test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What IS going on.

mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
So just curious what is actually going on with the servers. I hear everyone complaining of lag and rubber banding, yet I have none, with the slight bounce once every hour. And it's not even that I have good stuff I'm using clear, a network that technically doesn't exist anymore, and an acer aspire. No where near top stuff, so what IS going on? I'm not presuming everyone has gaming computers and good networks, but I know a few do, and some of those people can't even play so... Wth?
[SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
stoutes wrote: »
Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
Post edited by mynameisnom on

Comments

• Options
    mrsinister82mrsinister82 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I put down major lag and rubber banding to my old computer, as my net connection is fine.

However, im now running a gaming beast, and still, Infected space, Khitomer.... etc.... the usual culprits are lagg central.

So... ive literally no idea but, the game is wearing very thin on me (and plenty of other people) due to this very problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I put down major lag and rubber banding to my old computer, as my net connection is fine.

However, im now running a gaming beast, and still, Infected space, Khitomer.... etc.... the usual culprits are lagg central.

So... ive literally no idea but, the game is wearing very thin on me (and plenty of other people) due to this very problem.

It can't be DDoS AFAIK since not everyone is affected, so I'm guessing its a regional issue?
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    UK here.

Surely though, crytpic would be aware if it was a regional issue(and do somthing about it) .

Mind you..... it is Cryptic. lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    UK here.

Surely though, crytpic would be aware if it was a regional issue(and do somthing about it) .

Mind you..... it is Cryptic. lol.
    Cryptic cannot do much about regional issues, other then report them. They cannot make dozens of ISP companies reroute their clients if the ISPs do not wish to do it. There is money to be made routing people through various hubs and whatnot so ISPs are not quick to change things. Cryptic is at the mercy of the internet just like everyone else.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It can't be DDoS AFAIK since not everyone is affected, so I'm guessing its a regional issue?

Dunno. Same ppl say its some skills/traits the reason of lags, but then why lag in New Romulus when u tag epohhs?:confused: And no lag in other ground maps like Brotherhood of the Sword.
    And I got massive lag in defera too yesterday while farming for a fractal remod, just in case as a backup when i get bored of TR rifle. But then again that zone was allways laggy and buggy...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, true.

I do play on two different connections as well, my own and my partners.

We both pay through the nose for them, both get the same lag (was fine before they released delta), delta made it laggy, but still playable, the latest has made it virtually unplayble, also, STO is the only game with issues as bad as this (which we play, thought id better add that).

And i Play DAYZ for christs sakes. lol :D.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    what I have here now is due to something regional ( the netherlands ) b/c it was just fine yesterday and most of today . I blame it on "Kingsday " ( all schools have a day off ) :D
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Aside from a handful of exceptions I haven't suffered much lag. I'm not saying that to gloat, merely to report that whatever is causing this problem it is affecting some, not all.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My connection in general is terrible, but I haven't been having much trouble with STO. Looks like there's something wrong with a specific part of the route for some people? One section of the Interweb Tubes is jammed?
  • Options
    fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you're not suffering lag, try playing Starbase 24 (assuming you can get enough people together), and report back. That has been the poster child for BAD lag for ages now. To my knowledge no one even queues anymore.

It's pushed me right out of the game, frankly. I don't know what is causing it, and I really don't care. All I know is that if they expect people to play the game, they had better fix it.

This really needs to be top priority. No one will care about any of the "cool" new stuff they add to the game or the store if they can't actually play the game.

I have already stopped playing the game. Just waiting to see if they acknowledge the problem with Thursday's patch. Else it's bye bye sto.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    fudgemonk wrote: »
    I have already stopped playing the game. Just waiting to see if they acknowledge the problem with Thursday's patch. Else it's bye bye sto.

I said this 2 Thurs ago & haven't even patched S10 because I doubt it'll be a better experience for me. I voted w/my wallet & another MMO won.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't believe for one second that the lag in the game is a latency issue, it's not.

It's a coding issue, it's a mix of things.. but ultimately I subscribe to the theory that Star Ship Traits are a big cause. Remember earlier when using the Dauntless Trait with another trait (I think it was Eclipse) would cause your entire team to crash? Certain traits don't play well with one another.

I have experienced lag periodically, nothing near what some people have reported, the game has been playable at all times. It has however, been enough to be discouraging at times. I know it's a combination of traits and abilities because if I'm in an STF and it's laggy, I leave and join a different team and it's fine.

