test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Video Card Compatability

trebornotlawtrebornotlaw Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Okay so I'll admit it right off the bat...I don't know $#!T about video cards...zip. So looking at a list of min and preferred specs doesn't help me that much, especially when my card is not explicitly listed. So with that said. Is an NVIDIA NVS 315 good enough to run STO? It seemed to run pretty well right before Season 10 dropped, but now the loader crashes on me. The drivers are version 9.18.13.4752 with a publish date of 2/5/15....If the card is the problem then I'll just move on....thanks.
Post edited by trebornotlaw on

Comments

• Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, the thing with that card is that it is a business grade card, and not in any way shape or form designed for gaming. Yes, it did run it before, but the drivers for NVS series cards are not tailored for gaming, and I doubt Cryptic has put any time into testing or verifying on it. S10 introduced some new stuff graphics-wise, and that seems to have adversely effected you. Keep in mind that no game company I am aware of tests OR guarantees operation on business grade cards like the NVS or Quadro or FireGL series, and both nVidia and AMD state pretty clearly that they are garbage for consumer grade applications, i.e. games.

Based on the quick specs for that card, it's somewhere in the 8000 or 9000 series in terms of performance, despite it being on some newer architecture, so it's basically at the very low end of what STO can run on.

TL;DR....yeah, it's the card.

Edit: Just curious why you are using that card...it's not something you see very often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay so I'll admit it right off the bat...I don't know $#!T about video cards...zip. So looking at a list of min and preferred specs doesn't help me that much, especially when my card is not explicitly listed. So with that said. Is an NVIDIA NVS 315 good enough to run STO? It seemed to run pretty well right before Season 10 dropped, but now the loader crashes on me. The drivers are version 9.18.13.4752 with a publish date of 2/5/15....If the card is the problem then I'll just move on....thanks.

it isn't you. this is something effecting many people regardless of their hardware.

try starting in safe mode and manually setting it to DX9
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chaospimpchaospimp Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i cnt see any of my weapons ground and space unless i zoom in BADLY
    i didnt have this kind of problems in the past before s10 came out
    guess they messed up yet another game
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015

there's custom-made drivers out there for the NVS series of cards ( you might want to google that ) .Basically it's the normal NVS drivers with dll's added from "non business " cards , in this case the 8000M series .
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    rikwessels wrote: »
    there's custom-made drivers out there for the NVS series of cards ( you might want to google that ) .Basically it's the normal NVS drivers with dll's added from "non business " cards , in this case the 8000M series .

Yeah, but even at that point, we're talking about a card that was BARELY within spec to run STO at release...effectively, it's been running on borrowed time from the moment they did the first enhancement to any of the game graphics.

Yes, a lot of people have been having issues, but the fact is that a card of that level, due to the fact that they keep heaping nonsensical graphics enhancements into STO, is not adequate for STO, or really any game later than Doom 3. It just isn't. Yes, the issues need to be fixed, and that may indeed fix the issues with his/her card, but I wouldn't bet on it being able to run STO reliably going forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    trebornotlawtrebornotlaw Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jornado wrote: »
    Well, the thing with that card is that it is a business grade card, and not in any way shape or form designed for gaming. Yes, it did run it before, but the drivers for NVS series cards are not tailored for gaming, and I doubt Cryptic has put any time into testing or verifying on it. S10 introduced some new stuff graphics-wise, and that seems to have adversely effected you. Keep in mind that no game company I am aware of tests OR guarantees operation on business grade cards like the NVS or Quadro or FireGL series, and both nVidia and AMD state pretty clearly that they are garbage for consumer grade applications, i.e. games.

Based on the quick specs for that card, it's somewhere in the 8000 or 9000 series in terms of performance, despite it being on some newer architecture, so it's basically at the very low end of what STO can run on.

TL;DR....yeah, it's the card.

Edit: Just curious why you are using that card...it's not something you see very often.

Thanks Jornado. This is a Precision Workstation...I play on my lunch break and slow times in the office...hence the business grade card. Booting in safe mode seems to fix the problem, but I assumed the card was at or very close to barely playable...however it runs really well surprisingly. I don't expect that to last though. Thanks!
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    this is what i'm getting...

Nvidia%20420_zpsgza6jfcy.jpg

not every time as it seems to be random but combine this with the lag issues when I finally get on is making it dam near impossible to play anymore.

even when I run it in safe mode and set too dx9 it looks horrible.

all other games run like they did before and I know that my card is old GT420 but even Elite dangerous runs fine..

Hope this gets sorted soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    this is what i'm getting...

Nvidia%20420_zpsgza6jfcy.jpg

not every time as it seems to be random but combine this with the lag issues when I finally get on is making it dam near impossible to play anymore.

even when I run it in safe mode and set too dx9 it looks horrible.

all other games run like they did before and I know that my card is old GT420 but even Elite dangerous runs fine..

Hope this gets sorted soon.

ED is a MUCH better optimized game.

What you are seeing there looks like a driver crash - yes, the issue is probably still with STO if you aren't getting it in other games, but try updating your drivers.

And, as with the OP, that's not really a gaming card, and going forward don't expect it to keep working well with STO or other games past a certain point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]