test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Audio Distortions post s10

bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
This issue started yesterday after season 10. I'm getting an echo, reverb sound in my speakers when going into battle which causes the sound to distort with pops, crackles and noise. I reset my card to defaults in case something had been messed up but the problem persists. I tried a few other games but nothing was out of the ordinary there. Is anyone else experiencing this? While the game is down I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I don't know what else to try. Thanks

SoundBlaster Z
Win7 32
In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
Post edited by bannon3 on

Comments

• Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm experiencing an intermittent popping or crackling sound as well. I notice most often in "quiet" game areas like the costume and ship tailor. This may only be because I'm not as conscientious of it when there is more ambient environmental noise. For me it started shortly before season 10 began. Like yourself STO is the exception where all other applications audio is working correctly.

AMD hda audio device (laptop bus)
    WIN 7 64
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, audio crackle in the tailors, and its regular, has a 2 second or so heartbeat effect...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm sorry this is plaguing you as well I take no comfort in not being alone on this one. I will see what happens when today's maintenace ends. There was a period a long while back where the game had messed up sound, back then they acknowledged issues and it took over a month to fix. So Im wondering if this is widespread or not because the game is almost unplayable with the sound behaving this way. Good luck to you both in resolving it.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If everyone could post their sound card and basic system specs, figuring out the issue might be easier.

Aside from that, Cryptic breaks the audio in some fashion just about quarterly, and in some cases it stays broken for long periods of time. C'est la vie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah Im still having problems, its almost unplayable. The keyboard is acting up too, I am typing to a friend and all the windows are opening as I type. They messed up good this time Im afraid.
    I have windows 7 32 bit with a Sound Blaster Z Series card. All drivers up to date.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Got simular problems since S10, aside from all the other lag/rubberbanding/fps drops ect. Crackling sounds with even more fps loss... its getting really frustrating now!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well, including myself, that's 3 soundblaster Zs with issues, and one AMD HDA. Both of those solutions use powerful programmable DSP chips. Upon testing, my AMD audio has the same crackle issues, and my motherboard sound does not.

I would assume that somewhere STO's software DSP is fighting or just improperly using the hardware DSP on more advanced chips.

No ideas for a fix yet, I'll see if I can figure out anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jornado wrote: »
    Well, including myself, that's 3 soundblaster Zs with issues, and one AMD HDA. Both of those solutions use powerful programmable DSP chips. Upon testing, my AMD audio has the same crackle issues, and my motherboard sound does not.

I would assume that somewhere STO's software DSP is fighting or just improperly using the hardware DSP on more advanced chips.

No ideas for a fix yet, I'll see if I can figure out anything.

Using a laptop (PM55 Express-chipset with intel high definition audio)... kinda meh but it works, until S10 though. Tried changing to digital audio in game and switching to DX9 with no effect.

Edit: new patch, still getting the crackling sound, then fps drops and freezing and what not...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Using a laptop (PM55 Express-chipset with intel high definition audio)... kinda meh but it works, until S10 though. Tried changing to digital audio in game and switching to DX9 with no effect.

Edit: new patch, still getting the crackling sound, then fps drops and freezing and what not...

Well bang goes my elaborate theory. I guess that's why large data sets are useful.

Hrm....does it help anyone to turn off digital signal processing in the STO menu? Shooting in the dark here...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    voth space battlezone, still the same problems as reported previously, if not worse :(
  • Options
    doctorfunke1doctorfunke1 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ive been having this issue too, it usually happens when there alot of enemy ships, at first I thought it was just the Herald ships, and only durring PvE, like the Borg ones, but I had it on some of the replay solo missions lately.
    Im running a GA P55 with Intel i5, 16GB RAM, AMD 7900HD, Realtek sound.

Its becoming unplayable for missions, Ive turned down the graphics slider as low as it can go and it doesnt help at all, I thought about building a new computer, but I want to make sure its software and not hardware.
  • Options
    denniskr87denniskr87 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    After several maintenance updates, problems with cracking sound ,and FPS drops is still present... Runing game in XP(Sp3) compability mode, fixes FPS drops, but then there is no sound at all... Do you planing fix that problem or not? after over a month, there is no answers by devs...
  • Options
    ashmysterashmyster Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I am experiencing similar things with SoundBlaster Zx as well.

Another issue that is really troublesome is that sometimes, the game will completely make my sound disappear altogether.
    The device shows still there, the sound icon is there, everything is as it was. But there is just no sound at ALL from any system component.
    The only way to "fix" it, is a full system restart. Needless to say, it's quite infuriating.
  • Options
    hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    I have the same crackling noise on my Sound Blaster Z. Only I had it right from when I started playing like over a year ago. This never got fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]