test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omega Upgrade Bug

billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I upgraded these engines with standard upgrades to Mk 14, and I'm using Omega upgrades to increase the quality level.

I upgraded them from VR to UR last night, and the Omega upgrades only gave 10% chance of a quality increase at VR, instead of 20%. I was hoping the upgrade would clear whatever the problem is, but it didn't.

Here the engines are at UR. The chance for a quality upgrade, with what's slotted, should be 3%, but its not. I don't really want to apply(waste) upgrades to fill the bar and show the 5% chance I expect it will:

http://oi60.tinypic.com/32zpeds.jpg
Post edited by billdun on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Back from the graveyard of Page Three.

It seems this bug affects not only the engines in the original post, but every piece of gear that's had a standard upgrade used on it.

Some music while we wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M

And a bonus bug for fun:

http://oi60.tinypic.com/34eb5sp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Back from the graveyard once again, and these upgrades are still broken.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    billdun wrote: »
    Here the engines are at UR. The chance for a quality upgrade, with what's slotted, should be 3%, but its not.

What information are you using as a basis for comparison, in order to make the highlighted assumption?
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Quality chance improvement at UR is 2.5%? Omega is supposed to increase that chance by a factor of four?

2.5 x 4 =10

I just upgraded this armor with Omega Upgrades. It shows 5%, not 10%. Am I missing something?

http://oi61.tinypic.com/352p3te.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Back from the graveyard of Page 20

I was able to replicate this problem on a new item, so nothing to do with previous use of Superior or Experimental upgrades.

It seems that upon reaching Mk 14, the chance for a Rarity upgrade is cut in half. I didn't experience that with Superior or Experimental upgrades. I couldn't find anything about that happening here. I checked the patch notes going back two months and nothing there. I checked the R&D Forum going back two months and nothing.

I started an upgrade with a new item, taking pics at each step. The first column, on the left, has the 20% you would expect. I believe the middle column's 9% is a UI error due to rounding(10% would be expected there). Have a look at the final row on the right. Shouldn't an Ultra Rare item, when using Omega Upgrades, have a 10% chance for a Rarity increase (2.5% x 4)?

Each upgrade being applied

The beginning item, and final results after each completed upgrade

I've had this happen on multiple items, Rare, Very Rare, and Ultra Rare.
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Items that are going for a quality improvement at Mk 14 obey certain special rules. Here is what is most likely happening.

* When you attempt a quality improvement, the chance to improve is based on the types of tech upgrades that you apply. If you mix and match upgrades, you'll get a blending of your upgrade chances.
    * The upgrade chances you get from the tech upgrades are then multiplied by a factor that depends on the item's current quality. By way of example, if you use a bunch of superior (non-experimental) tech upgrades, you will normally get a 2.5% chance to quality upgrade.
    * Omega tech upgrades have 4x the usual upgrade chance for their own tech points. Normally this isn't a big deal if you exclusively use Omega tech upgrades -- you get 4x the usual quality upgrade chance if you just use Omega upgrades.

Now here's the kicker: If you have previously attempted to upgrade the item's quality, or if you have leftover points from its previous upgrade, those roll over into the chance for quality improvement on the next completed upgrade attempt. Basically, when you upgrade the item from mk 13 -> mk 14, there may be leftover tech points that do not have the improved upgrade chance, depending on what kinds of upgrades you used. This could cause the item to have a lower quality upgrade chance because some of its tech points were rollovers from upgrades that didn't have the bonus chance to upgrade.

Once you've completed an upgrade attempt, those remaining points will be used up.

Note that when you are going for quality improvements at Mk 14, your chance for an improvement is retained if the quality improvement isn't rolled, so you'll wind up keeping whatever % quality improvement you already have and it will just continue to increase as you add more upgrades (as long as you don't use upgrades that have no quality improvement chance).

So what you see here is likely not a bug -- in fact, I just ran an upgrade of a fresh Counter-Command personal shield Mk IV UV with Omega upgrades just to make sure it all works as intended -- but the result of having rollover points from your prior upgrade.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jheinig wrote: »
    Items that are going for a quality improvement at Mk 14 obey certain special rules. Here is what is most likely happening.

* When you attempt a quality improvement, the chance to improve is based on the types of tech upgrades that you apply. If you mix and match upgrades, you'll get a blending of your upgrade chances.
    * The upgrade chances you get from the tech upgrades are then multiplied by a factor that depends on the item's current quality. By way of example, if you use a bunch of superior (non-experimental) tech upgrades, you will normally get a 2.5% chance to quality upgrade.
    * Omega tech upgrades have 4x the usual upgrade chance for their own tech points. Normally this isn't a big deal if you exclusively use Omega tech upgrades -- you get 4x the usual quality upgrade chance if you just use Omega upgrades.

Please look at the pictures. There was no mix and matching. I used exclusively Omega Upgrades, and did not get the 4x quality improvement chance.

jheinig wrote: »
    Now here's the kicker: If you have previously attempted to upgrade the item's quality, or if you have leftover points from its previous upgrade, those roll over into the chance for quality improvement on the next completed upgrade attempt. Basically, when you upgrade the item from mk 13 -> mk 14, there may be leftover tech points that do not have the improved upgrade chance, depending on what kinds of upgrades you used. This could cause the item to have a lower quality upgrade chance because some of its tech points were rollovers from upgrades that didn't have the bonus chance to upgrade.

Once you've completed an upgrade attempt, those remaining points will be used up.

Having the research points from 10% carryover getting used up isn't going to negate a full 50% of the potential upgrade chance.

Let's continue with the item where I left off. Please tell me how only 5% was added to the chance for a Rarity upgrade here:

5% to 10% (2.5 x 4 =5?)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Over 1,200,000,000(< yes, that's billion) Energy Credits spent on broken upgrades. I invite everyone to have a look at the pics and explain to me how 2.5 x 4 = 5
  • Options
    rheeparkrheepark Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Boom goes the dynamite!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Perhaps the information is spread out over too many posts. Let's consolidate things.

First, we'll verify the 2.5% chance of quality improvement for Ultra Rare items. Please note that for all item types, the chance for quality improvement at Ultra Rare is 2.5%:

Upgrade Tables

Next is the upgrade in question. Please note the "4x Quality Improvement Chance" in the item's description:

Omega Upgrade

We've established that the formula is 2.5 x 4 when upgrading an Ultra Rare item with Omega Upgrades. Google shows us that 2.5 x 4 = 10. Now, let's have a look at the results:

Mk 14 Ultra Rare item 5% to 10%

Google shows us that 10 - 5 = 5.

Given the previously presented facts, I invite everyone reading to explain how 2.5 x 4 = 5.
  • Options
    lilleandlilleand Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Its easy.
    You use upgrade accelerator of the tech point.

This gives double the tech points, but no more rarity points.

Soo u get to push upgrade in half the time, but you only get half the rarity upgrade chance.

In other words, you realy shouldn't have used that accelerator, when all u wanted was rarity upgrade.
    You should have used the rarity upgrade kind, this way you would have gotten +20% for rarity upgrade chance.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    lilleand wrote: »
    Its easy.
    You use upgrade accelerator of the tech point.

This gives double the tech points, but no more rarity points.

Soo u get to push upgrade in half the time, but you only get half the rarity upgrade chance.

In other words, you realy shouldn't have used that accelerator, when all u wanted was rarity upgrade.
    You should have used the rarity upgrade kind, this way you would have gotten +20% for rarity upgrade chance.

If that's the case, why does the same combination of Omega Upgrade and Major Tech Accelerator work exactly as expected at Mark 13 and below?

Edit - I had a knowledgeable member of this forum test these for me as well. On Tribble, when using Omega/Major Tech, 2.5 x 4 = 10 at all Mks.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    If that's the case, why does the same combination of Omega Upgrade and Major Tech Accelerator work exactly as expected at Mark 13 and below?

Edit - I had a knowledgeable member of this forum test these for me as well. On Tribble, when using Omega/Major Tech, 2.5 x 4 = 10 at all Mks.

Who ever told you that was wrong. Tech accelerators work exactly as lilleand explained and have been a known no-no when trying to upgrade. You do not need someone on tribble to test for you. You can see it in action for yourself. Take a mk 12 item and put a omega in the upgrade slot. Now add a tech accelerator and you will see the upgrade chance did not increase, just the tech points.

Use research boosters.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Who ever told you that was wrong. Tech accelerators work exactly as lilleand explained and have been a known no-no when trying to upgrade. You do not need someone on tribble to test for you. You can see it in action for yourself. Take a mk 12 item and put a omega in the upgrade slot. Now add a tech accelerator and you will see the upgrade chance did not increase, just the tech points.

Use research boosters.

Go up a few posts and look at the pics. I documented the entire upgrade process for a new, Mk 12 Very Rare item. Omega Upgrades and Major Tech Accelerators did exactly as they should at Mk 12, giving a 20% chance for a Quality upgrade (5 x 4). The item became Ultra Rare, and the chance at Mk 13 was 10%, also exactly as it should be (2.5 x 4).
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Go up a few posts and look at the pics. I documented the entire upgrade process for a new, Mk 12 Very Rare item. Omega Upgrades and Major Tech Accelerators did exactly as they should at Mk 12, giving a 20% chance for a Quality upgrade (5 x 4). The item became Ultra Rare, and the chance at Mk 13 was 10%, also exactly as it should be (2.5 x 4).

From my own experience, going from mkxii - mkxiv, reduces the possibility of a rarity improvement by 50% with each step.

So, as an example, the mkxii had the full 20%, than the mkxiii had a 10%, while maxed at mkxiv would again drop to only 5%.

This is the baseline chances, per mk# rarity chance but, like mentioned, they will keep adding up eventually at mkxiv with each failure!

Now, looking at the pics, it starts off at 5% at mkxiv, because you have almost no tech point spent into it but, once you maxed out the tech points, it achieved the 10% like it should have and, this is related to how tech points effect overall rarity improvements.

In other words, you have to have essentially full tech points, to gain the full % chance at a rarity improvement!

This is what I have come to understand pretty much, but my own testing and seeing, isn't 100% exact!

But, it is pretty damn close I am sure.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    It would appear the post meant to consolidate the information was a failure. I've added the last upgrade sequence to the pic of the entire upgrade process. You can see that here (4.59 MB)

Let's go over the pic. Note that from start to finish, the same Upgrade and Accelerator are used.

Let's look at the Mk 12 upgrade. A Very Rare item has a 5% Chance for Quality Upgrade, multiplied by the Omega Upgrade's 4x Quality Improvement Chance, and we get the expected 20%. Note the Major Tech Accelerator has no effect on Quality Improvement Chance, not cutting it in half as some claim should be the case.

The item increased in Rarity at Mk 13 to Ultra Rare. An UR item has a 2.5% Chance for Quality Upgrade. When multiplied by the Omega Upgrade's 4x Quality Improvement Chance, we should have a 10% chance for a Quality Improvement. The pic shows 9%, which I believe is a display error due to rounding. At any rate, its not 5%. Note again the Major Tech Accelerator has no effect on Quality Improvement Chance. There's also no drop in Quality Improvement Chance due to Mk level.

Now we're at Mk 14. The item is still Ultra Rare, so the conditions are the same as the Mk 13 upgrade, and we should have a 10% chance for a Quality Improvement. What we get instead is a 5% chance for a Quality Improvement. I repeat the sequence at Mk 14, and again, only a 5% chance for a Quality Improvement.

Its not the Major Tech Accelerator, as that showed no effect at Mk 12 & 13. Its not the Mk level itself, as that showed no effect at Mk 13. Its got nothing to do with carry over, the same upgrade and accelerator were used for the entire process. I see absolutely no reason why the chance for a Quality Improvement drops to 5% at Mk 14. The math doesn't support 5%, 2.5 x 4 ≠ 5.
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Closed at the request of the OP author: "After some searching, and discussing things with another member here, I've found that the culprit isn't what I thought it was. Omega Upgrades are fine, its the Major Tech Accelerator causing problems."
This discussion has been closed.