Install Arc
Options

It takes forever to get to lvl 60

2»

Comments

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My advice is to enjoy the ride. About half of the DR Episodes are non repeatable. Even after a char reaches 60.
    Not the first time I read that, and everytime it's along the line of "I had fun doing it my way, so should you".
    Well, no.

I have fun by doing the episode one after the other. When there are level gaps, I loose focus on the story, and it's annoying. Just like ads in the middle of your favorite TV show episode, right during a cliffhanger. Some might enjoy the ads, or like the fact they can make a break,... But I don't. I hate that.

Now, it seems a lot of people see it my way, according to the numerous post I've seen about lvling past 50. It's not fun for us. Glad it is for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My experience leveling my characters has varied. My main characters that had already completed all the storyline missions before the release of DR had the toughest time getting to 60. My biggest complaint is the large xp gaps between missions. There should be enough content to level you up and there isn't. It creates a very disjointed experience having to go back and do patrols over and over again to get to the next level just so you can do the next storyline mission. The time gate on patrols now makes it even harder. Particularly since xp is kind of hard to come by outside of patrols.

My secondary characters were a different story. I had skipped a lot of the storyline missions so I went back and did those first before jumping into the DR missions. This worked out pretty well since I was in the mid to upper 50s and didn't need to run around getting extra xp to gain access to the next mission.

Making a fresh character and leveling through the storyline is also generally a good experience as you are in the mid 50s by the time you get into the DR story arc.

So basically old characters that have done everything will have a painful leveling experience while new characters as well as those with little of the storyline competed won't have as many issues. That's my experience anyway.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Before DR leveling was fine. Thrue, it was (still is to 50) fast, but that is no problem. You cannot out pace the game, since you can replay missions, it doesn't matter really what level you are.

Now we are more in a classic game, where you have to do the content at a specific moment, when you have the right level. The level path is no problem for a first time experience, but is a let down when you reroll. It is like going to your favourite restaurant, but always have to sit at the same table and to eat the same menu.

As I said, you could not out pace the game, now the game out paces you. One of my characters is 30,000 point short of level 60. I still have unplayed missions since this character was made when KDF started at level 20. Guess which mission I still have to do, The long Night.

That mission gives for KDF a purple mk X item, for a level 59? A kind of a bug, which I posted about long time ago, because Fed get mk XI. Anyway, you have to play, more or less, old content. Content you moste likely skipped, because you had seen it and didn't want to see it again. If you don't, some content stays out of reach. That is a barrier since my 59+ character doesn't need more skills, better equipment, whatever, to do the content.

In my book the game went from a 9 to a 7 minor after DR.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    There is everything wrong with this argument. Everything.

There is no way whatsoever that any sane military or paramilitary organization would promote an officer as fast as Captain Player is promoted in STO. None, be it to Vice Admiral or Fleet Admiral.

Authenticity? Uh?

No, rank and level should just not be connected.

Quite right sir, if I still was captain I wouldn't care all I care I want to continue the story maybe they could lower lvl 60 story line down to 50 or lvl 55....
    Thats my question to the devs.

And yes I agree I find it obvious that there are more Admirals flying around then there are captains doing it I believe if they could take it this slow from captain I would appreciate it as a fan of star trek.
    But if they plan this I hope they drop the whole storyline to lvl 30 otherwise we can't play around anymore... LOLZZ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    that's working as intended, but then its hardly taking forever if you got from 55 to 57 in one week another week and a half and you will be there, isn't "forever" stretching the truth slightly?

I was happy to get 1 level with each of my characters a week to get to lv60 and that was just with the normal gameplay I had done before they made the change without using any boosts at all.
    but then I don't want everything yesterday, im glad it takes longer to level up past lv50, its just a pity they didn't make it longer to level up to lv50 while they were making the change.

all players seem to worry about is playing the story missions as soon as they can, you know once the story's are all played you`ll be moaning theres nothing to do anymore.

Still have plenty stuff to do get my starbase up and running get the gear I want and so on and so on so I wont get bored...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Like I said it's not the leveling I'm worried about it's the story.... Heck if I would be captain I would have fun.
    It's not the rank I must say and I said it before there are more admirals then there are captains flying around, a friend of mine who is in the army laught and said how the Devs thought about this, he said it should be the otherway around in star trek there should be more Commanders and captains then there are admirals.
    He said it's also not right with the timeline and story telling.
    Let me explain this before you get confused, In surface tension tuvok says the undine try to capture high ranked officers admirals and suchs. So why they try to kill me then I'm an admiral HELLO. thats a mistake...

But they should reconsider the whole ranking, like this maybe...

lvl 10 Ensign
    lvl 20 Lieutenant
    lvl 30 Lieutenant Commander
    lvl 40 Commander
    lvl 50 Captain
    Now it gets slow paced
    lvl 55 Rear Admiral
    lvl 60 Vice Admiral
    lvl 65 Admiral
    lvl 70 Fleet Admiral

And 55 true 70 is so slow going you have to be at least play a year to reach that or something that would balance the ranks but yeah what about the gear we have as an Admiral will we lose this or will we take this with us the way it is...
    also I think the whole story line just should be available after lvl 50 being a captain they never said sorry admiral my pursuit ends here but if you promote me to the next rank I can continue the story...
    Devs you really should think about this and I know about the WOW factor you guys are willing to give and that's fine but the rate they progress in story telling and leveling ain't fine !!!
    Devs I hope you read this and consider it !!!

So any ideas would be appreciated people !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    guilli88 wrote: »
    It's simple. The gameplay post 60 is so shallow and lackluster they have to force leveling to take as long as possible to keep people playing.

By the time people reach lvl 60 they'll be in the mindset of "but I've put in so much time into levelling, I can't possible stop playing now.

That's psychological torture.

Well said... :)

/10chars10
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ra's. don't spread or brace for nerf lol :rolleyes:...

kkbyethx
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Not the first time I read that, and every time it's along the line of "I had fun doing it my way, so should you".
    Well, no.

I have fun by doing the episode one after the other. When there are level gaps, I loose focus on the story, and it's annoying. Just like ads in the middle of your favorite TV show episode, right during a cliffhanger. Some might enjoy the ads, or like the fact they can make a break,... But I don't. I hate that.

Now, it seems a lot of people see it my way, according to the numerous post I've seen about lvling past 50. It's not fun for us. Glad it is for you.

Missed my point completely, did we? How very unsurprising.

I did not claim anywhere my way was the way the game should be played. I offered the examples of how I did things as a suggestion. I am sorry you do not enjoy the game any more. But I see no reason for you to get all huffy with me about it. Which is what the tone and syntax of your post quoted above communicates.

I am the last person to tell other people how they should play Star Trek Online. Over the years I have repeatedly told people to play the game how they like and not how someone else thinks they should. I will continue to do so until this game is shut down for good.

I did things the way I did them to avoid the pauses. To have my chars be a higher level and more effective in a particular episode. And I would do so again. I did the DOff thing on my Feds because someone once suggested to me it was possible and I wanted to see for myself. And since there was already a tremendous amount of bellyaching around here about the pauses between missions due to the lowered amount of XP awarded and the larger distances between levels.

But nowhere do I state my way is the best way or the only way.

BTW, I am delighted to find out I am having more fun than you are playing the game. It makes me very very happy in ways I cannot describe. I can only hope this trend will continue far into the future.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah ... thank god Life is not a Videogame ... (quoting a Transcendentalist within a Videogame is hilarious, though ... pretty sure Emerson is spinning in his grave right now ...)

@OP : according to Trendy (Community Manager), it's supposed to be adressed within the next weeks (so Fix incoming, hopefully) ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Two points:

A) You dont need those skill points to finish content

b) You dont need all of them trees filled up,just the two

So you basically asking for free skill points?
    Am i correct or did i miss anything?

Gee...peoples nerve these days,silver platter with skill points on your way,have a nice day :rolleyes:

They're not essential, granted, but the only way to get them is to spend hours behind a screen to get them, locking the majority of the people out. If this is a too hard concept for your tiny mind just say it.

Ps. No you're not correct. You zapped through what I read, failed to get what I meant and came up with TRIBBLE comparable to what I can see on ESD.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    wildweasal wrote: »
    I wait until xp weekends and take it from there. Until that weekend comes along I just doff those low end toons and keep it moving.

This is perhaps the best way to go about it. Just do what you do to enjoy yourself in the meantime and gather XP as you go, then once a weekend pops up push for those last few levels or just enjoy the increased payout.

I'm not a fan of post 50 levelling either. I don't mind it taking forever but it should be more consistent from 1 to 60. Either lower the amount of XP you need post 50, or increase the XP you need before 50.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    *snipped BS*

Again you failed. The fact that other MMOs do the error of introducing epic grinds does not mean STO has to. Heck it didn't even have the grind component before-DR. Now you just have to sit and do the same old stuff countless times to get a little spec point, and that progression is way too slow for the majority of the people.

But keep on glorifying your uber knowledge of MMOs. If one throws itself off a cliff I'm sure you'll do that as well, as it's not written anywhere that STO needs to do the same errors the majority of the MMOs does. War Thunder surely does not and guess what, they have thousands and thousands online players at once!
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the time it took me to level three toons to 60 I had 3 other toons level to 55-57 just from DOFF missions (No DR mission runs). By the time I finished my third toon I got so sick of the thing I deleted the mid 50's toons. Especially when I realized the gear grind I had to go through with upgrades and also my one science toon (Rom) had no access to T6 science ships.

I had 6 toons before DR hit and now I'm down to three. All of them are mostly leveling by DOFF assignments save for the one I focus on to do gear upgrades. And even that one I don't go to the delta quadrant for because of the burnout from leveling.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Give me the name of an mmo where everything is handed to you on a silver platter and you dont have to spend hours behind a screen to aquire (mounts,gear,skill points,vanity items,etc,etc).
    Seems you cant grasp the concept of what an mmo is,here let me help you,read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/MMORPG.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mmorpg

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=MMORPG

Now after waiting for 7 weeks for you to read the text in those links im waiting for you to name ONE mmo where you get handed everything and you dont need to login and do quest or missions to level up or get goodies.

Double dare you...

Waiting...

Still here...

Hmmm...any response?

Nah didnt think so,good luck with that thou and thanks for the tiny mind insult...although if i have a tiny mind with 2 different college degrees,one master and a huge life and world experience as i have been living all over the world (like 7 different countries) im wondering how the brain size of someone like you for example could be?

The word miniscule comes to mind but whatever...

Im done here enjoy your "grinding" and have a nice day.

Don't compare STO with cartoon games!
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think you've all been too spoiled from level 0 to level 50... :P

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe they should revamp leveling so that the hardest part is spread over the lower levels?
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Newer characters post Delta Rising aren't the issue. You can easily hit Level 56 by the time you finish the Breen arc through normal play (not just the story. I'm also talking the older Reputations, occasional patrol, etc).

The ones that hurt the most from the high leveling requirements were my older characters. Other than events, going back and finishing missed patrols, replaying adventure/battlezones, and side quests, there wasn't much to make the leveling grind less tedious. But thems the breaks, I guess. :(
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I don't disagree at all. XP gain post 55 is utterly pitiful. If you're not 58+ by the time you start the DQ arc, you'll hit level walls for the story, which is an enormous pain.

The level curve post 50 needs to be addressed IMO.

i doubt even if youre level 59 and half you still wouldnt reach level 60. pitiful doesnt even cover 1/1kk's worth of what is truly pitiful.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nikephorus wrote: »
    The time gate on patrols now makes it even harder. Particularly since xp is kind of hard to come by outside of patrols.

What time gates on patrols? I usually do 2-4 patrols either on 1 or 2 of my characters leveling them up. And that is doing them back to back. I don't see a time gate.

But then again, I don't do the same one over and over either. Not even before they fixed it to remove that. Since the players complained about it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    in my case i'd say delta recruit was a success because of all my toons that have stalled out at between level 53 to 57 my delta recruit was my 1st toon to actually hit 60.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Don't think anyone is asking for something handed to them. The XP curve is way off post 50 IMO. Some people do like to experience the story without arbitrarily being held back.

Yeah, it seems that from 1-50 the xp amount needed to level increases at a fair rate and general only goes up every 10 levels, and then from 50 the xp amount starts increasing per level and seems to be almost doubling when it does.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Being at Level 60 and having fully unlocked Spec trees isn't a requirement for having fun in this game, just go and play the game normally and you will accumulate experience and rank up over time, it's only a grind because you make it so (Picard reference). At least like this you have something to work towards over time instead of reaching full rank and being left with nothing to do.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At least like this you have something to work towards over time instead of reaching full rank and being left with nothing to do.

Except that from where I'm standing there is no difference between reaching full rank and being left with nothing to do and the spec point grind, becuase your still repeating the same stuff over and over again only this time theres a bar that may or may not fill up from it.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Except that from where I'm standing there is no difference between reaching full rank and being left with nothing to do and the spec point grind, becuase your still repeating the same stuff over and over again only this time theres a bar that may or may not fill up from it.

That's not a problem with STO that's just how MMOs work, no game developers can constantly be developing new daily content and missions around the clock,I've left behind many MMOs for that reason heck I've left behind many games in general for that, eventually every game becomes redundant. If you feel bored of the game take a break and then come back, perhaps you've just been playing too long.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    They make content at a good rate so no worries there, that said we already had content draughts before at least the players of season 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 no this after that it became a circus and a grind fest and now this... Wonder is the sto team really that small ....

Well gonna run on doffs like some suggested see how that goes meanwhile gonna do my new KDF....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And then some. It's soul-destroying and I'm probably going to abandon the toons that I've been trying to reach 60 with.