I can play the game on my laptop from work tethered to my iPhone over 4g and it's still perfectly fine. Latency isn't a problem, everyone wants to yell at the ISP, but the issue is coding. If you don't hit the combination of powers/traits/effects or whatever is causing it.. you generally won't have lag. You can play this game over a cell phone connection and it's just fine most of the time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i'm from france, 100k cable connection. i don't have lag or rubberdanding except in some parts of the game:

- dsyon ground battlezone
    - undine ground battlezone
    - stfs: ISA, KVA (ISA -> the worse), sometimes CCA, and fleet alert.
  • Options
    fletchervansefletchervanse Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't believe for one second that the lag in the game is a latency issue, it's not.

It's a coding issue, it's a mix of things.. but ultimately I subscribe to the theory that Star Ship Traits are a big cause. Remember earlier when using the Dauntless Trait with another trait (I think it was Eclipse) would cause your entire team to crash? Certain traits don't play well with one another.

I have experienced lag periodically, nothing near what some people have reported, the game has been playable at all times. It has however, been enough to be discouraging at times. I know it's a combination of traits and abilities because if I'm in an STF and it's laggy, I leave and join a different team and it's fine.

I can play the game on my laptop from work tethered to my iPhone over 4g and it's still perfectly fine. Latency isn't a problem, everyone wants to yell at the ISP, but the issue is coding. If you don't hit the combination of powers/traits/effects or whatever is causing it.. you generally won't have lag. You can play this game over a cell phone connection and it's just fine most of the time.

I second that, major lag spikes only come in certain situations during combats for me.
    In ISA, for instance, lag/freezes increase each time we engage a transformer, worst cases during the second one collapse where i can get game's freezes of 3 sec or more. It's like if the server ressources allocated for that instance were totally overloaded by an infinite loop.
    I even tried an ISA alone and got the same problems at the same moments but less stronger

Used AHOD, pedal to metal, supremacy and tactical retreat ship traits for info.

Outside that, like in social zone, i'm only getting some rare classic rubberbanding effects. Outside of some DDOS attacks ofc. :)
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Part of the issue is that a lot of players don't pay enough attention to actually notice the lag.

Some of the lag issues people have are things like boff abilities going on cd without actually firing, which you can tell if you don't see the normal animation or notice that the cd is much shorter than usual. But if you're not really looking then you won't notice.

Another issue is weapons not firing in the proper sequence. Again, you'd have to know what the proper sequence is and be looking at your weapons to notice them not going off.

Another issue is weapons just plain not firing. People who don't have weapons on autofire (or who do have them on autofire but think they're firing even when they've stopped because the little icons are still blinking) won't notice this.

Etc.

There are still *lots* of players who don't know that using the keybind commands for "fire all weapons" and "distribute shields" will mess up their weapon cycling if pressed at the wrong time. And this issue is right there, in every space battle, right in front of their faces, and has been around for years. My guess is a lot of people aren't looking closely enough to see some of the problems that they might already be having.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay, one more time...

Your data passes through various Internet nodes on its way from your computer to Cryptic's only server farm. The last few of these are owned by Cogent Communications, which appears to be the only "broadband" provider in Cryptic's area (quote marks because I've heard bad things about their infrastructure).

Some of the nodes just upstream of Cogent are owned by Level 3 Communications, a Verizon subsidiary. And since Net Neutrality still isn't a thing here in the States, Cogent is still feuding with Level 3, trying to make them dip into Verizon's coffers to pay extra for high-speed access to Cogent's nodes. Every so often, as part of this feud, Cogent will deliberately throttle Level 3's access to their data streams. This is noticed by the end user as lag.

Note that this isn't the only cause of lag in Cryptic's games - but it's a pretty major contributor, especially with the FCC's Net Neutrality regulations currently under construction (giving Cogent a deadline, albeit an unclear deadline, as to when they can force Level 3 to sign an agreement to pay them more).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    >sigh< Why do I bother?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Some of the nodes just upstream of Cogent are owned by Level 3 Communications, a Verizon subsidiary. And since Net Neutrality still isn't a thing here in the States, Cogent is still feuding with Level 3, trying to make them dip into Verizon's coffers to pay extra for high-speed access to Cogent's nodes. Every so often, as part of this feud, Cogent will deliberately throttle Level 3's access to their data streams. This is noticed by the end user as lag.
    Assuming this is in fact the case (further research will be required) it's an extremely stupid - and generally rude - thing for Cogent to be doing; one could argue they're interfering with the ability of L3C's customers to conduct business... which I suspect they could file suits over.
  • Options
    koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I imagine that the remaining lag in the code is something they're still looking at, considering they've been at it for weeks now.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Assuming this is in fact the case (further research will be required) it's an extremely stupid - and generally rude - thing for Cogent to be doing; one could argue they're interfering with the ability of L3C's customers to conduct business... which I suspect they could file suits over.

