test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hi LaughingTrendy Please squash rumour ship/weapon CritD is being capped.

erikossserikosss Member Posts: 65 Arc User
Hi LaughingTrendy

I heard a rumour online that cryptic is considering capping ship/weapon CritD to 200.

I was hoping you could "squash it" and confirm its not true.

As a owner of CritDx4 space weapons (80mill each) I really hope this rumour is not true.

I guess I shouldn't be listening to rumours but cryptic does seem to have a record for making unpopular decisions.

Thanks.
Post edited by erikosss on

Comments

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Hi, I'll take this one.

I believe these rumors are being built upon an off-handed remark I made long ago regarding doing something similar for PvP Maps Only, way back when we were discussing potential changes to Surgical Strikes.

Allow me to state, for the record, that we have no intentions at this time to impose any sort of cap (hard or soft) on Critical Severity ratings.

There's always that tiny, distant chance that our intentions on something like this could change at some point in the future. But if such a change were to ever come to pass, we'd be sure to communicate it to the playerbase.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In regards to the changes to Surgical Strikes:

We arrived at these figures after a LOT of internal testing. Parsing using different weapon types, comparing to multiple different firing modes, in many various different weapon configurations.

In all of the tests we performed, even after the above changes, Surgical Strikes reliably outperformed every combination of Weapon Type and Firing Mode we tried, once the player had a reasonable amount of +CritH and +CritD.

Those "reasonable amounts" by the way were 15% Crit Chance, and +200 Crit Severity. Values reasonably obtained by many players, and hilarious outstripped by our high-end performers.

So, despite the reductions contained in these Patch Notes, we feel the ability is still desirable by players properly geared to get the most out of it. We encourage anyone interested in how this affects their performance to copy over to Redshirt and try it out for themselves. Your feedback is welcome. (Parses of before/after performance would be even better!)

But, but...you clearly said 200 CrtD was a reasonable amount! More than that would be unreasonable! :P

JOKING...JOKING...JOKING...heh, but that's likely the post that somebody probably read while half-asleep, intoxicated, and with dust in their eye to have thought you were saying anything about capping. :D
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi, I'll take this one.

I believe these rumors are being built upon an off-handed remark I made long ago regarding doing something similar for PvP Maps Only, way back when we were discussing potential changes to Surgical Strikes.

Allow me to state, for the record, that we have no intentions at this time to impose any sort of cap (hard or soft) on Critical Severity ratings.

There's always that tiny, distant chance that our intentions on something like this could change at some point in the future. But if such a change were to ever come to pass, we'd be sure to communicate it to the playerbase.

Those pvp changes ...are they coming soon?? In other words were the plans scrapped or are you still working on them etc.etc.
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • erikossserikosss Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much borticuscryptic for your reply. :)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi, I'll take this one.

^^ This I like. Straightforwardly asked, straightforwardly answered. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi, I'll take this one.

Thanks for the clear cut answer, Bort.

Any chance you could shine some light on those "PvP Maps Only" effects? It would do a great deal to alleviate a lot of PvP concerns (insanely high CrtH/D, PartGen damage, etc) that don't translate well over to PvE due to the massive difference between player and NPC hulls. It would also leave abilities unaffected for PvE for all to enjoy there.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Any chance you could shine some light on those "PvP Maps Only" effects?

The short answer is that many members of the PvP community didn't agree with this idea, nor a few other tweaks we'd tossed around (like big HP buffs for players on PvP maps, e.g.) ... and since no such changes would be easy/simple to make, we've pretty much back-burnered the concept until we can come up with something that PvPers agree would improve matters.

This discussion should probably be moved to the PvP subforum if you have further questions.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,875 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Those pesky PvPers never give up.

Get a clue PvP folks, you're not needed here.

As much as you may try to pretend there isn't...there is PvP in this game.

Do you really need OP stuff to survive PvE...that's player error...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    As much as you may try to pretend there isn't...there is PvP in this game.

Do you really need OP stuff to survive PvE...that's player error...

When the NPC's come on the forums asking for things to be nerfed, then we'll talk. :rolleyes:
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    When the NPC's come on the forums asking for things to be nerfed, then we'll talk. :rolleyes:

So in other words "Nah nah nah nah...we're OP and that's the way we like it?"

Having problems breaking 30k without OP powers?
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one" :rolleyes:

Define 'Overpowered'

After all, NPC's don't really care how fast we kill them... I'm less interested in HP bags however, and more in actually having to form strategies. So I'm enjoying the new level of complexities the latest enemy groups are adding.

P.S. I find it hilarious you accuse me of abusing what you consider 'broken' powers whenever the DPS channels have been do it forever. Every time something is 'fixed' they have to reset all the DPS channels.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The short answer is that many members of the PvP community didn't agree with this idea, nor a few other tweaks we'd tossed around (like big HP buffs for players on PvP maps, e.g.) ... and since no such changes would be easy/simple to make, we've pretty much back-burnered the concept until we can come up with something that PvPers agree would improve matters.

