test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Life Time Membership Sale!

2»

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What's the point of the LTS anymore since it's a F2P game?

- Free ship? Meh. I have tons of ships
    - Playable Talaxians? Meh. I'll never bother to get him/her to 60.
    - Special costumes with gold shoulders? Meh.
    - Includes costumes that otherwise cost $5? Meh.
    - 500 zen stipend per month? Meh. It would take 3+ years to get $200 worth of zen.
    - "Captain's Table for LTS Captains." Really? Does anyone even go there?

Short of offering something insane like a new playable Cardassian faction, I would never buy the LTS.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I bought the LTS for Champions shortly after the company that shall not be named axed City.

I do not regret that purchase one bit.

Extra slots over even what a monthly sub would give.

Additional slots when hitting max level.

Permanent access to free forms.

Access to all ATs*.

It's alt friendly so you actually want to make new heroes (like pre-Incarnate City).

So CO's LTS still has a point even in F2P.

STO's, especially with DR and it's amazingly expensive upgrade grind, doesn't give you much other than the ships and for some, the ship is the character so other than a "free" trait the ships only have so much use.

*non-awakened, awakened need a level 40 to unlock but doesn't need gold status
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015

- Free ship? Meh. I have tons of ships
    - Playable Talaxians? Meh. I'll never bother to get him/her to 60.
    - Special costumes with gold shoulders? Meh.
    - Includes costumes that otherwise cost $5? Meh.
    - 500 zen stipend per month? Meh. It would take 3+ years to get $200 worth of zen.
    - "Captain's Table for LTS Captains." Really? Does anyone even go there?

Short of offering something insane like a new playable Cardassian faction, I would never buy the LTS.
    Also includes Liberated Borg playable species. Free Respec token at each Rank increase. Account Bank access. Access to all Vet Rewards at Level 5. No EC limits. Priority access in login queues, etc.

In general these are not bad things. If someone is going to drop $120.00 on 9 Pilot ships - or whatever group of ships - then $200.00 for an LTS is not an unreasonable expenditure. I mean we are taking about a game where people are flying around in $200.00 single-character Lobi ships. The value of the money is only relative to the individual spending it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    How is that a better idea for Cryptic? Those monthly gold players paid $510 bucks to get vet rewards they could have gotten for only $200, then continued to pay an additional $450 dollars for $150 bucks in monthly Zen stipend.

If they were foolish enough to pay $15 bucks for $5 bucks of Zen for an additional 30 months after they unlocked all the vet rewards, they'll keep paying for a worthless sub it right up until the game shuts down.

If they want the LTS perks they can pay for it like everyone else. What they were paying monthly for was the vet rewards.

STO has gone Free-To-Play. Has been that way for some time now. Coughing up a lifetime membership for something at the start that no one knows for sure will actually sustain itself is a little nuts. That "LifeTime" tends to be the lifetime of the games existence and availability to access, not the lifetime of the person playing it. It's been 50 years since Star Trek first came into being. Many of us here are here precisely because of that first showing 50 years ago. In fact, that 50 year anniversary will be in June of next year.

At some point, just like the various series before this, all good things come to a close. There was no way to know how far and how long this effort would go nor last. In fact, they could have done a far more indepth effort into this and made it a many decade running series if they had so chosen to do so. Many people have commented on all of the missed opportunities for filling in the blanks. So far I've seen nothing that suggests there's a respectable amount of content to be added, story lines, epic events, or the like past the Iconian war. As such there is nothing to motivate purchase of LifeTime membership because this has for the last five years been the same issue of questioning for how long is a "LifeTime" and is it worth it.

To make a long story short, your post is easy to make from the perspective of 20/20 hindsight, but it says nothing for the future.
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Agreed, and sound advice.

Actually, this thread could probably be closed, since the original post basically pointed out a typo in a Dev Blog, which was corrected, so...

Nothing else to talk about here. :)

Now you wait just a doggone minute! I was enjoying how this took off from me merely having some fun with a flubbed date and now you want to go and ruin it?

Nice guy!
    :D

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I decided to get lifetime to show faith, hope, and support for the game. Would I still do it today? Yes. I don't agree with the new business model, but I want the game to be open as long as possible.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I decided to get lifetime to show faith, hope, and support for the game. Would I still do it today? Yes. I don't agree with the new business model, but I want the game to be open as long as possible.

I like to support games that I play.

I cannot support the model put in place with DR. I want STO to remain open but I don't want to reward them for what they've done with this expansion.

I shouldn't feel the need to tell people to treat it like a normal console game and just play it once through and ignore all the queues, reps, and upgrade grinds to enjoy it.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I like to support games that I play.

I cannot support the model put in place with DR. I want STO to remain open but I don't want to reward them for what they've done with this expansion.

I shouldn't feel the need to tell people to treat it like a normal console game and just play it once through and ignore all the queues, reps, and upgrade grinds to enjoy it.

Yeah, I understand that. I was very disappointed for a very long time after DR. A few months ago I decided to just let it go and enjoy what there is to enjoy. For me, it is such a treat to be able to visit the Star Trek universe, in the same way that I feel about lotro. Every time I ride over the Water in Hobbiton I/m blown away that I get to do this.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I understand that. I was very disappointed for a very long time after DR. A few months ago I decided to just let it go and enjoy what there is to enjoy. For me, it is such a treat to be able to visit the Star Trek universe, in the same way that I feel about lotro. Every time I ride over the Water in Hobbiton I/m blown away that I get to do this.

I`m glad you see the light and learned the benefit of just doing your own thing.

from day one of DR I played the game just as I have always played it, doing the things I enjoy the most and having fun.
    I didn't even step foot in the delta quadrant until I was lv60 although that was only about 6 weeks after the update that I reached that level on my then 3 characters.
    I also confess that I have yet to even finish the story missions with any of them but other things keep coming up that I want to do first, I`ll get there eventually.

IMHO theres still a lot of life left in sto and I have never regretted buying a lifetime sub, sure the game could have folded a week after my purchase but that's just a chance you take, if you believe the game is going to last at least another year probably longer then you cant go far wrong with a LTS, especially now they have added the 3 T6 ships to the package, theres almost half your sub costs in value right there before you take in to account the rest of the items you get.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Last year I contemplated about purchasing a LTS when it was on sale, but I ended up not doing so because I simply do not know how long I will be playing STO for. Instead I simply decided to support the game by buying Zen when I want something from the C-Store.

I recently took a break from STO for about 5 weeks just to replay Morrowind with some mods to upgrade the graphics. When Fallout 4 gets released I will likely stop playing STO or at least greatly reduce the amount time I will be devoting to STO for a long period of time.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Tempting but after a year of f2p ... few lvl60 toons and spending rl money partly mitigated by dil farming 200 bucks is too much for me. Sto graphics wise is already old gen lots of new options scifi wise coming up. Perhaps an in house kickstarter campaign to upgrade the game engine along with lts may have more traction 100 bucks engine uprade project 100 bucks lts.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif