test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Republic and Empire: the Romulan Star Wars

newplayerguy7newplayerguy7 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Romulan Discussion
Why hasn't someone (Cryptic or a Foundry author) done the obvious thing here and made a couple of missions based on this? lol

"Your insignificant band of Rebels is no match for the might of the Empire" ;)
Post edited by newplayerguy7 on

Comments

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Err, because that would infringe on another's IP and perhaps violate the copyright on another "brand" and that would be bad ... very, very bad.

And really, shouldn't this have been posted be in 10 Forward or at least the Foundry Subforum?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wished for something like this for the longest time. Sela's return put hte kibosh on any dreams of a Romulan Battlezone. :(
    3T6cHqb.png
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not really. This is about Romulan gameplay. If Cryptic is going to give us two disparate factions for Romulans...isn't it only logical that they should support the 'conflict' someway?

The Republic and Empire should trying to destroy each other given the circumstances that Cryptic created. Where's the 'combat front' between them - it's hard to tell where the Empire's territory starts and the Republic's begin. According to the map it's all Romulan space. But which Romulans?

Shouldn't there be an all out effort by the Romulan Star Empire forces (and the Tal Shiar by default) to crush the Rebelling Republic before it gets too strong? Where are the missions that reflect this in the game?

There's only one faction, and it's barely a faction (hence some references to it as a "fraction"). You can't play in an RSE or Tal'Shiar faction, because it doesn't exist. You can RP it, sure, but the only playable Romulan faction in STO from the perspective of game mechanics is the RRF (that stands for Romulan Republic Forces or Republican Romulan Forces, depending on who you ask).

As for an all-out effort, they tried that, with their usual overzealous stupidity of "kill them all, because 'loyal' Romulans should be more than willing to die for the 'security' of the Star Empire." That's what the attacks on Virinat and Crateris and Rhi (and other Romulan colonies) were about. It didn't take too long from that to the point at which Hakeev was shot in the face on Brea and Sela was carted off by the Iconians, which only resulted in more turmoil inside the already-decadent and dying Star Empire.

Now (2410) the RSE and/or Tal'Shiar is/are merely a vestige of what it/they once was/were (I'm still unconvinced by Sela's rhetoric and attempts to convince me with possibly staged encounters that the RSE and the Tal'Shiar have gone their separate ways); were they to attack in force now, they would be wiped out with little effort. The writing has been on the wall for a long time, even if some refuse to read it: the RSE is a crumbling heap of rubble and dead minds. There may be factions within the RSE (and in fact, that's highly probable, with various warlords fighting over the scraps left after Sela was ... kidnapped? captured? rescued? ... by the Iconians), but the notion that the Tal'Shiar would completely abandon the RSE is a bit hard to swallow.

So, they had their chance, they took it, they blew it, and then they got their butts handed to them -repeatedly- by the Republic as well as the Republic's Federation and Klingon allies to the point that they now are reduced to what appears to be most of one sector and part of another, with the Republic constantly gaining new territory as Romulan and Reman worlds are liberated from RSE and Tal'Shiar tyranny and terror.
    edited May 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    You could probably make Foundry missions for it, but the inability to make missions that are specifically for Romulans (i.e. they have to be either Fed or Klingon faction, and then are open to everyone of that faction) leads to potential weirdness... as well as a need to make two copies (one per faction) to make it accessible to all Romulans.

I have to think that's at least part of the reason nobody's really gone there.

Pretty much why I haven't yet bothered to give us that Foundry mission I want to write that affords Romulans the chance to kill the Undine imposter who took T'nae's place ...

Or something like that.

But yeah, I want to design as a Romulan for Romulans, and until that is possible, I doubt seriously that I'll be making any efforts to compose Foundry missions.
    edited May 2015
    I tip my hat to you, sir.

You make a very persuasive and well laid-out argument. Looking at the situation from that perspective, it does make sense with how things are set-up in the game right now.

I don't often say I'm wrong, but in this case...I am.
    (I guess I must do less pew-pew and more dialog reading in the future. :D)

Thank you, but I'm not a "sir." ahr'nviahr arhem. I am a woman.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think the remnants of RSE are currently very weak, they have only one very populated planet (Rator III) and some outposts. Majority of their fleet was destroyed in 2391 by klingons and they have not a sources to restore the fleet. Former RSE's worlds are neutral (free), conqured by people like Hassan , under control of noble houses or enslaved by the borg.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A lot of their fleet was also destroyed in Sela's (frankly mental) attack on Vulcan in the revamped Romulan mission.

I think the "rebels vs empire" thing was pretty much just played out in the Legacy of Romulus Rom character missions. Although agree that more separation between the RSE and Republic and their territory would be nice.

