test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bailing On Advanced Queues: Why?

berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
OK, I've seen this happen a few times, especially in Gateway Advanced. It becomes apparent that, due to one or more players, not all the optionals will be met, so one player leaves and usually another follows.

This turns "not gonna get all the optionals" into "can three players, at least one of which has (in the quitters' eyes anyway) already demonstrated sub-par performance, put out enough DPS to take down the boss ship (designed with a team of 5 in mind) before it heals itself amidst all the probe spam?" Half the time, the answer is "Yes", and sometimes in enough time that we, the remaining players, were back playing again after our 20 minute cool down before the quitters finished their one hour leavers' penalty.

Knowing that we'd be done even quicker (and more easily) if the quitters hadn't quit, I have to wonder, why quit? If they stayed and fought, they'd be back fighting again more quickly than waiting for the hour long leavers' penalty and have some marks to show for it. If it is a matter of "needing perfection" what are they doing in a PUG in the first place?

Personally, I try to stick it out, pass on what advice I can, and hope we can take the dreadnaught at the end. I've made some friends this way, actually. Honestly, I'd rather play with those players who stuck it out and won with me rather than the gurks who quit on us.

So, again, the question is:

Why quit and get no marks and a hour long cool down, when you could stay, get marks and a 20 minute cool down?
"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They switch to another character and do a queue. :rolleyes:
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    They switch to another character and do a queue. :rolleyes:

OK, but why not stay and get the marks?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    not getting CD's after leaving.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    Why quit and get no marks and a hour long cool down, when you could stay, get marks and a 20 minute cool down?

Um...
    scarling wrote: »
    not getting CD's after leaving.

... this. ^^^

If you quit before failing, no cooldown is applied. You can re-queue immediately.

It's a lame move, but it was something I started doing (sadly) in BDA... until I stopped playing BDA altogether.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They are stupid.

Every time I've seen that in GGA nothing was actually going to stop the original team from completing it.

I wish the leaver penalty was more severe because there is no reason to leave a GGA queue. Although there really needs to be a vote: quit so everyone can leave and no one gets a cooldown or leaver penalty, especially for those times when 2 idiots already left so the last 3 are left with the choice.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Um...

... this. ^^^

If you quit before failing, no cooldown is applied. You can re-queue immediately.

It's a lame move, but it was something I started doing (sadly) in BDA... until I stopped playing BDA altogether.

I had to today in GGA. 3 people in the team killing the middle mobs, and not the attacking mobs at the bases while letting the timer count down. I just couldnt stay for that. Teamed up with a successful group afterwards. Was well worth it.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Um...

... this. ^^^

It depends, leaving early can easily net you a leavers penalty instead.

You normally have to be in mission, for roughly 15mins., before bailing.

Otherwise, you can be easily handed the leavers penalty!!!

Also, to the OP, what sometimes appears like people bailing, can be actually people being DC'd.

Of course, you can usually tell the difference, when this occurs vs them actually bailing!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    in 'gates', i will generally see it through if we have gotten as far as the second stage.
    however, if i see anybody heading from the initial spawn toward the non-objective mobs in the asteroids rather than moving toward the shipyard or whatnot, i will bail right then and there.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Also, to the OP, what sometimes appears like people bailing, can be actually people being DC'd.

Of course, you can usually tell the difference, when this occurs vs them actually bailing!
    I am familiar with DCing. Typically, if I DC from a queue, I am put back into it when I rejoin, these are players that never return.
    skollulfr wrote: »
    you can get marks effectivly, or you can slog & struggle through just to get no reward for almost soloing an event.
    either way, you will not be rewarded for the extra effort, and are likely to be punished for it if a noob blows a fail condition.

What fail conditions? GGA has NO fail conditions. Period.

To those who quit: how do you expect the problem of people going after the wrong ships if you quit without offering any feedback to the offending player?

Also, it seems to me the only way to see if someone is attacking the wrong ships is to either be at the wrong ships, or looking at the map. In my experience, it is very hard to tell the difference between a player and a hangar pet on the map. Are you sure you aren't quitting over a wayward shuttle?

Regardless, you are basically TRIBBLE over anyone who tries to help the newb player. Again, I'd rather have a team of newbs rather than some PITA player who's gonna quit at the drop off a hat. If you can't stand to miss an optional objective, stay the heck out of the PUG queues.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    To those who quit: how do you expect the problem of people going after the wrong ships if you quit without offering any feedback to the offending player?

Also, it seems to me the only way to see if someone is attacking the wrong ships is to either be at the wrong ships, or looking at the map. In my experience, it is very hard to tell the difference between a player and a hangar pet on the map. Are you sure you aren't quitting over a wayward shuttle?

Regardless, you are basically TRIBBLE over anyone who tries to help the newb player. Again, I'd rather have a team of newbs rather than some PITA player who's gonna quit at the drop off a hat. If you can't stand to miss an optional objective, stay the heck out of the PUG queues.

i know where the other players are because i keep track of how many people are at each of the two objectives. i try to be part of the 2 man team rather than the 3 man team. so i am always watching how many people head to each side.

i dont bother offering feedback anymore because i have learnt that people just dont listen to any constructive feedback. i think the majority dont even have the chat window open.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    OK, I've seen this happen a few times, especially in Gateway Advanced.

in this stf, the optionals are not very important. the more you save the landing ships the more you will earn marks. 100 marks for 46 ships saved, and for this run, we were only 3. so personally, i don't care about the players who leave this stf. after all, this is their s..... decision
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am familiar with DCing. Typically, if I DC from a queue, I am put back into it when I rejoin, these are players that never return.

