test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

the breen. who. who. i realy want to know

zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
who are the breen. Im thinking.
Vulcan off shoot.
so the romulans don't want to take on the teachings of Surak and moved off planet. to just stay violent. pretty much.
but what if another faction went the opposite way and focused on there aggressive side rather then there peaceful side.
form what I can work out form the sto map. i think the breen world and the romulan world where prtty much equle distance from Vulcan. in completely opposite directions.

also the ships of both. romulan clock/dagger and breen battle/brute force.
what do you people think.
I cant brain I have the dumb
Post edited by zzzspina01 on

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Breen? They're targets. That is all that matters.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zzzspina01 wrote: »
    who are the breen. Im thinking.
    Vulcan off shoot.
    so the romulans don't want to take on the teachings of Surak and moved off planet. to just stay violent. pretty much.
    but what if another faction went the opposite way and focused on there aggressive side rather then there peaceful side.
    form what I can work out form the sto map. i think the breen world and the romulan world where prtty much equle distance from Vulcan. in completely opposite directions.

also the ships of both. romulan clock/dagger and breen battle/brute force.
    what do you people think.

I have a feeling the Breen are Star Trek's version of the Mandalorians - a confederacy comprised of several species, all hidden behind masks. Mercenaries with a strict military-esque chain of command structure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    morden613morden613 Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Breen are Star Trek's version of the Mandalorians - a confederacy comprised of several species, all hidden behind masks. Mercenaries with a strict military-esque chain of command structure.

That's exactly what it is, according to the books.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My understanding, they exist in sub zero temperatures, so I think they would be more like the Andorians, than Vulcan. They wear climate controlled armor, because anything above freezing is harmful to them.
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I recently re-watched the latter half of DS9, and (if everything said on-screen was true), they're even more of an enigma than the game makes them out to be. Dr. Bashir at one point says that they don't have blood (or, at least, the one he was trying to test didn't; this doesn't rule out the idea of a multi-species confederation), and Weyoun practically taunts Damar with an assertion that the Breen homeworld is actually temparate, and even the Dominion doesn't know why they wear refrigeration suits.

Certain sympathetic Breen medics aside, I'm inclined to agree with warmaker.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    morden613 wrote: »

Woot!

Which books? Aside from a few choice TNG titles, I've read most of the TOS ones...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    Woot!

Which books? Aside from a few choice TNG titles, I've read most of the TOS ones...

Probably the Typhon Pact books. If I recall correctly, the Breen are trying to steal one of the Quantum Slipstream Drive ships that Starfleet developed and Ezri Dax has to save the day.
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It strikes me that the Breen have this very Star Wars'ish helmet...
    No?
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I always pictured Breen looking like humanoid tofu without the suits. Not sure why.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    No?

Princess Leia, Return of the Jedi..... Correct.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ive always pictured them having a canine appearance. the snout of the helmet suggests as much.

the fact that they run subzero environmental bridges and always wear a refrigerated ev suit definitely makes it unlikely they are a multi-species confederacy.
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No?

Because they're holding THERMAL DETONATORS!!!
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    morden613 wrote: »

Yeah a great read those books. They also have a far better story than STO could ever muster up. :D
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hmm, popsicles... living popsicles...
    Or, as per Event Horizon (1997): corpse-icles...
    Hilarious....
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    SFDebris put forward an excellent theory once, that I think has real merit.

You may recall the ENTERPRISE episode, "Dear Doctor." In that episode, Archer was approached by a race, dying from a disease. On the planet was a second, less advanced race. Phlox and Archer chose to not interfere in the "natural" course of things. In theory, the advanced race would die and the lesser one would flourish, to reach their potential.

SFDebris put forward the idea that the more advanced race survived, donning environment suits and harboring a deep resentment toward humanity. They became the BREEN. The lesser race still found their place in the universe. Now, they look for things. Things to make them go.