You haven't been following the Net Neutrality thing at all, have you? :P

None of our contracts with ISPs have minimum bandwidth guarantees. The freedom to throttle based on whatever criteria is exactly they reason they've spent millions buying up ignorant politicians.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Just did SB24 solo, then with my fleet mates. Only two had issues, but they were minute... As for other areas I'm fine, the only real time I've lagged badly is pre-season patching but besides that,nada
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    You haven't been following the Net Neutrality thing at all, have you? :P
    Yes, I have, actually. I'm just saying that this is a case of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'; that Cogent's actions aren't exactly winning them any friends. They are, as noted, knowingly interfering with the ability of L3C's customers to conduct business... maliciously so, given that Cogent sees that as a way of sticking it to the other provider.

Contract or no contract, what Cogent is apparently doing is bad form all around... and I am certain they'd complain loudly were the tables turned.
  • Options
    suzanna3suzanna3 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Disconnecting from game often today....usually I do not have this problem. [In UK]

singularity_zps539276de.jpg
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited April 2015
    So just curious what is actually going on with the servers. I hear everyone complaining of lag and rubber banding, yet I have none, with the slight bounce once every hour. And it's not even that I have good stuff I'm using clear, a network that technically doesn't exist anymore, and an acer aspire. No where near top stuff, so what IS going on? I'm not presuming everyone has gaming computers and good networks, but I know a few do, and some of those people can't even play so... Wth?

you will see it periodically in pve que games, the worst of it is the space combat

it's really something to see, it's pretty horrible

and, people claim that when they form private groups and don't use proximity traits and traits with other complex dependencies it goes away 100%

so

most likely it's bad code with crappy testing from a too-quick design cycle and shortsighted management

I have to say, the people making this game are good at promotions but they don't invest back in the game

the game is turning into click-bait style advertizing

you know, where there's an add with something attractive but when you click on it what you actually get is sub-par

the quality level of the game is rotting over time

EDIT: mind you, my guess is that is more related to priority setting and scheduling, not that "the coders are bad" or something like that
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay, one more time...

Your data passes through various Internet nodes on its way from your computer to Cryptic's only server farm. The last few of these are owned by Cogent Communications, which appears to be the only "broadband" provider in Cryptic's area (quote marks because I've heard bad things about their infrastructure).

Note that this isn't the only cause of lag in Cryptic's games - but it's a pretty major contributor, especially with the FCC's Net Neutrality regulations currently under construction (giving Cogent a deadline, albeit an unclear deadline, as to when they can force Level 3 to sign an agreement to pay them more).

wait if Cogent are doing that, surely thats a breach of contract...rights of the client etc.
    Intentionally throttling connections... how pathetic. Punish the users to get at a rival company. twats. utter twats. glad thats illegal in the UK lol but I wish it was illegal in the US right now then maybe we wouldnt have this problem.. lol
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay, one more time...

I suggest an Airstrike.

I'm sure there's a local Air National Guard that could use the maneuvers nearby.

There would be a slight wait while things are rerouted around the smoking crater that was cogent.

The rest of the network would play nice after a Show of Force.

My local cable company urges people to "bundle" services. One of their 3rd shift techs admitted that this cuts into your broadband.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It's not a breach of contract, because as was mentioned above, the contract merely specifies that internet services will be provided - no particular rate of data access is guaranteed.

Incidentally, Cogent and Comcast were the two ISPs specifically called out by name when the chairman of the FCC was citing his reasons for enacting Net Neutrality rules.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not a breach of contract, because as was mentioned above, the contract merely specifies that internet services will be provided - no particular rate of data access is guaranteed.

Incidentally, Cogent and Comcast were the two ISPs specifically called out by name when the chairman of the FCC was citing his reasons for enacting Net Neutrality rules.

Will update target acquisition to include comcast facilities.

When is this Net Neutrality regulations torpedo supposed to hit the fan?

I know something else that needs to be throttled.