test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO: You Are Kirk. You are Picard.

thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
I originally created this thread as a response to someone who didn't quite like how STO worked. I thought it would be a good idea to re post it here in the Academy forums.

YOU ARE KIRK. YOU ARE PICARD.

Firstly, please don't think this is a forum attack on you, your views, your history...etc.etc.

The way this game is designed, in my view, is so that you can make it your own version of Star Trek with the supplied assets.

In the game, nothing exists outside of your character's reality.

For example: There are not thousands of Admirals flying ships for Starfleet.

You are the only one.

Just like Kirk in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (link).

When an alien spacecraft of enormous power is spotted approaching Earth, Admiral Kirk resumes command of the Starship Enterprise in order to intercept, examine and hopefully stop the intruder.

STO is attempting to deliver the entire Trek universe to you, so that you can take whatever parts of it You like and make it your own.

You are SPECIAL.

Your story is unique from every other player.

In fact, there are no other players. Only occasionally you might have to call in support to take out a larger than normal threat.

Just like Picard taking over the battle against the Borg in the Battle of Sector 001 in Star Trek: First Contact (link).

You are the most bad TRIBBLE ship commander in all the Milky Way. Nothing stands in your way. Your ship always wins. All of your bridge officers never die.

Just like all of Star Trek. Live the Dream. That's what Star Trek Online is. The closest thing we have to a "holodeck" in our time.

LLAP,

T9
STAR TREK
lD8xc9e.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Pretty spot on
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You just keep thinking that, OP. I'm gonna sit here actually acknowledging the persistent world and other people that are presented in the game.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Works for me. Unless there's a F2P single-player Star Trek sandbox RPG out there I'm unaware of, the presence of other people is just the price of admission.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I appreciate the OPs imagination and good will, i find it extremely hard to ignore all the other people around, no matter how much i try...

To OP: Good post nevertheless!

Frankly, if there where a equal single player sandbox Star Trek game featuring just as much customization as STO with the same or better Ground/Space aspect (and all the other stuff, that makes STO good), i'd be turned my back on STO.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think what irritates me the most is being and Admiral running around doing Captain stuff, taking orders from Lieutenants, ect. Admirals do more management and admin work if I'm not mistaken, and the closest thing we have to that is the DOFF system. If we're going to be forced to be Admirals, we could at least build our own fleet of Ships instead of DOFFs and send our ship/doffs out on missions instead. Maybe even have ships sitting idle in our shipyards called in as combat pets/reinforcements or something.

As it is now, I'd rather just have 60 levels of Captain rank. Or better yet, do away with levelling altogether and just use the specialization system as a sort of level the way they sort of have it from 55-60.
    6e5OTnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I've always wondered what would happen if the toons became aware.

Think they'd sell all the stuff and trade it for credit in Second Life? The toons do deserve a break or at least a bit of fun and humor.

Cryptic doesn't really give us much of this without a lot of grind attached.

I think a lot of people's characters would be convinced they're stuck in groundhogs day. "ISA again? Didn't I just kill these guys? Q are you make this into a temporal loop or am I dreaming?"
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't wanna be Kirk. I'd look really stupid in a hairpiece. I don't wanna be Picard. Endlessly pontificating for minutes at a time while my crew figures out how to get away from the Villain of the Week.

Who I want to be is Major Kira. Now there's a Star Trek character worthy of emulation in STO. Brusque. Efficient. And with a very low tolerance for B.S. Someone who will play by the rules until the rules interfere with her ability to successfully complete the mission. At that point, the rules can go hang. Because Kira does not intend to lose by being forced into some silly Starfleet protocol.

The girl uses one of my favorite maxims: It is far easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Pretty spot on

ty Gavin. and thanks for the cookie too. it's yummy!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    kazisakikazisaki Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    my headcanon is that basically all flag officer ranks for players are essentially provisional, seeing as you can reach fleet admiral and still be ordered around by people that rank well beneath you. i can understand there being a massive amount of them truly there can only be one fleet Admiral, the highest rank in starfleet, and that still belongs to Jorel Quinn. and while i can understand the meteoric rise to captain taking place in under a year, its still a bit far fetched that somone whose basically fresh out of the academy has the exact same power as the head of starfleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    I appreciate the OPs imagination and good will, i find it extremely hard to ignore all the other people around, no matter how much i try...

To OP: Good post nevertheless!

Frankly, if there where a equal single player sandbox Star Trek game featuring just as much customization as STO with the same or better Ground/Space aspect (and all the other stuff, that makes STO good), i'd be turned my back on STO.

Oh Yreodred, I love your forum avatar. Kinda looks like the bartender on one of the starbases. And that guy, the bartender, reminds me of a Zando-Zan from the movie, The Last Starfighter ;)

(LINK to ZANDOZAN!)
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thetanine wrote: »
    Oh Yreodred, I love your forum avatar. Kinda looks like the bartender on one of the starbases. And that guy, the bartender, reminds me of a Zando-Zan from the movie, The Last Starfighter ;)

(LINK to ZANDOZAN!)
    Lol, really? I got to see that bartender. :D

OT:
    To me it's very different. Mostly i try to igonre the fact that my characters are Admiral rank. For me they are Captain.
    And yeah getting orders from Lt. or other captains (which is even worse if you ar Admiral) is more than bothersome imo.

But on the other side as a Admiral, the game should be more like a Strategy game, not a RPG.
    I still prefer being a Captain in a Star Trek RPG game.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah the STO single player story is pretty much this.

I have an RP version of mychara, service record, crew, headcanon ship, etc etc.

But thats not the single player story.

Just accept your multiple realities!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From the story point of view as you progress to end game yes. But once you hit end game, to get all the nice shinies, well that suddenly changes.

My 2 ec.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    From the story point of view as you progress to end game yes. But once you hit end game, to get all the nice shinies, well that suddenly changes.

My 2 ec.

It never changes and its not just her imagination. That is reality as the npcs and the story missions present it to you.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the Trek expanded universe (novels), Jellico was a 5 star admiral, but also CIC of Starfleet. Maybe Quinn is the same?

As for being ordered around by people less than my rank, I just accepted that they are the head of whatever project I'm working on, so I would need their expertise and guidance to complete the mission.

Just my $0.02
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    rararezrarararezra Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    rickdanko wrote: »
    In the Trek expanded universe (novels), Jellico was a 5 star admiral, but also CIC of Starfleet. Maybe Quinn is the same?

As for being ordered around by people less than my rank, I just accepted that they are the head of whatever project I'm working on, so I would need their expertise and guidance to complete the mission.

Just my $0.02

Isn't the Fed President CIC of Starfleet?
    BannerAd.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqKGfmigEaa_Mj-3pbccgK-CzMTV1kHbjirr85d8RZ625XogaajKJO_2YL_60T-sG4EfHAbI_j6tB_eIU_kOpughtVZHD0Wj9iKkT7vr7B4Tclv3WCF5JpCIBoHq_SDi_ww94009Bcgb1o09AsCl_w8CIvwJ6miWwXbRQ0IsthtJEhe4iBfs1UuPTYKZdYlRcfN9-mZrfRvHQu10ERy5i17BZJ1bA%3D%3D&attredirects=0
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I don't wanna be Kirk. I'd look really stupid in a hairpiece. I don't wanna be Picard. Endlessly pontificating for minutes at a time while my crew figures out how to get away from the Villain of the Week.

Who I want to be is Major Kira. Now there's a Star Trek character worthy of emulation in STO. Brusque. Efficient. And with a very low tolerance for B.S. Someone who will play by the rules until the rules interfere with her ability to successfully complete the mission. At that point, the rules can go hang. Because Kira does not intend to lose by being forced into some silly Starfleet protocol.

The girl uses one of my favorite maxims: It is far easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.

her blockade with obsolete spacecraft in shadows and symbols proves that
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius