Options

Suspect (story)

13»

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »
    ...based on the attitudes of his minions and the fact that he willingly played these shadow games and exposed the people he's supposed to care about in the same selfish way as a typical Founder instead of taking the risks himself like he did in Starfleet, I am not convinced this is the same Odo, character-wise, that was on the show. As far as I am concerned, either another Changeling is taking advantage of the Federation's warm fuzzies towards Odo, or Odo himself is no longer the same person, and not trustworthy or upstanding as he was before.
    Well, he has been part of the Great Link for what, 25, 30 years? It would be surprising if he hadn't changed in all that time.

Yep. And as I mentioned, that could easily be ambassadormollari preparing to explore that and make us question that. Or even grounds for a sequel.

Until given clear evidence otherwise, I will consider Odo's presence and demeanor a Dominion manipulation rather than a sincere gesture.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...based on the attitudes of his minions and the fact that he willingly played these shadow games and exposed the people he's supposed to care about in the same selfish way as a typical Founder instead of taking the risks himself like he did in Starfleet, I am not convinced this is the same Odo, character-wise, that was on the show. As far as I am concerned, either another Changeling is taking advantage of the Federation's warm fuzzies towards Odo, or Odo himself is no longer the same person, and not trustworthy or upstanding as he was before.
    Well, he has been part of the Great Link for what, 25, 30 years? It would be surprising if he hadn't changed in all that time.

I suspect that he has learned about necessary risks. And he's probably got his hands tied, for lack of a better word, by the other Changelings. They're not just going to let him do things his way, they're too arrogant. It'd ruffle their feathers, so to speak.
  • Options
    Would they have manipulated his mind so he can no longer think independently when away from them?

That, I think, is a relevant question worth exploration.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Odo was always pretty determined in the pursuit of a murderer. How he suspected something was up is something I suspect will be covered in the next part or two.

I do feel somewhat bad for Sorel, and a little scared of him. Since a little child, he carried the weight of vengeance in a more literal sense and managed to mask it well enough to join the Diplomatic Corps. A heck of a long game with not much end in sight at the start. Scary.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    The revelation about Eraun's killer, when it finally came out, sent a shockwave rippling through the assembled delegations. Accusations of Federation complicity or of Dominion trickery were thrown back and forth at the negotiating table, and it took a great deal of bargaining on Captain Kurland's part to prevent the Klingon and Romulan delegations from leaving outright. When the initial chaos was ended, however, the Alliance took action. Sorel's office was ransacked by DS9 security as they searched for further evidence, and Sorel himself was placed in detention on the Archimedes' brig. Most importantly of all, the revelation of the telepathic that had killed Eraun and nearly killed Loriss prompted immediate action. With the Dominion's permission, telepaths assigned to the various Alliance crews mentally probed Loriss, and every other Dominion crew member that had come into contact with her or Eraun, until they were absolutely certain that the zey-ihlat had been purged. By the beginning of the following morning, the Lethean officer Ressic informed the delegation that the last remnants of the zey-ihlat had been removed from their last host, and that they had been 'delicious.'

The next day saw a return to the meeting room of DS9, the place where the entire ordeal had begun in the first place. As the assembled captains and emissaries of the Alpha Quadrant powers, Odo stood at the head of the table, looking for all the world like a screen-capture out of a history file. Everything about him-- his stern expression, his thin hairline, his rounded, smooth-skinned skull-- was exactly identical to the hundreds of images of him from the Dominion War era, even if he was wearing dignified white robes instead of the faded brown uniform of the Bajoran Militia. He was flanked by Vorak'Utaur and a rather sedated-looking Loriss, and seemed calm and at ease as he folded his arms behind his back.

"So...I am certain you all have questions," he said.

Ambassador Krogh wasted no time asking one. "Where were you this whole time?" he growled. "We had thought that the Dominion had just sent two Vorta to represent them, not one of their precious Founders! Why weren't you here, meeting us honestly at the table, instead of skulking in the shadows and sneaking aboard the station to spy?"

Odo turned to face the Klingon, and gave him a short bow. "I apologize for my deception, Ambassador Krogh," he replied flatly, "but I felt it to be necessary. It is no secret that my people are not well-liked in the Alpha Quadrant, especially after the incident with the 2100. I've kept watch over its station long enough to know how the civilian population would react if they heard there was a Founder on board. There would be rioting, mass panic, paranoia that any one of them could be a Changeling." He glanced at Captain Kurland. "It was as a courtesy that I wanted to keep my presence here a secret, so as not to turn what was already civil unrest into outright chaos." He looked back to Krogh. "I give you my word, I had every intention of being present, and undisguised, when the talks began."

"And yet you never revealed yourself at all, until now," Ambassador Satris pointed out.

The Changeling turned to the Romulan representative, and gave her a grim nod. "In part, it was at the urging of my staff," he said, glancing at Loriss, who lowered her head as though in shame. "After Eraun's murder, they felt that my safety was the top priority. I did not spend ten years upholding the law on this station, however, just to let a crime go ignored-- especially when that crime was the murder of one of my staff." He turned to Brax. "As Mr. Brax and vorak'Utaur were conducting their investigation, I was performing one on my own, using my natural abilities to glean what information I could. I came to the conclusion about Ambassador Sorel at roughly the same time as Mr. Brax did, which is in part why I was there to save him in time."

Brax took a deep breath. "Well...thank you, Ambassador Odo, I owe you my life, but...you didn't have to stay hidden, you know. Your assistance in this investigation would have been incredibly helpful, you know."

Odo turned his stern gaze to Brax. "Hrm. As much as I would have liked to assist you, Mr. Brax, I couldn't have," he said. "I had a suspicion that the murderer was someone close to the talks, and that certain...other parties were spying on the various delegations." His gaze drifted, ever so briefly, to Ta'nara, who made no reaction whatsoever. "I couldn't reveal myself without potentially exposing myself to the killer or to other hostile parties, and I had no idea whether or not I was the true target. If the killer was unaware of my presence, however, then I risked losing the advantage of surprise by helping you." His expression seemed to soften a little. "Do not think my unwillingness to help, however, was an easy decision, Mr. Brax. If the situation was different in any way, I would have offered my assistance at the first opportunity. For what it is worth, I feel that you conducted an excellent investigation without my aid."

The comment made Brax blink. Divine Exchequer, one of the most noteworthy security officers in Federation history just complemented me. He straightened out as best he could. "Ahm...well," he said, "I had good help." He nodded to Vorak'Utaur, though as usual, the Jem'Hadar remained silent.

"Hrm," Odo said again, before turning to Captain Kurland. "Now that this case has been brought to a close, the Dominion is officially dropping all charges against Rugan Skyl. We will also be issuing an apology to the Cardassian Union for his treatment. I would ask, however, about Ambassador Sorel."

Kurland glanced at Arkos, who nodded and spoke up. "Former Ambassador Sorel is currently in custody on the Archimedes," he said "and is awaiting trial for when we get back to Earth Spacedock."

Odo gave a satisfied nod. "I am glad to hear, then, that he will be tried fairly," he said. "The Dominion extends its thanks to the Federation, the Romulan Republic, and the Klingon Empire for the aid they gave us in finding apprehending Sorel. I feel that this is an important step towards a lasting friendship between us."

At this, Satris smiled warmly and stepped forwards. "Well, if that is how you feel, Ambassador Odo, then this gives us an opportunity to start over," she said. "As we are all gathered here at a table of trust and friendship, I'd like to return to the matter that brought us all here in the first pla--"

"No."

The bluntness of Odo's interjection seemed to catch Satris by surprise. "But Ambassador Odo, you haven't even heard our proposal!"

"I know precisely what your proposal is going to be, Ambassador Satris," Odo replied gruffly. "You are going to formally request the Dominion's aid in securing the Solanae Dyson Sphere, and in fending off the Undine threat. And I'm afraid the Dominion's answer is no."

The table looked like it was on the urge of descending into uproar. "But why?" Kurland demanded. "Ambassador Odo, we're meeting in good faith with you, and we even helped bring Eraun's killer to justice! Why will the Dominion not even consider our request?"

Odo looked at Kurland, his hooded eyes looking much more regretful now. "If it were up to me, Captain Kurland, then you would be hearing a different answer," he said sombrely. "But I must speak for the whole of the Great Link, not just for myself. There are many among my people who see the Undine threat for what it is, and would welcome an alliance...but there are many more who are refusing. You must understand, too many of us were killed by the virus in the war. My people are not yet ready to trust Solids again after that, no matter how much I try to change their minds."

Arkos stepped forward. "War will come your way, whether you want it or not, Odo," he said. "It's only a matter of time before the Undine start threatening the Gamma Quadrant as well. But it's more than just them you need to worry about: if your intelligence is any good, then you know full well who's behind the Undine invasion."

The Changeling nodded gravely. "Yes," he replied, "I do. And I know that my people are right to fear them. But the Great Link has made its decision, Captain Nair, and I cannot countermand it. Until I can sway them otherwise, the fleets of the Dominion will be staying on our side of the Wormhole, in accordance with the Treaty of Bajor."

A silence fell over the room. Slowly, Kurland let out a disappointed sigh. "So, that's it then? You came all the way here to tell us no?"

Odo glanced at Kurland and gave him a solemn nod. "One day, Captain Kurland, my people will see reason," he said. "When that day comes, the Dominion will be ready to stand alongside the powers of the Alpha Quadrant, as allies, if not friends. But until that day comes, you all must be ready to face the Demons of Air and Darkness on your own."

He tapped a device at his wrist. In an instant, the door of the meeting room opened, and two very familiar Vorta entered-- a somewhat sedated-looking Loriss, and an equally haggard, but very much alive, Eraun.

"You called, Founder?" Loriss asked.

"Prepare the ship for departure," Odo replied. "As soon as we are cleared, we will return to the Gamma Quadrant." He raised an eyebrow. "Also, I believe you both have something to say to these nice people."

Eraun gave an enthusiastic nod before turning to the assembled delegation. and smiling. "I understand that Loriss and I have all of you to thank for...well, curing us. We are incredibly grateful: it's so nice to be able to wake up without hearing strange voices and seeing ghosts."

Loriss did not smile, but gave a muted nod of her own. "I will not forget you have done for me," she said.

Arkos gave her a smile-- one that only his crew members would have recognized as a joking, sarcastic one. "Well, I'm sure you would have done the same for us," he replied, enjoying the look that Loriss gave him.

odo nodded. "Well, now that that's settled, return to the ship and give orders to prepare for the integration."

Eraun gave an eager nod. "As you command, Found--"

"Oh, for goodness sake, stop that,," Odo cut in gruffly. "I have a name, Eraun. Use it!"

Shaken, Eraun nonetheless repeated his nod. "Yes Found...Odo!" Without a further word, he and Loriss hurried out of the meeting room, leaving the rest of the delegation staring at Odo.

"What's this about an...integration?" Krogh asked.

Slowly, Odo turned back to the delegation. "Captain Kurland here was correct about one thing," he said. "I did not simply come all the way here to tell you no." His eyes hovered on Brax momentarily. "The events of yesterday proved that, despite our differences, the forces of the Dominion an the Alpha Quadrant powers can work together effectively." He turned back to the Ambassadors. "I cannot offer you an alliance, but I can offer you the next best thing...something that I hope will show the Link that cooperation between us is possible after all."

Captain's Log, Stardate 90159.20

In accordance with a recent agreement made with the Ambassador Odo at Deep Space Nine, today marks the beginning of an officer exchange program between the Alliance and the Dominion. Already, Starfleet Command is preparing a list of potential exchange candidates, and our allies are doing the same. At the same time, a large number of Jem'Hadar, Vorta and other Dominion officers have disembarked on Deep Space Nine, from where they will soon be transferred to positions in Starfleet, the KDF, and the Romulan Republic. While this is not the formal military alliance that Starfleet Command was hoping for, it does open bridges between us and the Dominion for the first time since the Treaty of Bajor. Officers from both sides of the Wormhole will now be able to learn and engage in each other's culture, and hopefully, in time, this exchange will lead to understanding, and possibly friendship. Given how fast events seem to be moving lately, I hope that is time that we have.

As of the recording of this log, the Archimedes is preparing to return to Earth Spacedock and bring Ambassador Sorel for trial. Before we leave, however, we have one new crew member to bring aboard...

The turbolift hissed open, and Vorak'Utaur strode resolutely onto the bridge. The Jem'Hadar took only a quick glance at his surroundings before stopping in front of Arkos. "Requesting permission to come aboard, Captain Nair," he said with his usual flat professionalism.

Arkos smiled and nodded. "Permission granted, Third Vorak'Utaur," he said. "Welcome aboard." He turned in the direction of the Tactical console. "Mr. Brax, you are relieved."

"Aye sir." Brax stepped away from the console and allowed Vorak'Utaur to take his place. "Hope this console isn't too confusing for you, Third," he added quietly.

Vorak'Utaur merely gave Brax a raise of his spined eyebrow as he stepped into the tactical station. "I have studied the layout of Federation operational consoles extensively, Lieutenant Commander Brax," he replied. "I am certain that if a Ferengi can use them, then I should have no difficulty."

Brax couldn't decide what surprised him more-- Vorak'Utaur's witty response to his comment, or the fact that the Jem'Hadar had finally called him by name. "Right, well, just don't fire the torpedoes by accident, okay?" he shot back with a smirk, before heading towards the turbolift. Now that he didn't have to worry about manning the tactical station anymore, he had more time to focus on his role as Chief of Security. And he'd have his work cut out for him, now that Vasquez was off on exchange duty with the Dominion...although Brax didn't envy him having to put up with the vorta for the next year or so.

As Brax left, Arkos slid down into his command chair. In front of him, he could see the brilliant cerulean expanse of the Bajoran Wormhole light up on the viewscreen, a shaft of golden light shining outwards from the centre of that swirling disk. For a moment, Arkos stared at that light, his inner eyelids sliding into place to shield him from the brightness, and he barely made out the scarab-like shape of the Dominion ship as it disappeared into that golden expanse. And then, with a suddenness that completely broke the moment, the Wormhole retracted and then disappeared completely, leaving empty void in its wake.

There would be no new alliance with the Dominion today, he knew. But someday, officers like vorak'Utaur might return to their Changeling masters on the other side of the Wormhole. And hopefully, when that day happened, Vorak'Utaur would have nothing but good things to say about his experiences with the Dominion's former enemies.

"Message coming in from Deep Space Nine, sir," Lieutenant Farim spoke up from conn. "We are clear for departure."

Arkos nodded. "Then it's time we left. Set a course for Earth, Ms. Farim, warp six. Engage."

And then the stars became a white, hazy blur, and everything-- Deep Space Nine, Bajor, and the crime they'd just struggled to solve-- was thousands of light years behind them."

End.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, because so many of you like posting cast lists:

CAST LIST:

Captain Arkos Nair- Tony Curran
    Lieutenant Commander Brax- David Hewlett
    Dr. Velnan Choll- Wayne Pygram
    Lieutenant Commander Neazri Sann- Isabel Fay
    Captain James Kurland- Ben McKenzie
    Lynathru- Hugh Dillon
    Rresh- Steve Blum
    Ressic- Mark Gatiss
    Captain Ta'nara Velar- Lena Headey
    Third Vorak'Utaur- Christopher Judge
    Loriss- Lisa Edelstein
    Eraun- Michael Sheen

Also appearing:
    Giancarlo Esposito as Ambassador Avran Sorel
    Rene Auberjonois as Odo

(Yes, I know this doesn't cover everyone, but I'd rather not wrack my brains too long on this).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Great ending, very well done. Enjoyed the mystery immensely. Even the opening of a door is a step towards peace.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    Thanks! And now that this darned thing is done, I'll answer some of the comments.
    Well, that was interesting to see Odo again, and it makes sense that the Dominion would want us to think he was the real ambassador. That said...based on the attitudes of his minions and the fact that he willingly played these shadow games and exposed the people he's supposed to care about in the same selfish way as a typical Founder instead of taking the risks himself like he did in Starfleet, I am not convinced this is the same Odo, character-wise, that was on the show. As far as I am concerned, either another Changeling is taking advantage of the Federation's warm fuzzies towards Odo, or Odo himself is no longer the same person, and not trustworthy or upstanding as he was before.

As Jonsills pointed out, you can't live somewhere else for as long as Odo has without changing in some way (pun not intended). I imagine that Odo's time among the Great Link has forced him to become a little more pragmatic, and a little more politically savvy. That being said, I see him as still being the same old Odo at his core-- as Odo revealed at the conference, he would have loved to openly help Brax, but he felt he couldn't do so without giving away the element of surprise and/or sparking an anti-Dominion riot.

I'll also be a little honest, even with this ending, there was a lot that I still wanted to shoehorn in, but couldn't because I'd written myself into too tight a corner. For instance, orginally I wanted to have Odo ask after Kai Kira before he left. Then again, in one of the original drafts of the story, Ambassador Krogh was supposed to be Worf, so chalk that up to far too many missed opportunities.
    My only criticism would be that choosing a stereotypically Vulcan name for Sorel made it hard to remember what species he was (Betazoid instead). But overall, great work!

Hmm, I can see how you'd think Sorel was Vulcan-sounding. I'll admit, I wanted to keep Sorel's species unmentioned up until the end, because I figured that the moment I mentioned he was a Betazoid, someone would immediately make the "Wrath of Betazed" connection. Bear in mind, though, that Sorel was my first idea for the culprit, but not the only one: as I wrote the story, other potential suspects included:
    -Loriss (who would not have remembered committing the murder, because she would have been cloned immediately afterward)
    -a rogue, mad Changeling
    -A True Way plot (culminating in an attack on DS9 and a defence by the Alliance and, eventually, the Dominion as well. That was one of the sillier ideas)
    But I kinda liked the idea of a Federation ambassador holding a swarm of angry ghosts in his head, so I went with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    As Jonsills pointed out, you can't live somewhere else for as long as Odo has without changing in some way (pun not intended). I imagine that Odo's time among the Great Link has forced him to become a little more pragmatic, and a little more politically savvy. That being said, I see him as still being the same old Odo at his core-- as Odo revealed at the conference, he would have loved to openly help Brax, but he felt he couldn't do so without giving away the element of surprise and/or sparking an anti-Dominion riot.

The thing that made me nervous about the idea--and still does to an extent--is that whenever Odo would link on the show, it seemed to compromise his free will. Hence after such a long exposure I have trouble trusting it's "him" anymore. I did see some more convincing evidence that it may be the real Odo and that his character remained, but I can't be 100% trusting since in addition to his skulking around, he's acting as a slaveholder (a gentler master, yes, but still a slaveholder), which I will consider him to be until the Jem'Hadar and Vorta are freed from genetic shackling of their free will.

It seems that maybe Arkos has some of that same distrust, and it was good for me as the reader to see him "mirroring" that, such as when he covertly displayed his disbelief that Eraun or Loriss would ever have lifted a finger for the Federation. I think that's a smart move on your part to not allow all of your characters to be too trusting or hopeful, since in some ways it validates the fact that readers are going to have varying views on the subject. :) Some will identify with Arkos' skepticism, as I do here--others will be more idealistic like Satris.
    Hmm, I can see how you'd think Sorel was Vulcan-sounding. I'll admit, I wanted to keep Sorel's species unmentioned up until the end, because I figured that the moment I mentioned he was a Betazoid, someone would immediately make the "Wrath of Betazed" connection.

I never questioned my idea that he was Vulcan...oops...my bad, is all I can say.

• Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    A fine and interesting mystery, well told. Thank you.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Not the ending I was expecting, but a fine piece none the less B)