This discussion should probably be moved to the PvP subforum if you have further questions.

just for the sake of argument, how hard would it be for everyone's weapons to be set to leveless grade wile in a pvp match?

still think thats has the best chance at effecting positive change, because

-none existent gear mark wall of entry to pvp, rarity would still mater though
    -across the board baseline for damage is the ideal place to try to balance from, instead of anything between mk 12 and mk 14.
    -pre dr levels or weapon damage, + all the post DR crit and clicky creep, should balance out to feel more like decent pre DR pvp
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

Lol, since PvP players can't agree on anything, we're doomed.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing!
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Why would we try to have a conversation in that echo chamber.
    edited May 2015

No more doomed than anybody else. Remember the arguments over the Lobi Cats...cause folks wanted Lobi Dogs?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015

And the pve players can? No one agrees on anything around here!
    edited May 2015
    Only problem i see is getting one shotted in pvp... Until they fix that they have to balance a lot of things gear wise so we all on the same boat besides getting shot at and dying one-shot

Plus side I don't hate pvp I just never do it to has gotten less little play time I play other games now ^^.

Pvp never interested me in one bit but if you like killing someone over and over again be my guest gets Boring after awhile

just like grinding gets bored to I hardly play mmos anymore :) Right now I just play dynasty warrior 8 empires and other games that are not online I play some online but other then that nothing really interest me to say wow this is awesome game must play it to death

I also play games for pure entertainment then i get off take care of my life :)

Least in PvP you can play different people...how is PvE anything but that? You kill the same mobs under the same script over and over again :P
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And the pve players can? No one agrees on anything around here!

Not true! I do not agree with you...wait a second?
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I hate to say.. waiting for pvpers to agree on anything.. well you heard of phrase "till hell hath froze over."

You would be better of just doing the changes and see how things land.

Power creep is always going to be a issue in pvp.. and people who built their ships to instant vap people in pvp are not going to be happy with any type of change that will effect that.

So I say..just do the planed changes and see how the chips fall.
    edited May 2015
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashwinram

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/santiago-onta%C3%B1%C3%B3n/4/37b/a7

https://www.linkedin.com/in/manishmehta2

Ashwin's got a PhD from Yale.
    Santiago's got a PhD from the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
    Manish's got a PhD from Georgia Tech.

But uh, what games have they been involved in?

Got any papers or the like from guys like this?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/davemark
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/steverabin
    edited May 2015
    Yep again your complety missing the point never mind :)

You provided a link to a paper from a few smart guys....that don't work in the industry.

What point did I miss?

Whatever came of the projects from that paper, yeah?

What point did I miss?

And how is asking you to drop out stuff from folks actually working in the industry missing the point on a discussion of AI?

Now that's something I'm missing...
    I said that if the Ai was designed with good programming it can become good game.. what is so wrong with that

Ah...the quick edit.

What is so wrong about that? Well, it's subjective...no? What might be good for you might not be good for another, eh?

With the complaints around here, folks don't even want bad AI - they'd likely prefer no AI.

Ever see that episode of King of the Hill titled Good Hill Hunting? That's what a lot of folks around these parts want...
    edited May 2015
    I never said they work in the industry if you read then you understand ?

Do you not understand that the paper would have more value...had the ideas mentioned in it...actually led to something? As is...it's theoretical fluff. PhDs that pontificate on things are a dime a dozen. Folks that make things work...

...it's a question of credentials.

And another quick edit there...
    Think about it this way what you do everyday work go home play video game work go home play video games.. pay bills pay bills that don't change much the difference

its not they fault they design bad npcs.. Not my fault i played some really good games that play really good ai.. Not my fault you play games with bad ai

Back in the days gaming used to be good .. When i was in the 90s now well not so good not to many focus on improving the ai hey my cuz is in the army he can design a ai to adapt to your moves and beat you.. Ai can be very good if Design right that is how much you know about ai rofl

people need to learn to read before jumping and not understanding :P

People need to learn to communicate something if they expect people to read anything of it or comprehend it.

You start of with folks tend to have a pretty routine day with little difference.
    It's not their fault they design bad NPCs...who is they? Well, there are two they there. One they or two they?
    Good AI...bad AI...subjective, no? Also...kind of making assumptions, no?

Back in the day gaming used to be good - it's no longer good. That's subjective...it's your opinion.

The belief being that the reason games are not as good these days is because of a lack of focus on AI. Again, that's subjective, no?

You've got a brother in the military, who from the sounds of it is involved in the development of training simulators, eh?

And you finish by insulting that the guy knows nothing about AI - by once again stating your opinion that it's about AI, right?

So let's step back to the discussion earlier, yeah?

...said to another poster, but you offered the following reply...
    Only problem i see is getting one shotted in pvp... Until they fix that they have to balance a lot of things gear wise so we all on the same boat besides getting shot at and dying one-shot :)

Plus side I don't hate pvp I just never do it to has gotten less little play time I play other games now ^^.

Pvp never interested me in one bit but if you like killing someone over and over again be my guest gets Boring after awhile :)

just like grinding gets bored to I hardly play mmos anymore :) Right now I just play dynasty warrior 8 empires and other games that are not online I play some online but other then that nothing really interest me to say wow this is awesome game must play it to death :O

I also play games for pure entertainment then i get off take care of my life :)

...which is curious - given that one of the reasons folks often talk about PvP is because it is dynamic - yet you're painting it as something that is static and does not change?

...course they mention that in their reply...
    Least in PvP you can play different people...how is PvE anything but that? You kill the same mobs under the same script over and over again :P

...then we get your reply, again with multiple edits....
    Yep but it is still the same thing people.. That still dont change the fact :)

Think about it this way what you do everyday work go home play video game work go home play video games.. pay bills pay bills that don't change much the difference :)

its not they fault they design bad npcs.. Not my fault i played some really good games that play really good ai.. Not my fault you play games with bad ai :P

Back in the days gaming used to be good .. When i was in the 90s now well not so good not to many focus on improving the ai hey my cuz is in the army he can design a ai to adapt to your moves and beat you.. Ai can be very good if Design right that is how much you know about ai rofl

http://www.academia.edu/1527747/Artificial_Intelligence_for_Adaptive_Computer_Games

A conclusion that can be drawn from the previous list isthat not only can games benefit from better AI techniques,but AI can also benefit from the challenges that computergames provide. In the remainder of this paper, we willpresent three research projects that contribute to achievinga subset of these challenges. The three projects have thesame underlying theme of (a) easing the effort involved indeveloping computer game AI and (b) making them moreadaptive and appealing to the player.The first project focuses on a framework for runtime be-havior adaptation that aims at removing the responsibility of the authors to foresee all possible situations that can be en-countered during the game. The second project aims also atreducing the effort of defining strategic behaviors for real-time strategy games by extracting behavioral knowledgefrom experts using a system that can automatically learnnew behaviors from example of game play sessions. Finally,the third project aims at making the games more adaptiveto the players by using player modeling. The approach pre-dicts which sequence of events will be more appealing foreach player and influences the game accordingly through thedrama manager

Yep i know what i am talking about rofl.. if the ai was better they dont repeat stuff.

And that last line...you know what you're talking about? What are your credentials?

So basically, you've said that PvP is boring because it is always the same - and - if games had better AI, then it would never be the same...while saying you know what you're talking about.

So er...well...yeah...
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    there isn't so much as any reactionary if/then statements in play, let alone AI
    edited May 2015
    Problem with you is you want everything easy..

You have no idea what i said i did not say what people want wow you so dense :)

You cant say what people want because if that was the case every one would be happy but are they happy

I want everything easy? I said that where? You talk about people not reading what you've said? That's kind of curious.
    So it just ideas what wrong with that.. You act like its a big sin to want something refreshing :)

look, man, I been gaming for a very long time..

if you don't agree with something you don't like hey nothing perfect we all humans meant to learn it apart of life.

And the only reason I link that is to teach people about ai not to have a debate because in reality we all know that don't get us nowhere :)...

you are also wrong about no ai because I been gaming for so long since Nintendo days way before if you were around..The game has always been about the challenge. Rather people or Ai

if there is no challenge would you play the game no you would not..

PVP is good but people can be beaten no matter what just like Ai but I would rather have fun playing something I like .. Sadly pvp don't interest me in this game because of the gear balance if you read the other post.. Then he change my post and tells me about ai when I said nothing about it...

That is the problem with people today they don't know how to understand my post instead of trying to jump down my neck :)

So before you respond to what i said read.. I said nothing about people working in gaming companies I was just posting ideas.. Read please if not i would not respond to you

But again...what you linked...means diddly squat. Hence the reason I asked for you to link some decent material from people actually in the industry that know what they're talking about...

...but er - yeah - you've gone off on some delusional ramble that has little to do with anything anybody has said while saying nobody is reading what you're saying.

You're trying to pull of some appeal to authority while assuming everybody else around you is clueless...

...would you really expect anybody to do anything but /facepalm you in response?
    edited May 2015
    there isn't so much as any reactionary if/then statements in play, let alone AI

Maybe they're using a finite state machine with a hierarchy of atomic and composite goals while dealing with various logic checks to transition states as they attempt to complete those goals.

There are all sorts of things in play - whether they're pathing, acting aggressively, defensively, or the like - they're not just sitting their grabbing their ankles, as much as it may appear that they are just grabbing their ankles to some players.

Could be a behavior tree...could be all sorts of things. A FSM would make sense though...but who knows, eh? Well, they know...heh.

Have to keep in mind the intended audience for the game, yeah?

Think about the various complaints that have come about when they've tried to make the NPCs smarter, use more abilities, work better together, or the like...forums flood - harsh flood.

There most definitely is AI in play...an AI designed to provide some entertainment for the intended audience.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've never understood the mindless hatred of PvP and those that play it, and I don't even PvP.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Okay so...

the answer by borticus was very straight forward so /closed.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.