test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #14

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
After the attack on the Herald Sphere, the Alliance is left broken and struggling. With the overwhelming odds against them, there are questions of morality and what lines shouldn't be crossed.

Check out the latest Tales of the War here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9466993

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    "So we pushed back. We gathered every ship we could muster and attacked. And we failed."

"How do you fight a war when more than twenty percent of your officers are in sickbay? When more than a third of your fleet is either destroyed or disabled?"

A third of the overall forces or a third of Starfleets?

In either case... "Every ship we could muster?"

Where were the Delta race fleets?

Where were the Cardassians, Defera, Borg, Undine, Breen, Tholians?

Why didn't we do a Sisko/Garek? (Steal the dreadnought... send it into Fluidic Space... Provoke the Undine into fighting the Iconians)

Why am I British? WHY?!!!!

NOTE: I am willing to forgive if Kurkland was on one of those Defiants.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Kurland here? Kurland.. gone.
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    At least until we TRIBBLE with the timeline. Then he won't be gone, only our enemy.

...though seriously, he's dead? Damn.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Okay now seriously

Where are the Undine?
    Herald attacks have increased by 36 percent in the last 78 hours. And now Heralds of L'Miren are joining the fight, so they have fresh reinforcements where we have battered and outnumbered ships.

Undine... /serious face ... Let's go ask them for help... It's better than TRIBBLE around with time.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    At least until we TRIBBLE with the timeline. Then he won't be gone, only our enemy.

...though seriously, he's dead? Damn.
    Unconfirmed at this point.
  • Options
    Okay now seriously

Where are the Undine?
    Right... here....
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    (...)
    Where were the Cardassians, Defera, Borg, Undine, Breen, Tholians?
    (...)

This. The Deferi have some special ties to the preservers, the whole story arc was about that. It would be great to see them coming up with something to bring the galaxy back to balance, a new Deferi flagship or something pig-1.gif

But yes, I was asking the same question. Starfleet, KDF and RR are not the only races in the alliance. Yes, the others are "old content" but still...
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Okay now seriously

Where are the Undine?
    Right... here....

I'll make you a deal...

You give us Undine support... and i'll buy a Tehtys Dreadnought from a later R&D Pack event thing!

Deal?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    I feel........................ Insignificant.

Trendy is it time to unleash the secret weapon!?!?! Unleash the unicorn with laser beams on its head and rocket propelled hooves!!!!
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm still waiting for a response from my BOFF, who never left the ship AT ALL, knew someone on a destroyed ship! WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM ME!?!?!

Oh, and WTF is up with this line:
    The only thing I can think to do is change tactics. We rejected the Krenim ship because it would take too long to build. Because the questions of time alteration are too thorny. Because there should be lines we shouldn't cross. That we can't cross.

uh, wasn't that like our ONLY chance to win this war!?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    ak255 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a response from my BOFF, who never left the ship AT ALL, knew someone on a destroyed ship! WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM ME!?!?!
    Do you remember the day when you got that BOFF?

There was a day before that. The Bridge Officer had a life before he became part of your command.

And do you know what your officers are doing when you're offline?

​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    So when do we get to execute Kagran for incompetence again? Seriously, what an inept Klingon.​​
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Their Heralds are moving beyond military targets now to civilian populations.

Uhm, in Foundry missions.​​
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    I think the morality issue is already being discussed by many line Captians:

arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1196009/why-isnt-this-being-discussed
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I think the only logical thing to do is to remove the player from the time line, and undo all the damage we have done. Then they wipe all our characters from the game, and when we start again we are working towards some sort of peace with the Iconians, who were just misunderstood.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The only option is not to use the so called "only" option. it's more likely to erase everything you wanted to save along with the Iconians.

You know writers cant write when they present a number of options, then railroad you towards the most absurd one because "theres no other option".

Until we have actually exhausted our options in story missions, the timeship remains the worst of a selection of options.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Slightly editted repost of my last post on the Broken Circle thread. Seems relevant.

The Alliance is sending it's fleet against the Iconian Sphere/Iconia itself. They activate the temporal shielding so they don' get affected by the incursion, but something goes awry and they get shunted back in time. They arrive at Iconia to find no sphere, and the planet inhabited and undevastated. Surprise, Welcome to Iconia, 200,000 years ago, as a great alliance prepares to fight the Iconians and end them.

"Ah hell..." How's that for the god of all predestination paradoxes?

With the right writing, dealing with this (Especially if the Iconians are actually nice back then) could be a truly epic ending to the Iconian War. How do you save the Iconians, and yet stop the war in the future? My guess is that some ham-handed genocide cowboy goes ahead with the attack anyways. The player decides or has the option to save the Iconians- perhaps aided by some of the iconic characters (Shon, Tiaru, Paris, etc) and may even result in a civil war of sorts within the alliance. Perhaps you set the temporal shielding to cover Iconia and the "good guys", and leave the "genocide faction" unprotected. You then fire the weapon at Iconia.

After first modifying/resetting it to send Iconia **forward** in time rather then erasing it.

Genocide Crew gets erased, Iconia gets saved, war is over. And the Other saved them before, the Other will save them again as the Prophet in the wormhole said. Being non-Linear, he did not realise it was all effective one time, one incident. As far as the Iconians? If their memories get erased between then and the future, zero net loss since it's a forward shunt. The current day "Evil" Iconians get replaced by more reasonable ones. There are other issues in the timeline, like the Dyson Spheres... but those could be worked around. The text of the Tales #14 post makes me thing that it is our characters that are writing it. So maybe they will give us a chance to make a choice instead of just being a dalek. I say this because there is no name mentioned, just the rank.

The Whole shall be as One.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    At least until we TRIBBLE with the timeline.

Speaking of TRIBBLE with the timeline, I think some of that may have already happened. I noticed that the log entry for this Tale of War was dated Stardate 87264.5, which is just after the assault on the Herald Sphere. However, the events of Tales of War #1 took place on Stardate 87305.1, which was stated to have been two days after the invasion started. Also, Tales of War #2 and Tales of War #3 took place on Stardates 87310.7 and 87327.8 respectively.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options

Trendy is it time to unleash the secret weapon!?!?! Unleash the unicorn with laser beams on its head and rocket propelled hooves!!!!
    We must wait. Project Athena is not yet ready.
  • Options
    britewolfbritewolf Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Wow. Well, that TotW was all nice, happy, dancing, singing daisies and sunflowers...

In all seriousness, this is STO dealing with the issues and concepts that Star Trek does best. I love these little bits of blurb and 'behind the veil' stories, and this one actually moved me. Actually surprised by that, though maybe I shouldn't be. Thank you Trendy, regardless.
    General T'Reirr Asei
    Captain of the venerable I.K.S. Y'Kun.
    Warrior of the Empire; Savior of Cookies; Lord of String; Devious Little S*!7
    #PlomeekSoupForTheIndifferent #AmNotFluffy #Klingons4Equality #PriorityOneRocks #ShortButPouncey

#MaybeALittleFluffy
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Nice tales this.

Though saying that, like others have already said, where are the cardassians, delta allies (especially benthans and kobali), and undine? Even ferengi mercs could bought.

And what of those races we were at odds with, but who desire self preservation? The iconians have attacked tholians for sure, so they could be persuaded. What about the Breen, Dominion or Eldex's Vaadwuar? No love for the iconians there.

I reckon the voth are the best option of all tbh. Maybe the only race in the galaxy who can go toe to toe with them in terms of tech. I bet they could be convinced to divert some ships and/or tech to fight the greatest threat to them.

Though misguided, I get the impression their mistakes are ones born of desperation, as they tie up the majority of the borg forces almost single handedly. If the borg end up attacking the iconians also, that could give them the breathing room they need.

And since we're truly desperate, the Deferi. Every fleet needs cannon fodder after all.

Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options

Uh oh...

Have you been reading my foundry notes for "<Spoiler> <Spoiler> Mol'Rihan"

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Thinking back to that imposing Alliance armada when I first got to the newly built Krenim base, and then to the junkyard after the battle at the Sphere... The cost was waaaay too high. Again, because of a Klingon, who wanted his "daily fix of glory" (at least that's what it felt like to me); and all we did was make the Iconians angry. Until now, they only wanted to conquer us. They won't play nice after our last stunt. Especially T'Ket.

And when I looked at that time ship being built in the Kyana System (just before the attack on the Sphere), it gave me the shivers. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I believe our last hope is Sela, who is trying to gather allies beyond the "Prophets' gate" in the Gamma Quadrant (see Iconian Resistance rep. transmissions). In her messages she mentioned old enemies that would not talk to members of the Alliance. Will the Dominion (and maybe the Hirogen [if Sela can reach them], Breen and the Tholians too...?) join the fight?

I wonder if help arrives in time... (no pun intended there)... if there's any help left to count on at all.
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter

... I shall wait then!!!tiger-1.gif
    ​​
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Looks like the Tales of War start to stop making sense as well as the last story episode
    So we pushed back. We gathered every ship we could muster and attacked.
    When more than a third of your fleet is either destroyed or disabled?
    Hmmm, so how come that the Alliance supposedly gathered all its available forces, but 2/3 of the fleet are still operational - not even disabled - after what previously is pictured like a major defeat ?

Did we left most of our ships behind when we executed the attack ? Then no wonder we got spanked by Heralds. When you need to gather ALL of our ships - you gather ALL of them, and not that "all", which is not "all' at all :D

Or maybe 2/3 of the task force survived the battle without heavy damage ? Then why is supposed to be major defeat ? While we suffered heavy losses, we still have the resources for continued resistance.

Again we already we were told some time ago that we lost 1/4 of the fleet in the consecutive battles of Starbase-Whatever-Its-Number - New Romulus - Preserver Archive.
    Does it mean that we lost only 8% of ships during the attack on the Sphere (33%-25%=8%) ?

During the whole Iconian war arc we start to constantly see this messages "Our fleet was destroyed here", "Our fleet was destroyed there"... Just to find out that the Fleet is still here.
    Instead of cutting the head off the snake, we gave them a martyr.
    How "unexpected". The Admiral definitely should had read the intelligence we gathered on Iconians during the past operations. Then he would have known exactly, how painful their reaction to any Iconian death - let alone their leader - will be.
    Post edited by thelordofshades on
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • Options
    dave18193 wrote: »
    Nice tales this.

Though saying that, like others have already said, where are the cardassians, delta allies (especially benthans and kobali), and undine? Even ferengi mercs could bought.
    I have doubts the Undine are even involved at all, but I could be wrong. But the rest - I would suspect that most of them don't have big fleets available, and use theirs to protect their home world and colonies. ​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    stuntpilotstuntpilot Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    What's happening in the Gamma quadrant? Are the Dominion forces fighting the Iconians too, or is the war against the galaxy really just against half of it? I might have missed something in one of the missions ... does anyone mention it?
  • Options
    stuntpilot wrote: »
    What's happening in the Gamma quadrant? Are the Dominion forces fighting the Iconians too, or is the war against the galaxy really just against half of it? I might have missed something in one of the missions ... does anyone mention it?
    No mention of it other than Sela trying to reach the Founders to ask them for help. We'll see.​​