Trek Nation

2»

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Trekkies, Trekkies 2 and Galaxy Quest.

I liked "the captains" the series of interviews with everyone who played a captain in star trek done by shatner. Loved the ones with bakula and brooks especially.

The one I might actually commit murder if it could get me the ability to see it would be this one:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Music

Picardo and We Lancie doing the music from all the series and movies with a live orchestra and history of the composers and influences on the scores. Sigh. I wish.

About trek nation, I always think that at least their relationship was better than AA Milne and Christopher Robin. That made me sad when I learned how bad they got along. By comparison to that, trek nation never struck me as about cashing in, and more just "hey, look what I learned, I know lots of you might be interested".
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    As Spock says to Saavik in ST2, nobody's perfect.

Though Roddenberry was "only human," he had a vision for a future in which people were better than that. Like many visionaries he probably wouldn't fit in the future that he wanted to create. He was, essentially, pointing the way toward what he thought was a better world, even if he himself couldn't fit its standards.

Understanding Roddenberry's legacy means recognizing that while he was a human with foibles like the rest of us, he hoped to inspire us so that we could move in the direction of a future in which humanity had overcome those foibles.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    I've thought for a long time that the Zephram Cochrane character in First Contact is essentially an allegory for Roddenberry himself. Someone that, long after his death, people venerate as a visionary historical figure, but when they actually meet him he's just a man, like any other, with all his imperfections, but who can still accomplish great things whatever his motives.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I still didn't see the need to go into detail about all his father's affairs and whatnot.

If it was news to you and you thought that it was the first "reveal" of G.R's , then I could understand that line of thought .
    However it wasn't .

That is just one example that I have on my shelf , I'm sure others exist out there in other formats .
    Now Rod had a choice to make : either pretend ignorance and "edit" what some ppl told him on camera , or not .
    Whether sensationalistic or just candid , I admire his choice .

Think of other alternative scenarios :
    Rod could have also come across as an "I hate my daddy , 'cuz he was too old and was always too busy with this Trek thing (or a bottle or his flailing "career") ! " .

And you know what ? I think a small part of him does feel like that .
    From the family life described , we saw the classic "older man marries a younger woman" scenario play out , along with "older man playboy wannabe" as well as "lack of connection & commonality between elderly father and young son" .

On the other side of that perception , we have G.R. , who after a ... somewhat life altering experience (plane crash in Syria) , after which he hung up his wings and tried and faltered @ a career before and after Trek .

... life is like a box of chocolates , and all that jazz ...
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Warp plasma can't melt steel beams
    Steel used in the particular building was made with a specific strength load. The heat it was subjected to weaken that strength load. It didn't have to melt to *collapse* under the load especially as you only had to weaken its strength.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    jheinig wrote: »

Though Roddenberry was "only human," he had a vision for a future in which people were better than that. Like many visionaries he probably wouldn't fit in the future that he wanted to create. He was, essentially, pointing the way toward what he thought was a better world, even if he himself couldn't fit its standards.

Understanding Roddenberry's legacy means recognizing that while he was a human with foibles like the rest of us, he hoped to inspire us so that we could move in the direction of a future in which humanity had overcome those foibles.

Pretty sure that post just won the Internet. Well said! :cool:
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jheinig wrote: »

Cannot have said it better...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In many ways, Gene's writting and vision really shows the Duality of man kinds nature. We all face that duality in our lives.

He did this by incorporating not only many alien species into the show, but also, with a myriad number of times where the protagonist faced himself.

For the Former, I'm reminded of undiscovered country and the dinner with the klingons scene.

To paraphrase "Human values, human this and that. the very term is speicist. (sp) He wanted to show that we all, had a common and moral outlook, and yet, many would find fault with that all the same.

For the latter, look at how many Times Capt. Kirk had to go against himself, was in the middle of a situation where two halves had an aggressive encounter.

Looking back, I think gene understood this duality, or if not understanding, he really wanted to explore it. The same holds true for us today.

