fifth Fleet entered the royal palace and the Gorn Hegemony fell to the Klingon Empire.

Chapter 2

Once King Slathis of the Gorn surrendered and guaranteed that any Gorn troops left on the homeworld would not attack the Klingon forces, General Klag agreed not to take civilians into custody without cause and to lift martial law orders for most of the Gorn population.

"The Klingons seemed almost solicitous to the Gorn," said Admiral Jorel Quinn on an episode of the Federation News Service program Illuminating the City of Light.

"They were careful not to give the people a reason to revolt. It wasn't standard operating procedure for the Klingons after they conquer a world ... of course, as soon as J'mpok arrived, we all found out why."

Chapter 3

General Klag was given a week to stabilize the situation on the Gorn homeworld before Chancellor J'mpok arrived with the I.K.S. Vo'quv. After transporting down and meeting with King Slathis, J'mpok ordered a global broadcast and used the Klingon fleet to extend the range of the transmission to hit most Gorn colony worlds and ships.

During the broadcast, the Klingons revealed the Gorn prime minister, head of military intelligence and multiple other high-ranking members of the Gorn government and military to be Undine infiltrators. The infiltrators were then immediately executed.

"We have shown the true face of the qa'meH quv," J'mpok said. "We are defending the Alpha Quadrant, not destroying it."

Again.. the Klingons proved both that the threat was real and present. It also took disregarding everything else to show it to the quadrants. Which is a shame. It means the Klingons have been pretty damned honest the whole time and even with that leeway they were still met with suspicion and mistrust.

As for the bombs it was determined to be Klingon in origin....

BOTH believe by extremists.

The first opposed to Martok's rule
    Why the second when J'mpok already had BOTH the council AND the support of House Duras? we don't know.
    We only know it was linked to a convict from BOTH the Klingons and the Federation, Toral.
    Volume 19 : Chapter 5

On Stardate 75705.90, the Federation-mediated peace talks between the Gorn Hegemony and the Klingon Empire are disrupted by an explosion that rocked the resort on Casperia Prime where the talks were being held.

Seven people were critically injured by the blast, including Ambassador K'mtok of Qo'noS and Mira Genstra, a deputy mediator for the Federation. Genstra was stabilized and then evacuated to her home on Betazed, but K'mtok died during surgery onboard the I.K.S. Gorkon.

The crew of the Gorkon cooperated with Captain Data of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E to investigate the explosion. They found that an ultritium resin explosive device was hidden in the room where the delegates were meeting.

Although it was initially thought that the device was planted by a member of the resort staff, ties to Klingon extremist groups were quickly uncovered. The device was tracked back to Toral, son of Duras, who was a fugitive from both the Federation and the Klingon Empire. The Gorkon pursued Toral's ship into the Archanis Sector, but it escaped.

The Federation attempted to restart the peace talks, but both the Klingon and the Gorn recalled their delegations. There will be no cease-fire.

"If I were into conspiracies, I'd mention that K'mtok was appointed by Chancellor Martok, and now the door's open for J'mpok to appoint one of his allies as ambassador to the Federation. But I'm not going to do that, because I'm not a conspiracy theorist," said Tag Morkek, a political analyst for the Tellar News Service.​​
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    ~snip~

"Where is the evidence" that the Klingons didn't take it seriously? Was it the massive subspace transmission that had them decapitating the Undine heads of state? Was it when everyday Klingons jumped on a guy who, in a drunken stupor, remarked about being Undine? Or was it when J'mpok decided that he'd had it with the TRIBBLE the Undine-infiltrated Gorn had played and decided that he must take the Hegemony's hierarchy on after asking for federation assistance?

The whole thing with Gorn itself never started over land. if you think that, GET OUT. YES Martok's Qo'nos retook Khitomer, a world the ROMULANS took from them, in blood. And YES J'mpok, AFTER the Gorn thing, war-hawked the claim to the star cluster... but the "Gorn thing" started here:
    Volume 5 : Chapter 4

But the upheaval in Romulan space was not the only potential war that loomed on the horizon.

On Stardate 61829.83, the I.K.S. Quv was attacked by a Gorn ship. Two hundred and seven Klingons died in the battle.

Representatives of King Xrathis of the Gorn claimed that the commander of their warship was acting without orders, but refused to surrender the surviving crew of the Quv to the Klingon Empire. In response, Chancellor Martok expelled Gorn diplomats from Klingon space and ordered ships to the Empire's border with the Gorn Hegemony.

The evidence is the body of the damned Undine! The continuation of this was Ja'rod captaining the Kang and running silent for YEARS as it investigated the Undine Infiltration and the Gorn Hegemony only popping up to have House Duras pledge loyalty to J'mpok, runnign silent again, Then to deliver the information about the deeper infiltration.
    Volume 17 : Chapter 3
    Nausicaan forces working for the Gorn Hegemony destroyed three Klingon outposts with a coordinated surprise attack. J'mpok waved off accusations of being unprepared by remarking that "there are always casualties in war," and then retaliated by sending General D'ald and the Klingon Defense Force's Seventh Fleet to the Orelious [sic] system.

The fleet obliterated a hidden Nausicaan base in the Orelious IX asteroid belt, and then proceeded to hunt down and destroy every Nausicaan ship that escaped before the base was destroyed.

One ship is missing from the Seventh Fleet's attack. When Captain Klor of the I.K.S. Kang refused to fully investigate the claims of the Undine captured in the Rha'darus system, Ja'rod, the second officer, led an uprising of the crew. Klor and his first officer were executed, and the crew proclaimed Ja'rod to be the new captain.

After transmitting a coded message to Qo'noS, the Kang cloaked. Its whereabouts were unknown.

Chapter 4

After the I.K.S. Kang disappeared from sensors, General D'ald ordered the ship to return to its patrol, but there was no response. At that point, J'mpok stepped in and ordered D'ald to stop attempting to locate Captain Ja'rod.

Observers of Klingon Empire politics speculated that J'mpok could be attempting to curry favor with the Houses of Torg and Duras by giving Ja'rod a free rein. Both of those Houses were among the oldest in the Empire, with ties that stretched back to the Imperial bloodline.

While their losses in the Klingon civil war of 2368 and subsequent defeats had dimmed the house of Duras' luster, there are many houses that still owed favors or outright allegiance to Duras. Also, these observers say, Captain Klor was a member of a house loyal to the House of Martok, so his death was no great loss for the Chancellor.

"Trying to understand the intricacies of the Great Houses is like trying to play anbo-jyutsu with bat'leths," said Tag Morkek of the Tellar News Service. "Everyoone is going to be bloody when it's over. There are oaths of honor and feuds that stretch back for hundreds of years, and you never know when someone's going to call in a debt taken on by your great-great-great grandfather."

Volume 18 : Chapter 2

Chancellor J'mpok reluctantly agreed to a third round of peace talks between the Klingon Empire and the Gorn Hegemony. His decision put him in opposition to a large bloc on the High Council. These opponents favored war against the Gorn, and there were rumblings in the halls of Qo'noS that J'mpok was catering to the Federation just as Martok did.

For his part, J'mpok said that it is only wise to explore all options. And on Stardate 74461.35, he silenced many of his critics in a most dramatic fashion.

The I.K.S. Kang, missing since the previous year, reappeared long enough for Ja'rod to announce that the House of Duras was allying with the House of J'mpok.

The alliance with Duras gave J'mpok's house the support of many of the oldest and most influential of the Great Houses, and J'mpok quickly reminded many on the High Council that debts owned to Duras were now owed to him as well. The move also fully returned the House of Duras to legitimacy, as J'mpok used his powers as chancellor to wipe away past rulings against the house.

The shakeup in the Klingon political scene now meant that most of the Great Houses were beholden to either the House of Duras or the House of Martok, and observers said that the polarization of the Empire would only continue.

Following the announcements, the I.K.S. Kang cloaked and disappeared again. However, data from Klingon sensor stations placed the Kang near the M'Char system, which is near the border between the Klingon Empire and the Gorn Hegemony.

Volume 20 : Chapter 4

President Aennik Okeg announced plans to travel to Qo'noS to meet with Chancellor J'mpok to try to find a peaceful solution to the Klingons' conflict with the Gorn. However, before he could depart Paris, the I.K.S. Kang returned to Qo'noS.

Captain Ja'rod met in a closed session with J'mpok and the High Council for more than seven hours. Reports indicated that Ja'rod revealed the details of his investigation into the Undine presence in the Gorn Hegemony to the Council, and that the infiltration went much deeper than previously believed.

A day later, J'mpok, with the full backing of the High Council, ordered an invasion of the Gorn Hegemony. "No more waiting. No more talking. We are Klingon, and we will protect the Alpha Quadrant from these qa'meH quv - these replacers of honor with dishonor. We attack!"

A combined Klingon and Orion fleet stormed across the border into the Gorn Hegemony. The ships clashed with Gorn and Nausicaan forces in multiple systems, and the simmering conflict flared into open warfare.

You wanna talk about proof? fine talk about proof and evidence and all of that... Now I want the proof that Scenario A of Butterfly could even happen AT ALL. STO is littered with bad writing all around.​​
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Honestly I think the whole J'mpok "claim to the Hiromi Cluster" thing was a pushed excuse to make it Red v Blue. Again, silly, bad writing.

I definitely agree that Path to 2409 needs an update but that's as likely to happen as a K'vort class... updating it is "Silly."​​