test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Life Sub

alessialinaraalessialinara Member Posts: 16 Arc User
So.. they're doing a promotion on it

I'm a 'casual' ish player at the moment. I bought a Vengeance and am thinking of buying some Zen for a Presido or slowly saving for it.

Now the exclusives for lifer make me feel like.. well either I get this now. Or I just buy this 'one' T6 ship and fly it forever.

Thing is it takes ~3 years to pay off over just buying the zen and and like 6 months to be enough reward to buy a presidio?

It just seems like it's not automatically 'the best choice' to take the promotion since it's a very long term payoff and there's no guarantee you'll get another 3 years out of this game?

I mean I wish i'd grabbed it on release, no doubt cos it's a good MMO that has alot of potential if they can ever polish up the ground combat.

But playing with one strong ship type forevor.. for a much smaller investment seems plausible, even if you have to buy a T7 ship next year. You can save a few dilithium every month and be ready.

So what's the general thinking on it? Is the game healthy enough to last 3 more years or are the veteran ships a way to milk the last couple years as hard as they can?
Post edited by alessialinara on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What you are asking is what every player has to answer for themselves. When I purchased my LTS before the game Launched I had no way of knowing if the game would last 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, whatever. I had to take the risk. And you have to decide if you want to take the risk.

STO could easily last 5 more years, or it could fold tomorrow. There is no way of knowing. PW is still making money - they had $74 million New Income in 2014 - and they are certainly not going to close STO before the 50th Anniversary next year. So at the very least the game will be here for another 18 months to take advantage of the Anniversary. Plus the license does not come up for renewal until 2018, so no matter what I would say that between the Anniversary and license renewal the game will last until 2018.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I had this same question last year.

Ultimately I decided not to buy a LTS. $200 is a rather large single purchase. Sure, if I play long enough I will receive $200 worth of Zen from the monthly stipend. The problem is I do not know how long I will be interested in playing STO. I recently came back from a 5 week break and once Fallout 4 comes out I maybe taking a break from STO for several months. Though I will likely log in long enough to get the free event ships.

When Fallout 3 and Skyrim came out I basically played those games exclusively for over 12 months. Assuming Fallout 4 is released on 10/23/2015 (the bombs fell on 10/23/2077 in the game), then I will likely not get back to playing STO beyond getting the free event ships until October 2016.