test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just dirty

alcestisalcestis Member Posts: 3 Arc User
I would just like to say to Arc. That releasing the Krenim ship under the stipulation of that the only way to get it is a random roll from a DOFF pack, is one thing. But placing those duty pac's on sale the next day, after half the server has already spent full price, is just a kick in the teeth. All that does it make the people who care about the game enough to be here every day, 'HATE YOU". And the casuals who are only going to be here for a month don't care anyway.
This was crude, crass, childish, rude, underhanded and downright dirty. This is the type of behavior that places you in contention with companies like EA for the Worst Company in America Award.

Looking forward to your next sale!!

Yours, lovingly,
Alcestis

Comments

• sarge4idsarge4id Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I have to agree with you, but at the same time I understand why they did it and even though it was pretty low down, I won't hold it against them, business wise. Their main goal is to make as much money as they can. If tricking or TRIBBLE people over to get their money brings them more money, and people buy into it, then they found a model that works with every hyped-up promo they release. The people that wouldn't spend money to get the packs will now that they're on sale. They're targeting, compulsive and wealthy spenders as well as frugal cautious spenders that only buy during a sale. It's a pretty clever technique that is used often, but as you stated, it's pretty dirty.

2016 will be year 6 for me on this game. I was here pre-launch and after launch they opened the C-Store. They also had a Refer-a-Friend (RAF) promotion where if you got a friend to sub for 1 month you got a "recruiter" title and a holographic tribble. As you recruited more friends, you got more rewards including the EMH Science Boff the Galaxy-X Dreadnought. The X was the first fed ship that had a cloaking device and it really upset some klink pvper's now that the feds had a tanking weapon that could attack from the rear and lance a damaged ship. They always ambushed us, but when we started doing it to them, it was hissy fits all over the forums. I got the X the second day the promo started. I bought 5 STO retail keycodes and prepaid for one month subs on all 5 accounts. I got my X and was a bit disappointed.

The X was not really a T5 ship like the Sovereign. It was a T4 Captain ship but had very few T5 qualities. One of the most disappointing letdowns about it were the original 3 aft weapon slots, instead of the normal 4 for a T5 cruiser. Another was the LT tactical station and only 2 or 3 tactical console slots. It was a cruiser, but as we all know, Adm. Riker modified and refit it to be a stealth warship with extremely powerful offensive capabilities. The lance was a 2 minute cool down and would often miss. The lack of tactical boff abilities meant you could really only choose two weapon special abilities. It could fit dual cannons but you could only get Rapid Fire/Scatter Volley I. If you chose one of the two that meant you could only get 1 of any of the Tier 1 Special Attacks or a tactical buff like Tac Team or an Attack Pattern, maybe 1 or 2 others. By today's standards of how we classify most ships, it would have been a Rare Lockbox Ship like the Mirror Assault Cruiser. But at the time it was new, you either loved or hated the 3rd nacelle so they initially added an option in the customizer to remove the 3rd nacelle and spinal lance so that you would have a ship that looked like a regular galaxy-class.

Those of us that spent the money on it had to figure out builds and strategies to optimize the ship's lack of performance and turn rate. We started using reverse impulse all the time. Some of use realized that if you could do a three point turn with the ship you could bring her about 180 degrees while staying within a 2 or 3 kilometer radius where as a normal turn would take time and distance to complete. We also used its inertia sometimes to drift the ship into a firing position. We got better and better at pvp with it. Eventually, they updated it to a normal T5 with the 4th aft weapon slot and other slots and stats. They reduced the lances damage but made it more accurate.

Then, the reason why I'm even talking about this ship is: They put it on the C-Store for $20. $20 was a lot for a ship then. Only two ships cost that much. The Galaxy-X and Guramba Siege Destroyer which had animated appendages and two combat modes. I started a Klingon just to get it. People cried about paying $20 for a starship. It was highway robbery then. But eventually Sol filled with them. The day before they put it on the C, me and 2 others formed a triangle formation over earth and I took a screenshot of it for us. Those people were @Afterburner, @the_illustrious_q, and myself @4ID. Afterburner was the only one of us that stayed completely loyal to the ship even though ships with fancy consoles came out. Last I talked to him, I believe he said he was going to try the T6 Galaxy for a while, and that would be the first ship since the X came out, that he flew after all those years. We're still waiting for a T6 version but it's very doubtful they won't upgrade it. They're pretty much done with T5 ships except the ones they want to convert to T6 and reskin/remodel as Iconic Ships. The X didn't even receive the new detailed Galaxy texture and model. It just has the Venture and I think one other besides the default skin.

Just another example of them harvesting money from big spenders, then from medium spenders, then they put it on sale for small spenders. They milked it out as long as they could by making updates now and then to it. A lot of us vets are just... It's what Cryptic does and we either tolerate it and play or we leave the game. Things like this aren't a shock and it's actually expected. When they do give us nice things without any strings attached, we all experience the "WOW factor." You ought to know, you've been here a long time.
    "Being a troll myself, I classify this malcontent as a Type-2 Oblivious Troll. My reasons for coming to this conclusion are: The annoying colored text he deploys, the contradictory threads he creates, the excessive whining and foot stamping, the amusement factor of his threads, and the apparent lack of realization that he is in fact a troll, like me, and is not the heart broken, victimized, player, he sees himself as."
  • cyberwasp35cyberwasp35 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    They should at least have given a larger chance to get the Krenim ship. I've spent so much dilithium swapping for zen, and a good chunk of money purchasing zen. what have I got to show for it? 220 Lobi crystals and a mass of officer packs I can't use. in all honesty, my opinion that is bogus.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    What is the worst part of it is the simple fact that you need to gamble for the ship in the first place. Lock boxes, duty officer packs, and so on, it is basically a slot machine. And I promise you. You WILL dump hundreds of dollars into said slot machine, and you will NOT get a ship.

It is just another reason to NEVER use real money in video games. EVER.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    Oh and when you've spent those "...Hundreds of Dollars..." to get said ship... They (Perfect World / Cryptic) will turn around and nerf it on you. In an attempt to force you to spend another couple hundred dollars on something else.

You cannot trust these people! They are so greedy. And they wonder why people hate their guts.
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    lindaleff wrote: »
    What is the worst part of it is the simple fact that you need to gamble for the ship in the first place. Lock boxes, duty officer packs, and so on, it is basically a slot machine. And I promise you. You WILL dump hundreds of dollars into said slot machine, and you will NOT get a ship.

It is just another reason to NEVER use real money in video games. EVER.

I really can't see this FTP model lasting much longer. Pure speculation of course but I have to imagine sooner rather than later gamers will collectively realize how much they are being swindled. I mean, I have no problem paying $50-60 for a developed game but I refuse to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a game where content is still hidden behind microtransactions and lacks quality end game content.

I hear people say, "If you like the game then you should invest into it" or "paying for lockboxes for the chance to get something that makes me happy is no different than renting a movie I don't get to keep." But turn around and read some of the dissatisfaction from the Neverwinter site of its recent in game currency changes and the people who spent hundreds of dollars of real money on alt toon slots and the like to stay competitive and it screams a different song. How long will people be willing to pay real money for content that isn't always attainable or can disappear at a moments notice? It's the very definition of a scam - paying large sums of money to obtain nothing.

Gamers need to realize they are being taken advantage of in this model. And to the counter argument of "it's a digital world now" I call BS. This is a business, and if you want my money then you need to return something of value to me. A chance at a digital plaything is no better than a wooden nickle.