As a player who gets frequently DC'd logging back into the same queue seems to have become rare since a couple of updates ago. It used to be I could log back into the same group of players if I log back in fast enough. This no longer holds true. Even if I log in within 30 seconds of being dc'd, sometimes I'd land into another instance. It is all very random now.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    i know where the other players are because i keep track of how many people are at each of the two objectives. i try to be part of the 2 man team rather than the 3 man team. so i am always watching how many people head to each side.
    So, are you looking at the map to keep track, or visually scanning? Because one is inaccurate and the other is inefficient since you should be paying attention to what you should be doing.
    i dont bother offering feedback anymore because i have learnt that people just dont listen to any constructive feedback. i think the majority dont even have the chat window open.
    Funny, I've had good results in offering feedback. On the other hand, I've also seen players "offer" some pretty bad advice or just be downright rude to the player who needs the advice. They were promptly ignored, and rightly so. Is your tone helpful when you are ignored?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So, are you looking at the map to keep track, or visually scanning? Because one is inaccurate and the other is inefficient since you should be paying attention to what you should be doing.
    Funny, I've had good results in offering feedback. On the other hand, I've also seen players "offer" some pretty bad advice or just be downright rude to the player who needs the advice. They were promptly ignored, and rightly so. Is your tone helpful when you are ignored?

i watch the ships as the leave spawn. i dont need to pay attention to much else when leaving the spawn. i didnt start playing sto yesterday.

my tone was helpful in the past. these days i dont bother trying to help.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It's easy to tell where people are. And as others, too many times trying to offer direction just to be completely ignored.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    OK, I've seen this happen a few times, especially in Gateway Advanced. It becomes apparent that, due to one or more players, not all the optionals will be met, so one player leaves and usually another follows.

This turns "not gonna get all the optionals" into "can three players, at least one of which has (in the quitters' eyes anyway) already demonstrated sub-par performance, put out enough DPS to take down the boss ship (designed with a team of 5 in mind) before it heals itself amidst all the probe spam?" Half the time, the answer is "Yes", and sometimes in enough time that we, the remaining players, were back playing again after our 20 minute cool down before the quitters finished their one hour leavers' penalty.

Knowing that we'd be done even quicker (and more easily) if the quitters hadn't quit, I have to wonder, why quit? If they stayed and fought, they'd be back fighting again more quickly than waiting for the hour long leavers' penalty and have some marks to show for it. If it is a matter of "needing perfection" what are they doing in a PUG in the first place?

Personally, I try to stick it out, pass on what advice I can, and hope we can take the dreadnaught at the end. I've made some friends this way, actually. Honestly, I'd rather play with those players who stuck it out and won with me rather than the gurks who quit on us.

So, again, the question is:

Speaking strictly for myself, I have left and do leave advanced ques. However, I only do so when at least one person has already bailed(if not 2) and if, after that one or two people left, we are just getting our butts handed to us and we all are just dying. The reason is, I've found I don't get a leaver penalty if I bail after other have already left. This allows me to que up to another group rather than maybe completing/failing the que and having to wait a half hour. Is it dirty pool? Probably, but my time is precious and I don't have time to fail a que because some other bozo quit and ruined any chance that those of us that remained.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'll bail on an Advanced Queue when it looks like there's enough idiots that don't know what they're doing and ruining the run, despite instructions in zone chat trying to correct them.

Gates to Grethor Advanced is my favorite these days. Guys running off immediately to the center or to the asteroids to fight the Heralds there, despite warnings that they have nothing to do with the objectives and will set us back in the bonus timers. Even when I try to correct them, 19 times out of 20, the fools will keep blazing away at stuff that doesn't matter.

Next favorite part of that mission is the Transports. Despite my warnings that you literally get nothing from killing Heralds but we need to shutdown Radiation Gates and save the Transports... There's still plenty of guys that go Berzerk mode on the Heralds "looking for XPs" and letting the Radiation Gates go untouched and letting the Transports blow up.

You can recognize very early if you have one of those bad groups. I can deal with carrying more of the load than I need to to accommodate a player that simply doesn't know or isn't good. That's fine.

But when the retardedness is widespread, I have no time to waste. I have not time to waste on a group/instance that's going to get **** for rewards. I have no time to get TRIBBLE rewards and see the queue go into its usual CD.

I'll leave and get into another decent group. Oh, and leaving does not incur a Leaver's Penalty.

Before, I recall some players say in zone/team chat asking if the team knew what it was doing. I considered that a damn insult. But after seeing how a good number of people are, I then understood why they had to ask something so dumb.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    the game should be teaching people how ro read objectives from teh environment from mission one.
    that is elementary to communicating game mechanics.
    sto fails this hard.

Just wanted to say I agree with this and the rest of your post spot-on. It is unfortunate so many MMO players can be so hostile or oblivious or both as to make attempts to provide assistance back-fire, or in many cases make pugs altogether not worth the hassle.

Cryptic really needs to make episode missions much more difficult in the sense of testing basic skills such as 'mark target x before engaging target y in z amount of time' or 'prevent x from reaching y' or 'identify and tag x in a large group of y' and not allow progress to advanced STFs until some of these non-optional episode missions are accomplished in single-player mode.

Such single-player episode missions should also contain a very large combination of objective requirements that cycle randomly on each attempt so one cannot simply guess it by chance.

This way, when players enter a brand new STF, they'll have the basic skills to at least try, and if as a group it was a failure, that's okay, it's an honest mission failure which comes with the challenge and part of the fun of succeeding. Instead, it's wave after wave of those that destroy any team dynamic with respect to the mission objectives, and cause a completely unnecessary and avoidable failure, leaving true team mates frustrated and at a loss to do anything about it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Sometimes you just keep getting DCd.

Or a DC is enough to convince you to head off to find some other leisure activity.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle