test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any word on how Spec Point gain is being addressed?

imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
Trendy recently suggested that concerns over Spec Point gain were being looked at, and (IIRC) means by which to improve Spec Point gain were already being worked on - has there been any further word on that recently?
The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg

Comments

• drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I thought the Spec Point reward boxes was their solution?
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Well, that thought had crossed my mind also... However, given that it was only 1 per week (per entire account) and they are not being awarded for re-running the latest Feature Episode (unless that's a bug), they're not going to address the problem...

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Bug, I got one just fine.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    imruined wrote: »

Well, that thought had crossed my mind also... However, given that it was only 1 per week (per entire account) and they are not being awarded for re-running the latest Feature Episode (unless that's a bug), they're not going to address the problem...

Yes, the practical impact is less than impressive. However I can see them saying "We looked at it, and added Spec Point Rewards. We be done".

I think they are happy with the current Spec Point/Play time ratio, and that a fig leaf like that suits them. Especially as it was one per account instead of per one (bound) per character, which is what they would have done to flatly improve metrics for there FE.

Just how it seems to me.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

Trendy said when House Pegh was delayed that the spec point reward box wasn't the solution. If anything, the solution could be coming at the same time as the Fleet Holding.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    Spec Point Problems?

All due respect to the Devs, them nerfing XP didn't help matters. DOFF XP hurt me personally. It was my primary source of XP, where prior to the nerf I use to level up a Spec point every 3 days, now it takes well over a week. And I suspect returning or casual players not enjoying having to "climb a mountain" when they returned to STO.

Let people level up how they want. After all, even in real marathons, you got people racing all the way to the finish line. And you got people just taking their time, slow jogging the race, enjoying life.

Trendy said when House Pegh was delayed that the spec point reward box wasn't the solution. If anything, the solution could be coming at the same time as the Fleet Holding.

Believe it when I see it. In the meantime it goes in with the reword of skills and the splitting of space and ground traits.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    I will never understand the hurry to get spec points, seriously... people will never understand that the whole purpose of this implementation is to have always something to look for in end-game, so you will be always trying to get the next spec point. But the current rate is just fine. Is so important to have just another spec point to keep adding to the tree? what you will do when you have all of em lol?
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    I will never understand the hurry to get spec points, seriously... people will never understand that the whole purpose of this implementation is to have always something to look for in end-game, so you will be always trying to get the next spec point. But the current rate is just fine. Is so important to have just another spec point to keep adding to the tree? what you will do when you have all of em lol?

Have time at last to work on an alt maybe.

Im not sure if i understand that sentence. What is it matter to "have time" to work on an alt with the spec points? that is my point. People keep worrying about how fast they can get em, you can just forget about it and keep playing the game, they will come. Sometimes i think people just dont enjoy this game anymore , so they need to find other ways to maintain the motivation.

Im not sure if i understand that sentence. What is it matter to "have time" to work on an alt with the spec points? that is my point. People keep worrying about how fast they can get em, you can just forget about it and keep playing the game, they will come. Sometimes i think people just dont enjoy this game anymore , so they need to find other ways to maintain the motivation.

I don't have endless time to play the game, and any time away from my main is time he's not earning spec points. So my solution is simple, I don't play my alts. And thus I don't spend any resources on them. They're basically dead.

That is the price of an unending grind for Mains. Not everyone likes it.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    personally i'd like to see spec points as an account unlock. Gain one for one character, its usable on every character on the account. Its still an epic journey to currently gain a single spec point so i can't see the harm in that idea. or even for every 3 spec points you earn on a single character it gives the rest of the account a free spec point.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I don't have endless time to play the game, and any time away from my main is time he's not earning spec points. So my solution is simple, I don't play my alts. And thus I don't spend any resources on them. They're basically dead.

That is the price of an unending grind for Mains. Not everyone likes it.

I haven't been neglecting my alts, but of course the consequence is that not one character has even come close to finishing a spec tree. I've been playing probably an average of a couple hours a day since DR, and not one spec tree is even close to finished.

All those fancy kit modules? Traits? Picking a different secondary/primary tree? Who cares? They may as well not exist. It is a really bad system to be so far out of reach for alts or to be borderline unusable if you don't completely neglect alts.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited June 2015

You misinterpret my reasons for this post...

I actually agree with you to an extent - though my main character's Spec Point acquisition has not been too bad, it has resulted in me spending far less time playing alts, due to the increasing time required to 'max' a character, that the ever moving character development goal posts of the Spec Point system is creating...

It wouldn't be quite so bad if, once locked into a certain tree, there was a way to respec so you're not having to grind another 15-30 points, if some new tree, which better suits your style of play, is introduced...

As an example, on my main character I have almost fully fleshed out Intel, have 15 points in Pilot (was full before the tree was expanded) and all but 2 in Commando (the remaining 2 are low priority and hardly worth the points)...

I wouldn't mind trying Command, but really don't like the idea of having to grind out another 25-30 points in order to really give it a good run, especially considering that at my current Spec Point rate - without forcing myself to play constantly - it would take me about 3 months to accrue enough points... The fact it would take 3 months at the current rate to fill out Command also makes me reluctant to spec an Alt into Command instead, as they will then need another 3 months (in addition to this) to get Pilot and Commando to the same level...

Though I tend to agree that my Spec Point gain to date has not been too bad (especially on my main character), I'm not going to refuse any increase in the rate at which I can earn Spec Points, as this will benefit every character I currently have, and any I may create in future, which is why I'm also curious about whether there has been any news - not simply because I'm having a whinge that it takes too long...

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    the weekly featured episodes give one per week now, that's a legit improvement

As long as they can keep new FE's rolling out, I agree. However, maybe an overall increase of 25% - 50% worldly, would be even nicer imo. But, I will take what I can get so, not really complaining here.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

imruined wrote: »
    It wouldn't be quite so bad if, once locked into a certain tree, there was a way to respec so you're not having to grind another 15-30 points, if some new tree, which better suits your style of play, is introduced...

Well, i agree in this. Cryptic said that there is no need for respect since you can always keep getting spec points, but at the slow rate you gain em, a respec token will be really handy just in case you decide to switch specializations. I mean, we dont have respecs then the rate should be faster, but if they intend to leave things as they are now, i guess respec tokens will be just the perfect solution. There is no need to make things go faster, because there is no sense on that. Precisely what cryptic wants is specialization points to go as slow as possible. And i honestly see that its just ok as it is, the only thing we need is a respec token, thats all.