As bull as that may be, I'm totally adopting it in my personal view of ST canon. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    SFDebris put forward an excellent theory once, that I think has real merit.

You may recall the ENTERPRISE episode, "Dear Doctor." In that episode, Archer was approached by a race, dying from a disease. On the planet was a second, less advanced race. Phlox and Archer chose to not interfere in the "natural" course of things. In theory, the advanced race would die and the lesser one would flourish, to reach their potential.

SFDebris put forward the idea that the more advanced race survived, donning environment suits and harboring a deep resentment toward humanity. They became the BREEN. The lesser race still found their place in the universe. Now, they look for things. Things to make them go.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/e113.php

Skip ahead to 11:45 for the "theory" I've described, but I recommend you watch the whole review. SFDebris' work is outstanding.

That's just awesome right there,... I like it. I am also adopting it,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Breen are better off as a mystery to me

And STO's attempt to explain more of how their race and philosophies work was a little disconcerting to me

As a race worthy to serve along side the Dominion to help re-claim the Alpha Quadrant, they most be hella powerful and resourceful, and even the Vorta and Founder knew very little about them and they should know EVERYTHING with who they are dealing with
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No?

Like Leia's disguise in Return.
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You know kit and dukat should know what they look like. They knocked a couple out and stole their suites when the rescued zial.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    My understanding, they exist in sub zero temperatures, so I think they would be more like the Andorians, than Vulcan. They wear climate controlled armor, because anything above freezing is harmful to them.

yes, and sometimes they say: it's too hot here
  • Options
    timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Zero Sum Game is the Typhon Pact book to read if you want some softcanon on the Breen. A lot of the book is set on a Breen world. To sum it up, the suits are a way to eliminate prejudice as they can't judge each other based on their species, they get judged on their abilities. Though in a later book (I think Plagues of Night), a Breen guy says to himself that some species are more suited to certain jobs anyway, eg the sub-zero temperature people for serving on starships.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ive always pictured them having a canine appearance. the snout of the helmet suggests as much.
    In the books, one of their five species is canine.
    And since the whole point of always wearing those suits in public is to avoid racial dicrimination, everyone has to wear those snout helmets.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No?
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I always pictured Breen looking like humanoid tofu without the suits. Not sure why.

No, you heard him. They all look like Princess Leia underneath it but, like some earth cultures, don’t want everybody to see.

Think Dukat also mentioned once that the climate on the Breen home world isn’t cold or anything but rather quiet hospitable so I leave it to your imagination how they run around there.

Think we solved the mysteries about the Breen confederacy now. :P
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is also an inconsistency regarding the Breen. In one episode, I think It's either O'Brien and Kira or Dukat and Kira that overwhelm a few Breen Guards and put on their uniforms. So they clearly know how the Breen look under it. But in a later episode it's claimed their looks are unknown.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If I recall correctly, as soon as Dukat and Kira opened the suit, the Breen's body disappeared (evaporated). I have always considered the Breen to be on the opposite end of the spectrum as the Tholians. I had at one point started a fan fic that I titled "Fire and Ice" that would have told the story of the Federation being caught in the middle of a conflict between the two powers.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Dudes, this is Star Trek, forget about Leya.
    Men... one track mind....

AND YES I AM ONE TOO!
    Hence I know. :P
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lets face it (no pun intended) but their mysteriousness is nothing but a myth. We're essentially saying that nobody within any of these major factions has ever seen what's under the helmet of a Breen? C'mon, really? :rolleyes:

We've a universe filled with aliens, many of which have probably fought the Breen on the Ground. Doesn't anyone think that (after a battle) the victors would have taken a look at one of the fallen Breen?

It's a plot device only, though obviously it remains a mystery to us, and I think it should stay that way. To disclose what the Breen truly are takes away from their unique status. Leave them be.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Who says they don't turn into soup, once they're mobile freezer is opened?
    Heat can do weird things...