What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

these new forums suck!

124»

Comments

• Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User

That's a question that will never be answered satisfactorily.

Some PWE management tool who never has to deal with our complaints made that decision, and poor Trendy and others like her are left to fend off our outrage, while forced to spout the company line, and working to make the best with the nightmare that got foisted on them.

QFT, gotta say Trendy and others have taken a beating over this, (Not exactly innocent of a little poking myself :p .) but I really do believe that all of the PWE lot that are involved with this transition are doing what they can. Meanwhile I'm using the Vanilla enhancement add-on which makes it a little more bearable and user friendly, plus it gives me an excuse to muck about with BBcode...
    (⌐-)
    ​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And, by the goddess, allow me to unsubscribe from threads, so I won't get endless replies for all threads I ever posted in!
    go to notification preferences and untick the box

Yeah. But I don't want to unsubscribe from all threads: just the ones that no longer interest me.

Hrmm, there are two things...

Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.

You can turn off the comment on discussions I've participated in and leave the bookmarked turned on.

You can manage your bookmarked discussions here:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussions/bookmarked

Clicking the little Star in front of the person that started the discussion to unbookmark it.

You can get to the page to manage your bookmarked discussions by clicking the Star that's the third icon to the right of your name at the top of the forums.
  • Options
    fakefivefakefive Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    i appreciate the effort but, well they kinda look like some 14 year olds pet project.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Totally disgaree...I LOVE it...specially the polls and GIFs
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    It seems even OTHER PWE teams within PWE itself don't like the new Vanilla forums and are taking action:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/8309/announcement-migration-to-fedeen-forums

If that's the case, one has to wonder why Cryptic consented to allowing the old forums to be removed.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just shut up already. Does everything on the Forums (whether vBulletin or Vanilla) have to end up in a name-calling war? You'd think that people were on a 'Reality' TV show attacking others for its sake alone.

Geez.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Just shut up already. Does everything on the Forums (whether vBulletin or Vanilla) have to end up in a name-calling war? You'd think that people were on a 'Reality' TV show attacking others for its sake alone.

Geez.

Hello pot, have you seen kettle anywhere?
  • Options
    Did I mention I LOVE polls? o:)
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    It seems even OTHER PWE teams within PWE itself don't like the new Vanilla forums and are taking action:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/8309/announcement-migration-to-fedeen-forums

If that's the case, one has to wonder why Cryptic consented to allowing the old forums to be removed.

Well, THAT's interesting...

I took a (VERY) quick glance at the Fedeen forum... I have to say I like the look of those better than this drab Vanilla crud.
    ​​

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

Yeah I'm sure PWE was worried Cryptic wouldn't consent to the forum change. I bet there were dozens of meetings where frightened PWE managers discussed what would happen if Cryptic demanded the old forum remain as it was.

Oh wait... Cryptic is owned by PWE not the other way around. They couldn't stop PWE from changing forum software.
    ​​

So, I guess that means the ArcMobileTeam ISN'T a part of PWE? Interesting that one group in PWE appears to be able to say say 'No' without repercussions.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    I don't get why the forum came out this way. To me, they're not bad like people make them out to me but they're definitely disappointing looking at other Vanilla forums on the web.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Yes. The new forums are not very good. This is my first post in them. Had to find out that I had to activate insecure ciphers (!) to log in; the kind of which was default deactivated for safety reasons on the newest version of my browser.

Also (not a new issue but one that could have been fixed by forum swapping) switching pages only above and not below the thread/forum section is not good too.

For security reasons: This page appears to be quite good in testing server & browser security: https://www.ssllabs.com/index.html

edit:
    Also my join date shows 2014 while my oldest post from the new old forum was from 2012.

edit2:
    And I'm (at least not found yet) not able anymore to link to single posts.
    Post edited by theanothername on
  • Options
    Ohh did I mention:

Not enough moderation or volunteers to cover the entire spectra of ALL forums
    Flags are useless or nobody cares about doing much with what's being reported either spamming/insults.
    Support doesn't work since there is no real section to report issues on forum problems like it was in the former set up.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Cryptic had no say in this, whatsoever, of course. PWE says "Jump!", Cryptic asks "How high?"

If one PWE team can use a different forum, can we maybe too, please?! XD
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edit2:
    And I'm (at least not found yet) not able anymore to link to single posts.
    Go here
    iNjG8EW.png?1
    Do this.
    U0DFLUt.png?1.

Only way I've found so far.​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!