test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which should come first? More trait slots or more free starter traits to fill those slots?

rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
It has been said that a split 9/9 trait loadout is coming but one of the things really slowing it down is building free traits to fill those slots. This thread is to see how does the forums feel about that

Which should come first? More trait slots or more free starter traits to fill those slots? 59 votes

Give us the slots now and worry about filling them up later.
74%
lan451comrademocoikonn#1068f9thretxcbones1970daboholicr5e4w3q2vivenneanthonypsyman87stuntpilotrepetitiveepicdenniskr87psych2lkodachikunoiconiansdrakethewhiteseriousdaveadamkafeiplaztikman64peterconnorfirst 44 votes
Wait and make sure new players have enough traits to fill them
15%
nightkenkojirohellfirerosetyler51duncanidaho11jodarkridervegeta50024fulleatherjacketillusivelemonbobtheskull99 9 votes
Other (please post below)
10%
shpoksgavinrunebladeartan42sheldonlcoopertarastheslayerlsegn 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Hopefully we'll see it soon on holodeck and in a better state than the other stuff they later added. *cough*loadouts*cough*
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Hopefully we'll see it soon on holodeck and in a better state than the other stuff they later added. *cough*loadouts*cough*

Lets not let PEBKAC determine things.

Loadouts had problems sure, but really......

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Give us the slots now! Or better yet give em to us 12 months ago.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It will probably come together with a single patch, if it comes at all.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    As it is people swap traits out for different content, I think people would rather have all their traits active and have empty slots than have to choose space or ground traits for every mission.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    if it comes at all.

Yep and leave it to cryptic to nerf it as well according to this formula:

9 traits today = 5 space traits + 5 ground traits tomorrow.

Simple cryptic math we may have fun with!
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    maina wrote: »

Lets not let PEBKAC determine things.

Loadouts had problems sure, but really......

Yeah loadouts work now but remember the state they went live with and the time it took to actually fix them? The power tray bug that made some characters completly unplayable since it reset the tray after every map change? Or a more recent case with the boff revamp, it's fixed by now but it also was very buggy for a couple of weeks and away teams still tend to bug out and reset to their default powers. They sure gave us reason to doubt them whenever they change something on the UI.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    There is absolutely no reason to not split them out now. I have, what is it, 4 or 5 starship trait slots and only 1 that I can put in there. Their reasoning is simply not valid.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    We need both, we need the trait slots split for both ground and space. We also need more traits to stick in them in the first place. I don't believe aiming at just one or the other would actually achieve anything useful, and anyway anything that improves play friendliness at this point is overdue.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    tempus64 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to not split them out now. I have, what is it, 4 or 5 starship trait slots and only 1 that I can put in there. Their reasoning is simply not valid.

Let's be honest their reasoning was always pretty unreasonable. Remember one of their latest masterpieces?
    They don't make & sell red and green sci ships 'cause nobody buys them.....
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    There are already more trait slots unlockable on tribble with the new fleet holding.

It looks like cryptic is doing this:
    1. Traits in lockboxes, missions rnd, etc
    2. Few more slots
    3. (Presumably in development) new free traits
    4. More slots

And I'm OK with this progression. I still think anyone who feels they need all 9 for space and all 9 for ground has some build issues that need to be addressed, which would bring more long-term satisfaction than the trait change. That said, it will give me a lot of fun options so its all good.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    We need both, but if a hard decision were to be made, this is the one. I have no issues admitting I'm entitled and selfish on this issue, but rearranging all the things when I want to do ground and space (I am one of those weird people who love both equally), it makes me want to strangle an epohh.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I think there is enough traits available to fill the necessary slots as you advance now. It really should be a non issue and they should just move it along.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    *looks at the poll*

Wow! I can only say this on the matter. Cryptic treats players better than players treat each other and I'm thankful for that.
  • Options
    *looks at the poll*

Wow! I can only say this on the matter. Cryptic treats players better than players treat each other and I'm thankful for that.

My thoughts on this is that it might just motivate people to do more if they have a reason to complete some content. Getting something to fill a slot has the potential to keep people playing to get the thing to fill the hole. SO I am not being mean, just trying to be practical and consider it an incentive to get more people into the queues and doing stuff in game.

Just my general thought though....
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    If a race currently does not have enough space traits to fill up nine slots or enough ground traits to fill nine slots then tautologically they already lack enough traits to full the current nine slots with all of one of them.

Waiting until the devs can fill them out does nothing for the players currently and just means they get to deal with the inconvenience of switching for ground and space manually or not bothering to switch them and deal with a sub-optimal selection even longer. In other words, lose-lose.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    If a race currently does not have enough space traits to fill up nine slots or enough ground traits to fill nine slots then tautologically they already lack enough traits to full the current nine slots with all of one of them.

Waiting until the devs can fill them out does nothing for the players currently and just means they get to deal with the inconvenience of switching for ground and space manually or not bothering to switch them and deal with a sub-optimal selection even longer. In other words, lose-lose.

As I'm typing this my level 2 Romulan Engineer has 6 space traits and 10 ground. If Cryptic gave in and did as you and 33 others has voted on she would spend level 30-60 (a pretty big chunk of the game) flat out weaker then others thanks to have space trait slots not filled unless I was willing to pay.

If I'm reading this right and I don't think I am reading this right, you are asking for pay to win or in this case, pay to be normal.
  • Options

As I'm typing this my level 2 Romulan Engineer has 6 space traits and 10 ground. If Cryptic gave in and did as you and 33 others has voted on she would spend level 30-60 (a pretty big chunk of the game) flat out weaker then others thanks to have space trait slots not filled unless I was willing to pay.

If I'm reading this right and I don't think I am reading this right, you are asking for pay to win or in this case, pay to be normal.

Your level 2 romulan has enough traits to fill the available slots for both ground and space at that level.
    I don't think the OP is asking that all 9 trait slots for ground and space be open at level one, only that space and ground are split and that the traits are opened as in normal progression. In you case, when you get your 7th space trait slot to open, hopefully you have done something to have a seventh space trait to be available by then.

Which would not be any different from now, except in this case you would just an less than optimal ground trait in the spot for space ops.

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User

How does having empty slots you have nothing to put in them make you weaker than having no slots to fill with nothing to put in them if you did have them to fill?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    sisteric wrote: »

Your level 2 romulan has enough traits to fill the available slots for both ground and space at that level.
    I don't think the OP is asking that all 9 trait slots for ground and space be open at level one, only that space and ground are split and that the traits are opened as in normal progression. In you case, when you get your 7th space trait slot to open, hopefully you have done something to have a seventh space trait to be available by then.

Which would not be any different from now, except in this case you would just an less than optimal ground trait in the spot for space ops.

I got that. The idea would be that I unlock one space/ground trait at every tenth level. You start with 3. At level 30 I would have 6. And there is just about no more traits for me unless I work my tail off at crafting or use the exchange. Which anyone can guess once a 9/9 split happens all lockbox traits are going to cost an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I have warned about this many times. Those asking for traits revamp will not care for the results. I would say the chances of 9/9 are not good. I personally expect to see 4/4 to fit with the look of the rest of the UI. The rationale will be - well, you only lost 1 trait.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I guess I'm one of the few people who remembers when secondary deflector slots first came out and everyone bitched and moaned about how there was nothing to fill them with. It's wiser to wait.
  • Options

How does having empty slots you have nothing to put in them make you weaker than having no slots to fill with nothing to put in them if you did have them to fill?

Please note I said weaker than others. The others in this case being characters who have a filled ground trait tab during levels 30 to 60 where my Romulan would be TRIBBLE out of luck until I grind up enough EC on a main in order to get her ground traits or another FE comes along that traits as a reward. If I'm remembering right the earliest mission to reward one is the Undine FE where the Fed/Klingon War is ended.
  • Options
    I guess I'm one of the few people who remembers when secondary deflector slots first came out and everyone bitched and moaned about how there was nothing to fill them with. It's wiser to wait.

