test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should Cryptic devote their current programming energies to releasing Armadas or fixing bugs?

swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
Should Cryptic be devoting most of its programming attention to getting Armadas (and season 10.5) out the door, or delay Armadas and work on bug fixes and quality of life improvements in the current systems?

Should Cryptic devote their current programming energies to releasing Armadas or fixing bugs? 53 votes

Armadas now! My fleet needs this.
54%
comrademocorosetyler51thecosmic1coupaholicreximuzthemetalstickmansixofuspsyman87smeeinn1thypla3001repetitiveepicvegeta50024rmy1081azniadeettunebreakerstartrek1234567jam3s1701markhawkmanconkav22 29 votes
Armadas can wait. The bugs are driving me nuts!
45%
shpokscaptainoblivousr5e4w3q2vengefuldjinnvivenneanthonydaniela1055sysil84denniskr87swamariankodachikunoarliekkoslordprotiuskyle223catghostmattersom3one1crusader2007thatcursedwolftritan2409illusivelemontrek801 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    They should stop almost everything and work on bugfixing. But that will never happen, unfortunately, but my vote anyways.
  • Options
    What bugs do you mean anyway?

This is sarcasm, right? (i seriously hope so...)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    You do realize that this is not how things work, right? They don't ask themselves "shall we work on an old bug or program some new content today?".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    "Should Cryptic devote their current programming energies to releasing Armadas or fixing bugs?"

Technically speaking Cryptic's "programming energies" are on season 11.5/12 Armadas are, at this point, being polished for release not still being worked on... otherwise they wouldn't tell us anything about them.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    My current peeve is doffing in sector space. I believe that the assimilated console still breaks if you upgrade it. There's also the problems with ground doff skills resetting, and I'm still getting rubber banding, although it's getting better.
    It'd be nice if they listed executing and recently completed diff missions in completion order, like the old system did, but the current system's livable. Also some indication that a doff has R&D stats.
    Mostly, I'm tired of them releasing system n, while still fixing bugs from system n - 2.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Armadas. Because honestly, a lot of the game's problems are either slight inconveniences or purely cosmetic. But they have piled up a lot over the years, haven't they?

Of course, if a bug pops up, any at all, that would directly affect revenue, Cryptic's definitely gonna address that ASAP. :p
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    You do realize that this is not how things work, right? They don't ask themselves "shall we work on an old bug or program some new content today?".

No, but someone can say "development on Armadas stops while we work on these bugs." One of the comments on the Glass Door thread mentioned them having a lot of technical debt. Think of this as paying some of it off. (And hopefully, this'll help the people writing new systems write less buggy code.)

(And in my list of bugs, it looks like the client leaks memory.)
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    So what are the people working on finishing up armadas going to do while the programers fix the bugs?
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    They have more then one group of developers on the game and various devs with differing specialties, they can work on new features such as Armadas and bug fixing at the same time. Bugs for a game this size and complexity take time to reproduce and fix.

Us the game players have an uncountable variation of computer configurations. More types of computers and configurations then even the best Q&A teams would ever hope to have. We can help with bug fixing though, make proper detailed bug reports. Both in game and appropriate bug report pages here in the forums.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Cryptic does both at the same time. They fix bugs and release new content. Just because they haven't gotten around to the bugs you've noticed doesn't mean it isn't on their agenda.

When STO goes into maintenance mode, we'll get our glorious bug fixes as their programmers will be quite busy fixing all the bugs while their development team will have moved onto another project (or several projects).
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    hypl wrote: »
    Armadas. Because honestly, a lot of the game's problems are either slight inconveniences or purely cosmetic.

I am allucinating.. lol.
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    Cryptic does both at the same time. They fix bugs and release new content. .

lol, i wish that were true. Why people cant be just honest? i hate white knights, seriously.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    even if i'm not very interested by the armada stuff (= more grind), the game must evolved, and i think for the overall game, the armadas can be a good thing.
    Cryptic does both at the same time. They fix bugs and release new content. .

lol, i wish that were true. Why people cant be just honest? i hate white knights, seriously.

Iconians is right. cryptic has more than 1 team of devs. And they don't work on the same thing at the same time

• Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    You're forgetting that the "known issues" section of patch notes is for the issues that have a fix in progress. So if it's in the "known issues" section, THEY'RE WORKING ON IT.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    You're forgetting that the "known issues" section of patch notes is for the issues that have a fix in progress. So if it's in the "known issues" section, THEY'RE WORKING ON IT.

"Known issues" is stuff that Trendy knows about. Frost's verified a ton of bugs that never got into "known issues". (Heck most of the fixes you see each week were never listed as known bugs.)
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Cryptic does both at the same time. They fix bugs and release new content. Just because they haven't gotten around to the bugs you've noticed doesn't mean it isn't on their agenda.

When STO goes into maintenance mode, we'll get our glorious bug fixes as their programmers will be quite busy fixing all the bugs while their development team will have moved onto another project (or several projects).

hope this is bloody long way off
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    The bug staff and devs have said multiple times that what you see in patch notes is a micro-fraction of what's changed, updated, fixed per patch. To draw up an exhaustive list of the fixes per patch would be just that... Exhaustive....

Why waste time telling you what they've fixed when they could literally be fixing other things?
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    These types of threads always show up on a monthly if not weekly basis. They fix bugs and release content. Any MMO that just does bug fixes will never be caught up to a game being 100% bug free. Until they shut their doors.

/closed
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.