What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[W->S] warp cores being changed to [A->S]

2»

Comments

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    So, my not-upgraded core with W->S will turn into trash now? And I have to spend heavy dil to make it viable again? Bugfix or not, that's not how you keep customers happy, Cryptic.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Having a Core with W->S mods suddenly get turned into A->S is a pretty big slap in the face.

I guess Cryptic never realized why people run a W->S core and not a A->S one with a build focused on high weapons power. You may as well vendor that core when this change comes through.

^^ This! C'mon, Cryptic, you can't do this. I upgraded my [W->S]x2 Core to gold, so I could have, you know, double W->S, and now you're changing that to A->W?! In what universe is that a fair deal?! If anything, you should have changed it to any W->X alternative.

Or just have fixed [W->S]x2, but I guess that was just too much asking.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Fixing [W-S]x2 is ideal. For me, it would be to alter the second[W-S] instead of the first, because the population with the double-upgrade is smaller, thus less affected. We all knew it was bugged and the fact they are fixing it should be a plus. SOMEBODY was going to get a "too bad" ... it didn't have to be so many people. The fix is not appropriate.
  • Options
    I had hope: the Release Notes didn't really make it too clear and that maybe the previous discussion above was moot. But I checked my Dyson WC and, no kidding, it'snow [A->S].

Welp, time to bust a move to Epic ...
  • Options
    I want to reiterate that this change is total BS! I ordered, and upgraded, [W->S]x2, and I'm getting an [A->S] mod in return. Cryptic should not mess with Upgraded items like that! I sank a lot of Dilithium in upgrading that core.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ice7laice7la Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am new to the MMO world, I only play Star Trek because I am a big fan of the show, as such, I had to learn as I go, and with the help of other wonderful players I was able to get the most fun out of this game possible. I installed the weapons to shield warp cores on all my ships. Some of which I earned, and some of which I bought with real money. I think it's a bad business practice on the developers part, to switch what is already bought and paid for. I had seven of those items in various incarnations all from the Fleet.

A to S. is not what I bought and not what I paid for. It is my sincere belief, that the developer should allow players to exchange their items or something else, perhaps an even exchange from the Fleet store. Or perhaps a token to get the modifier back as the mummification noted was a rare items, not ultra-rare items. Or allow the players who previously had the warp cores to keep them as is, since those items were already paid for. I realize that this is a business for the developer, as such good business practices are a necessity. Perhaps yet another suggestion would be to find the middle ground just like the tier five, five-U. and tier six ships. People will become wary of making investments, if the terms of the investment can be changed at any moment, perhaps a grandfather system is prudent for future changes.

It is my sincere hope that the developer takes the time to read this post, along with all the others. I took the time to purchase the items that I needed to make a build that I was comfortable with, it's a bad business practice to arbitrarily take something away without any sort of an alternative. It makes and money invested worthless, ultimately it causes the business to lose customers.
  • Options
    At the same time, every player only needs 1 of any item thanks to the quick loadout systems. Buying multiple items to equip on multiple ships for the same character is simply wasting resources.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Yeah - I'm not sure why were weren't allowed to exchange our old cores for something else. What's worse is that this was a fiat accompli: no discussion, nothing. Just "This is what you're getting because we can't fix it, so stfu." The silence was deafening.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    styxslethestyxslethe Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Stupid thing is that this change happend to my core a few weeks back and i could still buy the W->S core from the dil mine store so i bought that one and now that one changed also so i have 2 A->S cores which doesnt fit on my build at all
  • Options
    If the rest of the core works for you, then it'll be worth upgrading to Epic.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Or you could get a W->A, reroute some of that power into shields and then think of epic-ing the core.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Absolutely hilarious. Cryptic is too lazy to make an original epic mod so they found a popular mod and took it away from the players, wasting potential hundreds of thousands in dilithium.
  • Options
    majorsmoothiemajorsmoothie Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I agree with ice7la
    ice7la wrote: »
    I am new to the MMO world, I only play Star Trek because I am a big fan of the show, as such, I had to learn as I go, and with the help of other wonderful players I was able to get the most fun out of this game possible. I installed the weapons to shield warp cores on all my ships. Some of which I earned, and some of which I bought with real money. I think it's a bad business practice on the developers part, to switch what is already bought and paid for. I had seven of those items in various incarnations all from the Fleet.

It is false advertising, and it is illegal to promise to sell people goods or services and pull a "switcheroo" and give them something different than what they purchased. Are there any lawyers on the forum who can comment about this? I'm really surprised that Cryptic thinks they can get away with this type of thing. At the least, people who bought affected warp cores with dilithium, should be reimbursed their dilithium, since Cryptic could not get the mods to work properly. Also, players who upgraded the cores should be able to choose another core of equal quality with a [W->A] or [W->E] trait to replace the [W->S] trait free of charge.

• Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    You cant really buy items in this game so you also do not own anything here. Cryptic/PWE is always free to change things or simply take them away from you. Check the terms of use. Its the same in every such type of game.
  • Options
    You cant really buy items in this game so you also do not own anything here. Cryptic/PWE is always free to change things or simply take them away from you. Check the terms of use. Its the same in every such type of game.

Could you possibly be more trite?! I dare you. I double-dare you.

And in case you didn't realize it, we're not talking legalities here, just questionable business practices -- however legal they may be.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

And in case you didn't realize it, we're not talking legalities here, just questionable business practices -- however legal they may be.
    And it's still not a business practice - it's a game design decision.

If altering mechanics is unethical in computer games, then is blowing up ships with thousands of crew men, too?​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

And it's still not a business practice - it's a game design decision.

Nah, it's a business practice. :) You tell ppl "Invest Dilithium into upgrading X, please." And ppl do. And then you change the item to Y. And then, next time, ppl think twice before upgrading again. People stop spending money when they no longer trust you. That is why having done so is a questionable business practice.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    majorsmoothiemajorsmoothie Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    memeitoo said it better than I did.
    Nah, it's a business practice. :) You tell ppl "Invest Dilithium into upgrading X, please." And ppl do. And then you change the item to Y. And then, next time, ppl think twice before upgrading again. People stop spending money when they no longer trust you. That is why having done so is a questionable business practice.

The terms of service do allow for Cryptic to make changes for game functionality. Sure. That's not at issue. It's the manner in which it was done. It seems that Cryptic could have made a better choice of how to address the problem in order to give customers an item that was closer to what they were expecting. Substituting [W->A] or [W->E] for [W->S] would have been a wiser and fairer choice. If it were impossible to do that, then Cryptic should have given a more detailed explanation as to why. Perhaps they did and I missed it.

I should have typed this as my initial comment: Substituting an inferior item for one agreed upon during a sale is illegal in real life. If Cryptic makes a habit of doing that kind of thing in its digital world, people will be less inclined to spend real money on the game. Leaving things as they are is not smart from a business standpoint, and it reeks of unfairness to the players who invested time, effort, and in some cases real money into warp cores with the [W->S] trait.
    skollulfr wrote: »
    when you sign up to use a game service you agree to the user agreement, which states clearly you consent to the devs changing ingame mechanics and stats for game functionality.
    whining about any correction taken against any given items, traits or abilities will get you nowhere. at most you should have initially assumed all you where getting was a short term boon until the "problem" got "fixed".

People ought to speak up when they believe they are being treated unfairly, and any company that wants to stay in business long ought to listen to its customers. I really like the old adage, "The customer is always right."
    Post edited by majorsmoothie on
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Maybe I shuld have quoted the post directly above mine, which was very much about "illegal", "lawyers" and "buying".
    The terms of service do allow for Cryptic to make changes for game functionality. Sure. That's not at issue. It's the manner in which it was done. It seems that Cryptic could have made a better choice of how to address the problem in order to give customers an item that was closer to what they were expecting. Substituting [W->A] or [W->E] for [W->S] would have been a wiser and fairer choice. If it were impossible to do that, then Cryptic should have given a more detailed explanation as to why. Perhaps they did and I missed it.

The decision is not have as bad as you people think. The top 3 synergies were W->S, W->A and A->S. They removed one of them, far too late in my opinion too, but they replaced it with a very valid alternative. Or in different words, that W->S has two sides, did you choose it because of 'W' or because of 'S'? If 'S' they gave you the best alternative, if 'W' bad luck.
    Surely could they have done it in a better way, maybe with a choice pack.
  • Options
    The decision is not have as bad as you people think. The top 3 synergies were W->S, W->A and A->S. They removed one of them, far too late in my opinion too, but they replaced it with a very valid alternative. Or in different words, that W->S has two sides, did you choose it because of 'W' or because of 'S'? If 'S' they gave you the best alternative, if 'W' bad luck.
    Surely could they have done it in a better way, maybe with a choice pack.

I chose it both for the 'W' and the 'S'. :) But primarily for the 'W', as the highest source of my power (to be diverted to another sub-system). So, the logical thing to do would have been to still use 'W' as primary, and maybe set it to ->A or ->E, leaving the choice of my highest power intact, at least.

Typically, in my setups, 'W' goes to 'A' or 'S' (so I can move the 'S' slider down a bit, to transfer to 'A', after all, LOL). So, *taking* power from 'A' as primary now basically just broke the entire Core for me (in fact, I bought and upgraded a new W->S, W->A one after this incident, and don't use the other any more).

To tell you the truth, I am already kinda over it. But trust was lost a little again. To put it in Trek terms, The first Core butchered, the first choice denied or changed, chains us all irrevocably.
    3lsZz0w.jpg