I remember. Just that deflectors slots had nothing to fill them with.
    Traits slots are out there, just requires work to get them.

I got that. The idea would be that I unlock one space/ground trait at every tenth level. You start with 3. At level 30 I would have 6. And there is just about no more traits for me unless I work my tail off at crafting or use the exchange. Which anyone can guess once a 9/9 split happens all lockbox traits are going to cost an arm and a leg.

Or you can be patient and get the traits once you get up to 50 and start doing the end game content.
    Me I don't normally really do much with those traits till I get to 50, when I start being able to run STF's. Until then, I don't even put traits in till I remember about them. Then I load up the space traits and don't switch. So my ground play is sub-optimal all the time. But it's just to much hassle to keep switching out between the ground and space traits to make me do it.

As for costs going up, they may. Or they may not. I believe it will be more of a spike then crash event. But you never know for sure.

• Options

Do I hear an echo?

Anyways, that's why it's wiser to wait, because I know from past experience if they gave us all of the slots now, there will be a cacophony of wailing on the forums complaining about how there's nothing to put in them. I know this community. It will happen.
  • Options
    I'm happy at least one person is honest with themselves when it comes to this. Thanks Iconians
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

Do I hear an echo?

Anyways, that's why it's wiser to wait, because I know from past experience if they gave us all of the slots now, there will be a cacophony of wailing on the forums complaining about how there's nothing to put in them. I know this community. It will happen.

The way I see it, they're going to complain anyway. They complain about anything and everything. Everything is a point of contention. Everything is objectionable. You know the community as well as I do.

So, complaining alone should not be enough to deter Cryptic from going forward with this quality-of-life update.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »

Do I hear an echo?

The way I see it, they're going to complain anyway. They complain about anything and everything. Everything is a point of contention. Everything is objectionable. You know the community as well as I do.

So, complaining alone should not be enough to deter Cryptic from going forward with this quality-of-life update.

Perhaps, but it'll likely cut down on the amount of whining in total. Because there'll be whining about empty slots, and there'll be whining about the change in general, and when the new traits finally do come out, there'll be whining about the lack of effectiveness or the overpowered effectiveness of the traits, and whining about how you get the traits.... Waiting will cut back a fraction of that whining (the "EMPTY SLOTS!!! WAAAH!!" whining).
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »

Do I hear an echo?

Perhaps, but it'll likely cut down on the amount of whining in total. Because there'll be whining about empty slots, and there'll be whining about the change in general, and when the new traits finally do come out, there'll be whining about the lack of effectiveness or the overpowered effectiveness of the traits, and whining about how you get the traits.... Waiting will cut back a fraction of that whining (the "EMPTY SLOTS!!! WAAAH!!" whining).

There is always whining on these forums over the small stuff and large. Iconians is right about the whining, the forums will always find something to whine about. It's the nature of the beast. In this case, though, I think the whining will quickly dissipate on this subject and others things will take the forefront.

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »

Let's be honest their reasoning was always pretty unreasonable. Remember one of their latest masterpieces?
    They don't make & sell red and green sci ships 'cause nobody buys them.....

No one buys them because there's so few people on the Klingon and Romulan side to actually get them.
    I have warned about this many times. Those asking for traits revamp will not care for the results. I would say the chances of 9/9 are not good. I personally expect to see 4/4 to fit with the look of the rest of the UI. The rationale will be - well, you only lost 1 trait.

Except they said they were looking at a 9/9 split a few times on podcasts.

The Reputation traits were cut down to 4 space, 4 ground and 4 active at the time because they wanted reduce the gap of power between a fresh level 50 and a maxed out Reputation level 50 character. I remember most of the complaints over it was that where they had 16 passives a the time, they got they were able to only use half of them at any point in time.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png