test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Moment of sorrow for great old ships that warped out of STO, anyone else joining?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    My Terminator/Lib-Borg char never felt right flying canon Starfleet ships. But Breen and Intel stuff? OH YES!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The issue with Delta Rising and the level cap increase and subsequently the bump in ship tier is both the players and the devs fault. The players for years wanted a level cap increase and were pushing it more and more come 9-12 months before they announced Delta Rising. But the devs on the other hand acted too late and rendered 4 years of paying and grinding completely obsolete. C-store ships?.... scrap em..... Fleet ships?... scrap em..... Lockbox ships?... scrap em.... Event ships?...scrap em..... Mk XII rep gear?... scrap em..... Mk XII fleet gear?... scrap em too! All of which were acquisitions worked for over the course of 4 years. Is the upgrade system nice? Yes but it doesn't make up for the gigantic low blow Delta Rising was and is another unnecessary grind. Are T5-Us nice? They were briefly.... until 11 console T6 ships came out. Not to mention that we had to pay/grind to keep our ships relevant. Moreover they smack us with another low blow and release T6 versions, more-or-less, of those same ships! After we upgraded our T5s! Also, they falsely advertised the Guardian as a Galaxy ship yet here came the Andromeda? Were the starship traits nice? They are too much of a grind so take em or leave em. Was the level bump from 50 to 60 good? Conceptually it was appealing until the devs turned that into a grind fest as well. Keep in mind the existing excess of grind was left alone but the only things that made it all worth it were not. I could keep going but bottom-line... reparations should be made. So yes, STO since then has been a giant moment of sorrow.
    signature.png
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Yeah power creep really has just rendered the canon ships obsolete. It used to be a lower level of creep with things like poor hp counts or boff setups, but now with specialization boff powers and specialization ship powers they're done for good. The intelligence science ship can literally do everything a science ship can in addition to all that an intelligence ship can. The moral base of the developers has corroded itself to the core. If you want your star trek ship you have to say goodbye to competition and just hope it can meet the minimum dps requirements despite your build focus.
  • azurealli4nceazurealli4nce Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    The game shouldn't be full of 40+ year old ships. STO's timeline needs to be respected. The incessant demands that old ships be brought into endgame relevance are an affront to Cryptic's creative freedom.
    DPS-Bronze, DPS-Silver, DPS-Gold, etc. are FAKE! They were created by an outvoted minority who destroyed the original DPS channels!

Tactical Team sucked, once upon a time. I got it buffed. Don't think for a minute that Cryptic ignores forum feedback.
    edited August 2015
    The game shouldn't be full of 40+ year old ships. STO's timeline needs to be respected. The incessant demands that old ships be brought into endgame relevance are an affront to Cryptic's creative freedom.
    Creative freedom is secondary when you pick up a title license that already has an active fan base associated with it. Not to mention that the whole marketing strategy is to hook in Trekkies... throwing aside what makes Trek, Trek for the sake of creative freedom undermines almost the entire point of the game to begin with. Now if this was an original game you would be right.... but it's not; It's licensed.
    signature.png
    *pushes gameverseman's obsolete junk into the trash compactor* :p

The license agreement says that Cryptic gets to makeup new stuff.

Therefore the license is being respected. you may now lick the donut of death.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited August 2015
    *pushes gameverseman's obsolete junk into the trash compactor* :p

The license agreement says that Cryptic gets to makeup new stuff.

Therefore the license is being respected. you may now lick the donut of death.

I did say that creative freedom is secondary right? I believe so... anyone who read it would agree That I did say
    Creative freedom is secondary when you pick up a title license that already has an active fan base associated with it. Not to mention that the whole marketing strategy is to hook in Trekkies... throwing aside what makes Trek, Trek for the sake of creative freedom undermines almost the entire point of the game to begin with. Now if this was an original game you would be right.... but it's not; It's licensed.
    .... Since this a franchise the franchise comes first. Yes the licensing gives Cryptic the rights to create content within the franchise. But it doesn't mean that they can disregard what has already been established in the franchise prior. Otherwise there would be no point in a "Star Trek" game. It would just be space commanders or "Insert appropriate title here". Now I'm not saying Cryptic shouldn't make content or make new ships but the content that is already in the franchise should be equal, if not, better than what Cryptic creates. The issue here is that the ships are no longer equal. If you have no issue throwing away the Galaxy class, Sovereign class, the B'rel's, The D'Deridexes, etc etc than you are, in my opinion, not respecting Trek and I feel that's what Cryptic did with Delta Rising. So, yes, this is a moment of sorrow for STO.
    signature.png
    so you want Cryptic to take ANY original design they create and make it have inferior stats to ships that, in-universe, are outdated and obsolete? lol, no. that's pretty much text book bad game design. It also makes the time and effort required to create them futile.

Oh and in case you didn't notice they DID in fact make T6 versions of several of those ships you mentioned.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    During the series run we were excited to see new ships. STO is just continuing that tradition and growth.
  • bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    So let me take your logic one step further then gamerverseman.

Lets accept, for the sake of argument, that Cryptics' creativity should be set aside to allow for the reinforcement of the ideals, principals and "Treknology" of the franchise.

With each new series of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) new technology, ships and concepts were introduced and explored.

Here's an example:

TOS is set, what, 80 years before the Next Generation? When the opening titles for Next Gen aired, we didn’t see the Constitution-Class warp in. The art director and the producers created a new ship.

Same is true of DS9, we saw the Defiant-class, with the odd guest spot from the Galaxy or Excelsior.

When Voyager aired, the Intrepid-class was a radical departure from anything that had been seen previously.

But like everything, the franchise continued to grow and evolve. Hell, look at the Next Gen movies and the development of the Sovereign-class.

All this growth and development because of one core tenant. The franchise that doesn’t develop and grow, stagnates and dies. The same is true of Star Trek and the continuation of the “Prime” universe in STO.

Let’s look again, because STO is based 32 years after the return of Voyager from the Delta quadrant. By now, the Galaxy-class is what, 50 years old? Intrepid is a good 40 years? So if we saw such huge development during the 10 years that the three shows and movies spanned, why wouldn’t there be changes to the ships and further development in the spanning 32 years?

As to the release of Tier 6 iconic ships after people paid for T5-U and ship upgrade tokens?

Well, that is because we, the community, asked for it! I have a Tier 5-U Fleet Defiant. I’ve poured a lot of Zen and Dil into getting her into tip-top shape with Mark XIV gear. Was this a grind? No, it was a challenge. Something to do with my time and a new objective to achieve.

Does this mean that I’ll be upset when they release a T6 Defiant? Oh, god no! You can be guaranteed that I will be buying it as soon as it’s released, and a fleet module or two to get the Fleet version as soon as it is released. Why? Cos, well I enjoy buying a new ship, exploring the new layout and tactics with it. Does it make my T5-U obsolete? No. It will have it’s uses, because the BOFF seating will have a different layout. They always do.

TL;DR = I love the progression in ships and the T6 iconics. Keep up the great work Cryptic.

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
    edited August 2015
    so you want Cryptic to take ANY original design they create and make it have inferior stats to ships that, in-universe, are outdated and obsolete? lol, no. that's pretty much text book bad game design. It also makes the time and effort required to create them futile.

Oh and in case you didn't notice they DID in fact make T6 versions of several of those ships you mentioned.

*sigh* No, as people have mentioned there are T6 refits of those same ships. That is the right way to go... what was stupid however was the whole T5-U nonsense. In essence T5-U was suppose to upgrade or refit my old T5s. Yet, coincidentally, the T6 refits would be just that. Which, as a result, rendered our T5-Us obsolete when really the T5-U should have been the T6 refit. But to add salt to the wound they expect us to pay for the T6 refits after having invested (either by grinding or paying) into the T5-Us which I, again, reiterate should have been the T6 refits to begin with. Heck, I would have even been content for my fleet T5s to be only upgraded to non-fleet T6 and then have me re-invest another Fleet Ship Module to get it to Fleet T6. NOT, impose upon us the idea of getting a now useless upgrade just to have us scrap it for a new ship we pay or grind for to then invest more to get it to fleet T6. The progression is not necessarily the issue... it's how Cryptic handles the progression. Some people don'it mind it but I do because I'd like to be able to fly Legacy Trek ships without feeling like I'm playing for only nostalgia and not to actually have fun. Don't get me wrong, the new Cryptic ships are great! I love my Faeht Warbird! But the natural progression of the franchise and this game should be a well maintained tolled freeway, not a under-maintained tollway.
    Post edited by gameverseman on
    signature.png
    edited August 2015
    bobsled624 wrote: »

Lets accept, for the sake of argument, that Cryptics' creativity should be set aside to allow for the reinforcement of the ideals, principals and "Treknology" of the franchise.

With each new series of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) new technology, ships and concepts were introduced and explored.

Here's an example:

TOS is set, what, 80 years before the Next Generation? When the opening titles for Next Gen aired, we didn’t see the Constitution-Class warp in. The art director and the producers created a new ship.

Same is true of DS9, we saw the Defiant-class, with the odd guest spot from the Galaxy or Excelsior.

When Voyager aired, the Intrepid-class was a radical departure from anything that had been seen previously.

But like everything, the franchise continued to grow and evolve. Hell, look at the Next Gen movies and the development of the Sovereign-class.

All this growth and development because of one core tenant. The franchise that doesn’t develop and grow, stagnates and dies. The same is true of Star Trek and the continuation of the “Prime” universe in STO.

Let’s look again, because STO is based 32 years after the return of Voyager from the Delta quadrant. By now, the Galaxy-class is what, 50 years old? Intrepid is a good 40 years? So if we saw such huge development during the 10 years that the three shows and movies spanned, why wouldn’t there be changes to the ships and further development in the spanning 32 years?

As to the release of Tier 6 iconic ships after people paid for T5-U and ship upgrade tokens?

Well, that is because we, the community, asked for it! I have a Tier 5-U Fleet Defiant. I’ve poured a lot of Zen and Dil into getting her into tip-top shape with Mark XIV gear. Was this a grind? No, it was a challenge. Something to do with my time and a new objective to achieve.

Does this mean that I’ll be upset when they release a T6 Defiant? Oh, god no! You can be guaranteed that I will be buying it as soon as it’s released, and a fleet module or two to get the Fleet version as soon as it is released. Why? Cos, well I enjoy buying a new ship, exploring the new layout and tactics with it. Does it make my T5-U obsolete? No. It will have it’s uses, because the BOFF seating will have a different layout. They always do.

TL;DR = I love the progression in ships and the T6 iconics. Keep up the great work Cryptic.
    Well put! I'd agree with you however I, personally, will be much more reserved when buying into their system. Also, unfortunately, the T6 refits (at fleet level) do render your T5-Us obsolete. I touched on a few of your points in the post above. :)
    Post edited by gameverseman on
    signature.png
  • koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User

Here's an example:

Well put! I'd agree with you however I, personally, will be much more reserved when buying into their system. Also, unfortunately, the T6 refits (at fleet level) do render your T5-Us obsolete. I touched on a few of your points in the post above. :)

T5U was nothing more then a snack. Meant to hold you over until the T6 version came out. I went and upgraded numerous T5 ships when DR came out and not once did I think to myself. 'This is a waste of time because itll be replaced in 6 months or so'. I thought 'Great this will keep me competitive until I can get ahold of a T6 variant'.

My biggest complaint with DR wasnt the jump in ship Tier. It was the lack of Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear that should of been added into the content. You dont go and make a new tier and increase level and then turn to the playerbase and say...If you want the best gear...youll have to upgrade everything you already have..And the upgrade costs will be exponentially higher for you unless you craft yourself a bunch of Mk II gear.

T5U was a necessary evil since Cryptic wouldnt be able to make a T6 version of every T5 variant in the game by the time of DRs Launch. The lack of Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear to accompany that bump was inexcusable.
    I have actually nto used T5-u, I've thought about it, but ultimately never did due to having T6 ships to use.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Here's an example:

T5U was nothing more then a snack. Meant to hold you over until the T6 version came out. I went and upgraded numerous T5 ships when DR came out and not once did I think to myself. 'This is a waste of time because itll be replaced in 6 months or so'. I thought 'Great this will keep me competitive until I can get ahold of a T6 variant'.

My biggest complaint with DR wasnt the jump in ship Tier. It was the lack of Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear that should of been added into the content. You dont go and make a new tier and increase level and then turn to the playerbase and say...If you want the best gear...youll have to upgrade everything you already have..And the upgrade costs will be exponentially higher for you unless you craft yourself a bunch of Mk II gear.

T5U was a necessary evil since Cryptic wouldnt be able to make a T6 version of every T5 variant in the game by the time of DRs Launch. The lack of Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear to accompany that bump was inexcusable.

That's fair! I'll give you that but due to my circumstances it's still not enough to bite the bullet. This is how it played out for me... I got a bonus on my check and finally was gonna buy something nice for myself in STO after it having been so long that I hadn't. So I bought the Galaxy bundle.... the very next day DR was announced..... :/
    signature.png
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User

They didn't even release T5U variants of all ships. Calling it a necessary evil implies that they didn't have a choice. Your statement also clashes with their statements on T5 being able to handle the new content. If they were trying to be kind with T5U they could have told people that they planned to release T6 variants of the older ships.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    To the op's original post: Maybe those are the ships you only saw because that is all there was, and those were the best ships at the time? Lack of choice limits what you see used in-game.

Now that there are more choices, you are seeing much more diversity in what ships people want to use.

Also, there is the newness factor, if someone has been playing with a ship for 5 years, they may feel a need to 'try something new' just cause it is new. And new players also want to try new things.

People use what they have fun with, and who are you or me or anyone to tell them what ship they should or should not play with in this game?
    cidstorm wrote: »

They didn't even release T5U variants of all ships. Calling it a necessary evil implies that they didn't have a choice. Your statement also clashes with their statements on T5 being able to handle the new content. If they were trying to be kind with T5U they could have told people that they planned to release T6 variants of the older ships.

This is true! Very good point cidstorm, I hadn't thought of that but you are right. They didn't tell us T6 variants were coming out out all so we were more-so coaxed into, once again, buying into their system. Which, again, is another reason why I'm kinda ticked by how this progression was implemented.
    signature.png
    edited August 2015
    To the op's original post: Maybe those are the ships you only saw because that is all there was, and those were the best ships at the time? Lack of choice limits what you see used in-game.

Now that there are more choices, you are seeing much more diversity in what ships people want to use.

Also, there is the newness factor, if someone has been playing with a ship for 5 years, they may feel a need to 'try something new' just cause it is new. And new players also want to try new things.

People use what they have fun with, and who are you or me or anyone to tell them what ship they should or should not play with in this game?

That's a good point but it's not fair when I can't have fun in the ship I, and others, want to fly. Moreover it's more-so unfair that I will have to pay again for said ships. Assuming a refit is even available at all. Im subbed to your YouTube channel by the way! :D... nice to meet you... more-or-less :)
    signature.png
    edited August 2015

That's a good point but it's not fair when I can't have fun in the ship I, and others, want to fly. Moreover it's more-so unfair that I will have to pay again for said ships. Assuming a refit is even available at all. Im subbed to your YouTube channel by the way! :D... nice to meet you... more-or-less :)
    "can't have fun" what is there in STO that actually requires a T6 ship? :p certainly not story missions, and definitely not regular queued content... and advanced and elite queues aren't something I associate with fun...

In the Star Trek Battles channel we've occasionally organized events where we did premade teams for queues where the team used low tier ships. Starbase fleet defense is lots of fun in T1 ships! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited August 2015

"can't have fun" what is there in STO that actually requires a T6 ship? :p certainly not story missions, and definitely not regular queued content... and advanced and elite queues aren't something I associate with fun...

Well fun is subjective so I don't really see what your point is. There's more that goes into why "older" ships should be relevant beyond the fun factor. This, however, has already been discussed and believe it or not having a T6 ship makes your build better. So much so that I took a build from a T5-U (that was vastly under performing) and put it on it't T6 refit counterpart and had no issues with any content whatsoever. That's exactly what one of the main issues is.
    signature.png
    You said "I can't have fun" and blamed your lack of fun on not having FT-6 canon ships.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    You said "I can't have fun" and blamed your lack of fun on not having FT-6 canon ships.....
    *sigh* it's subjective.... I shouldn't have to fly a ship I don't want to fly just to be relevant enough to have fun. Not only is this contradictory but it's not fun for me because, again, it's subjective. I don't see why you are trying to derail the discussion.
    signature.png
    Derail? If I and a group of 4 other players can do level 50 content in ships meant to be scrapped when the player reaches level 10.... then you can have fun flying T5 ships while doing well, anything in the game.

Even T5 ships can use starship mastery traits.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think overall, all those many different ships are cool. Star Trek as a TV show didn't have the budget to create countless of ships, but for an universe to feel really rich and vibrant, you need more.

Even the alien ships - sure, it breaks immersion if you think all of these are really commanded by Starfleet or Klingon officers (possibly dressed up like the bridge bunny of the week) - but you can easily pretend they are not, and then, you just see alien ships visiting Earth.

For better or worse, Cryptic also set the game 40 years after the last episode - which means there should be new ships out there. I think (at least by the original plans) some of the ships, like the Galaxy should also still be around - having undergone several refits and retrofits since the first time they left drydock. But there should also be plenty of new ones.

Also, for me personally - I like if I fly a ship that is somehow different from the canon ships. Because every "hero" Captain needs a ship for himself.

I mostly make an exception for the Defiant... ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Derail? If I and a group of 4 other players can do level 50 content in ships meant to be scrapped when the player reaches level 10.... then you can have fun flying T5 ships while doing well, anything in the game.

Even T5 ships can use starship mastery traits.

You just said that you were doing level 50 content at level 10... I think that speaks for itself. I won't respond next time ;)
    signature.png
    No I said: "ships meant to be scrapped when the player reaches level 10"

I said nothing of the actual player levels. It's amazing what you can get a T1 T'Varo to do when you outfit it with purple 12 gear. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • admquinnadmquinn Member Posts: 3 New User
    SORRRY I stopped reading after "wall of text" I deal with that behind my desk at ESD all day ...smh ...don't need it now
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    once I get some more traits i like done I'll return to USS Altair Odyssey Class and Tarazed JHDC class. I need to grind up another elite squadron of Scorps for her
    Spock.jpg

• dagooddocdagooddoc Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »
    Sorry Cryptic, your ideas of 25th century ship designs don't work for me. You're clearly missing something. I suggest you look back at what makes canon designs great and stop making starships that look like blocky transformers. :|

Agreed so much...!!!