Perhaps the Iconian arc will introduce the idea that whatever remains of the RSE as a state (presumably with Sela as it's head?) will tenuously join the the alliance against the iconians? This would make sense from a story perspective if Sela offered their services in exchange for an amnesty over her crimes, recognising the RSE as a viable territory and entity, and perhaps a neutral zone between the RSE and the republic? (although I would imagine they would also demand lots of republic systems be returned to them).
    edited May 2015
    tmassx wrote: »
    I think the remnants of RSE are currently very weak, they have only one very populated planet (Rator III) and some outposts. Majority of their fleet was destroyed in 2391 by klingons and they have not a sources to restore the fleet. Former RSE's worlds are neutral (free), conqured by people like Hassan , under control of noble houses or enslaved by the borg.

Not even that. The RSEs territory on the map is represented by a shade of green (the same used by disruptor weapons) that now exists only around Romulus. The rest of Romulan territory is shaded the plasma green used for the Republic.

Most of their leet was not destroyed by the Klingons. It was either destroyed in assorted schisms an civil wars, or defected to the Republic.

And finally, Hassan was only set up on Nimbus, which was never a Romulan planet. It was (and is) a neutral world with settlers from multiple powers.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited May 2015

That's one thing I very much wonder. Of the seemingly RSE area of space, who actually holds control there? Is it the Imperial Remnant, or the Tal'Shiar? Is there a serious separation between those two, where there are actually competing interests and governing bodies?

In particular, who is sitting in the new Imperial Senate on Rator III? It's obviously not Sela at the moment. So is it her immediate subordinate in the Imperial government, and if so does that subordinate have a handle on the Tal'Shiar? Or is it that the Tal'Shiar is so powerful that their own people are dominating the Senate to the point that they 'own' Rator?

Lots of questions, most of which I expect will be answered as the Iconian War continues, as Sela's story arc is closed, and as the remaining details of the Tal'Shiar's involvement with the Iconians is exposed.
    edited May 2015
    Was Hakeev the leader of the Tal Shiar? Or did he answer to someone? In which case someone else must now be the leader of the Tal Shiar.
    edited May 2015
    antzudan wrote: »
    Was Hakeev the leader of the Tal Shiar? Or did he answer to someone? In which case someone else must now be the leader of the Tal Shiar.

Hakeev was leader, yeah. Last known leader was Ruul.
    edited May 2015
    Are the Tal Shiar still specifically in league with the Iconians? (Now that Sela, and by extension the RSE is ostensibly not). They will hopefully be able to make this distinction over the war to clear things up a bit with Tal Shiar still remaining resolutely bad guys, the republic being good and the RSE being a middle ground autonomous state who we are not openly at war but can still have some espionagey missions with every now an then.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The parallel is so obvious that I have often used it to explain my stand on the whole Republic/Empire debate. I mean, we have the Imperial Remnant (RSE) who are all-but defeated, they can no longer continue a fight on multiple fronts, at the tipping point where they must sue for peace or die; the insane Warlords (Tal Shiar) who are more interested in personal power, their own glory, and petty squabbles than forming a unified Empire that could stand as a legitimate government; and the New Republic (Romulan Republic) founded by those who wanted to resurrect the Old Order of government, but who are fast discovering the flaws of the bureaucratic system they thought would be so perfect.
    edited May 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    That's one thing I very much wonder. Of the seemingly RSE area of space, who actually holds control there? Is it the Imperial Remnant, or the Tal'Shiar? Is there a serious separation between those two, where there are actually competing interests and governing bodies?

In particular, who is sitting in the new Imperial Senate on Rator III? It's obviously not Sela at the moment. So is it her immediate subordinate in the Imperial government, and if so does that subordinate have a handle on the Tal'Shiar? Or is it that the Tal'Shiar is so powerful that their own people are dominating the Senate to the point that they 'own' Rator?

Lots of questions, most of which I expect will be answered as the Iconian War continues, as Sela's story arc is closed, and as the remaining details of the Tal'Shiar's involvement with the Iconians is exposed.

Just like to point out, Rator is Republic territory now. IN sector space, iot has the Republic's plasma green color under it.
    3T6cHqb.png
    edited May 2015
    tolmarius wrote: »
    Just like to point out, Rator is Republic territory now. IN sector space, iot has the Republic's plasma green color under it.

Hmm, that'd be an interesting twist.

I've said this before in another thread, but Rator is in a terrible strategic location. It was always right on the border with Fed space. And now it's along the shaky border between the RSE and Republic.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Hakeev was indeed the leader of the Tal Shiar. How a Colonel is in charge of an organization as big as the Tal Shiar is another idiotic point, but that's another thread altogether.

Traditionally there is a council its leader is a part of but with Shinzon zapping the Senate and the stability issues since, the Tal Shiar literally were on their own program with no oversight, regardless of the aims of the Empire.

The RSE that we see now in STO is not the same, stable RSE from the TV shows that had a Senate having oversight, control, and stability. Sela and Hakeev needed each other for their own ends but even Sela could not reign in Hakeev when his **** got too far out of hand. The Tal Shiar and whoever leads it is literally alone. It's not friendly with what remains of the RSE. And it definitely is not friendly with the Romulan Republic and its allies, the Federation and Klingon Empire.

Tal Shiar leadership had catastrophically failed the service itself, the Romulans that composed the Empire, and the very Empire it was to defend. And it seems Hakeev's replacement is intent on keeping it that way.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2015
    I meant 'sir' as a catch-all, as used in naval terms. :D

But really, I suppose Captain Janeway provided proof that 'ma'am' works great.

So....I tip my hat to you, ma'am. :)

There is a Rihan word used in the military, "rekkhai," which is a military form of address to a superior officer, and can be translated as "sir" or "ma'am." I've asked a few times for my fleet personnel to address me not as "ma'am," but "rekkhai," but mostly they call me "Fvillhu" or "Praetor," with some of the longtime people in the Raenasa galaen (High Command of the Fleet) calling me "Gessa" or "t'Prell" (and two calling me "ri'Nanov," my daughter and my adopted daughter).
    A lot of their fleet was also destroyed in Sela's (frankly mental) attack on Vulcan in the revamped Romulan mission.

I think the "rebels vs empire" thing was pretty much just played out in the Legacy of Romulus Rom character missions. Although agree that more separation between the RSE and Republic and their territory would be nice.

Perhaps the Iconian arc will introduce the idea that whatever remains of the RSE as a state (presumably with Sela as it's head?) will tenuously join the the alliance against the iconians? This would make sense from a story perspective if Sela offered their services in exchange for an amnesty over her crimes, recognising the RSE as a viable territory and entity, and perhaps a neutral zone between the RSE and the republic? (although I would imagine they would also demand lots of republic systems be returned to them).

At this point, I think it's too late for Sela to start making overtures of peaceful coexistence, and I doubt anyone with much sense would trust her to honor any treaty she signed with the Republic.

Besides, I want to kill her. Her execution is overdue, for her many crimes against peace, crimes against Romulanity and Remanity, and failure to properly discharge command responsibility. Unfortunately, the Devs seem to want to tell some story with her, so I will have to bide my time till that story is told, and then I had better be able to kill her. Some will object that that will make me judge, jury, and executioner. Some should remember that she had her chance for a trial and all but admitted her guilt of any charge which would have been brought against her by escaping captivity to stir more TRIBBLE (and of course she also stirred TRIBBLE by the method used for her escape, once again violating the free will of someone she claims to be doing everything for).

Thus, OFF WITH HER HEAD!

*orders a wall mount for the trophy* Maybe I'll just leave that in my ready room, so as not to scare casual allies visiting Tal'Diann Starbase G-14. Then again, the Fed allies can't visit that particular starbase, and I doubt the Klingons would be too bothered by it ...
    edited May 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Thus, OFF WITH HER HEAD!

*orders a wall mount for the trophy* Maybe I'll just leave that in my ready room, so as not to scare casual allies visiting Tal'Diann Starbase G-14. Then again, the Fed allies can't visit that particular starbase, and I doubt the Klingons would be too bothered by it ...

Don't forget the woad and jar of honey. :D
    3T6cHqb.png
    edited May 2015
    Don't forget the woad and jar of honey. :D

Paenhe! Don't give away state secrets!
    edited May 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Paenhe! Don't give away state secrets!

I'm sure it will only enhance your reputation when Sela finds out. :P
    3T6cHqb.png
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If I remember right, D'Tan had as policy not to launch a general conflict with the RSE, preferring to win hearts and minds and play defensively to kill less innocent citizens, which is probably the only reason there's any Star Empire left at this point.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    I'm curious as to how the post-Iconian War will shape up. New Romulus got kicked in the teeth by the Heralds, and the wise sages point out that [SPOILERS] New Romulus may get kicked in the teeth again by a baddie looking for the Iconians [/SPOILERS].

One wonders if the post-war climate will level the field against the RSE and the Republic, leading to a renewed conflict (and resolution).
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hakeev was indeed the leader of the Tal Shiar. How a Colonel is in charge of an organization as big as the Tal Shiar is another idiotic point, but that's another thread altogether.

The way I see it. The same way Dukat after taking control of Cardassia preferred the term Gul. or how irl Khaddafi though running a country liked to be called a colonel.
    If you are in charge and have little to no oversight. You can demand whatever rank you choose.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how the post-Iconian War will shape up. New Romulus got kicked in the teeth by the Heralds, and the wise sages point out that [SPOILERS] New Romulus may get kicked in the teeth again by a baddie looking for the Iconians [/SPOILERS].

One wonders if the post-war climate will level the field against the RSE and the Republic, leading to a renewed conflict (and resolution).

After having read the Tales of the War it is clear there is growing discontent on New Romulus. A lot of people, myslef included, believe that D'Tan is not the man we need as our leader. We left Vulcan because we didn't feel the ways of Surak were for us. D'Tan is feels a little too much like Surak for my taste. Which is why I allfied with the KDF. It is time to go back to our martial roots. The old senate failed us. Sela failed us. D'Tan failed us. The time to build a new Empire has come!
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think 22nd century Andorians or some other Vulcanoid haters must be writing Trek these days. Blow up Romulus, then in Abramaverse blow up Vulcan, then come back to prime universe and pit Romulans against each other :/
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    The way I see it. The same way Dukat after taking control of Cardassia preferred the term Gul. or how irl Khaddafi though running a country liked to be called a colonel.
    If you are in charge and have little to no oversight. You can demand whatever rank you choose.

Good point, forgot about Khaddafi's insistence on keeping the rank of Colonel. Same deal with Dukat.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Rator III - Nova Roma was of course second most populated planet in RSE and seat of power Sela's forces. She has a lot of millions inhabitants. And she is still capitol of RSE, no matter on colors on the map, where some shades of green used for the relics of Hobus supernova and Great bloom (pollution from the explosion of Scimitar).

But as somebody here said, IMHO Rator III is in not so good strategic position, she is too close Federation space, only some several LY. Probably she has more economic importance. But the same as f.e. Cardassia.
    edited May 2015
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    After having read the Tales of the War it is clear there is growing discontent on New Romulus. A lot of people, myslef included, believe that D'Tan is not the man we need as our leader. We left Vulcan because we didn't feel the ways of Surak were for us. D'Tan is feels a little too much like Surak for my taste. Which is why I allfied with the KDF. It is time to go back to our martial roots. The old senate failed us. Sela failed us. D'Tan failed us. The time to build a new Empire has come!

No, we left Vulcan to remain free (this is confirmed several times in the in-game lore as well as various novels which were inspirations for STO lore). Followers of Surak were among those who left and made the Journey. It wasn't the ideals of Surak, which constituted a philosophy; it was the efforts of the Vulcan establishment to turn Surakian Philosophy into a religion and force conformity to the orthodoxy they were pushing, which wasn't even consistent with what Surak taught. Surak taught Kol-Ut-Shan, which is "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." Had the Vulcan establishment been faithful to that ideal, there would never have been any need for us to leave, because dissent would not have been viewed as a threat.

Martial roots? We are warriors, yes, but this idea that Romulans are sabre-rattling warmongers is more consistent with those who follow the Way of D'Era, established by Tellus, a warlord. His followers were "the Children of Ket-Cheleb" (Ket-Cheleb is the old Vulcan God of War). Tellus was by no means the only leader of the several different groups who left Vulcan on the Journey. And the Way of D'Era is by no means the only religion, sacred tradition, or philosophy held by Romulans and Remans. S'Task was a former student of Surak who was convinced of the error of Surak's teachings of non-violence by a dose of reality. He and Surak remained friends, and Surak is the one who gave the last Three Swords of S'harien to S'Task when the ships were readying for departure.
    edited May 2015
    Rator III - Nova Roma was of course second most populated planet in RSE and seat of power Sela's forces. She has a lot of millions inhabitants. And she is still capitol of RSE, no matter on colors on the map, where some shades of green used for the relics of Hobus supernova and Great bloom (pollution from the explosion of Scimitar).

But as somebody here said, IMHO Rator III is in not so good strategic position, she is too close Federation space, only some several LY. Probably she has more economic importance. But the same as f.e. Cardassia.

Of course the colors on the map matter. The Republic and Federation surround Rator on all sides. They been fighting a WAR. Rator is very clearly now within the Republic, both on the galaxy map and in sector space. It was taken. Without anything aobut the results of hte war, its the most logical conclusion. IN a similar vein, if the RSE made a resurgence, and it's terrirtory suddenly surrounded New Romulus on all sides, with not Republic color, I would assume that Mol'Rihan has been taken.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Colonel's traditionally on Earth a commander of a regiment - it could be historical from when the Tal Shiar wasn't quite so dominating, or as a lie to the 'standard' forces that the Tal Shiar is less powerful.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!