test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TOS cast in Star Trek 25th Anniversary re-release

davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,603 Arc User
I hope this isn't considered an ad, and I'm not linking to the site selling them.

Good Old Games (GoG) has gotten the rights to offer digital-download versions of the 1992 game Star Trek 25th Anniversary and its sequel Judgment Rites.

I'm posting this because I've never played them and didn't realize they had the full TOS cast doing voice acting. The graphics are very, very dated but people might want to play them for the voice acting and exploration-based missions.

IMDB entry (voice cast):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365786/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_25th_Anniversary_(computer_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Judgment_Rites
Post edited by davefenestrator on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,431 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    I don't remember any voice acting... then again I got the old disc versions and not the CD versions.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I still have my CD Rom MS-DOS disk
    :eek:

I miss the days where you had to type up all this stuff to start something. You damn kids today have is easy :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,431 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I miss the days where you had to type up all this stuff to start something. You damn kids today have is easy :D

Get off mah lawn ya young 'uns! :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2015
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Anyone remember this game?

Star Trek: Klingon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3vF9LXZePE
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Oh, that makes them even more interesting. Text-Only adventures without voice are a bit ... more difficult to swallow these days for me. We're all spoiled by the modern multi-million dollar budget games.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Still think Cryptic should do an Elite Force III as a tie-in/add-on for STO. Been waiting for a decent (i won't get into that piece of Targ Droppings that was released as a tie in to the new movies) Star Trek FPS game for ages!

Elite Force I and II were great games, would love to see an new/updated game based on the same premise.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Ha, back when many of the powers that be in gaming thought full motion video games were the future :)

A few scenes from 1999's "Birth of the Federation." The Klingons and Romulans were so OP in that game it was funny!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,603 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    Still think Cryptic should do an Elite Force III as a tie-in/add-on for STO. Been waiting for a decent (i won't get into that piece of Targ Droppings that was released as a tie in to the new movies) Star Trek FPS game for ages!

Elite Force I and II were great games, would love to see an new/updated game based on the same premise.

I only played Elite Force I but it was a fun FPS that did have the feel of a series of away team missions. They should do a HD remaster of it.
    edited May 2015
    Ha, back when many of the powers that be in gaming thought full motion video games were the future :)

A few scenes from 1999's "Birth of the Federation." The Klingons and Romulans were so OP in that game it was funny!

I keep hearing that, yet I always found victory faster and more easily achieved when ever I played the UFP.

He-he. It's still on my old PC. The one my wife uses. I should fire it up and play a fast Fed game. :D I remember one game where I build only fleets (many, many fleets) of Science Vessels. :eek: :)
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Kirk is at it again. http://imgur.com/i0ZMyDl
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't remember any voice acting... then again I got the old disc versions and not the CD versions.

Aye i played the original 5 1/4 but the cr version added voice acting
    edited May 2015
    I might have to pick up Judgement Rites again. That one was fun. The question is... how do you get around needing the book to navigate? Do they provide the book in digital format? And then... how to access while playing? Meh... I think I still got the book lying around in the box somewhere.

As for Elite Force being remastered... I can see someone trying to remake it using the Source engine. Someone redid Half-Life using that engine, and its now out on Steam under the name Black Mesa. For some reason I felt Elite Force 2 wasn't quite as fun. Probably because there were parts that were quite difficult even on easy. *Glares at the Idryll boarding of Enterprise and trying to sneak into the Romulan base* I DID enjoy the improved graphics though.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I keep hearing that, yet I always found victory faster and more easily achieved when ever I played the UFP.

He-he. It's still on my old PC. The one my wife uses. I should fire it up and play a fast Fed game. :D I remember one game where I build only fleets (many, many fleets) of Science Vessels. :eek: :)

It was simply due to the way Cloak Mechanics worked in BOTF. The Romulans and Klingons basically, with a full fleet of cloaked ships (B'Rel, K'Vort, etc) got a free initial strike since their ships would come out of cloaks and make very powerful attack runs. This made them very nasty and also very efficient. Efficient in keeping the fleets well stocked up in ships because opponents would commonly not survive the initial strike. Only a fully stocked fleet would survive but would take heavy casualties from the initial decloak. Even the stuff like Crystalline Entities or other single, powerful threats were child's play.

