How do you feel about Polls?

2»

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Poles are better.
    Because you can hit someone with it for making too many polls. :D
  • solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Meh.
    Polls are easy way to get data skewed anyway you want.

How much do you hate STO?
    • Divorced - Very much hate it forever!
    • Married - Mostly hate it, but I'm stuck here
    • Dating - Kinda hate it so I get around
    • Casual - I live on the forums talking about it, but I still ultimately hate it

According to my poll 100% of users hate this game.
    Meh.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Meh.
    [quote="tehbubbaloo;12585962"i dont mind polls provided they have decent choices.
    i dont like it when people include a 'pie' option for people to waste votes on, not do i like the 'other' option that so many special snowflakes are fond of. but what really annoys me are choices that attempt to extrapolate your reason for making the choice, or contain words like 'because'...

do you like dogs?
    1. yes, because they are little and cute!
    2. no, because they scare me!

stop doing that.
    Item 1 isn't a dog, it's a mutant rat. :p Anything smaller than a housecat isn't a dog.
    And to me the standard for a housecat is this:
    maine_coon-cat.jpg
    so if you have reason to be concerned that the vicious feline beast will eat it, then it's not a dog. :p[/quote]

The only mutant rat I would ever want is one that comes with 4 mutant Turtles as well lol

NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    Meh.
    sov42 wrote: »
    Polls are ok, but Poles are better for dancing. :3

native english-speakers have no idea how much the words pole, pool, pull, and pill sound. as in, like virtually indistinguishable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    sov42 wrote: »
    Polls are ok, but Poles are better for dancing. :3

native english-speakers have no idea how much the words pole, pool, pull, and pill sound. as in, like virtually indistinguishable.

I think you missed the joke in there. /smh
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Polls are great!
    i dont mind polls provided they have decent choices.
    i dont like it when people include a 'pie' option for people to waste votes on, not do i like the 'other' option that so many special snowflakes are fond of. but what really annoys me are choices that attempt to extrapolate your reason for making the choice, or contain words like 'because'...

do you like dogs?

stop doing that.
    Item 1 isn't a dog, it's a mutant rat. :p Anything smaller than a housecat isn't a dog.
    maine_coon-cat.jpg
    so if you have reason to be concerned that the vicious feline beast will eat it, then it's not a dog. :p

No. This is a housecat.
    Manoel.jpg
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    And these are puppies!

black-bears-800.jpg
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Artists like seeing artwork, statisticians like seeing poll results. What can I say, I would rather see polling than trolling.

Funny you should mention trolling, your poll asking about people to vote on the current state of the game is trolling the devs directly. A well informed player would already understand what the Devs are doing to continuously improve the game.

Or, the secret is that Cryptic doesn't know. If Cryptic's numbers are not matching reality, the company could very well be facing a disconnect. Cryptic's competition, SWTOR and ESO, are currently putting out a better product. Cryptic might not understand what has been happening. MMORPG news released at E3 was impressive. Free2Play/Subscription based MMORPGs are moving toward story content, less grinding, substantial rewards, quick level progression, open world pvp, instant level 60 options, etc... Unlike their direct competition, Cryptic didn't announce anything 'new'. SWTOR and ESO announced and released new changes, which upset STO fans have always wanted. While Cryptic is installing new grinding projects, their competition is heading in the opposite direction.

MMORPGs are turning into single-player games, which focus on: story driven content, open pvp and social worlds, high level of rewards, and quick level progression. Why? Players are moving back to pcs and the single-player experience.

SWTOR and ESO's developers listened; thus, they game players what they wanted.

If Cryptic's past is of an indication, they will not listen to poll results. People wanted the Krenim over two years ago. Instead of releasing what people wanted, Cryptic gave everyone dinos with lasers. Regardless about what these polls reveal, Cryptic will deliver something entirely different.

All these polls will show is a disconnect between players and Cryptic.

Gecko and company will come out with a mess of reasons why they cannot deliver.

Polls are a joke.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    artan42 wrote: »
    i dont mind polls provided they have decent choices.

do you like dogs?

stop doing that.
    maine_coon-cat.jpg
    so if you have reason to be concerned that the vicious feline beast will eat it, then it's not a dog. :p

No. This is a housecat.
    Manoel.jpg
    Awww... pretty kitty. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Meh.
    It depends on whose poll I am looking at and how well equipped that poll is.
    It also depends on what kind of mood I'm in and whether or not that poll has a nice looking owner.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    There are too many polls. . .
    Please stop all the polls on the forums, they are crowding out the regular posts on "Discussions" listing.

Thank you.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Don't want polls unless it's a 10 foot poll to go with my 50 feet of rope. Can't be too careful in dungeons these days.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Please stop all the polls on the forums, they are crowding out the regular posts on "Discussions" listing.

Thank you.

NixYNHE.jpg

/tencharacters
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    iconians wrote: »

/tencharacters

Just for you @iconians

43ede25b248659e1472c99bf609002408fab6d4a3280c81d8e844c10b6cf76a2.jpg

6tviTDx.png

[quote="iconians;12588688
    /tencharacters[/quote]

I am sure that was a very witty response, iconians...unfortunately, I can't see it.

I had to turn all the pictures off on this frickin' forum, too.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Oh, sorry. In response to your comment about polls crowding out regular discussions in the forums, I thought I'd be witty and point out that nothing of value is being lost in doing so.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    iconians wrote: »
    Oh, sorry. In response to your comment about polls crowding out regular discussions in the forums, I thought I'd be witty and point out that nothing of value is being lost in doing so.

Nothing to be sorry about. It is my problem with the forum format, not with you.
    Thanks for taking time to explain it in text form. :)

I do miss being able to browse through the forums unimpeded by announcements, polls, log-in requests, and pictures that are getting exceedingly larger by the minute.

Oh, and lest I forget....the smattering of posts from games that are somehow getting by the filters. LOL!

• sativasavantsativasavant Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Meh.
    Never really thought about it. I love pierogies with cheese but I really don't know much about Polish culture. Presumably they're like any other group of people, some good some bad.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    I think having a poll feature is a good move on these new forums.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Poles are better.
    I think I made the very first poll in the new general discussion.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190643/new-forums-so-good-ah/p1

Yeah. Not much choice there other then to imply you like the new forums and that's it.

I wouldn't touch your poll with a 10 foot pole. Now if you had a less biased option such as not liking the forums then maybe I'd vote in your thread. I'm not implying that I dislike the forums. I actually do. But if you're gonna have a poll it needs to be impartial. Of course there have been more polls after yours asking if people like the forums or not.

So to be honest, people seem to be making polls for just about anything now and some of it is dumb and pointless. I'm not able to re-vote in this thread nor would I do so anyway. I still think a pole is great to use against people making too many dumb polls. :p (seriously though, do we really need 10 polls asking if players like the new forums?) Sheesh.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    Best Poll evah...

X9ZgcAJ.gif
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Poles are better.
    Hmm, a poll about polls. Not sure if trollpoll 79bee7dc35d387d4659f69408e9f6572.gif

Seriously, most user polls are not executed very well. At one point General Discussions first page featured like 7/10 poll threads and those polls featured suggestive, skewed options. I understand a certain curiosity about "what the community thinks", but polls that actually have some value are more difficult than to list some options and look at the results, lolling. Further the poll might destract fromt he topic itself because people are only interested in clicks and coloured beams thant he topic itself.

Bottom line: Maybe create a poll-subforum and disable the option elsewhere. So people could link their relevant polls in the poll forum in threads not in the poll forum. If that makes sense. be7131334f6fc16e5b1c5d1d9b824fa6.gif
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Meh.
    i honestly couldnt care less about the poll feature.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Hmm, a poll about polls. Not sure if trollpoll 79bee7dc35d387d4659f69408e9f6572.gif

Seriously, most user polls are not executed very well. At one point General Discussions first page featured like 7/10 poll threads and those polls featured suggestive, skewed options. I understand a certain curiosity about "what the community thinks", but polls that actually have some value are more difficult than to list some options and look at the results, lolling. Further the poll might destract fromt he topic itself because people are only interested in clicks and coloured beams thant he topic itself.

Bottom line: Maybe create a poll-subforum and disable the option elsewhere. So people could link their relevant polls in the poll forum in threads not in the poll forum. If that makes sense. be7131334f6fc16e5b1c5d1d9b824fa6.gif
    yeah but that point was also when we had that guy who was getting banned daily make a new account every day and start another poll just to get banned again.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2015
    Poles are better.
    :::groan:::

19283685849_fd55029a17_c.jpg

And again, I'm not saying that we shouldn't allow polls. I'm glad the feature exists, just . . . yeesh.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.