test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How well do you think most of the playerbase can adapt to harder content?

rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
When I say harder content I don't just mean things like new (soon to be old) Advanced. It could be things like no gear switching on combat maps, NPCs that use the same types of powers and tactics of players, and more. Do you think players would adapt or would they push back until NPCs are nerfed into pointlessness?

How well do you think most of the playerbase can adapt to harder content? 156 votes

It would take some time but I trust in my fellow players to rise to meet any battle
17% 28 votes
NOPE.avi
49% 77 votes
The Devs are out to push P2W by changing the NPCs. Fight until they are back to normal.
21% 33 votes
Other
11% 18 votes

Comments

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I don't even play STFs anymore due to the changes, if they keep making it harder, it just means less options for me to play.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    (other) Cryptic specifically focuses on low-friction gamers, so pointless to discuss it
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    If Cryptic nerfed the timegates and paygates as much as they nerfed the rewards then the majority of the player base could probably keep up. Alternate unfriendly Delta Rising sucked the fun out of the game for me and STFs that pop for needed rewards are slow. I don't want to wait around in a que forever just to have it not go because everyone does not accept, it fails or people leave and it fails.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited July 2015
    the real question here is weather cryptic can DESIGN harder content... and by that I mean, actual difficulty increase/smarter AI not a few million hit points and large AoE spam
    Post edited by kodachikuno on
  • Options
    the real question here is weather cryptic can DESIGN harder content... and by that I mean, actual difficulty increas/smarter AI not a few million hit points and large AoE spam

But it is not the question of this poll. So asking, if Cryptic did give us smarter AI used some of the tactics of lets say The Wizards of STO. Do you think most players would rise to fight the mobs or devs?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited July 2015
    the real question here is weather cryptic can DESIGN harder content... and by that I mean, actual difficulty increas/smarter AI not a few million hit points and large AoE spam

But it is not the question of this poll. So asking, if Cryptic did give us smarter AI used some of the tactics of lets say The Wizards of STO. Do you think most players would rise to fight the mobs or devs?

nope... considering last week I was in a conduit REGULAR that failed because ppl had nfc what they were doing and they struggled to kill spheres quickly
  • Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    I have no confidence in the common pug to be able to manage harder content. Pug groups are already barely passable as is.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User

This. So much this.
    It's gotten worse with each season. Voth, Undine, Heralds, all just rely on their one power they constantly spam till they die and some even after they're dead.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    the real question here is weather cryptic can DESIGN harder content... and by that I mean, actual difficulty increase/smarter AI not a few million hit points and large AoE spam

And that there is the heart of it. Before Profits Rising hit and Cryptic talking about more difficult content for those that want it, I was ecstatic. I was tired of the TRIBBLE, dumb NPCs that don't do anything despite all the fire and magic being thrown their way. I believed that we'd get smarter NPCs that can do abilities like players can, with closer frequency that players can. I hoped that they could do something simple like running TT, EPTS, PH, and FBP or something like that when under damage spikes. Or that they'd move to protect collapsed shield facings and rebalance their shields right. Or that they'd run things like Tractor Beaming players, pop APO3, then BO3 on a player.

But that was foolish hope. Then one of the Tribble Videos on YT came up a week or so before Delta Rising hit about some testers running Battle of Korfez. I watched with dismay that it was still the same, TRIBBLE AI. I watched with dismay as NPCs barely do any abilities, run no BUFFs of any significance. I watched with dismay that the only way the battle was long despite the damage output of the players was really only due to bloated HPs.

That was so disappointing.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I think I personally could adapt to harder content. But most playerbase? HAHAHA. We already have people who say that ISA is currently too hard.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

They can't. A thing they have proven time and time again.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    How many games even exist where NPCs actually fight like PCs, and have access to all the same perks and benefits?

Unreal Tournament? Some Fighting Games?

Any MMOs?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    How many games even exist where NPCs actually fight like PCs, and have access to all the same perks and benefits?

Any MMOs?

Good point. This whole thread is pretty much set in the land of make believe so look at it as one big what if.
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User

And that there is the heart of it. Before Profits Rising hit and Cryptic talking about more difficult content for those that want it, I was ecstatic. I was tired of the TRIBBLE, dumb NPCs that don't do anything despite all the fire and magic being thrown their way. I believed that we'd get smarter NPCs that can do abilities like players can, with closer frequency that players can. I hoped that they could do something simple like running TT, EPTS, PH, and FBP or something like that when under damage spikes. Or that they'd move to protect collapsed shield facings and rebalance their shields right. Or that they'd run things like Tractor Beaming players, pop APO3, then BO3 on a player.

But that was foolish hope. Then one of the Tribble Videos on YT came up a week or so before Delta Rising hit about some testers running Battle of Korfez. I watched with dismay that it was still the same, TRIBBLE AI. I watched with dismay as NPCs barely do any abilities, run no BUFFs of any significance. I watched with dismay that the only way the battle was long despite the damage output of the players was really only due to bloated HPs.

That was so disappointing.

Every MMO raid I have been requires some sort of killing. Except those players/group. Players who completed the raids pass the Damage requirement. The same can be reasoned for players who cannot finish those raids in other games, to them they are just bloated HP since Their group isn't capable of killing the mobs.

Nor those raid npc function like high caliber players. Name me a raid MMO who's AI is as good as the best pvp player?

Which brings me to agreeing at this point...

Any MMOs?

I agree.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    this all depends on how you define harder content, if you mean more complicated puzzles to work out and obstacles to overcome that's great, if you just mean enemy with higher hit points then no.

this is why I enjoy playing things like Infected: The Conduit, The Cure Found and Khitomer Vortex on advanced.

I feel there is just the right balance of obstacles to overcome and the enemy appear to be just hard enough to be challenging but not too hard to be unbeatable.

Brotherhood of the Sword is also fun for the same reason.

recent changes have gone a long way to getting the balance right but there are still some missions that are all pew pew and little else and just seem to go on forever.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options

Any MMOs?

Good point. This whole thread is pretty much set in the land of make believe so look at it as one big what if.

Then I think the answer is no.

Look at this game's PvP. It's as close as you get to the type of challenge players would face, and you see there are not many that bother with it anymore. All the power available to players useable against players? It can quickly suck the fun out of the game.

It's not just the challenge. It's also the type of gameplay you have to face. Being stunned, confused and vaped can be quite frustrating, and it requires a special mindset to deal with all of that.

But hey, if it's a big What If we can also pretend that the gameplay result would be more satisfying and the more annoying parts are gone.

I still don't think that players would adapt to that.
    And, quite frankly, I also don't think they need to. If people are having fun without nail-biting challenges, we don't need to force it on them. The people that want nail-biters - we should try to provide them something, too, but we don't need to require everyone to rise to that challenge.

Making good, strong and powerful builds and devise elaborate tactics and counter-tactics doesn't just require "skill". First and foremost, it requires a lot of dedication. Some people want to dedicate themselves that much to the game, but many will not. It's still just a game. A game among many, and only a hobby to distract of all the challenges of real life.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    After some of the builds and things I have seen people using, I have no confidence at all that most players could handle anything more difficult.

I honestly believe that the players using sensible and reasonably thought out builds are in the vast minority. Anything harder then the normal story line content on normal difficulty is too much for a lot of players.

Sad but true.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User

Any MMOs?

While there sure aren't MMOs who have player rivaling AI they do have other things to compensate for that.
    Stuff like varying behavior patterns, changing battle conditions, basic buffs for enemies (tactical team would be our example), etc . STO really has nothing besides insane HP scaling to ramp up the difficulty and the devs are caught in a terrible, lazy, loop. Make stronger weapons => buff mob hp => make stronger weapons => buff mob hp =>...... etc, etc.
    Generally STO has one of the worst mob AIs I've seen in a MMO and no amount of hp scaling can hide that.
  • Options
    I would like to bring up a classic tale of why NPCs that can do what players can do won't happen.

Engineers once a buff
    So the Borg too
    Spheres got fast and kicked some backdoor
    And everyone cried boo hoo

That was pretty awful. Let me try again. EPTE got a buff, some NPCs use that power as well (key group being Borg spheres), so for 30 seconds you got ships speeding across the map like players. As you can guess spheres are the causes of most failed STFs so if you let them get fast and failed STFs get on the rise and remember, this was before "Profit Rising".

Long story short, the borg got hit with the nerf hammer and players get to remain the fastest things around.

So let another question. What happens to a pug when a pack of borg ships cross heal each other?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    That was pretty awful. Let me try again. EPTE got a buff, some NPCs use that power as well (key group being Borg spheres), so for 30 seconds you got ships speeding across the map like players. As you can guess spheres are the causes of most failed STFs so if you let them get fast and failed STFs get on the rise and remember, this was before "Profit Rising".
    The amazing thing is that Tachyon Beam wasn't nerfed yet. Or was it?
    So let another question. What happens to a pug when a pack of borg ships cross heal each other?
    Option 1: They realize the power of love and friendship and overcome the challenge with teamwork?
    Option 2: Ragequit.

• Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    Please specify what you mean by "harder content".

Because there is no such thing as hard difficulty in this game.
  • Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Most current players arn't even capable of completing advanced STFs without drooling impotently and failing the mission, so I'd say no.
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    Let's look at that the past track record of things shall we?

Cryptic has already stated that they will not put in an AI. Let's face it, an AI would potentially make the game even more unplayable for most and technically, could only apply in story arc missions. So Cryptic increased the hull of ships and resistances that they have. They put in timers for completing the missions. They had rewards worth getting if you completed said missions.

Upon completion of this, those who did the old "elite" facerolling missions until the enemy died missions took to the new advanced and elite missions. They failed gloriously. Complained heavily. Meanwhile some of us who wanted a real challenge found the VERY first changes extremely challenging. For the first time we couldn't go in focus on the transformer and generators like we used to. We had to take out the cubes on both sides first and then could do the generators and transformer. It made a 90second mission into 4-5 minutes easily for us. And kept us on our toes. Some of us loved it. But enough felt it was too difficult and so they nerfed it. Our first real challenge was met with such opposition that it never stood a change.

So upon changing it again after this, it became doable for a lot more. But still more are complaining about the content. Instead of trying to better themselves, either from spending time on the game in other areas or by repeating missions for gear rewards they simply tried to stay as they were. And while there was some minor tweaks here and there, it wasn't until recently that the time to complete missions was removed. So now or at least in due time, once again with doing a one thing at a time completion it can basically be facerolled again until completion.

Honestly, even IF Cryptic came out with some elite content, there's not a lot of challenge going on anymore. Biggest challenge is hitting Iconians and that's only a challenge because they can stop you in your tracks for a few seconds and disable your ship weapons thus delaying their demise. And even the couple Elite missions we have can be done in the right team setups. So it's less a matter of time and just a matter of skill and team work for those. Something a lot don't particularly aim to improve or even do.
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Any MMOs?
    The AI has cheated in every fighting game I've ever played....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Nope.

I played many normal queued missions with two of my captains because I wanted to tryout different type of weapon loadouts. I was using Mk XII rare quality weapons and tactical consoles because they are relatively inexpensive and effective enough to determine if it was worth investing time, effort and EC in crafting and upgrading those types of weapons.

Many the PUGs I was involved with basically did not know what they were doing such as in Infect Spaced where the other 4 players split up; two attacking the Borgs on the right and two attacking the Borgs on the left. Other times it seems their starships were armed with "laser pointing devices" rather than energy weapons. I see beams of light shooting forth at enemies, but the enemies do not take any damage.

• Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Considering even now I have to routinely be the one to save PUG ISAs by TBR, or even eject warp plasma, or close radiation gates in Gateway to Grethor advanced while the rest are oblivious to chat instructions as simple as "close green gates" (granted not everyone speaks English, but that doesn't mean every single one of those doesn't), is good enough evidence to me that both old (ISA) and new (GTG) maps are much too difficult for a large section of the player base who seems to prefer hitting the space bar when enemies show up while ignoring everything else.

I'd like harder content, but not in the sense of bloating them with shield and hull HP, while at the same time limit access to this different type of advanced by first ensuring players are capable of reacting to various scenarios in mandatory single-player story missions, and then have each player individually assigned certain simple tasks in a PvE that if they themselves fail they are the ones to be kicked out of the mission so they can no longer break it for everyone else, and passing those, then it becomes a true team-effort.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    It'd be great if the NPC's were programmed to use PvP tactics and buff cycling in combat instead of the lead bricks we fight now. That'd make the game very interesting and fun, especially if they scaled their HP to normal levels.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    It'd be great if the NPC's were programmed to use PvP tactics and buff cycling in combat instead of the lead bricks we fight now. That'd make the game very interesting and fun, especially if they scaled their HP to normal levels.
    Considering even now I have to routinely be the one to save PUG ISAs by TBR, or even eject warp plasma, or close radiation gates in Gateway to Grethor advanced while the rest are oblivious to chat instructions as simple as "close green gates" (granted not everyone speaks English, but that doesn't mean every single one of those doesn't), is good enough evidence to me that both old (ISA) and new (GTG) maps are much too difficult for a large section of the player base who seems to prefer hitting the space bar when enemies show up while ignoring everything else.

I'm gonna say it. PvE is a so dumbed down game mode, without a decent AI, that I don't think the playerbase would be smart enough to overcome. It's a vicious cycle: they screamed to have harder content, they got it, they cried for being too hard, it was rolled back, now they're screaming again.

It's also one of the reason why I avoid PvE community.