test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Next Star Trek Series

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Ten Forward
I believe the next star trek series or a ministries should be set during the Earth-Romulan war.

I wouldn't mind seeing the cast of Enterprise have a role in this.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That's just Enterprise season 5, well what was ment to be season 5.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At this point I'd take anything..

But I like the Rom-Earth war angle.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    That's just Enterprise season 5, well what was ment to be season 5.

I know, I was disappointed because Enterprise was really picking up once they shed their time war stories
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I believe the next star trek series or a ministries should be set during the Earth-Romulan war.

I wouldn't mind seeing the cast of Enterprise have a role in this.

Thoughts?
    I know, I was disappointed because Enterprise was really picking up once they shed their time war stories

It does suck as your right it was getting good and don't even get me started on the lameness of the last episode.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It does suck as your right it was getting good and don't even get me started on the lameness of the last episode.

most hated Star trek finale, I believe.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    most hated Star trek finale, I believe.

Tbf the only part I liked about it was being able to see Troi and Riker together again.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Tbf the only part I liked about it was being able to see Troi and Riker together again.

And that is the part that almost everyone hates about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    And that is the part that almost everyone hates about it.

not quite, but it is related
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    Yeah... boo Enterprise.

I'm more of a fan of the idea some, including Wil Wheaton, think should happen... make Star Trek like True Detective. A tight, ten-to-thirteen episode story that changes from season to season. I suppose you could do a Earth-Romulan War story in that format, too.

Then, again... Enterprise totally botched the Romulan War idea, IMO, so it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. :(
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Repost of my idea from the other thread that got closed:
    The model I would follow is a show I'm currently enamored with, The 100. It's decent sci-fi on the CW, lol. Easily the most improved show in the first season. Just hire some talented "kids" that'll take a low paycheck and are easily replaceable. Also, have no fear any killing off crew, make it the first Trek that does that regularly.

Make it about some cadets near graduation. Could be a Red Squad running a ship on some shakedown cruise, ala Valiant from DS9. Set it in post-war Voyager era. Use the Borg incursion I recall happening in some novel(s) as the pivotal event, pressing the crew into service.

They can have a pair of veteran crew at the top. I'd be happy with Tuvok or Harry Kim as "instructors" pressed back into front line duty. But I think an entirely new captain would be best, something we haven't seen before. A Section 31 operative, working at the Academy for recruitment purposes, becomes a ruthless tactician in the field.

Afterwards, give some promotions, send them on their way as galactic cops. They can send some time patrolling Cardassian space, encounter Sela, take orders from Admiral Picard or Janeway, and assist Ambassador Worf with some silly Klingon issue.

The overall arc could be about the post-war peace collapsing due to some of our anti-hero captain's actions. All an insidious plot to absorb the Cardassian, Klingon, and Romulan Empires into the Federation. All of this will culminate in our Captain working with Sela and Hakeev to cause the Hobus supernova.

To me, this bridges the gap between on-screen material and the game nicely.

Otherwise a miniseries depicting the Earth-Romulan war would be good. Or maybe the Enterprise-B's Beta Quadrant excursions. Really just about anything Trek would be good enough for me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,401 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Let's not go back to the past. Then our developments are limited by canon - no seeing a live/dead Romulan (because canonically, nobody in the Federation, not even Vulcans, knew what Romulans looked like until Spock managed to tap their communications in Run Silent, Run Deep - er, I mean "Balance of Terror"), no invasions of Earth or of Romulus, no desperate ground actions, no face-to-face dramatic meetings with the enemy commanders, none of the good stuff. Just a bunch of space battles even more sterile than Star Wars.

Let's see what happens next. Last time we discussed this idea, one of the better suggestions, IMO, was Star Trek: Magellan - following the adventures of the transwarp/quantum slipstream starship USS Magellan on her mission to explore one of the dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way. (The popular concept there, in keeping with the show title, was the Greater Magellanic Cloud, but I voted for the Canis Minor Dwarf galaxy because it's closer, at only 25,000 lightyears, and has an orbit that passes through the galactic plane, meaning there's a trail of gas, dust, and stars from the galactic disk all the way there.)

That leaves all the possibilities open. Maybe now that we've got better and cheaper CGI, they can encounter races of whom the Preservers never heard, something totally nonhumanoid but suited to its own environment. Maybe they'll encounter some completely new interstellar government. Maybe while they're gone there'll be some sort of Iconian computer virus infecting Federation and Klingon systems, and by the time they get back all the known governments in the Milky Way will have collapsed. Maybe none of that will happen - but at least the possibility would be there!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2015
    I've stated my likes (including the Magellan one, and the post-apocalyptic idea of a couple months back) in several threads over the years.

While I'm not opposed to an Earth-Romulan war series, I do think it will be challenged for one significant reason: the Romulans successfully hid their appearance from everyone. They were not revealed until the events of "Balance of Terror". That could lead to a rather limited or stiff look to the show.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A Earth-Romulan War could work if the Romulans used a subjugated species as cannon fodder maybe make the Trek elements more subtle. The series could be made in the style of Band of Brothers or True Detective where the series is actually an anthology of stories.

What I mean by more subtle tones is to ease the viewers into Trek rather than backhanding them with it.
  • Options
    simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think the next series should be set in the 29th century during the temporal cold war. Perhaps as the first show they can go back and fix the time line that created the travesty that has been the last few trek movies and bring back planet vulcan restoring the original time line. After that the serious can explore federation past present and future thru time travel.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think the next series should be set in the 29th century during the temporal cold war. Perhaps as the first show they can go back and fix the time line that created the travesty that has been the last few trek movies and bring back planet vulcan restoring the original time line. After that the serious can explore federation past present and future thru time travel.

In the main timeline, Vulcan is still there. Are you talking about Romulus?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,401 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Prime timeline's still there. We're playing in it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    durango4durango4 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In high school, just for fun, I created a Star Trek series based around the Enterprise-B. It took place during the Cardassian War. We actually watched the Cardfassians invade Bajor. If you recall from TNG they referance some kind of major conflict between the Federation and Cardassians in the past. I figured the Enterprie-C was with the Klingons. So I took that and made a small series of stories out of it. The Enterprise-B vs. Cardassians.

I created a situatin where Bajor was in trouble and asking the Federation for help. But the Cardassians, at the time, was too strong and was able to fend off the Federation. The Federation had to back off and couldn't help the Bajorans as they would like. A mild Federation defeat. That is why it took until Deep Space Nine for the Federation to get back in there.

I also had a small scene witnessing the beginning of the construction fo Deep Space Nine, or Torok Nor.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That would be the Cardassian Wars (2340s to 2369). TNG Chain of Command is about the ending of the war and the creation of the DMZ. A number of the characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY are veterans of the Cardassian Wars. Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and O'Brien. Riker and Data are presumably due to their battlefield honors. Chakotay and Crusher are high-probabilities to have served.

The decade preceding TNG would be an interesting time period to see. Despite the sterile environment shown in the early years of TNG, the Federation must have been in a long war footing similar to the recent American and other countries participating in the recent conflicts.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wouldn't a post-apocalyptic Star Trek just be a redone version of Andromeda?

----

I'm personally fond of the Star Trek Magellan concept. Although rather than a USS Magellan I would just use a future Enterprise and have it set in the year 2466.

With the advances in technology the Federation has expanded into all four quadrants of the Milky Way, making alliances with the Romulans and Dominion, and is experiencing a period of prosperity and peace like no other. With our home galaxy largely tamed the next frontiers are the neighboring galaxies. In the Star Trek novels they have had stories where the USS Excelsior and USS Titan had brief visits to the Small Magellanic Cloud, so that provides the basis for a starting point for such an adventure.

I would also borrow a concept from the Voyager novels, mainly the framework of the "Full Circle Fleet". In those novels Voyager used Quantum Slipstream to return to the Delta Quadrant to properly explore it, joined by a task force of 8 other ships. Three ships were the big heavy explorers, three were the medium support ships, and the remaining three were specialized ships to extend the fleets operational logistics. Only I would treat the other ships with a bit more respect instead of using them as cannon fodder.

As for what starship tech would be like in the 25th century, we could easily up the ante on existing concepts. For example replacing turbolifts with internal ransporter booths, using holodeck technology to allow rooms to be repurposed with a simple voice command, etc.

---

Sadly CBS and Paramount seem really unsure of how to handle Star Trek anymore. With the reboot movies being successful we might also have to accept that the original timeline might never be revisited on television.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    damn it, no!!!

we will go back to the original timeline for tv.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2015
    I dunno. As blasphemous as this may sound I'm more and more of the opinion it might be time for Paramount to nut up and reboot TOS.

Now before anyone jumps at me let me make something clear: I love TOS. Pound for pound it is my favorite series and deserves every bit of respect for being the ground breaker and trend setter. However, and this is being honest, it hasn't really aged well in places and don't mean just the effects or costumes.

