test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO the MMORPG for you ??

grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
Well yes or no with a why not option
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."

Is STO the MMORPG for you ?? 55 votes

I love STO all the way true nothing will change it !!! Why ??
27%
trickypingu#9526duncanidaho11midniteshadow7hawku001xpsyman87tolmariusstartrek1234567jam3s1701kyle223catsalazarrazecornelianusgroomofweirdgrayfoxjameskarlbarbsuperyeahdit 15 votes
I hate STO and I would advice everyone not to play it !!Why ??
7%
nicha0som3one1praxi5ruinthefun 4 votes
I love STO as a game but I won't spend a dime on it !!! Why ??
23%
gulberatvivenneanthonydaniela1055arabaturseaofsorrowslordprotiusaoax10sennahcheribjackal1701apwkthangnikephorussirmaydaystorules 13 votes
I play STO from day 1 and will keep playing it as long as I live !!! Why ??
30%
ikonn#1068admiralkirkhavalasnynikeldarion79tacofangsfimbulvinternthay8472neoatticussistericdark4bloodlsegnhunteralpha84generalbannon07grazyc2#7847johnnymo1bubblegirl2015 17 votes
I play STO because it's the only MMO that I understand !!! Why ??
10%
alexsanderitausscapitalancientfighterrobyvisionkhan1000jrobdos 6 votes

Comments

• grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    I like STO I played it from day 1 despite the issues they have I think every other MMO has also their issues along the way. I like startrek and it's the only trek game online these days so I don't have much other choice right ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I like, haven't had any major issues about it, stopped playing properly a few weeks ago, papers don't write or publish themselves. ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I very much enjoy the core game. I like a lot of the story missions and even though it's far from 'true Trek,' I enjoy playing in the Star Trek Setting.

I won't however, spend another dime until they get a real development team that will actually fix bugs instead of taking lazy and half hearted short cuts to everything.

I won't give money to a company without integrity, and Cryptic has proven to be that. I'll log in from time to time and play the little content I enjoy. One day soon, when the doors finally close, I'll hold on to the fond memories, but I'm not going to be standing on the deck of a sinking ship with a hull breach trying to bail out water with a shot glass.

The line must be drawn here.. no further.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    And another poll with missing options. What about "i play sto because it is star trek only", for example? we really should remove polls. They are stupid most of the times.

no vote, sorry.
  • kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    i like Sto even if it has alot of downsides . But it has alot potential , aaaaaand it dosent eat my time like other mmos.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    I hate STO and I would advice everyone not to play it !!Why ??
    If I hadn't invested as much as I have (in the past) on it, I would be long gone.

The Devs flat out insulting the PvP community (Geko calling us '14 year old min/maxers'), the outright lies and falsehoods regarding "PvP content coming soon! With the next release, we promise!" for over 5 years - until they eventually just stopped saying anything at all, combined with their shady business practices/terrible mechanics/no foresight?

I can't say I recommend STO for anyone who isn't just looking for a casual or Space Barbie game. Actually, I'd recommend STO be taken in the same regard as a browser game.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Why is there no "I love STO because it's the only MMORPG that held my attention till endgame !!! Why ??" option?
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    I have too much time and money invested in STO to simply walk away.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I very much enjoy the core game. I like a lot of the story missions and even though it's far from 'true Trek,' I enjoy playing in the Star Trek Setting.

I won't however, spend another dime until they get a real development team that will actually fix bugs instead of taking lazy and half hearted short cuts to everything.

I won't give money to a company without integrity, and Cryptic has proven to be that. I'll log in from time to time and play the little content I enjoy. One day soon, when the doors finally close, I'll hold on to the fond memories, but I'm not going to be standing on the deck of a sinking ship with a hull breach trying to bail out water with a shot glass.

The line must be drawn here.. no further.

This is very close to how I feel. There is a core that I think is good, and some of the staff--but they are given nowhere near the resources in terms of time or sufficient staffing to actually do their jobs right. I paid in the past but putting any more resources in is IMO a dangerous gamble and I have advised any new players not to pay.

For me I take it further and aside from one grind to get me DOFF slots for my Delta Recruit, I no longer even put my dilithium into the Exchange to ensure that I do not fund anyone else's habit.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • intraventianintraventian Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I only play STO because there's no other Star Trek game with this much content.

If one does appear, I'm leaving this game and never coming back. PWE and Cryptic have no idea what they're doing to this game.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Missing several options, like "I enjoy it for the most part, but wont pay for what I consider to be hugely overpriced pixels"
    Ive put some money in the game...and I will probably put a little more in there at some point but imo $60 for a set of 3 pixel outfits is beyond absurd. I won't even spend that on a full retail game unless it comes with a physical copy.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    STO is not the only MMO that I play. But it is the only Space based one I play. I also have a Lifetime membership with it. SO I will play till it's closes. But I haven't felt the desire or need to spend any more money on the game. When I bought the LIfetime Membership, I could play all my alts in a playing session and feel good about it. Now, it's changed so much that Alting is difficult to do. And not as much fun.
    I keep hoping every expansion that they get back to more fun and less grind. I know that it's an subjective opinion, but I also feel that I am not alone in this opinion.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • khan1000khan1000 Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I play STO because it's the only MMO that I understand !!! Why ??
    I play STO because i love star trek
    giphy.gif
    Fear the Dominion
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    I tolerate STO.

I like flying starships. STO lets me fly starships. As the game sits currently, there isn't really any point to flying starships in STO, so I only login for a few minutes in the morning, run whatever episode missions come up, then go play some other games. I hope one day there will be a reason to flying starships in STO again.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    None of your answers fit my situation.

I enjoy STO... but really, just filling time before another MMO is further along. Only reason I came back from a hiatus is that I was already a LTS. So cost me nothing, and had a nice chunk o Zen waiting for me.

There is so much room between Love and Hate for this game... but for what its worth;

These are my opinions only...

What I love about the game;
    • User Created Content (Foundry). It might be the games I play, but this seems to be pretty rare for MMO's to provide.
    • Genre - I am a Star Trek Fan (not a "Trekkie" or "Trekker", but a fan...)

What I dislike about the game;
    • Power Creep
    • Lack of Holy Trinity (yeah, showing my age), Was a time that wanting a healer, tank, and DPS was a requirement for some missions (and I think it should be again for advanced/elite).
    • Consistantly broken mechanics that result in OP FOTM builds.
    • Ships/Gear as content. This one really bugs me... and its related to the power creep... if you release more powerful ships/equipment/ability, there really needs to be a suitable challenge for the new more powerful ships... Other than seeing if you can complete ISA in under 2.6 minutes. I don't see the point in new ships if there is no new content that requires the more powerful ship.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The poll options are all unnecessarily extreme.

I play STO because I like it as a game. There is of course always room for improvement, but generally its a good game and has undoubtedly the best implementation of F2P that I've come across.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I love STO because I never run out of things to do. If I get bored of the story missions I can play foundry, or WRITE Foundry. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    I love STO. Im a big Star Trek fan, and whilst playing legacy I was literally describing STO as the game I'd love to see made to the mrs.
    It was only a few months later I actually discovered STO and I have not played another game since.
    I have at times been frustrated with bugs/crashes/lag etc, but my love of the game, the franchise, and the people I have come to know in it has kept me faithful and true through the tough times.
    Life being the meandering river that it is I have never had the reliable cashflow to go for a sub or lifer, so I am FTP, but like to think I have put more than enough on this game to build my own starship lol!
    But im happy to pay when I can, and grind when I cant, this game has a very satisfactory model for grinding in the sparser times. My time with fleetmates, and friends in game really helps the grindy days fly by.
    Many things have improved, and for me at least for every pain in the TRIBBLE introduced into the game there has also been something better to make up for it, and often the pains in the TRIBBLE are fixed or being at least looked at for fixing.
    My personal dealings with the Cryptic team have only improved in my time playing too in terms of communication and wotnot.
    To sum up, I do have the odd moan,dont we all, but I wouldnt play if the game didnt give me pleasure, for now at least and for the very forseeable future STO is the only game for me.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    And another poll with missing options. What about "i play sto because it is star trek only", for example? we really should remove polls. They are stupid most of the times.

no vote, sorry.

Like he said but I vote yes hG7UctY.png
    ​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    [*] Lack of Holy Trinity (yeah, showing my age), Was a time that wanting a healer, tank, and DPS was a requirement for some missions (and I think it should be again for advanced/elite).
    This isn't really a bad thing in and of itself, just when they replace it with DPS only as the alternative is it an issue, and in sto its one of the bigger ones, imo.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    i voted: I love STO as a game but I won't spend a dime on it !!!

why?

- this game has a huge potential: boffs, story, franchise, space and ground areas

but now my wallet will stay close, because this game is a nonsense, all its potential is wasted by the levelling (after lvl 50), the power creep, the upgrade system, the lock boxes etc.
    + the DPS race is totally senseless, ridiculous, and has killed the fun in this game.

the gameplay is not interesting, grind, grind and when you have reached level 60, the game is over; we have nothing to do, except all these ridiculous stfs. (foundry missions are sometimes interesting)

this game needs exploration. And it should be rethinking: a system for adding new stuff on my ships like in WOT; this could be more interesting, Or i would like to be the captain of 1 ship which evolves with me. in my opinion, that there are enough ships in this game; why i would like to buy ships only for doing these crappy stfs!!!!!, we need more interestig things. (the new fleet holding, lol just more grind for nothing)

the star trek franchise is not a franchise about ships. Star trek is based about exploration, diplomacy, intrigues, but none of these things are in STO.

in 1 word: EXPLORATION

i'm going to keep playing at this game, but i'm interested by 3 other games (my choice is not done yet, because 2 of them are not released). when my choice will be done, my money will be for this game. STO was a little bit interesting before DR, for me now STO is dead. I hope that the commercial system in sto will be changed, because like i wrote, STO has a huge potential.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I played other MMO's before. And when I say that, I played 4 or 5 for less than 3 hours a piece. Until recently I didn't understand how to play MMO's. Playing Star Trek taught me how to play an MMO. Could I ever get into another one? Possibly. I have been a huge Star Trek fan for over 20 years so it's unlikely that I'll play another MMO at the level that I play STO. I'm already 3000 hours into this game.

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    More fair to say I like STO, though, rather than love it. It's got its share of flaws, but none are deal breakers for me. Before this, I played a Korean MMO with a grind that would absolutely crush the grind complainers here; it got a lot of mileage for me out of using a steady flow of new content to disguise the grind, but the veil was worlds thinner than most Western-style MMORPGs. Flaws in STO do get addressed, regardless of the persistence of certain well-documented bugs, and it's markedly more fun to play. Why won't I spend a dime? Three factors, really: 1) I'm broke. 2) Virtually everything can be acquired without my spending real world money. 3) The value for the dollar is quite poor, considering: A shiny new T6 ship of a class I enjoyed at lower tiers is worth 500k - 1M dilithium, but paying $30 for a ship or $60 for a bundle every few months would altogether defeat the purpose of joining when the game went F2P instead of, like, buying a new game console and keeping it stocked with new games (or rounding out my last-gen library).
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Polls suck. Mainly because of the creators and the choices they give. You shouldn't make a poll if you can't make a poll, (unless you are in politics, then hell, all is fair).

I enjoy STO have since pre-launch. Is it Star Trek? Yes, when I look around, if I bothered to think about it, no it's not. Then again a Star Trek game would not make any money. The IP can't do a MMORPG.

I've done my fair share of games in the past, I've owned (and still do) most console systems. "Disposable income" is a $30 ship (I don't have to have all of them), that could have been spent on a $50+ console game, that I bought already. For the price of one ship in this game, I could buy a 2nd tier game non-used game for my current console system. I could also get all 4 endindings, spend 60 hours enjoying myself, and then set the game down because I'm done, but my ship still is going (or my uber power) 100+ hours later, I choose to do both.

STO has bugs, every game has bugs. STO has some bad missions and some real let downs on writing, so do all the games rated better than it.

Very few games I've play'd generated a community discussion of philosophy and theoretical physics as the Time-ship has, but like all the rest of the games out there it ended in trash talking epeen and uneducated,biased rhetoric. I'm really not surprised that "gamers" get a bad rap socially.

Back to the OP's question, it's a game, not the first, not the last and not the only one I play.

​​
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I play STO because it's the only real Trek game that's around.

As a game, it definitely has it's merits, but it's getting harder and harder for me to appreciate them as time goes on.

I'm a big Romulan fan, so when it was announced that Romulans would be playable, I was ecstatic. Then it was revealed that we weren't getting the Romulan Star Empire, but rather a generic rebel alliance faction in order to appeal to a wider audience, then there was the bizarre aesthetic choices of the uniforms and ships of the Republic, and the ridiculous faction alliance system. The whole Legacy of Romulus thing really drained my confidence in Cryptic as devs with integrity.

Ever since then it's been much harder to look at new additions and changes in a positive light... the T6/T5u mess... the massive crafting time sink and the upgrade system with its ridiculous dilithium sinks. The XP nerf, doffing nerf, queue nerf, re-releasing the Jem'Hadar attack ship as T6 with no way for those with the T5.5 version to upgrade to it...the changes to how the summer/winter rewards work, the increadibly grindy nature of the DR storyline, etc etc. It's all becoming very, very tiring. If I knew what a chore STO was going to be years down the road for me, I doubt I would have gotten into it.

If there was another Elite Force, Klingon Academy, Star Trek Armada etc out there right now, I'd definitely be playing that instead.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    I can't get any of my friends to play this, not even with threats and bribery. But then again I don't play the games they like, so it evens out in a strange fashion. Wish there was something else though, but the wishing wells seems to be inoperative, so here we are! This is my favorite place to be annoyed, and after a while you get so used to conflicted passions, it almost feels like a turbulent place to call home. Almost!
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Other.

STO is the second best game for me, and I love it, especially as a trek fan. The best game for me is dying on maintenance mode and has been for years, and the community there has decayed with the content. I invite people who think the situation really IS so bad in STO to take a good long look at CO.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    tried a lot off MMORPG last few years but I keep coming back at STO even playing the game with many bugs and irritation just love the trek core and the fans, In a strange way it's the best MMO for me not to difficult. The only problem I have is the prizes on stuff at the moment. like it that people want an elite game but why put the prizes up so high if you already have so much to loose out there ....
    And Devs put an bug team in that is only busy with finding bugs and put a solid solution on it !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    I can't get any of my friends to play this, not even with threats and bribery. But then again I don't play the games they like, so it evens out in a strange fashion

I recommended the game to someone i really hated a couple of months ago, and i did it on purpose xD. I wil never ever recommend this game to my friends or people i care about. I am not that bad person. I prefer to recommend em a decent mmorpg.