Options

How do you feel about Polls?

tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg

How do you feel about Polls? 189 votes

Polls are great!
39%
randomuser2burstdragon323oceansongzeuxidemus001mercury80oldravenman3025sabrevt1100captainoblivouskhamseenairvengefuldjinntinead51kurumimorishitahawku001xeazziemustrumridcully0[Deleted User]sharpie65stuntpilotdaniela1055thestargaze 75 votes
Meh.
16%
datalives#1627snakeswar2sativasavantvirusdancerworffan101mikoto123atehbubbaloomirrorchaosbaddmoonrizinr5e4w3q2jonathanlonehawkjkbennett2008daveynyvonednaorici1701shadowwraith77sumghailomax6996kermanicanis36 31 votes
There are too many polls. . .
26%
comrademocojorumgandrstostargatewarsantonine3258duncanidaho11psychoplattcaptainmal3kimonygulberatvalenn1sarossfreakiumsmeeinn1tmreeves7acidjackmeimeitoosysil84reginamala78questeriusdirlettia 50 votes
Poles are better.
17%
loverofwarsdariel23originalboodahdaboholicreverandclintxapocalypseponyxthemetalstickmandraogndragonsbrethrensmokeybacon90psyman87monkeybone13arrmateysa3001urmuz1oldkhemaraaianto3084nileight1comdriverangrytarg 33 votes

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Oh, that's mean, if I don't mark "Poles are better," I insult a friend. :P

I think some polls are fine, and I've made one myself (the Windows 10 poll in Ten Forward, which I think asks a reasonable question), but I think spam polls should be moderated as trolling/spamming.

So I put "too many polls" but I do NOT think the feature should be removed.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2015
    I like the feature, but its being abused waaaaaay too much

BTW Taco did/are you work/ing on the research lab, or did the new guy do it? XD
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    very much depends on the poll..

onion-54.gif good poll
    onion-43.gif bad poll
    onion-68.gif ugly poll
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    It is starting to seem people are using polls as doom threads now.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    Artists like seeing artwork, statisticians like seeing poll results. What can I say, I would rather see polling than trolling.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    gulberat wrote: »
    Oh, that's mean, if I don't mark "Poles are better," I insult a friend. :P

I think some polls are fine, and I've made one myself (the Windows 10 poll in Ten Forward, which I think asks a reasonable question), but I think spam polls should be moderated as trolling/spamming.

So I put "too many polls" but I do NOT think the feature should be removed.
    Since it's at the beginning of a sentence, it might not be a proper noun.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    Assuming Direct Control!
  • Options
    mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    Potentially useful feature being abused for attention grabbing purposes. Perhaps set General Discussion as 'No Polls' zone, but let them be used elsewhere?
  • Options
    Artists like seeing artwork, statisticians like seeing poll results. What can I say, I would rather see polling than trolling.

Funny you should mention trolling, your poll asking about people to vote on the current state of the game is trolling the devs directly. A well informed player would already understand what the Devs are doing to continuously improve the game.
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    I love them. They are mostly meaningless, of course, but so is most of the forum discussion, isn't it? ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Too many. Y'all have to add some sort of cool downs. :p
    LEmWhkGA.gif
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    I think I made the very first poll in the new general discussion.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190643/new-forums-so-good-ah/p1

Yay?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Hmmm, I think before we have a poll on polls, we should poll about what answers people can be polled on polling about polls?
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    cidjack wrote: »

Funny you should mention trolling, your poll asking about people to vote on the current state of the game is trolling the devs directly. A well informed player would already understand what the Devs are doing to continuously improve the game.

Sorry if you see it that way, but I don't know how best to get the feel of what most people are having issues with, as opposed to a few people complaining constantly and very loudly. I chose a poll precisely because it gives people the chance to state their opinion without risk of real trolls jumping on them.

My sincerest apologies if the Devs take my other thread as a direct insult. I just don't know what the best way is to add your voice to a concern without fanning the flames.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Polls are great!
    I don't mind them,...

EDIT: as long as they are to do with the Star Trek Online or Star Trek content.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I only voted this one because there are way too many loaded polls and "gotcha" answers.

"Do you think loaded polls are great?"

"Yes, they are the most awesomest thing in the world and I wish more people would list loaded polls."

"No, I think loaded polls are dumb things because I'm a whiney crybaby who wets the bed."

Other than that, I think the poll mechanic for the STO forum is a welcome addition.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Hmmm, I think before we have a poll on polls, we should poll about what answers people can be polled on polling about polls?
    2kGIe4D.png that would of course seem the.. logical.. course of action.

Post edited by qziqza on
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Meh.
    I don't love them or dislike them if I feel like answering them I will do if I don't then I won't
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    Meh.

Owwww. I think you broke my brain :(
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    It is nice to have polls on here since we didn't have them on the other forums. It's a great way to see how the forum users react so long as the questions and answers are specific. ;)
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    Meh.
    i dont mind polls provided they have decent choices.
    i dont like it when people include a 'pie' option for people to waste votes on, not do i like the 'other' option that so many special snowflakes are fond of. but what really annoys me are choices that attempt to extrapolate your reason for making the choice, or contain words like 'because'...

do you like dogs?
    1. yes, because they are little and cute!
    2. no, because they scare me!

stop doing that.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    polls are really no different to normal threads, nobody is being forced to get involved. at 1 end of the spectrum there will be very beneficial, informative polls that will add something positive to the community, while at the other end of that spectrum there will be 'foustie piles of dung' requiring hazmat precautions to handle and dispose of. as an option, i think polls are a great addition.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Polls are great!
    i dont mind polls provided they have decent choices.
    i dont like it when people include a 'pie' option for people to waste votes on, not do i like the 'other' option that so many special snowflakes are fond of. but what really annoys me are choices that attempt to extrapolate your reason for making the choice, or contain words like 'because'...

do you like dogs?
    1. yes, because they are little and cute!
    2. no, because they scare me!

stop doing that.
    Item 1 isn't a dog, it's a mutant rat. :p Anything smaller than a housecat isn't a dog.
    And to me the standard for a housecat is this:
    maine_coon-cat.jpg
    so if you have reason to be concerned that the vicious feline beast will eat it, then it's not a dog. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    I am just waiting to see polls degrading players and fleets, basically flaming under the "poll" banner.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    Meh.
    I am just waiting to see polls degrading players and fleets, basically flaming under the "poll" banner.

Wasn't there already a poll comparing polls? Competitive polling, eh? Will there Poll Leagues...how many Polls Per Second will somebody need to get an invite? Will folks complain about polls posted by people with [Pla] consoles on their toons?
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    Polls are great!

At this point fleets are empty and players are a rarity so there is no one left to flame.
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Meh.
    I like the concept of polls. Sadly, I feel they are often poorly used.
This discussion has been closed.