A squadron of simple B'Rels coming out of cloaks is more than enough to take down a Galaxy (Feds' best ship in the game, no Sovereigns that I can recall). I used to send detachments of these things to scout ahead and pick off stuff and cause havoc. They were very cheap, numerous, easy to maintain. If I wanted to give them teeth, I'd attach K'Vorts with them.

The Roms were like this also but even easier to play since I can't recall any of their major warships that weren't cloak capable.

Starfleet vessels were tough. I recall Galaxies holding their own the best if it was left on a 1v1 deal but that's not how we play wargames, don't we? ;) They needed that toughness because they faced more attrition. While a full fleet of cloaked Romulan/Klingon warships would kill the Crystalline Entity on the first pass, a full fleet of Starfleet vessels will still win but some ships would be blown up still since the Entity would get to fire at their non-cloaked ships. It was things like that that put a strain on Starfleet shipbuilding because they had to constantly replace losses.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Actually warmaker001b the soverign (spelling?) is in the game if I recall correctly. Top of the tech trees involved I think
  • blutark01blutark01 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    there is an updated version for birth of the federation, it uses 3d acceleration and is free to download, just google it. In combination with for example the ultimate dominion mod its still one of the best 4x games. The mod fixes most of the imbalances of the original, adds quite alot of things and replaces the ferengi with the dominion, which of course makes alot of sense!

Concerning the judgment rites copyright protection, if you dont want to have to look in your handbook,
    you only need it to navigate, so 1 alt-tab is enough for every mission^^
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I still love that game, unlike STO, that game archieved to get a really nice Star trek felling imo.

It's a shame they never made a good Star Trek open end RPG.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I still have my CD Rom MS-DOS disk
    :eek:

I even had to make a bootdisk with EMS to play the game :D

d:

cd games

cd TREKCD

trek.exe

Aaaaaah... *grunts in pleasure* XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvZDAtNDzPQ

And this isn't the earliest version. Space Warp came out in the late '70s / early '80s.

The programming might be more sophisticated, but it's basically the same game.

LOL jk That be like saying Chess and tic-tac-toe are basically the same game.
    edited May 2015
    I JUST saw that 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites, and Starfleet Academy are on Steam!
    IT IS A RESURGENCE OF TEH CLASSICS!
    Wonder if New Worlds and the Starfleet Command games will eventually make it to GOG or Steam...

Although SFC 3 kinda hates anything above DX9.0c so they would have to bypass or update that...
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I JUST saw that 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites, and Starfleet Academy are on Steam!
    Wonder if New Worlds and the Starfleet Command games will eventually make it to GOG or Steam...

Although SFC 3 kinda hates anything above DX9.0c so they would have to bypass or update that...
    NICE!

/10char
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Oh, that makes them even more interesting. Text-Only adventures without voice are a bit ... more difficult to swallow these days for me. We're all spoiled by the modern multi-million dollar budget games.

Speaking about "text-only adventures", I have taken a break from STO to re-play Morrowind using lots of mods to improve graphics and sound in the game and also many that affect game play itself. Most of the game involves a lot of reading especially if you want to read through most of the books scattered throughout the game world. Between Skyrim and Morrowind, I like Morrowind the most. Oblivion is a distant 3rd.

I only just noticed the new pilot ships today. I will likely consider buying them the next time there is a sale. I will likely update the game every Thursday just to keep up with new announcements. If the T6 BoP is released even though I am still in the middle of playing Morrowind, then I will buy it without a second thought.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Long Live the PC gaming of the 90's
    GwaoHAD.png
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited May 2015

LOVed this game. still have it, wish I could still play it. no other actor could have done Gowron so well.

another is Klingon Academy, which had to have had THE best manual EVah. be really nice if it could be redone with todays tech
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire