test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

broken circle

its the same boring stuff again and again. can't you guys change it up a little bit? I guess not? changing the graphic and voices doesn't make it exciting it makes it desperate. but alas. I'm the one playing it ain't I. starting to debate that more and more.

Comments

• caltircaltir Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I kind of liked the mission, but....

SPOILER ALERT below.

I cannot, however stand the ending of the mission. It's just completely illogical and senseless.

1. If there was not enough energy to support one Iconian, how come the deck could support two more?
    2a. If the troops had the flagship under control, why didn't they install the explosives in the process of liberating it, just in case they must abandon it? It would suffice to blow the remaining two Iconians out of the skies.
    2b. Or just destroy the flagship with the fleet as it was clearly at an end of its hull integrity and had no crew to defend itself!
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    caltir wrote: »
    1. If there was not enough energy to support one Iconian, how come the deck could support two more?

I think its more like the Iconians being sort of an Laptop with the Ships being sort of a power net. As long as the Iconians can tap into the power net, they can use its energy without using theirs (or replenish it very fast). When the Net fails, the Iconians have to use their own power to open gateways etc. Maybe the Ships are even tuned for one Iconian, so leaving such a ship while already having wasted much of their own, stored energy might prove fatal.
    The other Iconians came in with full energy. And we know from the Conference that the Red one (Tketh I believe) is a genocidel TRIBBLE, while the killed one (Mketh?) is a more moderate one. We pretty much killed the wrong Iconian for our good.
    2a. If the troops had the flagship under control, why didn't they install the explosives in the process of liberating it, just in case they must abandon it? It would suffice to blow the remaining two Iconians out of the skies.
    2b. Or just destroy the flagship with the fleet as it was clearly at an end of its hull integrity and had no crew to defend itself!

Jupp it was stupid, though the Iconians could have teleported away in a split second. But well, stupid plotlines must be maintained, eh. And STO has quite a few of them.
  • solax79solax79 Member Posts: 32 Arc User

I cannot, however stand the ending of the mission. It's just completely illogical and senseless.

Let's be real. The WHOLE mission was illogical.

*contains spoilers*

As Captain Kagran was calling for the assault on the Iconians, I was basically like, "That's a really bad idea."

During the fight, when things started to go south, I was basically like, "This is about as bad as I thought it would be."

Then at the end, after defeating M'Tara, we see T'Ket and the logical Iconian from "Time in a Bottle" both swearing to kill everything as revenge for killing the leader, all I could say was, "Wow, so this is actually going end worse than I thought it would be."

Oh, and as a cherry on top, at the end, Kagran labeled the mission a failure, at which point I had to wonder what we were even trying to accomplish in the first place.

I think this mission only served to remind us that the Iconian War is a "deadly threat that could end the entire galaxy".
    99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I'll give them this much: it finally felt like a war. That space battle outside the sphere was awesome. And the map design in general continues to impress.

My big problem with the Iconian War is that it's no different from any other enemy we've fought. The Iconian ships feel exactly the same as the Voth and the Undine and the Vaadwaur, and I can't imagine a 200,000 year old Type 2 civilization using the same lineup of fighters/frigates/cruisers/battleships/dreadnoughts as every other Type 1 power. I'm no dev, so I don't know how feasible this is, but I would have given the Iconians something completely different for their ships, something that doesn't neatly fit into any of those categories. The conventional space battles would stick to the servitor races, while the Iconians' own ships would be special bosses that require literally dozens of ships - and some unique powers - to defeat.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone