test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Banners should be no higher than 200px?

2»

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Correct me if i am wrong but i swear trendy posted something saying Sigs etc etc had to be a limited size!?!
    JtaDmwW.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Banners shouldn't be higher than max 200px AND be non-animated
    qziqza wrote: »
    this is one of those mentalities that just seems to be getting worse, and i find it rather annoying, and very self centred. why people would prefer removing a facility from everyone, rather than just asking for a way to 'opt out' of said facility is totally beyond me, this whole, "i don't like it so nobody should have it" attitude is just so very.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me..!!

There's no need for this over-the-top persecution complex. :) It's a poll, that's all. Your 'No' option is included in the poll. Although, since this was a public poll, it shows you as having voted "Banners shouldn't be higher than max 200px." Oopsie. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Correct me if i am wrong but i swear trendy posted something saying Sigs etc etc had to be a limited size!?!

I read they should be max 350px in height.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    Banners shouldn't be higher than max 200px
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    this is one of those mentalities that just seems to be getting worse, and i find it rather annoying, and very self centred. why people would prefer removing a facility from everyone, rather than just asking for a way to 'opt out' of said facility is totally beyond me, this whole, "i don't like it so nobody should have it" attitude is just so very.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me..!!

There's no need for this over-the-top persecution complex. :) It's a poll, that's all. Your 'No' option is included in the poll. Although, since this was a public poll, it shows you as having voted "Banners shouldn't be higher than max 200px." Oopsie. :P

I think you may be misreading something. He's saying he wants to keep the gifs but limit their size. Limiting the size does not equal taking away gifs.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

yall DO realize there IS a method to remove sig images from your forum experience right?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

yall DO realize there IS a method to remove sig images from your forum experience right?

At this time though, there is no option to disable all GIFs in your Preferences.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    Banner can stay 'as is', far as I'm concerned
    hypl wrote: »
    I do think there needs to be size restrictions. Support for animated gifs is a welcome addition and should remain.

I share this sentiment.

Furthermore, if a signature image/gif is inappropriate then the moderator staff can remove it/respond to complaints.
    It may be good if we had control over displaying gif vs image though, perhaps as a way to cater to those who are on restricted bandwidths and still want to see signature banners but not gifs - however, we still don't have other more helpful features like bottom of page navigation... so priorities.

Please don't stifle this form of expression and identity.
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Why you hate dancing Jojo?
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    The problem of course is: there are animated signatures and on the other hand there are animated signatures. Without wanting to shame anyone (which I do not mean as a "no names" thing but as a "even if I dislike something it doesn't mean it has to be wrong"), there are two examples right behind each other in this thread, the first one I find very annoying, the second one is a-ok for me. If I had an option of blocking the one out without third party help, that'd be great, I am just not sure this forum software has that option.

And about "me-me-me-me": it is also "me-me-me-me" to do something that annoys others. It is always a question of who should go back a notch and it's not always the same answer.

(And admittedly, I am me-me-me-ing here, since I do not vote because of possible real effects on people as much as of because what I like.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm up for size limitation, but to be honest some non animated images can be just as headache inducing.
    GMV4eIn.jpg
    OR
    mI7Gtbi.jpg

The fact that we can embed images in all posts, leaves animation in sigs a bit of a moot point.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    When banners are larger than the actual content of the post, something is clearly wrong. Animated gifs are even more obnoxious because they slow down the loading of the site.
    Never been a friend of either and liked how it was handled on the previous forum.

You wanna get attention and be the centre of everything, go write a blog.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    I personally think there should be a size limit but I would like to keep gifs as some of them can be very good, unfortuatly there will always be one who has to abuse it - which is where the asblock or spoiler wrap would come in.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

indeed, and that was my opinion, on both counts.. me thinking that banner height should be restricted, isn't asking for an exclusion, it is asking for a limitation.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

At this time though, there is no option to disable all GIFs in your Preferences.
    see here's the thing, i have a disability.. it is my disability.. not other peoples. if there are restrictions on what i can do or where i can go, or environmental considerations to be accounted for, i take it upon myself to find suitable solutions, i never.. ever, try to place that responsibility upon anyone else. why should i? its my problem not theirs.

in the case of gifs, you can't use the internet without coming across them, so if they are an issue, the only safe option is to disable all gifs from being displayed on your web browser, which is really rather easy, you actually mentioned it in another thread.. adblocker.

i really dislike it when people attempt to use disability as an excuse to push their own agenda, aside from being reprehensible it is also very insulting, as we tend to be able to stick up for ourselves when the situation warrants it.. and this really isn't 1 of those situations.
    Post edited by qziqza on
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    edited July 2015
    xyquarze wrote: »
    And about "me-me-me-me": it is also "me-me-me-me" to do something that annoys others. It is always a question of who should go back a notch and it's not always the same answer.
    it is only 'me me me me' if annoying others is the intention, or are you suggesting that all forms of self expression come under the 'something to annoy others' category?

tYld1gu.gif?1
    xyquarze wrote: »

Zactly! :) Sticking page-high animated banners in someone's face is equally "me-me-me-me" as someone asking for their removal.

A forum is a public place. Hence there's nothing "me-me-me-me" about putting up a poll, asking ppl how they'd like said public space to look.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I have no issue with things as they stand now with sigs/banners.