test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum inboxes

so I'm seeing everyone's ban and warning tickets... boy oh boy some folks are on the warn list repeatedly. I suspect we all see each other's warns and bans and the like...

might wanna fix that...

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    I also see other people's emails to each other
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    I got quite a few that had no relation to myself personally, as well as responses from people, about posts I didn't even post to!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    yeah this might be something they wanna fix
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    yeah this might be something they wanna fix

But, but, but...it's about the only reason to put up with these forums! :D
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    i am seeing a lot of back and forth between some specific sto players in the notifications section of the profile.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    i am seeing a lot of back and forth between some specific sto players in the notifications section of the profile.

You're actually seeing their correspondence? Are you referring to posts on each other's walls, or seeing PM's that way as well as the breach the OP mentioned? (Which has been reported to PWE by the way. I've got the main thread for it in the Vanilla Migration Bug Reports section.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    it seems their PMs as that was where it started pre-merger
  • Options

The Warning Discussion...

...is the best discussion ever!
    ...and those that have gotten warnings love it!
  • Options

but are we breaking rules discussing in in a semi-private forum?

the mods can read it

• Options

the mods can read it

Have they posted the new universal rules for the forums yet? They were supposed to be working on that - trying to standardize things, since the various forums previously all kind of played loosey goosey with the various rules a bit. Speaking of which, that's not a forum post...it's a private message discussion. Only a select group of posters have access to that thread. :wink:
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    No, I have not seen the universal rules yet, but yes, they are supposed to be working on it.

My personal guess--though I can't prove it--given the formality of STO's rules compared to, say, PWI, I have a feeling it will be our rules with a few modifications that'll be enforced on the whole forum.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »
    No, I have not seen the universal rules yet, but yes, they are supposed to be working on it.

My personal guess--though I can't prove it--given the formality of STO's rules compared to, say, PWI, I have a feeling it will be our rules with a few modifications that'll be enforced on the whole forum.

I had kind of hoped that they were going to go with standardized stuff across the board and that any mod would be able to moderate across the board. Cause well, there's just gaps in coverage that could otherwise be covered by doing that sort of thing, eh? But hey, they haven't even turned the moderators into moderators yet, eh? Meh...
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    I had kind of hoped that they were going to go with standardized stuff across the board and that any mod would be able to moderate across the board. Cause well, there's just gaps in coverage that could otherwise be covered by doing that sort of thing, eh? But hey, they haven't even turned the moderators into moderators yet, eh? Meh...
    i think thats a terrible idea. the last thing i want is 20 mods looking for things to moderate and popping into the sto forum to flex their mod-muscles at people out of boredom or because their own forum is having a slow day.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User

the mods can read it

Here, on the forum, I wouldn't discuss moderation. That's a no-no and generally in poor form.

Now. The private message system is where that's done. You can see that by reading a warning if you ever get one. It just so happens that there's a rather large private discussion going on. But it's private. Invitation only. And as it only seems to include a certain subset of forum posters I feel that any discussion on that topic is perfectly valid as long as it remains inside that private message system.

Because then it is still private.

And we didn't start the discussion. Our Robotic Vanilla Overlords did. They put us together. 540 strangers wake up in a private discussion and have to find out what they all have in common or they can NEVER be free.

Horror story? Or real life? You decide. >:)

• Options
    Oh, oh, I want to know who's going to play me? I went and looked at actors born the same year as me, and it was kind of depressing...none of them were fugly enough to play me.
  • Options
    Looks like they finally got around to yanking the Inbox...heh.
  • Options
    Huh. Looks like our private discussion was deleted. I guess the software is being straightened out. Thank goodness for the trusty PDF.

And I'm not convinced there isn't an actor your age ugly enough to play you. I'm just not sure anyone that old is still in film.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

You're actually seeing their correspondence? Are you referring to posts on each other's walls, or seeing PM's that way as well as the breach the OP mentioned? (Which has been reported to PWE by the way. I've got the main thread for it in the Vanilla Migration Bug Reports section.)

do you really want me to post some of what i see in that notification section? i have no clue if its pm or stuff on others walls. there is no way to tell, all i know is that its come through on my notifications.

edit: scratch that.
  • Options
    thissler wrote: »
    Huh. Looks like our private discussion was deleted. I guess the software is being straightened out. Thank goodness for the trusty PDF.

And I'm not convinced there isn't an actor your age ugly enough to play you. I'm just not sure anyone that old is still in film.

Deleted? I have no access to the Inbox at all...

zGXrOWH.png

...the whole thing got yanked. I was typing a reply to somebody else in another discussion when I got the page does not exist.

And dayum, that's harsh...I'm only 43. Here are some folks from the same year I was born: http://www.imdb.com/search/name?birth_year=1972

• Options
    nope i just checked, vanulla forum for me is going very slowly, very slowly indeed. anyway i found out that the previous messages are still in my notifications should an example be needed.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    nope i just checked, vanulla forum for me is going very slowly, very slowly indeed. anyway i found out that the previous messages are still in my notifications should an example be needed.

Some of the messages will still be there in your Notifications, but if you try to go to any of the PM messages...don't you get the Page Not Found error page?

Meaning that even outside of the Warning discussion - any others where you may have been seeing stuff because of the same title being used, you would have seen messages from those discussions as well.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There's a whole lotta moaning and groaning going on in my INBOX...
    And it's kinda-sorta creepy cause even though I'm there..., I don't feel a thing!

It's like being at the Dentist with fingers in your mouth, but your full of Novocain!!
    And now Cryptic has pulled all those rotten teeth!!!
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    thats the silly thing i can see the whole message without needing to click on any link. i did press the "message" word in the notification and there is a 404. fine, just for example purpose, no names and guess if you like but i wont confirm anything either:
    This is essentially a private message. We're discussing the arbitrary and capricious nature of current moderation. If you'd like to join in please do so. If not that's okay as well.

a partial bit of one of the messages i can see which i should not at all. i apologize to the one i quoted from but i have to prove the validity of how serious it is these messages are also deleted. i just dont want to know nor am i looking to get that person in trouble for quoting it. lucky there is no context to it, so there is no way to be sure.

turns out running my own dianostics reveal its my end the connection issue. guess that answers that.
  • Options

Some of the messages will still be there in your Notifications, but if you try to go to any of the PM messages...don't you get the Page Not Found error page?

Meaning that even outside of the Warning discussion - any others where you may have been seeing stuff because of the same title being used, you would have seen messages from those discussions as well.

I can see our messages, just not any of the old archived stuff.

I think Dwayne could play your part.

Here pick one for me! http://www.imdb.com/search/name?birth_year=1965

• Options

That's in Notifications, yeah? But do you still have an Inbox? Does your thing look like my thing up there - where the Letter and Inbox links are gone?

Lol, the Rock? That's insulting to Mr. Johnson. Now if you'd said Jude Law...heh.

1965? Did they even have actors back then? But there you go!

Can have Robert Downey Jr. play you and have Jude Law play me.

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the missing inbox!
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58
    And we didn't start the discussion. Our Robotic Vanilla Overlords did. They put us together. 540 strangers wake up in a private discussion and have to find out what they all have in common or they can NEVER be free.

Remind me to write that story at some point.

So, quick response: This )(%@ was broken. It's still broken, but we've blocked off access to it: Everyone's had access to their inbox turned off. (This includes me, interestingly enough.)

Later on, we will be doing a purge of old messages, anything that was migrated from the old forums. There's a chance we'll be able to recover that data later on, and actually parse it out to people correctly, but I don't think that's too likely.

I think Notifications will still have logs of any messages you've gotten since the migration. This is still not great, but honestly, I have no idea whether we could even do anything about that.

Thanks everyone for pardoning our dust. Keep posting in conspicuous locations if you notice things like this, we'll be keeping an eye out.

-TrailTurtle
  • Options

Remind me to write that story at some point.

So, quick response: This )(%@ was broken. It's still broken, but we've blocked off access to it: Everyone's had access to their inbox turned off. (This includes me, interestingly enough.)

Later on, we will be doing a purge of old messages, anything that was migrated from the old forums. There's a chance we'll be able to recover that data later on, and actually parse it out to people correctly, but I don't think that's too likely.

I think Notifications will still have logs of any messages you've gotten since the migration. This is still not great, but honestly, I have no idea whether we could even do anything about that.

Thanks everyone for pardoning our dust. Keep posting in conspicuous locations if you notice things like this, we'll be keeping an eye out.

-TrailTurtle

would be great if mods, devs and community officers had different color names. it looks a little wierd having someone like yourself without that intimidating yellow or sky blue color name XD
  • Options

That's in Notifications, yeah? But do you still have an Inbox? Does your thing look like my thing up there - where the Letter and Inbox links are gone?

Lol, the Rock? That's insulting to Mr. Johnson. Now if you'd said Jude Law...heh.

1965? Did they even have actors back then? But there you go!

Can have Robert Downey Jr. play you and have Jude Law play me.

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the missing inbox!

Good choices!

And our things look alike. And I see Mr. Trail Turtle has solved the mystery for us.

• Options
    Have they updated that Role Title addon so that it might provide the functionality to help differentiate the mortals from the rest?
  • Options
    Have they updated that Role Title addon so that it might provide the functionality to help differentiate the mortals from the rest?

I don't know if I want to be separated from the common folk. I'm starting to like it down here.