I know deep down at heart, my own human nature is one of violence and war, and yet, Every day, I try to acknowledge that there is a better evolutionary trait out there for peace and love. some days are easier than others, but that is what makes the human experience worth it in the end.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    In many ways, Gene's writting and vision really shows the Duality of man kinds nature.

You do know that he wasn't much of a writer and that most of the stuff you're praising came from other people right?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You do know that he wasn't much of a writer and that most of the stuff you're praising came from other people right?

^^^
    very true. The person that shaped most of what people call and remember about Star Trek today was actually Gene L. Coon
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited June 2015

well I do now. :D

Still the point remains, some one on the show, really understood the duality of nature.

As for praising, that was not my point, nor what I was consciously doing, rather than just pointing it out.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Also IIRC, he didn't approve of TUC either.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Gene didn't like TUC but he died before he could get his attack dog lawyer off the leash.

That said, I do kind of agree with him a bit on TUC. Some of the cast say some pretty racist stuff. And Spock basically mind TRIBBLE Valeris on the bridge in front of everybody, something that is pretty out of character for... well, everyone involved.

It's still a great film it's just got issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ^^^
    very true. The person that shaped most of what people call and remember about Star Trek today was actually Gene L. Coon

Gene Coon did a lot of good work.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Roddenberry was connected to both the CIA and high ranking occultists in the TRIBBLE/US government. He had been seen with L Ron Hubbard, Jack Parsons (Jet Propulsion Lab/ Saturn V Rocket Designer and head of the OTO). Of course you sheep are far too stupid to believe any of this.

http://secretsun.blogspot.com/2008/06/council-of-nine-and-star-trek-pantheon.html
    http://thetruthseekersguide.blogspot.com/2012/06/star-trek-conspiracy-part-one.html

I guess you really have no clue what you are saying. Jack Parsons DIED in 1952 in an explosion in his garage. Work on the Saturn series of boosters did not start until 1960 with the C-1 EIGHT YEARS AFTER PARSONS DEATH. Parsons DID however contribute to space exploartion with the first pourable solid fuel propellant used in the AEROJET RATO units. Please get your facts straight.
    Further the head of the design team for the Saturn 5 was Wernher von Braun! Oh yeah don't even try and argue with well known history and with a person who had family and friends involved with the Apollo program.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    I guess you really have no clue what you are saying. Jack Parsons DIED in 1952 in an explosion in his garage. Work on the Saturn series of boosters did not start until 1960 with the C-1 EIGHT YEARS AFTER PARSONS DEATH. Parsons DID however contribute to space exploartion with the first pourable soldi fuel propellant used in the AEROJET RATO units. Please get your facts straight.
    Further the head of the design team for the Saturn 5 was Wernher von Braun! Oh yeah don't even try and argue with well known history and with a person who had family and friends involved with the Apollo program.

Today seems to be a day where many many posts are reminding me of great jokes....

http://explainxkcd.com/984/
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Today seems to be a day where many many posts are reminding me of great jokes....

http://explainxkcd.com/984/
    :)

That is pretty funny even with the mistake in it.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Roddenberry absolutely hated TWOK. Not only did he despise the story, it forced him to scrap a pitch he was working on for a new Trek series, that his wife Majel would eventually make into Andromeda (the Nietzscheans were from Alpha Ceti 5).

The First Season of TNG was Roddenberry's answer to the TOS Movies and depending on who you asked during the movies' production, the inclusion of the TOS Tech Manual stuff was either a jab at Roddenberry or accidental.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think you're misunderstanding me. Again, I'm not putting Roddenberry up high on some pedestal. I'm just not interested in learning about what I believe is his private business between him and his family.

It's not entertaining or informative to me to learn that someone is cheating on their spouse. I simply don't care as I feel it's none of my business.

Fair enough . :)

... tbh, Trekkies & Trekkies 2 made me a tad bit uncomfortable , as I could not stop seeing the "my life would be sooo empty without Trek" being the unsaid theme, and I know Trekkies in RL who are hella more balanced and rounded out as individuals then some of the folks who seemed to be "paraded" there in front of the camera ... . OTOTH maybe I should be less cynical ... , as sometimes love / fandom is just that, and not a filler ...