What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forum Mods - what gives you the right?

2»

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    But in this case, since the topic we don't particularly like has been closed multiple times by Mods telling people to knock it off, then how about OP and those involved stop making new idiotic threads and listen to the mods instead of filling General Discussion with more whinging?

I don't disagree. However, if you are going to quote someone's statement and make a reply, you should reply to what they actually said, not what they didn't say.
    Thanks for your constant input in every thread, though!

I would say "you're welcome", but I don't reply to 99% of the threads posted on this forum, so I can't take credit for something I haven't done.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    But in this case, since the topic we don't particularly like has been closed multiple times by Mods telling people to knock it off, then how about OP and those involved stop making new idiotic threads and listen to the mods instead of filling General Discussion with more whinging?

Thanks for your constant input in every thread, though!

Those involved have not been posting on the forums since the threads in the PvE second got locked.

However someone not involved reposted a thread from reddit.

To clear when i say "involved" and "not involved", i'm talking about the channel admins. to be honest there are really 7500 people involved.
  • zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    And being the OP... that two-post thread shouldn't have been as it wasn't directly about the drama,

The two post thread that was started by @omega..... , was the first public response from the DPS-metals side, and it included his personal opinion as to why team-metals consider themselves the 'true DPS league' , as well as his thoughts on the events as well as his ownership & future use of the league's CLR parser that many use in the game .
    Until that point all that was published were the thoughts of team-numbers .

since I am not involved and have never been. And I am still experiencing the problem mentioned in that post, which I am now unlikely to ever get an answer for as the thread got locked down.

This makes me think that you may be talking of some other thread, as I don't understand the relevance / problem you're talking about .
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Exactly, thanks for the help. Moderation shouldn't be about topics people don't like, but decorum and respect.
    No, moderation is about the forum owners enforcing their right to allow what they want on their forum and censuring what they don't want on their forum.

Since you guys are *now* talking about the same thing:

Yes, forum owners can set whatever rules they want. They can say you can't use colored text, if they wanted to. And yes, they can declare certain topis off limits, and have already done so. It's their forum, so it's their rules. Whether you agree with those rules or not is irrelevant.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm not denying that it sucks for the cooler headed players but it's always the bad apples that spoil things for everyone else.

Heh, just as I was heading out, I was hit by this supreme irony :

When the two Foundry debacles happened (rage against the clicky missions and later the EC farmers) , the essence of that rage was that these missions were popular, so other "more worthy" missions did not make it to "the top" (number of plays) .

The DPS debacle ensued after certain player(s) felt threatened by the split of the DPS table, because then their achieved (recluse padded) numbers would not be counted on the top .

So essentially , both groups , Foundry authors & DPS wizards were upset about ... numbers on the top !
    It's no surprise really that both angry groups ended up hurting / inconveniencing a lot of players .

And ppl say that we're not a unified community ... , with the same concerns & problems ... . :D
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    zobovor wrote: »
    the same concerns & problems

Narcissism is a fairly prevalent issue with the STO community. I should know, I'm the most narcissistic player there is and ever will be.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hopefully this very public meltdown will get some people back in the public channels instead of the ego fights and overly-competitive nature of all this nonsense. Put players in a hierarchy where people have power or rank over each other and it just breeds this kind of stupidity. Ugh.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The people that left the public channels to join these channels did so because of low quality teammates being liabilities. Unless that changes, those people won't be going back.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hopefully this very public meltdown will get some people back in the public channels instead of the ego fights and overly-competitive nature of all this nonsense. Put players in a hierarchy where people have power or rank over each other and it just breeds this kind of stupidity. Ugh.
    "People are okay taken two or three at a time. More than that and they start to choose up sides and wear armbands." - George Carlin, Brain Droppings
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hmm, please apply this to any government. As it's more than accurate. Oddly the only issue was someone's ego rather than the competitive element which is necessary for all of us in one way or another.
    jonsills wrote: »
    "People are okay taken two or three at a time. More than that and they start to choose up sides and wear armbands." - George Carlin, Brain Droppings
    Too true.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • bluethirdworldbluethirdworld Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, forum owners can set whatever rules they want. They can say you can't use colored text, if they wanted to. And yes, they can declare certain topis off limits, and have already done so. It's their forum, so it's their rules. Whether you agree with those rules or not is irrelevant.

Exactly. Blindly shutting down all threads on a certain topic completely removes the utility of these forms, and I think their actions are harmful to the community. They can do what they want, but they'll reap the consequences and people will go elsewhere.
  • bluethirdworldbluethirdworld Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2015

If you think all the DPS channels are simply about ranking others and establishing hierarchies then it shows you haven't been around them much.

Come join and see what's up. Sure, some people can be jerks about your build and playstyle (but not very often), and since are competitive (esp.when you get into high numbers) but as long as you don't hold people back and do some good team work you'll be fine.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Exactly. Blindly shutting down all threads on a certain topic completely removes the utility of these forms, and I think their actions are harmful to the community. They can do what they want, but they'll reap the consequences and people will go elsewhere.

thats not for you, me or anyone to debate save for those who enforce the rules and make them, consequences or no, its their choice and the rest of us merely suffer the conseqnces that we chose to accept the first time we played the game and registered on the forum and replied.

you can accept it or leave the game and forum if you dont like it that much. nothing more simple then that.. that is until the mods open the whole thing up for the community to debate over it, perhaps adjust things, however it could cause problems for the pwe forum service... for as long as this forum is still around before that genetic forum comes and takes over.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't talk about Fight Club/ DPS Club...
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2015

The other threads quickly degenerated into trolling/flaming. Why would the mods think any other thread on the same subject wouldn't end up the same way? There's a lot of strong feelings about what happened. Should all just pvp. There's a nice player made leaderboard for that too. :P
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I posted why those threads were closed every time I closed it.

Just like this one - discussing moderation isn't allowed. Nor is the drama from the channel issues
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.