test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you lost everything you own -- What would you do next ?

taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
If you lost everything you own in bankruptcy or by other means...natural disaster, stock crashes, etc etc etc....

What would you do next ?
[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
Post edited by taylor1701d on

Comments

• robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What a cheerful thread you made.

Anyway I would probably die like a stray dog on the street, I guess.
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Come move into your place, and eat your food. lol JK

Really, just pickup what I can, and move forward.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I would go back to work and make it all back again. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I would go back to work and make it all back again. :)

^Pretty much that, through the first thing I'd do would be to check the status of loved ones. As long as I still had my license to practice I'd continue in my current job, if not I'd go work a fast food job if I had to. Natural disaster, I'd make an insurance claim first.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ummm.... suicide perhaps?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Historically what happened was I scraped together enough to buy a tent and a vehicle (which worked most of the time, anyway), and we went to an unofficial campsite up in the mountains. I signed up for state assistance, which came with leads for jobs; most of them sucked, and the pay was poor, but I was able to feed my family, which was the important part. Eventually a relative was able to help us get out of there and put us up for a while, which enabled me to get a better job.

Yeah, being homeless sucks, but if you're not stuck in a big city it's easier to work your way out of it (services in major cities seem to be aimed at keeping you right there on the bottom where you're easier to see).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'd craft myself a bow and arrow since my origional is apparently gone, and become a mountain man in the Sierra Nevadas.
    From there I'd make a shelter, hunt deer and make stone tools until I have enough materials to build a cabin..
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    Come move into your place, and eat your food. lol JK

Really, just pickup what I can, and move forward.

You would be welcome Mr hawkwing. :)

No seriously though, the question is a little dark...
    But I'm about to start a business and tbh it scares the $%&# out of me.
    (Getting into Drone surveying/mapping GIS)

Just wanted to see what others would do if the worst should happen.

I see there's some fighters in here, that is inspiring.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I would steal other peoples stuff.

I've always enjoyed GIS work. We've got some drones in the department for surveying, GPR and whatnot.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    (services in major cities seem to be aimed at keeping you right there on the bottom where you're easier to see).

Agreed. And people wonder why I have zero interest in spending the rest of my life in northern Virginia (or anywhere in the DC area for that matter)? If I had the means to move somewhere else (and had a job waiting for me), I'd leave. In the DC area, either you're rich and get richer, or (like me) you're poor and get poorer. There isn't much in between anymore.
  • peter109peter109 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    think positive, from someone who has run a business for 7 years, you need to work hard, not over price, and be there for the customer, don't turn anything down, and be willing to do anything to start with.

you will succeed if you try hard.

regards.

ps it is easier not to loose a lot if you don't have a lot to loose in the first place, live a simple life and your needs will be low and you should be able to focus more on your company, but never forget those close to you, no matter what you loose they will be there for you, if you loose them, then it won't matter how successful you are you will have lost everything that matters anyway.:o
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You would be welcome Mr hawkwing. :)

No seriously though, the question is a little dark...

Just wanted to see what others would do if the worst should happen.

I see there's some fighters in here, that is inspiring.

If the field I was opening the business in happened to be high-risk, I'd incorporate all business activities within an S-Corp as a liability shield; assuming it's a sole proprietorship, and one actually keeps records like a real business owner, there shouldn't be a lot of extra sorting out to do that. Better to lose everything the business owns (if things go pear-shaped) than to lose everything yourself, right? Just be prepared for increased costs on the paperwork end of things, something you might want to evaluate ahead of time... think of it as pseudo-insurance and it becomes more acceptable.

Then again, this is a global game and that might not be an option wherever you are...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    peter109 wrote: »
    think positive, from someone who has run a business for 7 years, you need to work hard, not over price, and be there for the customer, don't turn anything down, and be willing to do anything to start with.

you will succeed if you try hard.

regards.

ps it is easier not to loose a lot if you don't have a lot to loose in the first place, live a simple life and your needs will be low and you should be able to focus more on your company, but never forget those close to you, no matter what you loose they will be there for you, if you loose them, then it won't matter how successful you are you will have lost everything that matters anyway.:o

Not necessarily. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you will be successful. To be successful, you need hard work, skill, will, luck, and ambition. There are tons of people that fail at a business because even though they put their sweat, blood, and tears into their business, they are missing some component like skill or luck.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    Haven't lost the shirt off my back, but I've twice had periods of really bad luck, ending in my being without a home. Each time, a relative has taken me in, giving me a chance to get back on my feet. A close friend offered the same. I got out each time by taking jobs I'd previously never considered. Neither was huge in money, but each stabilized me enough to get me to where I could move to a better job.

I suppose had I not a family nor a friend, I'd reach out to one of the charitable organization in the city. I've known workers at a couple of them, and they seem decent folk. Some even have programs helping folks who've lost it all to get back on their feet.