test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Brotherhood of the sword too difficult

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
Brotherhood of the sword too difficult even on "easy mode".
Communication seems to be a problem on it, when getting players to deactivate the iconian tech in a number of seconds.
Also the heralds weaponry is way over powered against level 14 gear.
The easy mode is more like advanced so far to high in difficulty.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,106 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lol im using level 12 gear and it's doable for me on Elite.

Only problems im having is with those damn side missions... "Save the Syndicate operative".. you have 5-10 seconds before he's killed. :mad:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Communication seems to be a problem on it, when getting players to deactivate the iconian tech in a number of seconds.
    Also the heralds weaponry is way over powered against level 14 gear.
    The easy mode is more like advanced so far to high in difficulty.

The problem is not the mission, because the space combat was very easy. I would recommend you ask around for some build and piloting advice.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »

Too difficult on "easy" ?

All you have to do is click 3 Items and survive for ~20s ... repeat 4 times ... done ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You have to wait in the shuttle before the mission start. Use that time to formulate a plan.

Multiple strategies work, as long as everyone is following it. You can shoot the initial enemies first, once they'er clear, one guy deactivates the first piece of tech, while the other four split up in two pairs. Since there's two other locations where tech has to be deactivated, that leaves one guy shooting and drawing aggro, one guy to perform the task of deactivating the Iconian technology.

Or you can ignore the first group of enemies and just deactivate the tech immediatly, whatever you do, make sure everyone's following the same strategy as you actually need each other and work as a team. Which is a good thing.

Which also means that you may have to give advice to your teammates. It's a new mission after all and most people are used to simply shoot everything they see and then start wondering what they have to do and what the mission's objectives are (take infected ground and space as an example, it's often shoot first, think and look around / check the situation later).

It may be hard, but these are the ultimate bad guys. Simple strategy can make it very easy though, as long as everyone knows what he's doing and as long as you've got someone in your team who can take a few hits, heal or draw aggro.

Edit: what most people may not know yet: you can disable Iconian tech even if you're fired upon. Unlike everywhere else in the game, your actions don't get interrupted if someone shoots you. Considering the little amount of time available I'm assuming this is intended.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Heard this mission requires coordination. Good luck finding that in pugs.

In my experience, many aren't even aware team chat exists. Or the chat window is minimized (sometimes by accident).

Well ... that's more of a "generel" problem ... but the "Tactics" are as complicated as answering questions about "flying pigs" ...

All you need is one more guy who knows what he's doing ... pugged it twice ... guess I was lucky ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015

In my experience, many aren't even aware team chat exists. Or the chat window is minimized from their first run (often by accident).

Very much this.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Lol im using level 12 gear and it's doable for me on Elite.

Only problems im having is with those damn side missions... "Save the Syndicate operative".. you have 5-10 seconds before he's killed. :mad:

Agreed on that... it also doesn't help that you have no way of knowing what the side mission will be. It can be release the targs, or save some operative.

But then again, if you have two people head for the targs and two for the operative, it should be doable as well. Same problem here: most people simply shoot the first thing they see, which is often the large group of enemies near the first Iconian tech in that part of the mission.

So yeah, bottom line: divide some tasks and work in pairs. Don't have four people shooting one group of enemies and leave optional objectives to be completed by one guy who then gets killed. Don't keep mindlessly shooting stuff but take note of the objectives and make sure everyone knows his or her task.
  • Options
    stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sysil84 wrote: »
    The problem is not the mission, because the space combat was very easy. I would recommend you ask around for some build and piloting advice.

Brotherhood of the sword is a ground mission. nothing to do with space.
    Yes its the co-ordination which is hard, and that many in the game don't understand english.
    Team chat would be good if in the same lingo.
  • Options
    frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My only complaint is that my turrets and generators get slaughtered before I'm done with the animation to summon them :(
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the problem as always is the failoptionals. apparently this one is also delivered broken so you have to keep playing and hope for targs just like in viscous cycle with avoiding the anomaly. That was left unfixed for many many months.

I would do kobali for the doohickies and bug hunt for the marks or else do brotherhood on normal unless or until they fix it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    rygelx16rygelx16 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree, it's not about coordination or communication, stuff just hits way too hard for normal. No other ground mission hits that hard.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

In my experience, many aren't even aware team chat exists. Or the chat window is minimized from their first run (often by accident).

Most people play tactical officers and try to DPS everything to death. That's a fact, 51% of characters as of the last infographic (which is a flawed representation of data anyway but moving on).

I had a guy earlier today who thought it was okay to berate the rest of the team for not doing well despite the fact he spent most the mission doing exactly that, throwing damage everywhere and achieving precisely nothing. I don't even need to go through parse data to see that.

People need to learn that damage isn't everything. In fact it really is down to strategy and competence with your build. The best people are people who can work well with others and adapt to the situation at hand, and as the person I quoted said, pugs 99% of the time aren't capable of such. People like the idiot I encountered today are part of the reason why, sheer ignorance.
    rygelx16 wrote: »
    I agree, it's not about coordination or communication, stuff just hits way too hard for normal. No other ground mission hits that hard.

I can't say I find it difficult combat wise even on Advanced, haven't had a chance to do Elite yet as no one seems to want to do it :/
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't find it difficult even if it may take several tries before getting the 3 activations right.

All people need to know is 3 things:

-getting shot doesn't interrupt you so, unless you have low health and shield, ignore the enemies shooting you

-enemies don't stop respawning until you activate the 3 devices (where most of them (except fused constructs) vanish) so, at best, ignore them, at worse, have someone to aggro them so they don't kill or knock you down before you finish the activation

-you need to complete any optional (or required in advanced and elite) objective before activating the 3 devices, otherwise you fail
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Too difficult? L2P! Yes, L2P. You dont even have to kill much, just 1 squad of heralds and the Boss. Learn to communicate via the chat. Thats all you need for that mission.
    In fact you only need one more for it, one teammember capable of understanding the very easy objective. Since one player can deactivate two devices (the first and one of the seconds).

If you cant do that, dont let the doorhandle hit you on the way out.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Too difficult? L2P! Yes, L2P. You dont even have to kill much, just 1 squad of heralds and the Boss. Learn to communicate via the chat. Thats all you need for that mission.

If you cant do that, dont let the doorhandle hit you on the way out.

How many languages do you speak?
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This mission is easy if you're not terrible at ground combat and know how to play your toon. Kagran practically screams what you need to do repeatedly, so coordination shouldn't be too hard if people have more than one braincell. Just watch out for Thralls. They're basically rogues that like to backstab you. They deal a ton of flank damage especially if you're crouched.
  • Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What? A MMO game that requires basic communication/teamplay? The horror!!!:rolleyes:

Some people really should just stick to single player games....

The only annoying thing about BoS are bugs like the targs not moving.
  • Options
    elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I had a guy earlier today who thought it was okay to berate the rest of the team for not doing well despite the fact he spent most the mission doing exactly that, throwing damage everywhere and achieving precisely nothing. I don't even need to go through parse data to see that.

People need to learn that damage isn't everything. In fact it really is down to strategy and competence with your build. The best people are people who can work well with others and adapt to the situation at hand, and as the person I quoted said, pugs 99% of the time aren't capable of such. People like the idiot I encountered today are part of the reason why, sheer ignorance.

This! Very well said. I wish there will missions designed against "dps-fascism" :-) but the sad truth is we know how it goes with design and difficulty in STO.
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Too hard? Well, I was able to get it on the first try with my Fed main in a public match. After the first area everyone figured out what to do really quickly even without talking. So no, it's not too hard on easy mode.

I do however simply LOVE the fact that it seems to have those failable "optional" objectives that everybody enjoys so much on Advanced. Those are an absolute BLAST. Stupid mission failing in area two because of some objective that was so far down the list you couldn't even see it...:mad: .
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I played through this level on normal in a pug first try, we figured it out and beat it easy peasy.

Though in Elite, it gets more appropriately challenging... so much so, haven't won one yet because the pug team never communicated to one another.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You don't even have to fight much in this mission. Just use those devices whenever they become interactable and stay alive while doing so.

I pugged this on normal and was done in, like, 7 minutes tops.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    After doing it a number of times on normal, my take is that PuGs can't handle spawns near consoles and die either before or while interacting with them.

The most difficult part for me is locating the damn consoles. There's also always someone who will run to the first console in sight and activate it before other players are ready, causing the first interaction to fail. But it usually works after two or three attempts.

I have no issues with the difficulty of the mission on Normal, but I'm biased as I tend to carry the team (I'm a ground-focused Engineer with Elite gear.)
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    standupwookiestandupwookie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I played the entire game, max all reputation and all crafting, max gear, multiple ships and everything else without typing a single thing in chat. Now all of a sudden there is a ground mission that requires some type of talking....

sorry, much easier to never take the mission and just do the easy space mission.

I don't feel like communicating in this game, never had to before. Playing original EQ for years, sure because that required communication from the moment you entered the game.

STO is a single player game with casual grouping that should not require any real thought or communication....lol.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most people play tactical officers and try to DPS everything to death. That's a fact, 51% of characters as of the last infographic (which is a flawed representation of data anyway but moving on).

I can't say I find it difficult combat wise even on Advanced, haven't had a chance to do Elite yet as no one seems to want to do it :/
    Yeah, this is one of those missions where you can't just wipe the enemies then do interacts. you have a few people do interacts while the others distract the enemies. Then you kill the boss.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hate when players blame the mission and not themselves.

All 5 player queues require some form of strategy (or thinking) the problem is that most players go in thinking it’s just a kill,kill,kill until the leave button pops up kind of mission.

They all forget to do the most simplest of things which is read your objective window.

Ask around to see what kind of strategy is being used, look it up on you tube, use your resources be for you start saying it’s too hard.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Give it time, people will get better in Brotherhood of the Sword and understand what needs to happen. Even in PUGs.

Bug Hunt was the same when it first came out until more and more people finally understood it. Right now, PUGs do BHE sleepwalking.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Give it time, people will get better in Brotherhood of the Sword and understand what needs to happen. Even in PUGs.

Bug Hunt was the same when it first came out until more and more people finally understood it. Right now, PUGs do BHE sleepwalking.

This. It's a new queue, just give people time to learn it. Same goes for the Heralds themselves, the first time I played Blood of the Ancients, I died so many times. Then I learned their tactics and how to counter.

Tip: ALWAYS aim for the Thralls. Constructs aren't that dangerous in small numbers, but the Thralls will jack you up. IMO, Thralls are more dangerous than Defilers.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The mission itself is pretty easy. All I've doe are PUGs and the only times I've failed it were due to lag knocking players out of the game.

As long as 3 people figure out what they're supposed to do, (2 if you already know what to do), then you can get through it.

I will say that, while the heralds aren't particularly resilient, I do feel they hit too hard on normal. Routinely getting hit for triple digit values, in the 2-3 hundred range, on normal, with mk xiv gear, is kind of disappointing & frustrating. All their melee attacks seem to have 100% shield penetration, (I wish my shotgun did), and tier those standard beam attacks can't see to decide if they are ignoring shields or not.

I played one game where lag knocked all the players out but me right before the herald leader and tried to solo him. I managed to do it, but it took forever since it was a constant cycle of: run up, take a shot/use a special ability, 3 hits dead, respawn repeat.

I've been dreading advanced an elite, simply because I'll probably be one shot-ed by everything.