test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Revisit the New Romulus DOFF machine of Dilithium Death.

sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
Hi all. I'm a Romulan-Federation underling. Just to get that out of the way.

This is about the Duty Officer Assignment where you hand over lower quality Duty Officers, and some Dilithium, in exchange for higher quality Duty Officers on New Romulus. This is performed at a machine located inside the Command Center, just to make sure we're geographically and internally synchronized here.

To not know exactly what you get is gamble enough. To not get Romulans out of the main New Romulus Player Hub, is a complete and utter waste of resources, when you keep in mind that the ability to recruit other types of personel, is extremely well supported at Sol for example, where you also get teleported all the time, just to make sure your allegiance is well confirmed over and over and over again!

For two years now, this machine has greedily eaten resources, and for two years it has given out Bolians, Vulcans, Nausicaans, and other fascinating alien species! Like Humans for example! The higher the quality, the greater the chance not to get Romulans at all. In effect this means that the more you put into it, the less you get back. So it is a reversed reward system, where punishment is increased with the level of input!

What is needed is to expand the existing pool of Romulans, and get rid of the elements diluting the entire process. Away with anything that is not Romulan or Reman. Or else the machine can very easily be seen as utterly redundant, since you're quite simply not inspired to use it at all! Unless you want the same stuff you get at the Starfleet Academy that is. But then you might as well make a Federation Human. Or Bolian. Or whatever. That's not the point here at all. When you go to New Romulus, do as the Romulans. And start to crank out actual natives! For the alternatives are plentiful, and not at all hard to come by!

For anyone saying this has been mentioned before, it has been mentioned indeed. For years! And boy did it help-a-lot! Not! So the time to act is now! Not tomorrow! Not soon. Not next year! The machine might as well not be there! It's a devilish contraption designed to make your Dilithium vanish for no good reason at all. Enough is enough! Just re-use the exact same portraits, I bet nobody will complain about that, certainly not at this level at any rate!

Might add ( post edit ) that I have tried to get purple quality Duty Officers out of this thing in the past, and it can easily cost you a week of Dilithium refining ( for one character ) to get a single Romulan, because of their rarity higher up. That's beyond pricey, to put it mildly.

Thanks!

( Edited because optimism lies in thinking a long piece of text is free of errors. Not that the short ones are either, he he. )
Post edited by sernonserculion on

Comments

• Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    I've had at least somewhat decent luck feeding purple alien (i.e., non-rihannsu) doffs in and getting blue Rom doffs. But yeah, very little luck going the other way. *Really* wish they would fix this. I've said many times over the years I would gladly give up access to the Fed/KDF upgrinders if I could get only Rom doffs from ours.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    The machine is fine, you're just using the wrong algorithm. It's good to grind down Doffs, but upgrinding is simply too expensive compared to exchange prices. And then there is still the gamble to get a usefull profession or not.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    The machine is fine, you're just using the wrong algorithm. It's good to grind down Doffs, but upgrinding is simply too expensive compared to exchange prices. And then there is still the gamble to get a usefull profession or not.
    Not many Romulan Doffs on the exchange, my friend. We use it because it is the only source - expensive, yes, but I'm willing to pay for Romulan doffs. I'd just like to be sure of getting them.

"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Hi all. I'm a Romulan-Federation underling. Just to get that out of the way.

<snippy lovely flavor text>

For anyone saying this has been mentioned before, it has been mentioned indeed. For years! And boy did it help-a-lot! Not! So the time to act is now! Not tomorrow! Not soon. Not next year! The machine might as well not be there! It's a devilish contraption designed to make your Dilithium vanish for no good reason at all. Enough is enough! Just re-use the exact same portraits, I bet nobody will complain about that, certainly not at this level at any rate!

Part and parcel of the whole "fraction" decision was that certain, shall we say critical, components of a full-on faction, like, say, a fully loaded top-end DOff roster, or starbase, or even functional ship list - is/was "way too much work" to put in.

And, obviously, the years of asking for this level of work has, to date, produced no gains on the subject. I fully expect, sadly, this to remain the case until/unless they find a reason and elect to make the Romulans a full-on third faction.

Which, if my hazy memory is accurate - the other half of the reason to "fractionalize" the Romulans was because a third party wouldn't "play nice" in the Red/Blue oriented PvP system, however, it's systemic death and the desire to "essentially unify" the faction(s) into a "singular storyline" means that at this point who cares if there's 1, 2, 3, or 20 "full factions", as long as the "flavor text" in each mission is "adequately edited" to reflect each faction's stance on the plot point at hand - then all that is lacking is the work on bases/doffs/other ancillary subjects and yes, in the intervening timeframe, the shiplist has grown to be a "full fledged one" for the Rommies, especially if the next two releases are a Science ship and a Carrier... :)​​
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]