Blasphemy! :P

Well, I'm going to add my own blasphemy: whatever happens, whatever time, make it something other than another Enterprise (ship, not the show). I find it one too many suspensions of belief that every last Enterprise, whether it lives or dies, will be a legend with a legendary crew. Pointing to real life navies, we've had many impressive ships, but I cannot think of one name that consistently turns out legends for every single class of ship the name settles upon. There are legendary vessels and crews, to be sure, and every once in a while you'll hear of a second ship of that name performing above and beyond, but every generation?

So, getting off the soapbox, I say I like the idea of a TOS reboot...that is, a TOS era reboot. Focus the stories on another ship and crew, maybe throw in a few references to major galactic events mentioned in TOS, more as a means of anchoring events to a timeline, and less about fan service. (and while at it FIX THE STARDATE. Thank you.)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Another thing I considered is a Star Trek series that takes place on one of the alien ships. Probably Romulan. Perhaps a Klingon, Cardassian, or even Vulcan. Perhaps a series where the deck is reversed. Where Worf was Klingon on a human ship. How about a character who's human on a Klingon ship?
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Let's not go back to the past. Then our developments are limited by canon - no seeing a live/dead Romulan (because canonically, nobody in the Federation, not even Vulcans, knew what Romulans looked like until Spock managed to tap their communications in Run Silent, Run Deep - er, I mean "Balance of Terror"), no invasions of Earth or of Romulus, no desperate ground actions, no face-to-face dramatic meetings with the enemy commanders, none of the good stuff. Just a bunch of space battles even more sterile than Star Wars.

Let's see what happens next. Last time we discussed this idea, one of the better suggestions, IMO, was Star Trek: Magellan - following the adventures of the transwarp/quantum slipstream starship USS Magellan on her mission to explore one of the dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way. (The popular concept there, in keeping with the show title, was the Greater Magellanic Cloud, but I voted for the Canis Minor Dwarf galaxy because it's closer, at only 25,000 lightyears, and has an orbit that passes through the galactic plane, meaning there's a trail of gas, dust, and stars from the galactic disk all the way there.)

That leaves all the possibilities open. Maybe now that we've got better and cheaper CGI, they can encounter races of whom the Preservers never heard, something totally nonhumanoid but suited to its own environment. Maybe they'll encounter some completely new interstellar government. Maybe while they're gone there'll be some sort of Iconian computer virus infecting Federation and Klingon systems, and by the time they get back all the known governments in the Milky Way will have collapsed. Maybe none of that will happen - but at least the possibility would be there!

Ditto.

Set it a few hundred years in the future (of STO). SPECULATE on the technological achievements. Don't talk about the past and leave the questions of what universe this is (JJ, Prime) open to speculation. It must be about exploration, not about fighting just one set of opponents.
  • Options
    aeridynamicaeridynamic Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Looks kinda cool.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Doesn't look as bad as i recall it.

EDIT:
    Ditto.

Set it a few hundred years in the future (of STO). SPECULATE on the technological achievements. Don't talk about the past and leave the questions of what universe this is (JJ, Prime) open to speculation. It must be about exploration, not about fighting just one set of opponents.
    100% this!

I think in universe they should have reached a technological plateau so things don't get out of hand or become too easy.
    If they do a trek series today, i hope Writers have learned fomr Voyager and don't try to solve every problem with some obscure tech. Let the characters solve problems not the technology. I think JJ movies (with all their flaws) got that right.

The pace of storytelling should be somewhere between the new movies and Enterprise series. But i seriously hope they don't try to immitate BSG like Stargate universe did (and rightfully failed).
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There is a fan made movie called Star Trek Horizon, Here is the URL for the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWD9RMp_Gfk
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Since we are showing fanmade trek films I figured id throw this one in. Between Renegades, Horizon and Axanar, I have to say Axanar and renegades look awesome and could easily be turned into a series. Horizon LOOKs good for being fan made, however the story has been done, they are simply tweaking the players.

Axanar and Renegades seem to be seeking approval from CBS. Not sure what that means or entails, but I have read that while CBD/Paramount accept Fanfic Trek Films, they do not allow them to be SOLD for profit. This is truly a shame.

I believe CBS should consider a new strategy. If THEY don't want a new trek series on TV, then perhaps allowing these fanmade films to be put on NETFLIX. CBS could get a portion of what Netflix pays for them, while the rest could be put into production costs for the series. CBS could have SOME say in the story of the series, but none of the financial burden of a new series.

Netflix is diving headfirst into Series production,, if CBS would loosen the grip they have on the Star Trek IP than Star Trek could be brought back by the people who truly love it,, the fans!!

This is highly unlikely, however one can dream. :D
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hadn't seen Axanar before,I was impressed.I do hope they get to finish it.