test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we put people on ignore?

originalshakkaroriginalshakkar Member Posts: 86 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Ten Forward
I don't see how to put someone on ignore with these forums. A few prolific cyberbullies really would be better off for everyone if they left, but the next best thing is to put them on ignore. How do we do this?
I used to be Shakkar with thousands of posts. My very identity was stolen from me so now I am originalshakkar, the original.
Post edited by askray on

Comments

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Just don't read their posts. It can't get any easier than that.
  • Options
    originalshakkaroriginalshakkar Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Actually, having them on ignore is easier than intentionally skimming past their names all the time. So it can get easier than that. What forums don't have ignore in this day and age anyway?
    I used to be Shakkar with thousands of posts. My very identity was stolen from me so now I am originalshakkar, the original.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ignore feature on a forum? what would be the point? the moderators are here to make sure that things are kept civil and putting people on ignore because you dont like them for silly reasons, then i may as well ask whats the point in a community forum for?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tomaswilletomaswille Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    ignore feature on a forum? what would be the point? the moderators are here to make sure that things are kept civil and putting people on ignore because you dont like them for silly reasons, then i may as well ask whats the point in a community forum for?

Civil? They just hold on to their own rules. Does not mean people know a way to work around it.
    And "silly" reasons? Who are you to determine they have silly reasons? OP is right. A simple ignore button could do fine. They should have all right to ignore people, no matter what reason. Why are you so against giving people the choice who they talk to, and what they read? The point of a community forum is to make people socialize, and not to make them feel bad, because some people are literally here to troll. No more, no less. I actually do not understand your unvalid response? He is just pledging for something to make his time on the forum more fun.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    tomaswille wrote: »

Civil? They just hold on to their own rules. Does not mean people know a way to work around it.
    And "silly" reasons? Who are you to determine they have silly reasons? OP is right. A simple ignore button could do fine. They should have all right to ignore people, no matter what reason. Why are you so against giving people the choice who they talk to, and what they read? The point of a community forum is to make people socialize, and not to make them feel bad, because some people are literally here to troll. No more, no less. I actually do not understand your unvalid response? He is just pledging for something to make his time on the forum more fun.

this is their game you are apart of that, you have to follow the rules or you can clear off to another game, its what you signed up to when you created your account, take part on the forums and play the game. there is no other answer.

and who are you to tell me what silly is in return? its like defining the word normal, we all have our own version of what we consider normal. thats what i am getting at, you add an ignore feature because you dont like this or that, then it fragments the community, some people will only chat to other people and others will chat to their own, it wouldnt be a community, it would be communities within the community with their own rules. if you got no one who would chat to each other over the forum because of the minefield that is the ignore feature, then whats the point in the community forum?

get off your high horse.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    As a poster on another forum so succinctly put it: Where people gather, life happens...

+1 on a block feature though... That's just a basic requirement for any kind of social media platform. People might not like people, and that's fine, that's their freedom of choice, but they shouldn't have to skim past their posts rather than just blocking them and being done with.
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I don't see how to put someone on ignore with these forums. A few prolific cyberbullies really would be better off for everyone if they left, but the next best thing is to put them on ignore. How do we do this?

If you use Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey then this script will work. Just add http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/* to the User includes and then add whichever names you want to ignore to the script itself.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    Ive heard of this before but cant quite grasp why u need to block someone, if u are being trolled just telll a mod. If they have a difference of opinion and u want to make the bad men go away, maybe social media is too deep a pool for u. I mean u always have the option to just skip over em too! if im missing something plz tell me...
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    An ignore feature is not a bad idea IMO. Certainly I think things should be reported to the mods when they violate the TOS, but sometimes the mods are not able to handle the problem in a timely fashion, or sometimes something that isn't a strict violation of the rules is enough of an irritant that one just wants to be rid of it, especially if it is seen frequently. In the latter case especially, the ignore feature can be useful for handling the problem individually without making a public scene about it.

And for that reason if we DID get an ignore feature, I would put talking about who one has put on ignore as being in the same category as talking about bans and mod actions. That creates drama instead of the intended use of the ignore feature to reduce drama. What I would at least say about the ignore if I got one is that I would not go around just throwing it around willy-nilly and hiding ridiculous proportions of the forum population. I'd use it once in a while, but not all the time.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    I guess i would feel guilty putting someone on ignore, even if they where trolling me. plus from my history here some people liked me other s didnt, the ones that take part in my posts didnt mind hearing from me, the ones that didnt want to hear from just passed me by, with that life when on. But the ignore button could also be misused too, it would allow for a person to troll themselves without having to deal with someone standing up for themselves, unopposed slander....ok now i get it. I was picturing a bubble boy syndrome but i was wrong, the guy u dont like can read all the horrible stuff u say about him but cant say "Nuh uh" back. Diabolically clever!
    evil-grin-2.gif