test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruiting Mission Replay seems not that popular

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
Maybe I am wrong, but it seems the counter for this week seems not too move aynwhere as fast as the ones the previous weeks. Mission Replay seems not that popular?

I am not sure if that is surprising to anyone, but in case it isn't obvious, it seems to me it's simply not popular because mission replay itself isn't rewarding on its own.

If you want skill points or Dilithiuim, playing missions you haven't played before, or doing something else entirely (Queues, DOFFing) is more benefitial. Even if you consider the theoretical chance of getting extra Dilithium the week after - you would still deal with a week where you pick one of the least effective ways of earning Dilithium, which would likely negate any benefits from the bonus week.

I am not sure if they just couldn't get it done in time , but it seems to me that having featured episode replay event would have helped more here than the Dilithium weekend. People will replay missions if they can get Lobi and limited rewards, because that is something that makes episode replay worth it.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would not know. I have been playing the new SWTOR 3.2 Rise of the Emperor Event. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    if they can get Lobi and limited rewards, because that is something that makes episode replay worth it.

Geko recently told us (P1 Podcast) that Lobis are basically off the table ... probably the reason why the last FE Replay was ~1,5 years ago ... so IF there is going to be another FE Replay Event, it's just for the Special Rewards ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't remember if they are, but if the other mission rewards are made available (Pimp cane, orb of possibilities, etc), it'd have a chance...
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes it is a problem. Mission replay is not a remotely viable way to do the various grinds. The poor rewards stifle the interest in doing anything but the quickest and easiest missions again and again. Very few are even actually worth replaying for the equipment rewards.

While many offer nice stories, they are less and less interesting the second, third, tenth time around. Also many missions are filled with blatant filler combat.

And some missions are just bad or not fun to play, like Step between Stars and the horrible Dyson Destroyer layout you have forced upon you, for example. Anything Elachi. The Vaudwaar supersoldiers have kept me from even bothering with the Delta line on more than the one character that already went through it.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The new Delta recruits would love the special rewards. They mentioned in that podcast that we may see it in the next month or two. Without lobi I guess we will not be spinning wheel and questioning Breen, but it will still be a great event. This replay after just finishing every single episode is not for me. Give me the shard and I'm all over it.

I have 3 characters now (50%) that need the shard and cane. One of these is actually my 'highest level' character. It's been too long.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'll at least pitch in with a Spectres Arc rerun, simply because I love those missions that much...but that's all I am going to promise.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I been busy still on my main 3 trying to get them to Lv60 and see the new content. :)
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey, I replayed Blood of Ancients to get the Resonant Transphasic Torpedo. I'll be replaying it for the DHC and Array next week. I'll be replaying it for the console the week after.

But er, other than that, um...well...yeah, basically every mission that the Delta Recruit just went through has already been replaying things for the gazillionth time already anyway...
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I took a break from my Delta Recruit after playing a few of the Cardassian missions. I'll get back on the horse tomorrow since I want to get the complete Jem'hadar ground set for one of my Boffs.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I leveled 3 toons for Delta recruit. That means I already played that content 3 Times. I wish it were Total Number of Daily rep boxes or daily queued event boxes earned instead. Without the FE rewards it is hard to want to rerun that content so soon and it feels more forces then something special.

Once you are ready to do reruns you are already at level 50 and are thinking about rep and fleet items for your character.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yeah, I haven't been to keen on the idea of replaying any of the missions unless they had something that you can only get one of each time... of the top of my head, the mission "Everything Old is New" so I can get a bunch of the [Retrofit Phaser Bank Mk ** [CrtH] [Dmg]]

Otherwise replaying missions has never been one of my favorites
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey, I replayed Blood of Ancients to get the Resonant Transphasic Torpedo. I'll be replaying it for the DHC and Array next week. I'll be replaying it for the console the week after.

But er, other than that, um...well...yeah, basically every mission that the Delta Recruit just went through has already been replaying things for the gazillionth time already anyway...

Remember when we used to get a new FE every week, and the rewards were just an added incentive to play them?

Now we're forced to play the same (time-gated) mission over and over again.

How far STO has fallen...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Remember when we used to get a new FE every week

You actually lived inside one of dstahl's dreams? Awesome! I envy you.

The "weekly" FE episodes we had were only for the 5 or 6 episodes they existed, and then there were months of time in between.
    It was never an actual weekly schedule, not even a schedule like a TV series.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL, almost 2 days into it and it's sitting at 20% towards Tier 1.

Hey Cryptic: Nobody gives a ****!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Of course they aren't. Most players just completed all those episode or a large part of it. I'm not going to play the same episodes again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not many reasons to do it, especially since there are no special rewards included like the ophidian cane or reman and breen boffs.
    I will only replay, but after dil event, that mission that gives you the jem'hadar boff, since at first play I had to choose between him and the jem'hadar ground set shields. Picked him and gave him the armor and rifle from the set previously aquired form the other episodes. So I will get the shield to complete the set.
    But thats about it...
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Some of my recruits are still on a first run. So what is there to replay for me. Thrue a self created situation, non-the-less, I rather spend time to finish a recruit then to replay with a finished one. While my 'finished' recruits have a lot of content ahead such as the Delta missions.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am not sure if that is surprising to anyone, but in case it isn't obvious, it seems to me it's simply not popular because mission replay itself isn't rewarding on its own.

It's hilarious, isn't it?

Cryptic has said that investing in episodes isn't worth it because people don't replay them enough. Of course, the episodes start with mediocre rewards and during replays they're reduced to, what, a fifth of what you get for a first run?

Why reduce the rewards when the missions scale to your level except as a deterrent for people replaying them?
  • Options
    elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be honest, it is not just about rewards. If most missions would have better and more creative design, if there would be better story telling, it would be worth... The one and only arc I have no problem to repeat many times is story with Devidians. Too bad the rest of STO has not its quality :-(
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited May 2015

That and a long narrative sequence isn't easy to grind. People quickly get through it on the first playthrough because there's a huge carrot (ie. the leveling system) dragging them through despite what you could say is a "drag factor" of frequent text interactions. But with the content simply there you have to enjoy it for its own sake to support frequent episode replays.

Some do, but many don't (hence the focus on easily repeatable content: PVE's, Battlezones, and Patrols for the bulk of one's playtime.) STO gamers are certainly not alone in this, but it none-the-less makes this next series of targets a little dubious to reach (which may be why a dilithium-boost was chosen as the payout.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty sure this is working as intended. The one thing Cryptic controls with an iron fist is Dilithium. I'm sure their metrics probably show that people rarely replay episode missions. So it would just appear like they want to give us more Dil...silly rabbits Dil is for Cryptic and people who trade Zen for Dil :P
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    None of the missions are worth repeating for the reward next week.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well they got greedy on the first week and narrowly denied us the next tier.

The next week moved much slower as people were still mad.

The 3rd week coincides with my tedious grind to Starbase level 2 to get the Fleet version of a ship I paid real money for in their DR pack, so recruits have been helping with the ridiculous requirements (77 tac DOffs, really)

No time for Delta recruits so far, maybe tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well they got greedy on the first week and narrowly denied us the next tier.

The next week moved much slower as people were still mad.

No time for Delta recruits so far, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

They wasn't greedy. The players failed to hit the mark. Take into account. Spring break was also that week. So many players was not on due to vacation or etc. The game set a goal, and the players failed.

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    They wasn't greedy. The players failed to hit the mark. Take into account. Spring break was also that week. So many players was not on due to vacation or etc. The game set a goal, and the players failed.

You misunderstand the role of Game Master,

To provide a fun game.

Close enough is close enough for the sake of fun.

Play too hard and fast to the rules and you get a hard and fast (and lackluster) response.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

To provide a fun game.

Play too hard and fast to the rules and you get a hard and fast (and lackluster) response.

So in a sport, if the player didn't make the goal by inches or a foot. So they should get the point anyways. :rolleyes:

• Options
    edited May 2015

To provide a fun game.

There are many people that think that a game master that breaks the rules just so that the players can win is doing it wrong, making all the efforts of the players feel hollow and meaningless.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Maybe I am wrong, but it seems the counter for this week seems not too move aynwhere as fast as the ones the previous weeks. Mission Replay seems not that popular?

If you want skill points or Dilithiuim, playing missions you haven't played before, or doing something else entirely (Queues, DOFFing) is more benefitial. Even if you consider the theoretical chance of getting extra Dilithium the week after - you would still deal with a week where you pick one of the least effective ways of earning Dilithium, which would likely negate any benefits from the bonus week.

I am not sure if they just couldn't get it done in time , but it seems to me that having featured episode replay event would have helped more here than the Dilithium weekend. People will replay missions if they can get Lobi and limited rewards, because that is something that makes episode replay worth it.

essentially this is a minor reward for a week to grind, grind, grind previous missions you already done and burn the wick out on them. its something of a bad call and it seems cryptic has forgotten already the argala uprising and the late nerf...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    With my two dc toons and the missions they have done I'm finding it hard to find missions I want to redo that I've done already on those toons.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yep, this one is flopping hard. Maybe too much of a big ask.