test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Photoshop: Show your work!

tomaswilletomaswille Member Posts: 119 Arc User
Present your work here, as long as it is Star Trek related. Also other programs are allowed.
Could be : Artwork, Fun mash-ups, Idea's etc.

I will be posting stuff aswell.
giphy.gif

Comments

• tomaswilletomaswille Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    Made this for a forum about music. And we talked about potatos. So we had a good laugh on this one.
    2dri9lu.png
    giphy.gif
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I no longer own Photoshop since I changed jobs, my laptop died, and my new company does not offer free Adobe products as a benefit.

I DO have Paint.NET, however, and I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished with my signature below. :)

The trick to Photoshopping IMO is not being that super great with every command. It's about good taste and subtlety--i.e. knowing what is or isn't an eyesore, and knowing when NOT to use that particular filter or brush. Better to keep it simple and effective, than to do stuff just for the lulz, that looks bad.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    thickets-doff2-1nea3s9.png
    I made this for fun when I found out about this contest... after it ended. Maybe they'll do another one sometime.

Edit: Another thing I don't like about the new forums: they make my pictures huge.
    76561198032353876.png
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I no longer own Photoshop since I changed jobs, my laptop died, and my new company does not offer free Adobe products as a benefit.

I DO have Paint.NET, however, and I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished with my signature below. :)

The trick to Photoshopping IMO is not being that super great with every command. It's about good taste and subtlety--i.e. knowing what is or isn't an eyesore, and knowing when NOT to use that particular filter or brush. Better to keep it simple and effective, than to do stuff just for the lulz, that looks bad.

I believe there is no rule whatsoever about taste or the reason why you do it. If you want to photoshop for fun, why not? You only can photoshop if you know what is good taste? The problem here does not lie with the artist. It's the public. Taste is not a general thing. It is personal. For you it might be bad taste, for another its art. There are artist in the world who uses their bare hands to paint a picture, instead of a brush. So you cannot tell an PS user what not to use, because their sky is the limit. The picture above i made, is not ment to be realistic, it is not ment to be a way to show my techniques. In fact i did this in 10 minutes, and it wasnt about my skills, it was just to be funny in a certain forum subject. And people laughed about it, so my 10 minutes of work was not in vain.

I think you are confusing Photoshopping in free time and working with it in the office. Where you have boundaries.
    giphy.gif
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    tomaswille wrote: »
    I believe there is no rule whatsoever about taste or the reason why you do it. If you want to photoshop for fun, why not? Except that, you only can photoshop if you know what is good taste. The problem there lies not with the artist. It's the public. Taste is not a general thing. It is personal. For you it might be bad taste, for another its art. There are artist in the world who uses their bare hands to paint picture, instead of a brush. So you cannot tell an PS user what not to use, because their sky is the limit. The picture above i made, is not ment to be realistic, it is not ment to be a way to show my techniques. In fact i did this in 10 minutes, and it wasnt about my skills, it was just to be funny in a certain forum subject. And people laughed about it, so my 10 minutes of work was not in vain.

I think you are confusing Photoshopping in free time and working with it in the office. Where you have boundaries.

I am not sure how you got from what I said to the idea that I critiqued your picture--that's quite an assumption there. O_O In fact, I would say you did it very effectively and your artistic choices matched the tone you were conveying with the piece, and were well executed. You showed attention to lighting, choosing source graphics that weren't pixellated within an inch of their lives, and to the overall composition and layout of the picture. You should be proud of accomplishing that, especially in the context of a 10-minute speed challenge.

But again, there was no reason for you to jump from my remarks to assuming that I was taking a shot at you somehow.

The point I was trying to make is that a little bit can go a long way, and that people who don't have tremendous knowledge of the program can make awesome stuff without stressing about the fact that they don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the program...effective use of what one does know can more than make up for that. If that's not inclusive--if that's not a message for everyone to give it a try--then I don't know what is.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    gulberat wrote: »
    tomaswille wrote: »
    I believe there is no rule whatsoever about taste or the reason why you do it. If you want to photoshop for fun, why not? Except that, you only can photoshop if you know what is good taste. The problem there lies not with the artist. It's the public. Taste is not a general thing. It is personal. For you it might be bad taste, for another its art. There are artist in the world who uses their bare hands to paint picture, instead of a brush. So you cannot tell an PS user what not to use, because their sky is the limit. The picture above i made, is not ment to be realistic, it is not ment to be a way to show my techniques. In fact i did this in 10 minutes, and it wasnt about my skills, it was just to be funny in a certain forum subject. And people laughed about it, so my 10 minutes of work was not in vain.

I am not sure how you got from what I said to the idea that I critiqued your picture--that's quite an assumption there. O_O In fact, I would say you did it very effectively and your artistic choices matched the tone you were conveying with the piece, and were well executed. You showed attention to lighting, choosing source graphics that weren't pixellated within an inch of their lives, and to the overall composition and layout of the picture. You should be proud of accomplishing that, especially in the context of a 10-minute speed challenge.

But again, there was no reason for you to jump from my remarks to assuming that I was taking a shot at you somehow.

The point I was trying to make is that a little bit can go a long way, and that people who don't have tremendous knowledge of the program can make awesome stuff without stressing about the fact that they don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the program...effective use of what one does know can more than make up for that. If that's not inclusive--if that's not a message for everyone to give it a try--then I don't know what is.

No, i realise you were not referring my picture mate. But i explained in my example how fun also could be a part of photoshop. And it should not be a reason why anyone should stay off- if they don't have the knowledge. :) I get your point, but again, knowledge or not, there is no reason why people shouldnt use photoshop :) I do not judge unexperienced work. :)

giphy.gif
    Oh, another one :

20pbtjt.jpg
    giphy.gif
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    My Gornzilla sig was a photoshop project I did a while back. I'll put it back up later.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    My sig was made in GIMP, as with all my other stuff. I shall provide a few small examples, including 3 STO userbars that were made using a tutorial I found.

sto_userbar_fed_by_rattler20200-d631384.png
    sto_userbar_kdf_by_rattler20200-d6312t5.png
    sto_userbar_romulan_republic_by_rattler20200-d66awh8.png
    gdi_userbar_by_rattler20200-d42f7ip.png

what_if__nx_01_meets_mothra_by_rattler20200-d3e932l.png
    I know... my extracting/trimming skills need work. Kinda hard to tell when you gott manually make toolpaths with a dark on dark area.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Someone noted there was no Defiant on this poster so I pasted one in with the GIMP.
    19354343162_223ce2a3b0_o.jpg

Post edited by kimony on

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    Perported Klingon text: "Revenge is a dish best served cold."
    18751176685_3388f3c395_o.jpg

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    This was for one of the screenshot monthly contests a little while ago, done with Gimp.
    bltG04l.jpg?1
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!