test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Farscape or Babylon 5, what would be the better MMO to make?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Knowing what you do about each show, would you like to see them made into a MMO?

But the catch is, you can only pick one to be made.

So which one would you pick to be the next great MMO?

The Farscape MMo would pick up after the Peace Keepers Wars.

Babylon 5 MMO would pick up after the canceled Excalibur show.

So lets here it? Give some Pros and Cons too if you like. :D
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Babylon 5. No doubt about it.

Several factions with distinct personalities and realistic weaponry.

Farscape always seemed a bit out there. Not a solid basis for an MMO
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Agreed, Babylon 5 :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Easily Babylon 5.

The station should be "bigger" than ESD in terms of game functionality.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Babylon 5.

You have the Earth Alliance, Minbari, Rangers, Centauri, Narn, League and Drakh all already there, as well as a rich backstory and diverse universe. Couple that with the modular nature of many of the designs, and you have a strong basis for a Sci-Fi MMO.
  • onehalfklingononehalfklingon Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Trick question. Sliders.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    B5, fo sho.

I want to fly a White Star. :( And a Starfury.

And, the Excalibur... but, just for the main gun. :D

Could you imagine? Vorlon Lockbox, Shadow Lockbox, Drakh Lockbox... :P
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    B5

I would have a hard time deciding which race to choose. I love the Narn and Centauri ships. The Minbari caste system would be interesting. Hmm I think I would go Centauri.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'd pick Babylon 5 every day of the week. Mostly because we just don't know enough about the Farscape universe with which to create a game. Making things up offers a certain freedom, but it's a double-edged sword in my opinion.

- B5 can be a series of system maps with jump gate transitions a la Freelancer.

- Farscape, do we really know how any ships other than Leviathans do FTL?

- B5 has a vast canon timeline available from which to draw from. One could reasonably set a B5 MMO during the telepath war, paying only as a human trader/mercenary. Then other species may be added in later expansions.

- Farscape, do we really know anything that happens or why any political events would even happen? Wouldn't we just have STO war for pew pew's sake all over again?

- Both have a good amount of actors to do voice work.

- Both probably have about the same number of fans.

My issue would just be the clear directon B5 would give. We've all seen from this game that Devs aren't necessarily good writers. A game that takes story and as many other choices as possible will be best in my opinion.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I would probably be more inclined to play in a Farscape MMO then a B5. Farscape, much like Firefly, would feel more open-ended, with more of a rogue travelling the galaxy getting into trouble feel to it. B5 would feel more political, with stories driven more toward specific purposes within all the rival species/empires/factions.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Farscape would make a better story-driven RPG, as it has just a fantastic universe. However, with the way MMOs are structured (the questing, the combat, the factions, etc), B5 would work a lot better for that kind of game.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Babylon 5...
  • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Pretty hard choice, but just like the many others I would also choose B5.

It is greater and more developed universe with variety of interesting races. Ok, Farscape got interesting races too, but we see them presented mostly as individuals.

There are much more different vessels to choose from too and well established technology on board them. Well, at least more than Farscape.

Now, it is true, that individually I prefer characters from Farscape (unlike to the most people, Sikozu is my favorite character :D), but B5 has some pretty strong characters and interesting characters too.

Now let's see how would I set up the B5 galaxy in mentioned mmo game:

I would most likely pick the period somewhere after or even during the Earth plague (Crusade).

There would be several major factions like: Earth Alliance, Minbari Federation, Centauri Republic, Narn Regime, Vorlon Empire, Shadow realm, Drakh and Non-aligned worlds.
    So the players could choose from those 8 factions and any tipe of career they want. For example they could be explorers, pirates, Earthforce officers, Rangers, PSI corps, Shadow servants, engineers, Minbari religious caste...absolutely anything possible.
    Aside from those available factions/races, players could also create their own aliens and even factions as well. So yeah, in theory they could even create themselves Thirdspace alien characters and their ships which would be very cool :cool:

Ships would be free of charge and would range from fighters (like Starfuries), freighters, passenger liners, explorer ships, battlecruisers..., all the way to Vorlon planet killers :D

Now the storylines could be different, but there would be a major one in which all the races are allying themselves together against Thirdspace aliens who want to destroy everything.
    Yes, they would manage somehow to reopen the gateway and do a mass assault on everyone :D

Well, I guess that covers pretty much everything...so now I can await to see how you like the idea?
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    B5, fo sho.

I want to fly a White Star. :( And a Starfury.

And, the Excalibur... but, just for the main gun. :D

Could you imagine? Vorlon Lockbox, Shadow Lockbox, Drakh Lockbox... :P

Nah, the majesty of the omega class
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      edited June 2015
      Nah, the majesty of the omega class

Both of you would look miserable compared to my Thirdspace battlecruiser :cool:
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
      edited June 2015

Naturally balanced for gameplay purposes of course. You know how much it took to kill the "Fighters"? I think they said it took 5 hits from a White Star just for them to notice they were getting shot because of the shields. And the gate itself was dang near invulnerable until Sherridan planted a nuke on a power core. Chain reaction blast.

Anyways... I also agree with everyone. Babylon 5 would make a great setting for an MMO. Plenty of lore to draw from, plenty of tech already established... the possibilities are endless.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I think Farscape would work better. It seems the best place for an intrepid adventurer.

Babylon 5 seems you would immediately need to belong to one of the factions or would have little chance of "adventuring". B5 didn't seem like the setting for some stranger could come along and help solve a murder mystery on a station and the next day try to smuggle some goods and the day after do some bounty hunting.

B5 might be better as a story RPG, with an elaborate plot.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      edited June 2015
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Naturally balanced for gameplay purposes of course. You know how much it took to kill the "Fighters"? I think they said it took 5 hits from a White Star just for them to notice they were getting shot because of the shields. And the gate itself was dang near invulnerable until Sherridan planted a nuke on a power core. Chain reaction blast.

Yeah, it is true, that Thirdspacers have the most powerful ships in B5 Universe (unfortunately we never had opportunity to see firepower of their capital ships), but as the game would develop it would be easy to implement shields for other ships as well. Especially with having such major threat like Thirdspace aliens. I'm sure that every race would work hard to develop shield tech rather than being wiped out from the map :D And it was 4 hits from White Star I think. It would probably take at least as twice than that against TS capital ships.
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
    • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
      edited June 2015

Which you'd get after purchasing thousands of Techno-mage Crafting Packs, right? :D
      d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
      edited June 2015
      mhall85 wrote: »
      Which you'd get after purchasing thousands of Techno-mage Crafting Packs, right? :D

LOL no, my B5 mmo would be free to play in a right sense of those words. The only thing you would have to pay for would be some extra cosmetic stuff and non-canon stuff, but at a fair prices so that the most of people could easily get what they want. Also, there would be no need for HC grinding as costs would be reasonable.
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
    • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      sovereign47 I like how you think, now if we could find someone to help get this project going. Even Kickstarter it. Just saying. :D
      edited June 2015
      hawkwing43 wrote: »
      sovereign47 I like how you think, now if we could find someone to help get this project going. Even Kickstarter it. Just saying. :D

Yes, that would be great indeed :D Sure, it would be a lot of work, but it would be worth it.
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
    • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Farscape, just because... Muppets in space, behaving badly.
      Totally worth the playtime.
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      cptjhunter wrote: »
      Farscape, just because... Muppets in space, behaving badly.
      Totally worth the playtime.

Imagine the fun of playing a Hynerian...
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.